Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Ryoshi posted:

Anything for Tales of Hearts R?

A bit into the game you'll expand your spiria to include a skill called supersub. This gives the equipped character experience when they're not in your party. You should beeline for this skill with new characters so they are still useful on the sidelines. This game will shuffle your party around based on the story so don't let characters get too far behind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Anyone got anything for OTTD? I keep starting it up every once in a while, but get distracted before too long before really getting into the meat of things. Most tutorials seem to be focused on things like signal logic and the like.

chairface posted:

It took me over an hour to trap one in a box canyon where I could manage to get onto it without using a rope. :smithicide:
Good lord man, I can't imagine messing with that for that long. Were you not aware of the rope being in the game prior to that?

Clam Chowdown
May 8, 2006

That's an unacceptable answer, Donny!

sick trigger posted:

anything for Red Dead Redemption that isn't on the wiki? i'm playing the GOTY edition if that changes anything

If you're playing poker and you see a gentleman at the table who looks like he would gently caress you up in a duel, don't get caught cheating cause he absolutely will gently caress you up in the duel.

If you're playing at a table with Herbert Moon, cheat away cause if you end up having to kill him well he just has it coming.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Nonbaka posted:

If you're playing at a table with Herbert Moon, cheat away cause if you end up having to kill him well he just has it coming.

There's an achievement for tying someone up and watching them get hit by a train after you leave them on the tracks, I recommend Herbert Moon.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Warbird posted:

Good lord man, I can't imagine messing with that for that long. Were you not aware of the rope being in the game prior to that?

First time I'd played, and I did not have a thread like this. I thought it was supposed to be hard to get a top tier horse.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Warbird posted:

Anyone got anything for OTTD? I keep starting it up every once in a while, but get distracted before too long before really getting into the meat of things. Most tutorials seem to be focused on things like signal logic and the like.
You mean OpenTTD?

- Trains are the lifeblood of your company. Their income will outweigh all the other forms of transport combined.

- Start with some good coal/oil/ore route (in this priority), remember that you get paid depending on the speed and the route length (those vary for different stuff). Bulk goods like the "wait until train is full" order, passengers don't. Adjust # of cars per train for engine power and waiting time (preferably you want to return and load so that one car is half-full, if you have too much for your engine invest in a second train on the same route)
- If you get a good subsidy (>50%) for one of the above, start with that.
- Grab that one tablet-drawn signal guide for newbies (you know the one) and get into habit of building proper tracks. Things you wanna learn from the start: build 1-way tracks (with 1-way signals every X tiles), signals before every station platform. If you get station pre-signals right, more power to you.
- There are keyboard shortcuts for laying precise tracks/roads (1234 IIRC) and signals. The "auto-place signal every X tiles" option is particularly useful.
- cities get mad at you for demolishing buildings/greenery. You can get your approval back by planting trees.
- You can accept an offer for exclusive testing of a prototype without consequences but these tend to break very often, so check first.
- cities grow when you ferry passengers/mail(?) between them (that's also what buses are for) and this unlocks Goods acceptance later
- train stations in smaller cities aren't very profitable but they'll save you giant tantrums a metropolis will throw when you try to construct one in an already grown city.
- same goes for airports; if you want one, stake your claim (don't use the buy tile option it's expensive, instead cover the area with angled tracks so they can't bridge them with roads)

Be aware that I haven't played this for some time so things may have gotten changed in later versions.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I actually don't know the guide you're referring to, can you elaborate?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Warbird posted:

I actually don't know the guide you're referring to, can you elaborate?

From the OTTD thread OP:

less than three posted:

:siren::siren:MAKE YOUR TRAINS HAPPY (The only instructional material you're gonna get):siren::siren:

And I missed two things:

- Always have a platform the length of the whole train (each engine and car takes a half tile). Otherwise 1. loading slows down noticeably, 2. you take a signal tile, potentially locking the whole station and causing a traffic jam, you can extend the platform with a signal-free track to avoid this.
- if you build another station on adjacent tile, it will count as part of the same station. You can use this to build mixed stations (oil rig to station by ship, then from the same station to refinery by trains) or make a weirdly shaped train station because the town council is a bunch of assholes and won't allow demolition.

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Mar 1, 2015

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
What with it being on steam, now, anything for Dynasty Warriors 8: Empires?

This is also the first :Empires game I've played in the series.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

From what I've heard it's a poor port. You may be better served picking up one of the older ones on a PS2 or something.

Thanks for the pics!

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Does anyone know if the Diablo 3 Ultimate Evil Strategy Guide is worth it? I've tried to look up a few things online but most of the info I've found hasn't been updated since the game first came out.

Metal Meltdown
Mar 27, 2010

juliuspringle posted:

Does anyone know if the Diablo 3 Ultimate Evil Strategy Guide is worth it? I've tried to look up a few things online but most of the info I've found hasn't been updated since the game first came out.

Are you playing on the PC or the current gen console version? If so, a print strategy guide is already or will be obsolete in a real hurry. What specifically did you need to know?

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Metal Meltdown posted:

Are you playing on the PC or the current gen console version? If so, a print strategy guide is already or will be obsolete in a real hurry. What specifically did you need to know?

I picked it up for PS3 while it was on sale. I like having everything at my fingers more for figuring out ahead of time what I skills I want to use and stuff. I forget what skill I looked up online the other day but I happened to have it open ingame while I was looking it up and the info online differed from ingame. I don't think the psn version is getting anymore updates so I figure it might be a safe purchase.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

You really, really don't need a guide for Diablo 3. Every skill does exactly what it says on the screen, you can freely swap them out at any time, and absolutely nothing about your character build is permanent. Buying a guide for Diablo 3 seems like a huge waste of money.

Metal Meltdown
Mar 27, 2010

juliuspringle posted:

I picked it up for PS3 while it was on sale. I like having everything at my fingers more for figuring out ahead of time what I skills I want to use and stuff. I forget what skill I looked up online the other day but I happened to have it open ingame while I was looking it up and the info online differed from ingame. I don't think the psn version is getting anymore updates so I figure it might be a safe purchase.

Yeah, you have an older version of the game. If you haven't already, turn on elective mode and advanced tooltips in the options.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Gharbad the Weak posted:

What with it being on steam, now, anything for Dynasty Warriors 8: Empires?

This is also the first :Empires game I've played in the series.

I've only been playing it for a couple of days and I'm not expert, so the only tip I can give is that Change Weapon is your "Oh, poo poo I'm surrounded" button. It clears space around you and stuns enemy officers, even if they are in the middle of an attack. Also, buy a second weapon that fits your character ASAP.

Here's a thread for all things DW

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Any tips for Rune Factory 4? I feel like I've managed to brute force my way through the plot so far and haven't really paid attention to any other aspect of the game and now I'm severely under equipped for the next bit of plot and don't have the skills necessary in order to fix that.

Darfuri War Orphan
Feb 28, 2006

My, Earth really is full of things!
Anything for Total War: Shogun 2? I just fired it up after not playing it for years, and discovered that I suck at it much more than I used to. I could have sworn there used to be something in the wiki, but I guess I was mistaken.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Nothing on the wiki for Shin Megami Tensei 4 for some reason. I've played Nocturne and Strange Journey so I'll probably be fine, but is anything particularly different in this one? Most importantly, which out of Str and Mag is the idiot loser lovely stat this time around?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Nothing on the wiki for Shin Megami Tensei 4 for some reason. I've played Nocturne and Strange Journey so I'll probably be fine, but is anything particularly different in this one? Most importantly, which out of Str and Mag is the idiot loser lovely stat this time around?
IIRC, going first is the god stat in SMT4.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Faerie Fortune posted:

Any tips for Rune Factory 4? I feel like I've managed to brute force my way through the plot so far and haven't really paid attention to any other aspect of the game and now I'm severely under equipped for the next bit of plot and don't have the skills necessary in order to fix that.

Crafting your own gear is a huge part of the game and you should buying recipe breads as much as you possibly can for your crafting skill level. The easiest way to increase your Crafting Skills is to spend all of your RP crafting items that cost a decent/large amount of RP to craft that you can easily make because you gain experience in your crafting skills based on how much RP you spend to make them.

Taking monsters along with you is extremely worthwhile. I think early on in the story you can obtain a green fairy that goes into your monster barn. This green fairy is one of the real good monsters to obtain and will probably last you the entire game.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Strength. If you're rolling with skills, Dex is far more important than Str, and Magic builds are as good as they ever are if you want to go down that road. With that said:

Poison Mushroom posted:

IIRC, going first is the god stat in SMT4.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

You could also effectively go all in on Luck and agility and you will never have issues ever. Smirking is hilariously broken for a mechanic. Don't let enemies smirk against you, since bosses will usually kill you if they smirk. Other enemies will just ruin your day slightly depending on where you are. Buffs and Debuffs are pretty good this time around too. Bind and Sick are good ailments to slap enemies with. I've not played around with the other ailments so i"m not sure if any of the others are good.

Use a guide if you are trying for the neutral ending. No seriously you can possibly be too neutral for the neutral ending, it's got a really small window for some reason. I personally am not following this advice because I just want to see where my first run ends up. There's a guy Cynical Man in each bar in Tokyo after a point who can give you a rough estimate on what your alignment currently is. Polite is Law, Hard to get on is Neutral, Hot-Blooded is chaos.

Maggot Soup
Aug 18, 2005

Kingdom of Amalur I know the general consensus is to avoid side-quests. Will the main quest line and faction quests be a substantial experience?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Artix posted:

Strength. If you're rolling with skills, Dex is far more important than Str, and Magic builds are as good as they ever are if you want to go down that road. With that said:

Agility is awesome. Always level it.

That said, I (edit) actually totally agree with Artix. Strength is not a good stat in SMTIV. Dexterity actually has a higher impact on how hard your physical skills hit (both sword and gun skills), and Strength's only benefit over Dexterity is that it helps with your regular sword swings (which stop being useful fairly early on). The ideal physical build is probably Dex/Luck/Agility. Luck gets you crits, so it's godly for a physical build (and next to useless for a magic one). If you want to go magic, then just go hard on Magic and Agility and ignore everything else.

Magic is excellent in SMTIV. Physical edges it out in damage in the endgame and postgame, but magic is plenty versatile, so go ahead and use that if you prefer it.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Mar 2, 2015

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Harrow posted:

That said, I really disagree with Artix. Strength is not a good stat in SMTIV. Dexterity actually has a higher impact on how hard your physical skills hit (both sword and gun skills), and Strength's only benefit over Dexterity is that it helps with your regular sword swings (which stop being useful fairly early on). The ideal physical build is probably Dex/Luck/Agility. Luck gets you crits, so it's godly for a physical build (and next to useless for a magic one). If you want to go magic, then just go hard on Magic and Agility and ignore everything else.

Magic is excellent in SMTIV. Physical edges it out in damage in the endgame and postgame, but magic is plenty versatile, so go ahead and use that if you prefer it.

That's exactly what I said. He asked what the dump stat was. :ssh:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Artix posted:

That's exactly what I said. He asked what the dump stat was. :ssh:

Ohhhhh, you're right. I misread his question. Sorry about that!

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Whichever one is the one that makes you faster is the godstat. If you go first, nothing else matters. Also prepare to get your rear end handed to you if you're not super OCD about the lovely camera, because demons love to crawl up your bunghole when the camera isn't exactly in the right place.

Don't attempt to go hunting before you have a full party.

Fusion is your friend.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Maggot Soup posted:

Kingdom of Amalur I know the general consensus is to avoid side-quests. Will the main quest line and faction quests be a substantial experience?

It is substantive. I haven't heard anything about the DLC quests though, in case you were looking for even more of the same.

DoctorOfLawls
Mar 2, 2001

SA's Brazilian Diplomat
I finished Saints Row 2 with the Gentlemen of the Row mod installed, and aside from a few crashes it was a good experience. I am ready to move on to Saints Row: The Third, and I was wondering whether to just run the game vanilla as is (I have all DLC from the GOTY pack) or to already run it modded with the Gentlemen of Steelport by IdolNinja - see http://idolninja.com/sr2.php - any ideas?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

DoctorOfLawls posted:

I finished Saints Row 2 with the Gentlemen of the Row mod installed, and aside from a few crashes it was a good experience. I am ready to move on to Saints Row: The Third, and I was wondering whether to just run the game vanilla as is (I have all DLC from the GOTY pack) or to already run it modded with the Gentlemen of Steelport by IdolNinja - see http://idolninja.com/sr2.php - any ideas?

I wish that mod was around when I played SR3 so I'd say to run it. It says in the description you can turn on/off features at will and I would have loved to have mission replay. Compared to SR2, the sequels offer far more exciting missions but you don't have a theater to replay them. The developers gave weak excuses along the lines of "we want you to play the game multiple times oh you can also cheat by quitting a mission thereby getting a cool vehicle."

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

DoctorOfLawls posted:

Get it, for sure.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

DoctorOfLawls posted:

I've played both vanilla and I'd say go ahead and give the mod a swing if that's what you prefer. The games are fairly similar, powers aside, and the tweaks are what you're expecting already anyway.

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

And the cats in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy blue and the man on the moon
"When you coming home, dad?"
"I don't know when
We'll get together then son you know we'll have a good time then."
Dragonfall: Director's Cut, especially looking for advice to not make a lovely loser build on the main character. Also still looking for advice on Sanctuary RPG Black Edition, it's pretty opaque in a lot of ways.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

MiltonSlavemasta posted:

Dragonfall: Director's Cut, especially looking for advice to not make a lovely loser build on the main character. Also still looking for advice on Sanctuary RPG Black Edition, it's pretty opaque in a lot of ways.
Play Mage. It fills a role that the rest of your party members do not (Especially when it comes to armor buffing and debuffing) and its really easy to not screw up. When it comes to the main stats put points in Willpower, which is your primary stat, and put some points in Charisma too for the etiquettes and for some side spells. (You might to have put some points in Intelligence for some spells, but they're not mandatory) Weapon skill-wise you only need put to points in Spellcasting because mages don't need to use guns and melee weapons because they get a basic attack spell that's solid. Security and Corporate are the most useful etiquettes. Also don't implant a lot of cyberware because it weakens your magic. Also your party members replenish their inventories for free after each mission so feel free to use all their consumable items.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Mar 5, 2015

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Helldivers. Any particular must-have weapons or upgrades to spend my research points on early on?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Ainsley McTree posted:

Helldivers. Any particular must-have weapons or upgrades to spend my research points on early on?

Fuly upgrade the UAV (the little probe thing) immediately. Being able to see samples on the map will pay for itself quickly.

Other than that go with whatever you think is neat. Once you start doing super hard missions you'll definitely want to fully upgrade the bomb and reinforcements. Cutting the time down on those stratagems is essential.

e: And here's something a lot of people don't seem to understand, you always want to be moving unless you're doing an objective. The way the game works is that there are wandering patrols looking for you. If they see you they'll sound an alarm which summons a bunch of harder units. Each patrol is independent of each other. That means if another patrol spots you, it'll sound its own alarm and summon more guys.

Patrols are alerted by drop pods and accomplishing mission objectives so the best place to gear up is at an objective since the enemy is going for you anyway. The biggest mistake you can do is stop between objectives and fight the enemy when an objective isn't being accomplished. Anything above medium and enemies will overwhelm you. Except when terrain hinders you, your characters are faster than practically everything so just run run run.

Join the thread and play with goons.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Mar 7, 2015

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

sick trigger posted:

anything for Red Dead Redemption that isn't on the wiki? i'm playing the GOTY edition if that changes anything

Head over to Thieves' Landing and buy the Springfield Rifle as soon as you save up $300, it's the best gun you can get by a longshot for the first third of the game. Enemies won't drop ammo for it for a long time, but it only costs like $20 for 200 rounds at the gunsmith.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Dark Messiah of Might and Magic has been sitting unplayed in my Steam log for years, gonna change that. Anything to know in terms of builds, really useful skills, etc.? The wiki entry is pretty slim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Safari Disco Lion posted:

Dark Messiah of Might and Magic has been sitting unplayed in my Steam log for years, gonna change that. Anything to know in terms of builds, really useful skills, etc.? The wiki entry is pretty slim.

Kick everything all day every day cast ice on a guy and kick him then kick some more never stop kicking