Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

RZA Encryption posted:

So where would they get these programs and authoritatively know that they are the ones built by the "Well known and trustworthy" developers? One of the many problems with the rooting scene is that it encourages grabbing random binaries from random people and hoping that whoever made them is competent and well meaning. People in this thread are replacing parts of their phone software that could potentially send everything they do to some .ru and you would never know it. You're trading security for the potential to be happy with a Samsung. How on earth do you trust the people on XDA with the potential complete control of a device you use for everything that is important with your life?

People with Windows computers trusted Lenovo, Comodo, and LavaSoft.

Is your entire point that there are malicious developers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

This post feels like it has to be a false flag by Apple.

I wish. Flashing an outdated ROM on a Samsung from 2012 or newer can leave you with a dead phone, beyond even the local 'dude with a JTAG rig's ability to revive. On those specific phones (and presumably newer American Samsung flagships), the first update with Knox is the final full stock ROM available; everything else is incremental, which makes rolling back to stock an adventure at best. This is by design and it's all for Knox, which was proven kind of a joke last year and has since been superseded by native Android encryption and Google for Work.

Most other phones aren't quite this easy to kill.

RZA Encryption posted:

So where would they get these programs and authoritatively know that they are the ones built by the "Well known and trustworthy" developers? One of the many problems with the rooting scene is that it encourages grabbing random binaries from random people and hoping that whoever made them is competent and well meaning. People in this thread are replacing parts of their phone software that could potentially send everything they do to some .ru and you would never know it. You're trading security for the potential to be happy with a Samsung. How on earth do you trust the people on XDA with the potential complete control of a device you use for everything that is important with your life?

You just have to trust that the rest of the community is a bucket of crabs. These are the same kind of people that also inhabit the Linux community (read: the kind of people that prefer digging out exploits via code-combing and Wireshark et al. to sex with another human being) and they've had a veritable age to tear apart SuperSU and haven't. And yes, SuperSU is available directly from its author as claimed on its Google Play page and it's the same package as on Google Play.

Now towelroot is stupid, if for no other reason than counting on a kernel bug or something to open up your phone (recovery replacement, on the other hand, is pretty much by design), but if you bought a Samsung in the last couple years you need to work on your judgment anyway.

And like other people said: You can't audit most Microsoft/Apple/Google code, they've each lost more code than you'll ever write, and they've done worse to their customers before - with even less recourse against them available to you than against script kiddies, given that the script kiddies are not twelve-figure American corporations. All that bowing to the manufacturer and carrier ensures is that you're getting system things from the manufacturer/carrier (for what that's worth, probably not much if you're interested enough in rooting to read a thread about it) and that the app store manager hasn't detected anything lovely in the things you download yet.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Feb 28, 2015

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
I'm very happy with both my Galaxy s4 and tab s10. Why such hate for Samsung?

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Sir Unimaginative posted:

You can't audit most Microsoft/Apple/Google code, they've each lost more code than you'll ever write, and they've done worse to their customers before - with even less recourse against them available to you than against script kiddies, given that the script kiddies are not twelve-figure American corporations.

So, to be clear, you're saying that we should trust random developers on XDA more than the people that make the platform, because the people on XDA will be held more accountable?

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

This post feels like it has to be a false flag by Apple.
If you want to mess with your phone immediately, get a Nexus or Developer Edition. If you think you might eventually want to customize it after the warranty is expired, get something with an unlockable bootloader (which will probably be a Nexus or Developer Edition.)

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

RZA Encryption posted:

So, to be clear, you're saying that we should trust random developers on XDA more than the people that make the platform, because the people on XDA will be held more accountable?

I'm saying trust isn't a useful metric for evaluating computer security.

XDA stuff can be evaluated on its merit and it's up to the user to decide what it takes to not be a rando anymore. If you don't think someone ever could, then fine, but you don't get to make that decision for the world.

On the other hand, you're basically stuck with your manufacturer and (for contract phones) carrier if you want to stick with your phone. Which is why:

GWBBQ posted:

If you want to mess with your phone immediately, get a Nexus or Developer Edition. If you think you might eventually want to customize it after the warranty is expired, get something with an unlockable bootloader (which will probably be a Nexus or Developer Edition.)

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Excuse me, a phone is not a computer. :smuggo:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Mooktastical posted:

Excuse me, a phone is not a computer. :smuggo:

Excuse me, I can install ubuntu so it's a computer :mrgw:

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

XDA stuff can be evaluated on its merit and it's up to the user to decide what it takes to not be a rando anymore. If you don't think someone ever could, then fine, but you don't get to make that decision for the world.

On the other hand, you're basically stuck with your manufacturer and (for contract phones) carrier if you want to stick with your phone. Which is why:

Ok man, have fun! 👍

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Guillermus posted:

Excuse me, I can install ubuntu so it's a computer :mrgw:

2015, year of Linux on the desktop phone.:laugh:

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

GWBBQ posted:

I'm pretty happy with my HTC One M8, and it wasn't that hard to convert it to the GPE version and root it. I bought my wife the Nexus 6 and it's nice and probably a better phone but I wasn't getting that sweet carrier subsidy for it.

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Probably because you broke your phone with dumb poo poo. Disable xposed, reboot, and see if it still happens.

Dont have xposed running as I had to kill it for Lollipop on my S5, and I get a similar thing where Contacts will crash after a call, though it's not a consistent crash, just every so often.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
EDIT: Never mind.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Mar 1, 2015

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

kinkouin posted:

Contacts will crash... every so often.

I have this too. Question:

I'm about through with paying what I pay for Verizon. If I switch to, say, T-Mobile, and just buy one of their SIM cards, will it work on a rooted phone? I know the model of phone is compatible because they offer SIM cards for it, but will I have to revert to stock to switch and then re-flash the backup from my external SD? I mean, I can if I have to, it's just that I'd rather just swap SIMs and be done with it.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Superuser access has nothing to do with subsidy locks.

Also it depends on what model of phone you have, what radio bands it has access to (not much use if it can't do the useful parts of T-Mobile's spectrum), and whether Verizon threw up any extra gates to it (probably not since the SIM is mostly for international use, but we are talking Verizon).

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Superuser access has nothing to do with subsidy locks.

Also it depends on what model of phone you have, what radio bands it has access to (not much use if it can't do the useful parts of T-Mobile's spectrum), and whether Verizon threw up any extra gates to it (probably not since the SIM is mostly for international use, but we are talking Verizon).

Verizon legally cannot lock the phone because of the 700mhz restrictions. I'm guessing the person has an S5 from their posts earlier in the thread.

At worst it'll get HSPA+. It has band 4 LTE support, so at least in some theory it can get LTE on T-Mobile.

However, someone on the T-Mobile forum mentioned they did it and they can't get OTAs, because it tries connecting to Verizon backends for that, so fyi.

https://support.t-mobile.com/message/365987

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

kitten smoothie posted:

Verizon legally cannot lock the phone because of the 700mhz restrictions. I'm guessing the person has an S5 from their posts earlier in the thread.

At worst it'll get HSPA+. It has band 4 LTE support, so at least in some theory it can get LTE on T-Mobile.

However, someone on the T-Mobile forum mentioned they did it and they can't get OTAs, because it tries connecting to Verizon backends for that, so fyi.

https://support.t-mobile.com/message/365987

I don't do OTAs anyway, what with having root and all.

e: Addendum to this: I called T-Mobile and apparently the only way to switch over and keep the same device is to pay the remaining early termination fee up-front to Verizon, bring T-Mobile a copy of the bill, and they send me a prepaid Mastercard for that amount. I'm considering it if it's still possible to keep my same phone number.

Furthermore they apparently don't care if you root your device; it voids the manufacturer's warranty, sure, but they're not gonna punish you for it.

venus de lmao fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Mar 2, 2015

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I'm new to this and my phone model has a broken link in the OP and I'm a bit overwhelmed. Most of the info online is a year old so I'm not sure if I'm going to break my phone.
I've got a:
Moto X,
Android version 4.4.4
Verizon

I've found a few guides that seem relevant for 4.4, but I'm not sure if it'll work with 4.4.4.

I don't necessarily need someone to hold my hand (unless you have a video or something that explicitly shows how to do it), I'm just not sure how to start.

Also, on a long shot, is there a way to get a PS3 sixaxis controller working with my phone via bluetooth without root access? I could just skip this step if there's a way.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I'm new to this and my phone model has a broken link in the OP and I'm a bit overwhelmed. Most of the info online is a year old so I'm not sure if I'm going to break my phone.
I've got a:
Moto X,
Android version 4.4.4
Verizon

I've found a few guides that seem relevant for 4.4, but I'm not sure if it'll work with 4.4.4.

I don't necessarily need someone to hold my hand (unless you have a video or something that explicitly shows how to do it), I'm just not sure how to start.

Also, on a long shot, is there a way to get a PS3 sixaxis controller working with my phone via bluetooth without root access? I could just skip this step if there's a way.

If you want to get a 360 controller it'll work wired in through usb on the go without root.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Mooktastical posted:

If you want to get a 360 controller it'll work wired in through usb on the go without root.

I bought some USB OTG adapters to try it out, I think I'm going to just get a tablet that has more current guides.

cookiesapplejuice
May 3, 2009
I recently moved to China and got a contract with China unicom for my nexus 5. Google play is obviously blocked here so I've been using this baidu app store to get and update apps. However some google apps wont update, like maps, and most google apps don't even work here. I'm also getting a notification every few minutes saying "an application requires an update" from google play services that I worry is draining my battery. Any suggestions on using a nexus here? Should I install a custom rom? Thanks.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

cookiesapplejuice posted:

I recently moved to China and got a contract with China unicom for my nexus 5. Google play is obviously blocked here so I've been using this baidu app store to get and update apps. However some google apps wont update, like maps, and most google apps don't even work here. I'm also getting a notification every few minutes saying "an application requires an update" from google play services that I worry is draining my battery. Any suggestions on using a nexus here? Should I install a custom rom? Thanks.
Granted I've never been there so this might not mean much but given that you can't access Google it would seem to make sense to at the very least disable everything that's trying to reach Google. Unfortunately for you that's going to be almost everything. Location services, pretty much every stock app including the launcher, backup and restore options. There's nothing I can recommend in terms of a ROM that will work in China but I'd imagine a Nexus without access to Google services is of little use.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If you're just looking to update the apps you can find them all on APKMirror (everything on there is a legitimate unmodified APK, the site is owned/run by Android Police).

But, as mentioned above, if they're all blocked from connecting to anything Google-related then that won't really help.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Wouldn't be better to just get a phone adapted to your actual region? Just a suggestion since as they said, all google stuff is down there.

cookiesapplejuice
May 3, 2009

Guillermus posted:

Wouldn't be better to just get a phone adapted to your actual region? Just a suggestion since as they said, all google stuff is down there.

ya, i'm probably going to end up doing that as this nexus is pretty hamstrung here

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

You can get a flagship Xiaomi or Huawei and do a trip report for us :q:

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I've got a:
Moto X,
Android version 4.4.4
Verizon

A telephone is not a Playstation 3.

cookiesapplejuice
May 3, 2009

Guillermus posted:

You can get a flagship Xiaomi or Huawei and do a trip report for us :q:

Which models specifically are their flagships so I can check them out?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Which models specifically are their flagships so I can check them out?

I think from Xiaomi is the Mi Note and Mi Note Pro (dat specs) and Huawei has the Mate 7 (a 6" phablet) and Honor 6 and Honor 6 plus (5" and 5.5"). Right now and looking how well the P6 and P7 are running (from coworker experiences), I'd buy an Honor 6 plus.

Comparison between the Honor 6 and plus: http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=6461&idPhone2=6777

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Guillermus posted:

I think from Xiaomi is the Mi Note and Mi Note Pro (dat specs) and Huawei has the Mate 7 (a 6" phablet) and Honor 6 and Honor 6 plus (5" and 5.5"). Right now and looking how well the P6 and P7 are running (from coworker experiences), I'd buy an Honor 6 plus.

Comparison between the Honor 6 and plus: http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=6461&idPhone2=6777

Build quality on those is appalling - the back looks like glass but is actually really lovely plastic.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Not any worse than my Galaxy S4's back, wich in one of the times I wanted to switch the SIM card, it just broke even if it's a thin and flexible piece of poo poo plastic. Fortunately I got a replacement (and with better quality!) on Aliexpress for like 1€.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Given how much of actual Android malware is essentially confined to China, and because Google basically has no traction there, my suggestion is checking whether the iPhone's App Store isn't blocked.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

Citizen Tayne posted:

A telephone is not a Playstation 3.

Not only is this an entirely useless post, but Sony is specifically moving towards making their games playable on their mobile devices. Are you this dedicated to your phone forum gimmick posting?

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

How about setting up a VPN connection to somewhere outside of China? No idea what that does to your battery usage, but it should at least allow you to use google services.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tamba posted:

How about setting up a VPN connection to somewhere outside of China? No idea what that does to your battery usage, but it should at least allow you to use google services.
I don't know that you "get" China.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

LastInLine posted:

I don't know that you "get" China.

I guess they're cracking down on this but for years VPNs have worked fine to bypass Chinese filtering and they have just kind of turned a blind eye to it since it was mostly foreigners who were using them.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah the great firewall is pretty lovely but it's no North Korea, and I doubt there's anything they can do outside of blocking major services without completely crippling foreign connecetivity.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

nocal posted:

Not only is this an entirely useless post, but Sony is specifically moving towards making their games playable on their mobile devices. Are you this dedicated to your phone forum gimmick posting?

I cannot imagine a use case for carrying around a Playstation controller and rubberbanding your phone to it that isn't better served with a more appropriate device.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Citizen Tayne posted:

I cannot imagine a use case for carrying around a Playstation controller and rubberbanding your phone to it that isn't better served with a more appropriate device.

You shouldn't want to do that anyway. Wow, what a helpful resposne.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

Citizen Tayne posted:

Personally I think it's a silly thing to do. But does anyone think that that poster was under the mistaken impression that a cell phone is a PS3? Did you blow his mind when you told him it is, in fact, not? Do you think you should further tell him what is and what is not a computer?