Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

V. Illych L. posted:

when de Gaulle wanted a french regiment to liberate Paris Eisenhower was like "ok but it has to be all white frenchmen"

de Gaulle then had to mix and match because he didn't have an all-white regiment

eisenhower was poo poo
they were all poo poo

do you know what the vichy mayor would have done had an army of senegalese marched up to paris? "Sacre blu, ze nazis ver correct about zes negroe armies rampaging through europes. BLOW ZE MONUMENTS!"

Vichy politicians are poo poo, Ike kicked rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cigar Aficionado posted:

I'm reading Days of Fire right now ("even handed" summary of the W Bush Administration) and one of his biggest problems was it took him forever to figure out that his speeches weren't just heard by Americans, but by the entire world, which went a long way in alienating allies and inciting terrorists in the Middle East. He was so isolated and uncurious about the world that he just didn't get it that a cocky, swaggery speech that killed with "the base" maybe had the opposite effect when heard by people in France or Turkey or Afghanistan.

In terms of pure intelligence, he wasn't "dumb", you can't be legit dumb and get elected President (yet, thank God), but he was both inexperienced as a politician and woefully uneducated and uninterested in world events, so he delegated to people who turned out to be shortsighted, incompetent, or evil.

And like redreader said, while he isn't "dumb" (probably has an IQ of 115-120), he's definitely one of the dumbest Presidents, if not the dumbest.

As noted earlier, Walker cannot understand the difference between "here" and "Over there" and this makes him pretty run of the mill as far as Republican presidents go. Reagan was particularly bad at this, his folksy charm that swept America really didn't go far outside the united states, didn't help his brain was cream of wheat either.

My Imaginary GF posted:

do you know what the vichy mayor would have done had an army of senegalese marched up to paris? "Sacre blu, ze nazis ver correct about zes negroe armies rampaging through europes. BLOW ZE MONUMENTS!"

As much as I like Ike his decision to only allow a all white french regiment to liberate Paris was because the liberation was entirely a formality and thus it was considered proper for only the absolute best to be on display (this is code for white people only).

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

My Imaginary GF posted:

That'd be pretty hard for the mayor to say seeing as the position didn't even exist between 1870-1958.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Raskolnikov38 posted:

That'd be pretty hard for the mayor to say seeing as the position didn't even exist between 1870-1958.

Also Paris wasn't part of Vichy France, the guys in charge of the city deciding which monuments to blow up were just straight up Nazis.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
And the Nazi's weren't going to blow anything up regardless, steal a few paintings maybe but they saved the "blowing up priceless artifacts" for the Eastern Front.

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008

quote:

To me I apply that to say, ‘If I were to run and if I were to win and be commander in chief, I believe that kind of leadership is what’s necessary to take on radical Islamic terrorism.’ ” -Walker
He has had a super majority in his pocket ever since he was first elected.

The only leadership he can claim is keeping Republicans in line and flat out ignoring the thousands of people who walked to his place of work to get him to just possibly reconsider his policies. So I can only imagine his approach to Islamic terrorism would be to stick his fingers in his ears and go la-la-la.

What I'm getting at is that every time I hear Walker talk about what a great leader he is it's physically revolting.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, Walker hasn't yet shown that he understands how to fight an enemy that is allowed to fight back.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Reagan was much dumber than Bush. Have you ever read his diaries? He had the mind of a child.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

gradenko_2000 posted:

What's John Bolton's background? How did he become a UN ambassador despite being, as far as I can tell, a bloodlusted warmonger?

Bolton is a good part of the reason Obama got the Nobel peace prize. I am not joking.

My Imaginary GF posted:

i dont even know where to begin with this, you have crammed so many historical mistakes into these two lines

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

SedanChair posted:

Reagan was much dumber than Bush. Have you ever read his diaries? He had the mind of a child.

Children's minds develop as time progresses. :v:

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Reagan got away with lying about serving in WW2.

You don't need intelligence with balls that big.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

FizFashizzle posted:

You don't really need to lie when you're incapable of distinguishing movies you watched from things you did

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Good Citizen posted:

You don't really need to lie when you're incapable of distinguishing movies you watched from things you did

Senility is a hell of a drug.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Good Citizen posted:

Hey now, that's not fair. Reagan was actually IN some of those movies.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Lockback posted:

Hey now, that's not fair. Reagan was actually IN some of those movies.

I like to think he had a collection of movies featuring himself but eventually stopped recognizing his own face from a few decades prior and just liked watching them because of that charming young star actor.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The idea of Walker as president makes me feel vaguely suicidal.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Casimir Radon posted:

The idea of Walker as president makes me feel vaguely suicidal.

This is not something you ever have to worry about.

Mineaiki
Nov 20, 2013

I'm not at all worried about Walker. Do people really think he's going to survive being shredded in the primary, and then again by Hillary? The dude is not a political or intellectual heavyweight, he just flips open his Big Book of Reagan Policies and chooses things to pursue at random, and he wins because WI is dumb. People are going to challenge him on why he actually supports things, and why he thinks his policies are good ideas in the primary and national election, and he's going to look like a slack-jawed idiot next to Bush III and Hillary.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
This is Hillary's race to lose and that will be the case for the next 20 months.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

This is not something you ever have to worry about.

After 2010 and 2014 I worry about it. Hillary's got a great shot at winning the election but Walker could choose Rick Scott as his VP and it would probably be competitive at this point. As much as I'd like to see the GOP receive another drubbing that's so bad they collapse into a soul-searching wing and a Southern redeemers wing, they have pretty obviously determined there is no soul in the GOP outside of sharper messaging on the Southerners spending their time on hot air with hawking the same stances to the same people.

Getting hit by a landslide loss at this stage would just result in the same thing that happens when you compress an incandescent ball of hot gases - it just gets denser, whiter, and hotter.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

FAUXTON posted:

After 2010 and 2014 I worry about it. Hillary's got a great shot at winning the election but Walker could choose Rick Scott as his VP and it would probably be competitive at this point. As much as I'd like to see the GOP receive another drubbing that's so bad they collapse into a soul-searching wing and a Southern redeemers wing, they have pretty obviously determined there is no soul in the GOP outside of sharper messaging on the Southerners spending their time on hot air with hawking the same stances to the same people.

Getting hit by a landslide loss at this stage would just result in the same thing that happens when you compress an incandescent ball of hot gases - it just gets denser, whiter, and hotter.

The problem is that because of demographics, at some point the GOP is going to have to finally expel the conservative wing if they want to remain nationally relevant. It's just a matter of how soon it will happen, and how bloody it will be.

It will also be super fun to watch.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

baw posted:

The problem is that because of demographics, at some point the GOP is going to have to finally expel the conservative wing if they want to remain nationally relevant. It's just a matter of how soon it will happen, and how bloody it will be.

Wishful thinking in my opinion. They're probably going to tack libertarian as their oldest demographics die off, and there's a lot of bigoted college-age libertarians coming up to replace them.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

They can't tack too far libertarian without alienating evangelicals, who aren't go away any time soon. I'm cautiously optimistic.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Look Hillary's going to win in 2016 and she'll either have a Congress that does nothing or a Congress that does nothing but pass poo poo she'll veto the gently caress out of. SCOTUS remains 5-4 neocon shitfuck as Ginsburg gets replaced after an absolute horrorshow of a nomination process while Scalia and Kennedy hang on.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

FizFashizzle posted:

I did not know about Reagan war time service. He ought to be commended for being a part of the liberation of Auschwitz without ever leaving USA. :v:

Rincewinds fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Mar 2, 2015

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

baw posted:

Thanks for this post from november 7th, 2012.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Mineaiki posted:

I'm not at all worried about Walker. Do people really think he's going to survive being shredded in the primary, and then again by Hillary? The dude is not a political or intellectual heavyweight, he just flips open his Big Book of Reagan Policies and chooses things to pursue at random, and he wins because WI is dumb. People are going to challenge him on why he actually supports things, and why he thinks his policies are good ideas in the primary and national election, and he's going to look like a slack-jawed idiot next to Bush III and Hillary.
I always figured Hillary's chances were damaged by all the baggage that comes from being poo poo on by the right wing press for 25ish years. Jokes about her being a witch and whatnot are more or less pop culture at this point. Maybe I'm unreasonably afraid of a college dropout, and all around retard like Walker winning, but it's insane he's still governor of Wisconsin.

EDIT: In incredibly vague terms of relation I looked up Jim Inhofe yesterday to determine how much longer I'm probably going to have to deal with his earthly existence. He's 80 so hopefully not much longer, feeling pretty good about that. I will say one nice thing about him, he looks about 20 years younger than he actually is.

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Mar 2, 2015

baw
Nov 5, 2008

FizFashizzle posted:

It's gotta happen someday goddamn it

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

FizFashizzle posted:

I don't think anyone has said it would happen within a couple years. A lot of this hope is Texas shifting, which will still probably take a decade or two. The meantime demographic shifts don't exactly help republican's with a national election. Especially since their base can't shut up about just how much they hate those minorities.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

I don't think anyone has said it would happen within a couple years. A lot of this hope is Texas shifting, which will still probably take a decade or two. The meantime demographic shifts don't exactly help republican's with a national election. Especially since their base can't shut up about just how much they hate those minorities.

The Dems still need a compelling platform to turn out minorities to win, though; just relying on the GOP being horrifying wasn't good enough last year.

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Mar 2, 2015

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

The GOP coalition has a lot of factions that really dislike each other and have widely disparate policy goals. They've held it together with racism and complete opposition to everything Obama does, but once he is off the stage they are likely to start eating each other.

The right has cultivated enough hatred of Hillary that they may be able to hold it together for a while, but they can't afford to alienate 90% of women the way they have every other demographic this isn't white. The next few years will be turbulent for them, anyway.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Casimir Radon posted:

I always figured Hillary's chances were damaged by all the baggage that comes from being poo poo on by the right wing press for 25ish years. Jokes about her being a witch and whatnot are more or less pop culture at this point. Maybe I'm unreasonably afraid of a college dropout, and all around retard like Walker winning, but it's insane he's still governor of Wisconsin.

EDIT: In incredibly vague terms of relation I looked up Jim Inhofe yesterday to determine how much longer I'm probably going to have to deal with his earthly existence. He's 80 so hopefully not much longer, feeling pretty good about that. I will say one nice thing about him, he looks about 20 years younger than he actually is.

I mean, we had an idiot GOP governor on the ticket a couple elections ago and it didn't pan out too well for her (in the election itself, at least).

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Will we see any establishment republicans call Hillary a bitch or worse?

baw
Nov 5, 2008

Karnegal posted:

I mean, we had an idiot GOP governor on the ticket a couple elections ago and it didn't pan out too well for her (in the election itself, at least).

She also wasn't pushed into the national spotlight until the convention. If she had appeared on the national stage earlier then she wouldn't have gotten nearly as far as she did.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Neeksy posted:

Even with that explanation, having protesters like that is not at all comparable to dealing with armed terrorists in terms of pressure.

Well, sure. But the idea that all you need to do to defeat terrorists is stand up to them with tough rhetoric has been said and largely unchallenged for years. Walker found a particularly dumb way to suggest he'd be good at it, but it's right in line with pretending that "Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" and a steely-eyed gaze is actually what got the wall down.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Cythereal posted:

Wishful thinking in my opinion. They're probably going to tack libertarian as their oldest demographics die off, and there's a lot of bigoted college-age libertarians coming up to replace them.

Not enough of them.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Will we see any establishment republicans call Hillary a bitch or worse?
We'll hear "shrill" and "nagging" and maybe "harpy."

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

the flip side of hillary having been constantly attacked for the last forever is that 1) it will be hard to come up with new attacks and 2) old attacks aren't actually going to to anything, being pretty much used up already

she must be basically immune to negative campaigning at this point

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

V. Illych L. posted:

the flip side of hillary having been constantly attacked for the last forever is that 1) it will be hard to come up with new attacks and 2) old attacks aren't actually going to to anything, being pretty much used up already

she must be basically immune to negative campaigning at this point
Expect a lot of faux-concern about her advanced age and mental acuity and a lot of significant pauses where they call her a bi...tter old woman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baw
Nov 5, 2008

She's been on the national stage for almost 25 years at this point. My biggest concern is something random happening like the economy melting down or a major terrorist attack on US soil because it would take something of that magnitude to stop her from winning decisively.

• Locked thread