Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

T-Bone posted:

More on Counterfeit-Dominion gate -- does anyone's Intrigue say 'Made in USA' on it?

Wait, what? People are counterfeiting Dominion?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noaloha
Dec 28, 2012

T-Bone posted:

More on Counterfeit-Dominion gate -- does anyone's Intrigue say 'Made in USA' on it?

Dunno if anyone remembers, but I posted a week ago as a newcomer to the hobby, asking for recommendations on 2-player games. I picked up a copy of regular Dominion (not Intrigue) as part of that.

My copy, purchased from what I believe to be a perfectly reputable store in Stockholm, has 'Made In The U.S.A. With Pride' printed on the front, and the tray insert with the card names is printed in what looks like bold Courier font. Reading through that BGG thread, am I to suspect that my board game purchasing cherry was popped with a Chinese knock-off? The way people are discussing the issue in that thread mostly assumes a level of familiarity with what the game should look like, a familiarity that I'm without.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I've been trying to find a game that my girlfriend would like. She refuses to play Agricola (Family mode) because "there's too much going on." Her three criteria for a board game are Simple, Pretty, and Fun. She also wants something with cool components and player tokens and something with a modern setting. I also highly doubt she would be into card-heavy games.

I wanted her to like Castles of Mad King soo bad, but that failed. She insists there's too much happening :smith:. I don't know if she's simply not able to get into board games or if I am going about it the wrong way. At least she seemed to like Pandemic when she saw it on Tabletop. So I'm thinking something like Pandemic, but for reason I am not personally drawn to it.

Any suggestions?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Frijolero posted:

I've been trying to find a game that my girlfriend would like. She refuses to play Agricola (Family mode) because "there's too much going on." Her three criteria for a board game are Simple, Pretty, and Fun. She also wants something with cool components and player tokens and something with a modern setting. I also highly doubt she would be into card-heavy games.

I wanted her to like Castles of Mad King soo bad, but that failed. She insists there's too much happening :smith:. I don't know if she's simply not able to get into board games or if I am going about it the wrong way. At least she seemed to like Pandemic when she saw it on Tabletop. So I'm thinking something like Pandemic, but for reason I am not personally drawn to it.

Any suggestions?

Takenoko?

Zveroboy
Apr 17, 2007

If you take those sheep again I will bury this fucking axe in your skull.

Frijolero posted:

Any suggestions?

I can highly recommend Pandemic and there's also Flash Point: Fire Rescue which has no cards and is a bit easier to teach and play, but it's more random than Pandemic.

My girlfriend really likes Sushi Dice which is a great dice-rolling game in which the players compete to fill sushi orders, it even comes with a bell you can furiously pound on when you complete an order.

Others can probably recommend a lot of other games, I know Takenoko gets recommended a lot though I haven't played it myself.

It's admirable that you want to get your girlfriend into gaming, I know from experience it's not an easy process. My girlfriend was mortified the first time we went into my FLGS to buy a copy of Settlers of Catan, now 18 months later she enjoys Dominion, Scoville, Sushi Dice and Quantum but heavier fayre (like Agricola with all the Minor Improvements and Occupations) isn't her cup of tea.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

Frijolero posted:

Her three criteria for a board game are Simple, Pretty, and Fun. She also wants something with cool components and player tokens and something with a modern setting. I also highly doubt she would be into card-heavy games.

Uhh.. Ticket To Ride? Are trains not modern enough?

Tough requirements, actually.

Noaloha
Dec 28, 2012
Further to my above post, some photos, http://minus.com/mbbGGYwYHZhaog

The damage on the insert was there straight out of the (shrink-wrapped) box.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Frijolero posted:

Any suggestions?

Pandemic: Contagion might work. There are cards, but they're basically just coloured sets. It also features Petri dishes, relatively simple "argh!" mechanics, colourful cubes and the chance to kill everyone in New York.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
Tell me thoughts on Dominant Species.

Zveroboy
Apr 17, 2007

If you take those sheep again I will bury this fucking axe in your skull.

Jedit posted:

Pandemic: Contagion might work. There are cards, but they're basically just coloured sets. It also features Petri dishes, relatively simple "argh!" mechanics, colourful cubes and the chance to kill everyone in New York.

Seconding. People also seem love that each cube represents one million infected people.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Bubble-T posted:

Uhh.. Ticket To Ride? Are trains not modern enough?

Tough requirements, actually.

This is why we have gateway games. Carcassonne and Catan might actually be good options too, because they are simple as gently caress to understand and can be used to trick people into more complex stuff later.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Frijolero posted:

Any suggestions?

I am going to second the recommendation of Ticket to Ride. There are only two "things going on" you pick some cards or you play trains. The trains and board are quite cool component wise (even more so if you get the anniversary edition). My "non-boardgaming" friend actually has a copy and his wife always wants to bring it out. They are not gamers at all they only other games they own are Munchkin, Risk, and Cards Against Humanity (you can guess which one I try and nudge us to playing when I'm over). If your girl friend don't like Ticket to Ride she won't like anything.

Of course once you start thinking of Ticket to Ride in terms of "Take Resource action" and "Buy Victory Point Action" then it becomes just another worker placement game and you have trapped her. Every game becomes "oh honey it's just Ticket to Ride with Sheep instead of Trains" :twisted:

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Mar 2, 2015

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

The Narrator posted:

Tell me thoughts on Dominant Species.

It's very mean, very, very good and one of my favorite games. I find that a game will take forever if any players tries to puzzle out exactly what they're going to do, but if everyone can get into the mindset that they should just do what their animal needs in general it plays pretty fast. It's pointless to make a super detailed plan since someone else will screw it up for you. Just go "I need some more loving bugs to gently caress up those birds!" and work towards that.
It's probably not for people who don't like their carefully laid plans to fall apart or people who don't like confrontational games. I've also seen some guys struggle with the pretty technical sounding action names, but they're all pretty simple in the end.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I'm about 20 hours late on this but regarding Galaxy Trucker: I'd recommend starting with only the base game for the first couple times you play. For the very first round, you should leave out the aliens (as the rulebook suggests). Once you've gotten a feel for the base game you can start introducing expansion parts a few at a time. I suggest you leave intruders and relevant pieces (from expansion 2) and overcharger pieces (from expansion 1) until last, those seem to cause the most trouble.

Also do not play with the torus ship from the mini-expansion until you've gotten a couple of hundred games under your belt.

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
So Samurai Spirit seems to have finally snuck into UK stores and I'm really impressed by it. Only played 2-player so far but my friend immediately declared he preferred it to Ghost Stories, and it's nice to see a game that plays in the playtime it lists. We made one relatively minor mistake in that we didn't notice you put raiders into the intruder stack when you support another Samurai, but that would have only happened two or three times over the course of the 3 games we played.

Has anyone played it with a much larger number of players (like 5-7) and can speak to how the strategy changes? For us it was mostly a case of when to use the free support tokens that were set aside, but I imagine more players becomes much more combo based, and quarterbacking could really take effect.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Frijolero posted:

Any suggestions?

She sounds like my wife.

No matter what, she just doesn't like board games. She says one or two look cool, but then has no interest in actually sitting and learning, or playing the games. She says she does, but when it comes time to commit some time or concentration, then she doesn't feel like it.

I've given up, she's not going to enjoy gaming. I think it's because her job and main hobby is pretty energetic (she's a horse rider at work and at home) and she finds it hard to get into things that are more relaxed and involve not moving around too much.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

BonHair posted:

Wait, what? People are counterfeiting Dominion?

Possibly with our copies, definitely somewhere: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1328201/did-i-get-knockoff-copy/page/1

One of the members of the Dominion team responds in the first couple of replies there saying those defects aren't normal and that they know of counterfeits from China.

Noaloha posted:

Dunno if anyone remembers, but I posted a week ago as a newcomer to the hobby, asking for recommendations on 2-player games. I picked up a copy of regular Dominion (not Intrigue) as part of that.

My copy, purchased from what I believe to be a perfectly reputable store in Stockholm, has 'Made In The U.S.A. With Pride' printed on the front, and the tray insert with the card names is printed in what looks like bold Courier font. Reading through that BGG thread, am I to suspect that my board game purchasing cherry was popped with a Chinese knock-off? The way people are discussing the issue in that thread mostly assumes a level of familiarity with what the game should look like, a familiarity that I'm without.

Interesting -- just saw your post. I sent something into Rio Grande last night. Your base copy sounds and looks pretty much exactly like my Intrigue. Waiting to hear back from them.

I guess I'm going to hold off on going through with my refund until I hear from the source (if the designer wasn't enough) that it's not a legit copy. Although even if it is legit I'm disappointed in RGG because the printing blows (flimsier stock, faded colors, etc) compared to my original.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Mar 2, 2015

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
Anyone have any experience with Legends of Andor?

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Frijolero posted:

Any suggestions?

Get Forbidden Desert and Sushi Go

They are right up your alley

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Frijolero posted:

Any suggestions?

I would have suggested Galaxy Trucker since it has nice components and little space guys and aliens and batteries etc. Honestly I don't really think you'll be able to get her into the hobby though. There's a specific type of person that will always claim something is too complicated if it's any more than roll to move. The brother of one of my friends is like that, and just totally shuts down his brain if he ever plays a game - not recalling how anything works or what to do on a turn and so on, to the point that simple crappy fair like Munchkin is "Overly complicated" and "Confusing" despite everything you need to know being right on the card. Pandemic itself isn't particularly visually notable so I think just trending towards As Seen On TableTop is sadly your best solution.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Frijolero posted:

Any suggestions?

Tragedy Looper

:getin:

My fiancee also gets kinda bored with overly complicated games, but it's not always easy to figure out what that might be. Sometimes good, fun mechanics or theme can supersede 'complexity'.

Like, she finds Agricola and Lords of Waterdeep kinda dull. LOTR LCG she never remembers how each step goes or how strategy should work so it bores her.

Yet she loves Castles of Burgundy, which has some pretty tricky rules here and there (ships, scoring). Galaxy Trucker is one of her favorites, even though she's much worse at shipbuilding than me.

Love Letter is a simple gateway.

I'd say Flash Point is probably your best bet. It's thematic, modern, simple, and pretty fun.

Hive is kinda pretty.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Speaking of Galaxy Trucker, does anyone have an idea of how to "defeat yourself" in the android app? It's the mission where building time doesn't matter, because the AI doesn't build at all. They just get an exact copy of the ship you build, and automatically start before you.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

golden bubble posted:

Speaking of Galaxy Trucker, does anyone have an idea of how to "defeat yourself" in the android app? It's the mission where building time doesn't matter, because the AI doesn't build at all. They just get an exact copy of the ship you build, and automatically start before you.
I haven't done it myself yet, but could you possibly take advantage of them encountering things first to jump ahead the first time the AI takes a planet or shoots a dude?

Alternatively, if it's a combat heavy set of events, intentionally short yourself on batteries so they get blasted to pieces once they run out?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
For :toxx: purposes here is my proof of payment for Huntsekkers excellent pyrotechnics show. My hope is that Huntsekker will put it towards the purchase of a better game than Munchkin also drat the Canada/US exchange rate is a real bitch right now

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

Does anyone have a recommendation for bowls / dishes to store cubes and chits in during games? I was thinking of picking up these but want to see if anyone else has any suggestions.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Rutibex posted:

For :toxx: purposes here is my proof of payment for Huntsekkers excellent pyrotechnics show. My hope is that Huntsekker will put it towards the purchase of a better game than Munchkin also drat the Canada/US exchange rate is a real bitch right now

The tab with a dice tower top ten video is a nice touch.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

golden bubble posted:

As far as I can tell the only way is to set it up to get killed on a Combat Zone by running out of population, because it always starts ahead of you and always ties you on everything, so it always loses combat zones unless you jump it. I've not succeeded yet though and kind of given up bothering. You can just dock when you arrive if you cant be bothered fussing with it.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Scyther posted:

The tab with a dice tower top ten video is a nice touch.

Tom Vassle is my guilty pleasure, I never miss a top 10 video :shobon:

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

burger time posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation for bowls / dishes to store cubes and chits in during games? I was thinking of picking up these but want to see if anyone else has any suggestions.

I use these, a lot cheaper and easier to store.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

burger time posted:

http://www.origami-instructions.com/origami-box.html

It folds flat for storage.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Look at the current BGG top 25 and then compare it to the BGG top 25 of 2006. The impact of thematic games is certainly being felt throughout the hobby.

2006 top 25

Puerto Rico
Euphrat & Tigris
Caylus
Power Grid
El Grande
Princes of Florence
Die Macher
Age of Steam
Ra
Commands & Colors Ancients
War of the Ring
Twilight Struggle
Goa
Wallenstein
Paths of Glory
Hannibal: Rome vs. Carthage
Memoir '44
Railways of the World / Railroad Tycoon
Yinsh
Go
Settlers of Catan
Modern Art
Taj Mahal
Hammer of the Scots
Samurai

Sure there are some that are still with us, but even as I don't care for thematics much or co-ops, I think the more diversity in the popular selections, the better off the hobby will be in attracting more people.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Yeah except regular paper is not strong enough to support things like coins, and once you have to get heavier paper then the cost savings are much less.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Lorini posted:

I use these, a lot cheaper and easier to store.

We use these and they are a life saver. It makes putting up Puerto Rico, Le Havre, Castles of Burgendy, and Agricola really fast or even setting up. I really can't remember the last time I actually stacked chits and other pieces of cardboard for these games.

For randomization i'll just put my hand over the bowl of what's left and shake and just look like i'm doing a lottery drawing.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I'm really excited to see what other euro classics FFG reprints. Tigris & Euphrates was an awesome experience.

Noaloha
Dec 28, 2012

T-Bone posted:

Possibly with our copies, definitely somewhere: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1328201/did-i-get-knockoff-copy/page/1

One of the members of the Dominion team responds in the first couple of replies there saying those defects aren't normal and that they know of counterfeits from China.

Interesting -- just saw your post. I sent something into Rio Grande last night. Your base copy sounds and looks pretty much exactly like my Intrigue. Waiting to hear back from them.

I guess I'm going to hold off on going through with my refund until I hear from the source (if the designer wasn't enough) that it's not a legit copy. Although even if it is legit I'm disappointed in RGG because the printing blows (flimsier stock, faded colors, etc) compared to my original.

Reading through the BGG thread you mentioned, it's looking increasingly likely that any issues of print quality with Dominion is due to their production being based out of Hasbro now.

EDIT: as an aside, I'm trying to get on BGG now and I keep getting a redirect to a "Your user account is not permitted to perform that action." message. I only joined the forum this morning so I'm not sure how things go there. Is there a problem with the users end of the site at the moment, or have I been blackballed, or?
EDIT2: ignore the above; logging out and logging back in seems to have fixed stuff

Noaloha fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Mar 2, 2015

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Rutibex posted:

Tom Vassle is my guilty pleasure, I never miss a top 10 video :shobon:

Me too dude. :hfive:

I skip through Sam's bullshit sometimes though. drat that dude can be annoying.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

We use the small glass Pyrex bowls with lids - I found a big set for cheap, and they're great. We call them gaming bowls: glass, nice curved bottom, and a nice lid so you can just chuck it back in the box. I wouldn't want to go back.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Holy poo poo we haven't played tragedy looper all the way through yet but I can already tell this is going to be some members of my play group's new favorite game. Are there any others like this, maybe that accomodate more players? It's like a giant logic puzzle with some rear end in a top hat shuffling the people around (joe is beating sally now but steve is stll two positions behind joe, what place does sally come in?).

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Nevvy Z posted:

Holy poo poo we haven't played tragedy looper all the way through yet but I can already tell this is going to be some members of my play group's new favorite game. Are there any others like this, maybe that accomodate more players? It's like a giant logic puzzle with some rear end in a top hat shuffling the people around (joe is beating sally now but steve is stll two positions behind joe, what place does sally come in?).

Um, Letters from White Chapel and Fury of Dracula have a similar 1 vs all style with hidden information. The logical problem solving is very similar to Zendo and the restricted communication is very similar to Hanabi, except done well. Its honestly a very unique game, but depending on what you like about it any one of those games may satisfy your itch. To be honest, I have yet to find anything that satisfies the same itch for me as Tragedy Looper, it is quite unique.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Noaloha posted:

Reading through the BGG thread you mentioned, it's looking increasingly likely that any issues of print quality with Dominion is due to their production being based out of Hasbro now.

Yeah I think you solved it.

Looks like we just have lovely Hasbro reprints :(

I mean they're very playable but bleh.