Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
Stole this from facebook so no background story but I think this stands up by itself not for long though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I'm pretty sure that's an Evo...

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Looks like what I've seen people do as a way to get the car even lower - cut out the strut top and move it up an inch or two.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Well, you can do it to get more travel out of the suspension. Some companies make camber plates that are taller for this.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

BlackMK4 posted:

Well, you can do it to get more travel out of the suspension. Some companies make camber plates that are taller for this.
The standard of work made me lean more toward hellaflush/stance idiocy rather than anything remotely practical.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I didn't mean in this case :v:

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

That looks like it would have trouble clearing the hood. I'd love to see his solution to that problem.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

1500quidporsche posted:

That looks like it would have trouble clearing the hood. I'd love to see his solution to that problem.

Going by the bolt in the cowl he probably just leaves it propped up for sweet JDM cooling yo.

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.
Hopefully the air flow from the propped up hood blows any rain off the windshield.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
The funny thing is that the base of the windshield is usually at a higher pressure than the engine bay so air actually goes into that gap and not out of it. Which increases the underhood pressure and reduces airflow through the radiator.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yup. GM's (and I'm certain other brands too) cowl induction system took advantage of this very effect.

Like a ram duct but without the drawbacks of shovelling debris and water into your engine when it rains. Also more aerodynamic, for what it's worth.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
Checked my tyres before a trip out.

Welp, that's why that one is loving flat. Less than 3K on it too.

DesperateDan fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Feb 28, 2015

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
It's feeling threatened, don't corner it!

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

I pity the fool who has to deflate that

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

PainterofCrap posted:

That is one lucky bastard.

There's a radio psychologist, Dan Gottlieb, on NPR in Philadelphia. Same thing happened to him on the Schuylkill Expressway a couple decades ago. Killed his wife & paralyzed him from mid-chest down. Think it messed up one of his kids too.

This happened to a relative of mine, he died, kid was really hosed up.
If you put on truck wheels, use a loving torque wrench or some widow is going to take you for all you're worth and you'll deserve it.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Today I decided to attack a seized bolt that has been a thorn in my side for a while - sheared off, with the remnant having corrosion-welded itself into the hole through an aluminium casting. With copious amounts of hammer, blowtorch, leverage, Plusgas, and of course swearing, I managed to get it it released from the deathgrip and turning. And turning. And turning.

Motherfucking godbastard twat of a captive nut now spinning merrily in its chewed-up, hard-to-access slot in the other side of the casting. :suicide:

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"
Well that's odd, there shouldn't be a position on a 4 cylinder cam where there's only one valve partially opened, right? (Also note the chunk taken out of that valve)

A few minutes with a c-clamp and wrench as a makeshift valve spring compressor and I was left with this

Three massively dished lifters like the one on the left

One with a small grand canyon of pitting on the face

Three nearly completely rounded off lobes like the one on the bottom

and this one (looking at the widest part straight on)

I can't even imagine how horribly this thing was running before it was parked. There was some evidence of a blown head gasket which
was probably inevitable given the near-zero lift remaining on the exhaust lobes.

MonkeyNutZ fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Mar 1, 2015

mustard_tiger
Nov 8, 2010

nm posted:

This happened to a relative of mine, he died, kid was really hosed up.
If you put on truck wheels, use a loving torque wrench or some widow is going to take you for all you're worth and you'll deserve it.

In Ontario losing a wheel is an absolute liability case, which basically means you are guilty until proven innocent. One of the very few times this happens in our laws.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

mustard_tiger posted:

In Ontario losing a wheel is an absolute liability case, which basically means you are guilty until proven innocent. One of the very few times this happens in our laws.
But drivers who do their own work are the minority, so it's not that likely to actually be their fault?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

InitialDave posted:

But drivers who do their own work are the minority, so it's not that likely to actually be their fault?

Everyone should periodically check the torque on their lug nuts, doubly so if you drive a vehicle that can literally lose a wheel and the driver can't tell the difference.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?
I just created the newest trends in mad stance yo:
SEAT CAMBER!

2 popped welds and 2 welds where the metal is torn is making me think I should just get a new seat instead of repairing this one.

ChewedFood
Jul 22, 2012

Why does that little wheel have like ten lugs?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
It's a "universal" setup with a couple of bolt patterns. Looks dumb as poo poo.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Just add a lot of gold necklaces to it, and avoid it when it looks angry. :haw:

Wasabi the J posted:

I pity the fool who has to deflate that

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Why not just take the valve core out?

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Preoptopus posted:

Well I wouldn't get within about 50 feet of it, so I'll pull the valve core if you have a really long valve core tool.... Or go right ahead, if it blows up you might only lose your hearing and half the skin on your face.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

chrisgt posted:

a really long valve core tool....
I enjoy the mental image of a guy trying to get a 25 foot long valve core tool into that 1/4" hole for half an hour straight while trembling in fear.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Get one of those bomb robots instead, do that poo poo on the other side of the building via remote.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

xzzy posted:

Get one of those apprentices instead, get them do that poo poo while you shout encouragement from the other side of the building.

England version.

mustard_tiger
Nov 8, 2010

InitialDave posted:

The reason for absolute liability is for this reason. Basically the charge is : Did your wheel fall off? Y/N. Even if you have taken steps to prevent it/regular maintenance you are still liable. It prevents companies from passing the buck down the line over and over again.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Preoptopus posted:

Because that would make sense and then we couldn't collectively piss our pants and try to out do each other in our expressions of pathetic terror.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

mustard_tiger posted:

The reason for absolute liability is for this reason. Basically the charge is : Did your wheel fall off? Y/N. Even if you have taken steps to prevent it/regular maintenance you are still liable. It prevents companies from passing the buck down the line over and over again.
If you pull out of Firestone, and a tattoo-wearing young man with a large penis and a small Honda (who may or may not be a cop) has forgotten to do a final torque check, would you agree with being prosecuted if the wheel comes off?

If someone who for whatever reason hates you and wants to teach you a lesson loosens your wheelnuts, would you agree with being prosecuted if the wheel comes off?

If you drive a company vehicle, and are explicitly instructed that you may not carry out any work yourself, would you agree with being prosecuted if the wheel comes off?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

`Nemesis posted:

Because that would make sense and then we couldn't collectively piss our pants and try to out do each other in our expressions of pathetic terror.

Truth.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
I'd still be puckered approaching that thing. I've seen a way overfilled bicycle tyre let go and it sounded like a 12 guage. Maybe pop on the welding helmet and gloves while I undid the valve. Or, you know, give the apprentice a broomstick, a stanley knife and some tape...

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Goggles, earplugs, sharpened stick, let me at it, I fancy earning some YouTube views.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I'd rig up a soldering iron facing down into the tire and then plug it in with a really long extension cord.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

FogHelmut posted:

If you need to find your no ethanol gas stations http://pure-gas.org

Thanks for this, I'm gonna perform a highly scientific test and start filling up at the one near me to see if there's any mileage/performance difference. Definitely not because it's a Stewarts and their milkshakes are like cocaine to me. :northeast:

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

revmoo posted:

I'd rig up a soldering iron facing down into the tire and then plug it in with a really long extension cord.

Sure, then your relativistic velocity projectile is also now hundreds of degrees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Slung Blade posted:

Sure, then your relativistic velocity projectile is also now hundreds of degrees.

Who says he was trying to help? :kheldragar: