Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Huh, the Planetary omnibus is $50 on Amazon right now.

Welp.

http://www.instocktrades.com/TP/DC/PLANETARY-OMNIBUS-HC/SEP130279
41.25 on IST ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!

Dammit, purchased.

Kurash
May 12, 2008

I think what's most endearing about Planetary is that the good guys are actually good. I think any comic you can apply the term 'metawank' certainly has a serious danger of pulling out the rug on the reader about what is and isn't real, and exactly what part of the story you were lied to. And while Planetary has it's moments of betrayal and mystery, it played fair, which is frankly stunning considering it's place as another turn-of-the-millenneum third-party imprint . It's one of the few comics that completely dragged me into it and I was rooting for Elijah the whole way through.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Unbeatable Squirrel Girl 2

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

STiL. posted:

I think what's most endearing about Planetary is that the good guys are actually good. I think any comic you can apply the term 'metawank' certainly has a serious danger of pulling out the rug on the reader about what is and isn't real, and exactly what part of the story you were lied to. And while Planetary has it's moments of betrayal and mystery, it played fair, which is frankly stunning considering it's place as another turn-of-the-millenneum third-party imprint . It's one of the few comics that completely dragged me into it and I was rooting for Elijah the whole way through.

I think it was stated earlier in the thread that Planetary is about a guy going on a "gently caress you I'm gonna non-evilly save the world and make it a legit better place" rampage.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Uthor posted:

:D

I had a few classes with Erica Henderson in college, and it was really loving cool to see her get handed squirrel girl. I am pleased as punch to see it getting some recognition here.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Uthor posted:

Those are some gangsta rear end robot poses in the first panel.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Gavok posted:

Even without that, the dialogue in the pages I posted makes it pretty clear Goro plans to kill Mileena instead of serve under her. That's even a plot point earlier in the issue where Reiko more or less tells her, "Goro's probably going to try and kill you. Let's let them kill each other and if either survives, I'll take care of it later."

Man, gently caress Reiko.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?
I picked up issue 1 of Mortal Kombat and thought it was pretty boring tripe. Should I have stuck with it?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

KayTee posted:

I picked up issue 1 of Mortal Kombat and thought it was pretty boring tripe. Should I have stuck with it?

I like it because I genuinely love Mortal Kombat's crazy-rear end mythology. The Kotal Kahn arc (which would be the third print issue) was good fun, even if the art took a dive due to fill-ins and the creative team gets Mayan and Aztec culture mixed up.

On the subject, a few weeks ago, I ranked every single Mortal Kombat character. And since I go worst to best, it begins with...

404GoonNotFound posted:

Man, gently caress Reiko.

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot
What does it truly take to be a Red Lantern?

Answer:

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Berk Berkly posted:

What does it truly take to be a Red Lantern?

Answer:

I haven't seen an angry baby punch someone that hard since Bryan Danielson fought Takeshi Morishima.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Gavok posted:

I haven't seen an angry baby punch someone that hard since Bryan Danielson fought Takeshi Morishima.

Not when Kurt Angle went at it with Samoa Joe?

(I don't even know who the angry baby would be in this pair, actually)

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Gavok posted:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

onepunch man 43.2

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

That baby getting punched will never not be glorious. Took it like a total champ. :allears:

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

All is, if i have grace to use it so...

At least he doesn't have any teeth to get knocked out, or they'll be replaced... eventually.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

OH. poo poo.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Keep in mind, when Saitama is really serious, he looks like more this:

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
That's more when he's in Hero Mode and determined to keep people safe. What you see there is the gaunt, chilling death stare of the strongest man in the universe as he lets it be known that he is tired of your poo poo.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Nope, it's pretty well-established that the better Saitama is drawn, the less he's loving around. He knows he doesn't have to get serious to take Sonic down.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Sonic should have learned from their last fight.

Kurash
May 12, 2008

Are we even going to provide context here, or is this the Badass Panels And Also Onepunch-Man Enthusiasts thread?

note: I would actually prefer no context and no panel, since the circlejerk over every issue is not only tiresome (there's absolutely nothing badass going on ahhhh) but it actively makes me not want to read the thread seeing how a weekly release schedule is a loving disaster and I'm perfectly content just to let issues pile up over a few months so I actually have something to read and enjoy. Please don't make me choose between enjoying Onepunch-Man and enjoying this thread.

e: an actual badass Onepunch-Man panel:

Kurash fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Feb 28, 2015

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Alright alright so I'm reading through One Punch Man and it's a blast.

What's with some chapters that are redone though? They just go 'Whoops, that was kind of lame, here it is, AND ITS EVEN BETTER NOW'.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

SynthOrange posted:

Alright alright so I'm reading through One Punch Man and it's a blast.

What's with some chapters that are redone though? They just go 'Whoops, that was kind of lame, here it is, AND ITS EVEN BETTER NOW'.

There's two versions. The original by ONE, and then the redraw by Murata (which is what everyone is posting here). The redraw will do a chapter and then he'll realize "Oh I could make this way cooler." and redo the chapter to be even better. He does this for no other reason than he thinks the scene should be cooler. From what I understand the redraw is no where near close to catching up to ONE.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

It getting there.
The ONE version hasnt been updated in a very long time.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Rigged Death Trap posted:

It getting there.
The ONE version hasnt been updated in a very long time.

It has been like two weeks.

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10

Even transformers know of the awesomeness that is the fastball special.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Turns out all you need to have Daredevil driving a car go from goofy to awesome is Chris Samnee and Mark Waid.
From Daredevil #12

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Sit down, son, ol' Hornhead has his DRIVIN' cane.

(Good thing there was a convertible nearby.)

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Anyone got the panels from Marvel Team-Up #88 of Sue Storm handing the wheel to Spider-Man during a high speed chase (Spider-Man doesn't know how to drive).

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Say Nothing posted:

(Spider-Man doesn't know how to drive).

But... but... Spider-Mobile?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

He just drives it when he has to/feels like it, but even back in the 70s when Mr. Fantastic (I think) unveiled it Spider-Man was all "this is really nice but you know I can't drive right?" and that was enough to keep it from becoming a regular thing.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

mind the walrus posted:

He just drives it when he has to/feels like it, but even back in the 70s when Mr. Fantastic (I think) unveiled it Spider-Man was all "this is really nice but you know I can't drive right?" and that was enough to keep it from becoming a regular thing.

Yeah, IIRC its first appearance ends with Spider-Man driving the thing into the Hudson, doesn't it?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

TwoPair posted:

Yeah, IIRC its first appearance ends with Spider-Man driving the thing into the Hudson, doesn't it?

He was capable of doing Doughnuts on the side of the Daily Bugle building during the Dan Slott Spider-man /Human Torch mini.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

The Question IRL posted:

He was capable of doing Doughnuts on the side of the Daily Bugle building during the Dan Slott Spider-man /Human Torch mini.

Stunt driving, totally different skillset.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

The Question IRL posted:

I think this belongs here because the sheer balls it takes for you to gently caress with J. Jonah "I will personally pilot a robot built to destroy you" Jameson is pretty badass.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Fuego Fish posted:

I think this belongs here because the sheer balls it takes for you to gently caress with J. Jonah "I will personally pilot a robot built to destroy you" Jameson is pretty badass.
:allears:

No.1 page in Spider-Man history, right here.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Fuego Fish posted:

Always remember he's responsible for The Scorpion. He had a super-villain made specifically to kill Spider-Man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
And he's the only guy in Marvel who can wear that mustache without reflexively getting punched in the face by Captain America.