Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Harrow posted:

And suddenly everything about that game makes sense.

.....except the plot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

bloodychill posted:

You can't double cast holy!

But you can double cast flare, which was really easy to give Yuna with a black magic sphere and a skill sphere.

Holy can't be doublecast, but to compensate it has a higher base damage than even Ultima. That makes it good for getting overkills, since doublecast doesn't sum the two spells for OK.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

maou shoujo posted:

Holy can't be doublecast, but to compensate it has a higher base damage than even Ultima. That makes it good for getting overkills, since doublecast doesn't sum the two spells for OK.

Which is weird because almost every other multi-hit skill in the game totals them.

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007

corn in the bible posted:

LR is nothing like 13, which is why its good

LR is really nothing like a Final Fantasy game, which is why it's not Final Fantasy XIII-3.

It's tough for me to overstate how much I liked LR. It's not for everybody, though. The prospect of having to meet a specific person at a specific place at a specific time every day for 5 days straight and if you miss one day you have to basically start the entire game over again if you want to finish that quest line is just the sort of poo poo that makes my brain get all tingly for some dumb reason. poo poo like that, combined with one of the best battle systems ever in an RPG, and the ability to get tons of unique looking weapons and costumes, along with one of the weirdest soundtracks in a Final Fantasy game make it probably my favorite Final Fantasy spin-off, or at least tied with Tactics.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
FFX is so weird.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Mischitary posted:

LR is really nothing like a Final Fantasy game, which is why it's not Final Fantasy XIII-3.

It's tough for me to overstate how much I liked LR. It's not for everybody, though. The prospect of having to meet a specific person at a specific place at a specific time every day for 5 days straight and if you miss one day you have to basically start the entire game over again if you want to finish that quest line is just the sort of poo poo that makes my brain get all tingly for some dumb reason. poo poo like that, combined with one of the best battle systems ever in an RPG, and the ability to get tons of unique looking weapons and costumes, along with one of the weirdest soundtracks in a Final Fantasy game make it probably my favorite Final Fantasy spin-off, or at least tied with Tactics.

You'll scare people off with talk like that. I can think of one quest where, after you start it, you have to meet that person again the next day at a pretty specific time. Other than that, there are a couple where you have to meet a person repeatedly in a general time frame, but it's usually like 5 times that can be spread out across whatever 10+ days you want.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Which is weird because almost every other multi-hit skill in the game totals them.

Doublecast isn't a multi-hit skill though, it just specifically casts two single-hit spells, with separate attack rolls for each of them. That's why doing something like Doublcast > Firaga > Blizzaga on a Red Element will still overkill it, since the game won't subtract the absorbed Firaga damage from the Blizzaga damage for Overkilling.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I wish I could enjoy XIII-2 but I hated pokemon collecting and I hated the first two real combat area, and I just quit. I'm considering going back, since I did like XIII and all for some reason, but I dunno.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Volt Catfish posted:

I wish I could enjoy XIII-2 but I hated pokemon collecting and I hated the first two real combat area, and I just quit. I'm considering going back, since I did like XIII and all for some reason, but I dunno.

don't.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Everyone should play XIII-2 and LR

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

no, yes

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
I agree that everyone should play 13-2 but probably not for the reason you're going for.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's bizarre that the XIII port runs flawlessly and looks great during 95% of the game, but for some reason the crystarium drops to like sub 30 frames whenever I open it.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Regardless I've done some hunt and am starting the tunnel part of chapter 11. In my first playthrough I went to this part first doing 0 hunts and it was ball bustingly hard.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

Regardless I've done some hunt and am starting the tunnel part of chapter 11. In my first playthrough I went to this part first doing 0 hunts and it was ball bustingly hard.

Obligatory "the whole game is a tunnel" post.

but seriously, I did minimal hunts too, because I was getting my rear end kicked by enemies, so I figured I was supposed to do them later. But then I got into the Mah'habara Subterra and died even more, so I did some grinding. That three-way fight right outside the entrance was how I spent a lot of time.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Volt Catfish posted:

If you didn't like Pokemon Collecting and the first two combat areas you wouldn't like anything else about the game. Just move on to LR.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

The most disappointing aspect of Final Fantasy XIII-2 was how lame the battles were. FF13 is a game I play for the battles and its sequel shared little of the strategy and intensity of its predecessor.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

morallyobjected posted:

Obligatory "the whole game is a tunnel" post.

but seriously, I did minimal hunts too, because I was getting my rear end kicked by enemies, so I figured I was supposed to do them later. But then I got into the Mah'habara Subterra and died even more, so I did some grinding. That three-way fight right outside the entrance was how I spent a lot of time.

It's kind of funny that so much of FFXIII's main plot was "looks like we're in an ancient grinding spot for l'cie. Guess we have to go grind," or "looks like [main villain] sent us here to make us stronger [by fighting monsters]." Even when you're progressing the story, you're basically just grinding.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Schwartzcough posted:

It's kind of funny that so much of FFXIII's main plot was "looks like we're in an ancient grinding spot for l'cie. Guess we have to go grind," or "looks like [main villain] sent us here to make us stronger [by fighting monsters]." Even when you're progressing the story, you're basically just grinding.

To be fair, I think they just expected you to explore more of the Archylte Steppe and surrounding areas, because I ran almost straight through them and didn't even do the warp stone things until much later.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

This game is so drat good.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

so majestic...

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

yeah, she is

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Cake Attack posted:

yeah, she is

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Mischitary posted:

I feel like I must have been the only person who found Lightning Return's combat system borderline broken in a bad way. It just felt like the combo of a traditional FF system and an ARPG taking the worst aspects of both. If I'm going to have direct control, I want much freer movement than they provided.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

CottonWolf posted:

I feel like I must have been the only person who found Lightning Return's combat system borderline broken in a bad way. It just felt like the combo of a traditional FF system and an ARPG taking the worst aspects of both. If I'm going to have direct control, I want much freer movement than they provided.

I've tried four times now to get into LR, and I just don't get it. The combat somehow seems a step back from traditional JRPG games and a mediocre action game. It feels like a chore or that I'm missing something. Hitting enemies constantly or standing there waiting for an enemy to attack so you can stagger it and actually do some damage is like the opposite of fun. I'd rather have turns.

Every fight feels like a slog, and then if I enter in the chaos or whatever it's an even worse slog. But everyone praises it so I feel like I'm doing something wrong.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Leper Residue posted:

I've tried four times now to get into LR, and I just don't get it. The combat somehow seems a step back from traditional JRPG games and a mediocre action game. It feels like a chore or that I'm missing something. Hitting enemies constantly or standing there waiting for an enemy to attack so you can stagger it and actually do some damage is like the opposite of fun. I'd rather have turns.

Every fight feels like a slog, and then if I enter in the chaos or whatever it's an even worse slog. But everyone praises it so I feel like I'm doing something wrong.

That's exactly how I feel. If they're going the action route, I'd much rather they gave me something like a Devil May Cry with stats than whatever that system was.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

CottonWolf posted:

That's exactly how I feel. If they're going the action route, I'd much rather they gave me something like a Devil May Cry with stats than whatever that system was.

There is not a single person at Square Enix who is capable of making a good character action game.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
S-E has released a "Wild-life" video showing off some of the animals/monsters in the world. Looks like they're going for a pseudo documentary feel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAfpgBNrILQ&t=93s

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
Speaking of, I started playing Crisis Core and what the gently caress is up with that combat system. There's some sort of slot machine thing that will seemingly randomly activate some super powerful attack that could trigger during a boss fight, or when some random trash mob has like 10% HP left. It's not an action game, but you run around in real time during the fights and select attacks and spells in real time, and dodging is important. It just feels janky as gently caress because nothing is as smooth as it should be. Granted, it's a PSP game, but the God of War games weren't this stilted, so why should CC feel so weird. It's not turning me off playing the game, but it's off-putting and they should've just gone all in as an action game with some minor RPG elements.

I feel the same way about Kingdom Hearts.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

The Machine posted:

Speaking of, I started playing Crisis Core and what the gently caress is up with that combat system. There's some sort of slot machine thing that will seemingly randomly activate some super powerful attack that could trigger during a boss fight, or when some random trash mob has like 10% HP left. It's not an action game, but you run around in real time during the fights and select attacks and spells in real time, and dodging is important. It just feels janky as gently caress because nothing is as smooth as it should be. Granted, it's a PSP game, but the God of War games weren't this stilted, so why should CC feel so weird. It's not turning me off playing the game, but it's off-putting and they should've just gone all in as an action game with some minor RPG elements.

I feel the same way about Kingdom Hearts.

The slot machine mechanic pretty much ruins CC. Its completely random and controlls limit breaks, summons, exp, ap and gil.
CC is very stiff and it's another victim of the halfway action/halfway rpg stuff that S-E has been trying to do for years now. altough I think it works alot better for kingdom hearts.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
I kinda dislike the semi-realistic animal monster designs.

I miss having to fight houses with arms and legs or russian dolls.

forpush
Jan 6, 2006

We don't like it when the city light start fading
When the city lights fading then we can't get down
Crisis Core owns, the slots never had negative affects, so I don't know what the problem with them would be.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Andrast posted:

There is not a single person at Square Enix who is capable of making a good character action game.

During the PS1 days, Squaresoft poached a number of Capcom employees. Kenichi Iwao, the director of Resident Evil 1, went on to work on Parasite Eve 2. Coincidentally, the game played like a Resident Evil clone. I think most of the ex-Capcom staff left Square or ended up working in the Playonline division.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Attitude Indicator posted:

The slot machine mechanic pretty much ruins CC. Its completely random and controlls limit breaks, summons, exp, ap and gil.
CC is very stiff and it's another victim of the halfway action/halfway rpg stuff that S-E has been trying to do for years now. altough I think it works alot better for kingdom hearts.

It is not completely random. It presents the impression of being completely random but it actually follows behind the scenes rules. Leveling, for example, is still EXP based. You'll always get a level at appropriate EXP. You can sometimes gain one early but that is completely in your favor.

Leper Residue posted:

I admit I can't really understand your complaint if you're complaining both about attacking enemies and not attacking enemies so I can't offer your advice there.

it isn't an action game. It's an RPG with action elements. It has more in common with Mario RPG or Valkyrie Profile than it does Devil May Cry. If that isn't to your taste it isn't but it's not a particularly new concept for an RPG. It isn't even a particularly new concept for an RPG from Square-Enix considering the ones I've mentioned and the wide variety of other ones they published as well, from Star Ocean to Parasite Eve, onwards.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Mar 2, 2015

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

What's the easiest way to make sure I never run out of time in Lightning Returns?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Sakurazuka posted:

What's the easiest way to make sure I never run out of time in Lightning Returns?

monsters give you more EP based on how tough they are. and if you kill something in a chaos field, you'll always get at least 1 EP, which is enough to use chronostasis again.

but you're not really in danger of running out anyway, unless you're trying to 100% the game. there's plenty of time.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah just keep using Chronostasis

I was pretty much always using it and I got the main quests/almost all the sidequests done by like day 7

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

ImpAtom posted:

It is not completely random. It presents the impression of being completely random but it actually follows behind the scenes rules. Leveling, for example, is still EXP based. You'll always get a level at appropriate EXP. You can sometimes gain one early but that is completely in your favor.

I admit I can't really understand your complaint if you're complaining both about attacking enemies and not attacking enemies so I can't offer your advice there.

it isn't an action game. It's an RPG with action elements. It has more in common with Mario RPG or Valkyrie Profile than it does Devil May Cry. If that isn't to your taste it isn't but it's not a particularly new concept for an RPG. It isn't even a particularly new concept for an RPG from Square-Enix considering the ones I've mentioned and the wide variety of other ones they published as well, from Star Ocean to Parasite Eve, onwards.

one enemy has a stagger effect of 'just keep casting lightning on it' and another enemy has a stagger effect of 'wait until it opens its mouth to cast a spell and then attack it.' Attacking it outside of the stagger effect does pitiful damage.

Also the game is nothing like mario rpg, at all. Or Star Ocean or Parasite Eve. Never really played Valkyrie Profile though since I got bored with it after a few hours.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Leper Residue posted:

one enemy has a stagger effect of 'just keep casting lightning on it' and another enemy has a stagger effect of 'wait until it opens its mouth to cast a spell and then attack it.' Attacking it outside of the stagger effect does pitiful damage.

lol learn to counter and perfect guard.

Also "Waaaah enemies are varied and require me to do different things!".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Curtain Call songs for March 5th

BMS
Final Fantasy X - Assault
Final Fantasy Tactics - Apoplexy
NieR - Hills of Radiant Winds
Chrono Trigger - Battle with Magus
Romancing SaGa - Beat Them Up!