Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darth Ballz
Apr 30, 2003
Feel the burn

Samurai Sanders posted:

To me football is in a unique category of complexity, at least among popular American sports. Even as an American who grew up with it, it's a weird-rear end thing. Now I work with foreigners every day and they all have their questions about how the hell this became so popular in the US. I always say the same thing: it has a lot of down-time. That means a lot of advertising time on the business end, and a lot of eating nacho time on the viewer's end.

I always tell my foreigner friends American Football is just Gladiator Chess. You can't always think about the immediate move, but the move five moves from now. Then headbutt that move until someone breaks in half.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Darth Ballz posted:

The first thing that you do is Madden 25 (2014), before you even get a title screen, is a tutorial. It puts you in, immediately, in the final two minutes of the fourth quarter, Panthers vs. Seahawks. It literally suggest a play, explains to you why that play works, and, if you want, you can select that play or another one (BTW, the play it suggests works all the time). It then goes ahead and suggests another play after that play is completed. It is one of the best tutorials for people with no clue in an American Football game (outside of the practice modes, which are on the first screen after the "Press start button" screen). This event only happens once (although you can replay it if you wanted).

The problem was that this was meant to cater to newcomers. The people who played Madden forever hated it, with inappropriate amounts of passion. If it makes a return this year (my guess? Seahawks vs. patriots 2 minutes left in the Superbowl) I will giggle, just knowing the veteran madden players "on the sticks" are having collective angina.

Yeah, I can see how that would be a problem in the other direction. All I'm saying is that there could be some extra love given to user experience design while keeping the complexity. Just something like you see in some other games where you set the difficulty from the beginning, with options like "I'm new to the sport, I know the sport but am new to the game, I'm a veteran" and then set up the game options and tutorials accordingly

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse

Fateo McMurray posted:

Nothing is as complicated and as no sense making as cricket

I learned what cricket scores mean by playing a copy of Cricket '96 that came in a box of Weet Bix. It also taught me that it's possible to score a 6 on every ball by sending the batsman halfway down the pitch and hitting the ball before it has a chance to bounce. Apparently that's a bad idea. I still have no idea how cricket works.

I finally started playing Far Cry 4 this weekend. I keep getting set on fire. It's a little frustrating, to say the least. :saddowns:

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Creature posted:

I learned what cricket scores mean by playing a copy of Cricket '96 that came in a box of Weet Bix. It also taught me that it's possible to score a 6 on every ball by sending the batsman halfway down the pitch and hitting the ball before it has a chance to bounce. Apparently that's a bad idea. I still have no idea how cricket works.

I finally started playing Far Cry 4 this weekend. I keep getting set on fire. It's a little frustrating, to say the least. :saddowns:

Well stop walking in fire then

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Creature posted:

If you are not capable of avoiding getting set on fire then it is not worth a game developers [sic] time to cater to you.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Don't stand in burning grass. Also don't use fire weapons if you are standing in grass. Finally, don't let enemies use fire weapons on you when you are standing in grass.

edit: DO use fire weapons when enemies are standing in grass though.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Morby posted:

Due to some fuckery between the NCAA and EA about using the likenesses of players and being paid for it while players are not to be compensated, they are not being produced anymore.

They gave up doing NCAA Basketball even before the legal fuss because they sold poorly.

And yeah, there was the lawsuit and EA settled and agreed to pay the players. Then they wanted to pay them and keep making the football game and the NCAA wouldn't let them. Those antitrust lawsuits can't bankrupt the NCAA fast enough.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I play and enjoy nearly every sport and have nearly every sports game on PS4 (even stuff like MMA) and MLB The Show is by far the most confusing to me control-wise, despite playing organized baseball for about five years and winning the regional championship. It's so unintuitive.

It's also not fun and lacks personality. Once I got to the majors and saw all the fancy stadiums I stopped caring. NBA 2k is the only one that really gets it right - Madden 15 is the distant runner up I guess.

Sports video games definitely help me learn and re-learn sports I'm not that familiar with though. I'm still trying to learn the intricacies of football and soccer through games.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Darth Ballz posted:

The first thing that you do is Madden 25 (2014), before you even get a title screen, is a tutorial. It puts you in, immediately, in the final two minutes of the fourth quarter, Panthers vs. Seahawks. It literally suggest a play, explains to you why that play works, and, if you want, you can select that play or another one (BTW, the play it suggests works all the time). It then goes ahead and suggests another play after that play is completed. It is one of the best tutorials for people with no clue in an American Football game (outside of the practice modes, which are on the first screen after the "Press start button" screen). This event only happens once (although you can replay it if you wanted).

The problem was that this was meant to cater to newcomers. The people who played Madden forever hated it, with inappropriate amounts of passion. If it makes a return this year (my guess? Seahawks vs. patriots 2 minutes left in the Superbowl) I will giggle, just knowing the veteran madden players "on the sticks" are having collective angina.

Maybe they could start you right at the goal line and explain why it would be a good idea to give the ball to Marshawn Lynch??

Darth Ballz
Apr 30, 2003
Feel the burn

Reverse Centaur posted:

I play and enjoy nearly every sport and have nearly every sports game on PS4 (even stuff like MMA) and MLB The Show is by far the most confusing to me control-wise, despite playing organized baseball for about five years and winning the regional championship. It's so unintuitive.

It's also not fun and lacks personality. Once I got to the majors and saw all the fancy stadiums I stopped caring. NBA 2k is the only one that really gets it right - Madden 15 is the distant runner up I guess.

Sports video games definitely help me learn and re-learn sports I'm not that familiar with though. I'm still trying to learn the intricacies of football and soccer through games.

That is my problem with The Show as well; the graphics are gorgeous, the physics are top notch, the sounds of a game are near perfect but...the feeling I get is that I am playing a game of baseball made by computers. I don't get the "feel" of a game, just a literal picture perfect replica of one. There is no soul there. I don't necessarily know how to fix that. Maybe jack up the sounds and get shitfaced while playing it? Also the menu system in the Show is garbage.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

If you are not capable of avoiding getting set on fire then it is not worth a game developers [sic] time to cater to you.

it's not. Don't stand in fire.

frenton
Aug 15, 2005

devil soup

Darth Ballz posted:

That is my problem with The Show as well; the graphics are gorgeous, the physics are top notch, the sounds of a game are near perfect but...the feeling I get is that I am playing a game of baseball made by computers. I don't get the "feel" of a game, just a literal picture perfect replica of one. There is no soul there. I don't necessarily know how to fix that. Maybe jack up the sounds and get shitfaced while playing it? Also the menu system in the Show is garbage.

Jack up the sound and play with a headset if you have one. I love when I'm like 7 innings into pitching a no hitter and the controller starts vibrating like a heartbeat as I step on the mound, the crowd going crazy until you get ready to pitch and then they go quiet as they anxiously watch my wicked fastball strike out another hitter. Like someone else said, the atmosphere in the Show can seem a bit tepid at times but its a pretty realistic representation of the atmosphere of the actual sport.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

a primate posted:

The Order has been a big yawn so far. I might trade it in for AC Unity because I am a masochist

There's plenty of good games to play instead though

Follow That Fish!
Mar 8, 2007
Chaser of the stray sea-life, clad in a trench and a fedora.

Crappy Jack posted:

They did try a Kickstarter maybe a year ago or so. Didn't succeed, unfortunately.

It isn't dead, but it's not looking great for Mutant League Football either: http://www.polygon.com/2015/1/18/7727307/mutant-football-league-isnt-dead-and-probably-never-will-be

BisterdDave posted:

I've always found unrealistic sports games to be the best such as NBA Jam and NFL Blitz. Any of the 16-bit era sports games are awesome in my book as well.

I've said this a couple of times in this thread already, but here's once more: check out Super Mega Baseball. It's a seriously good modern take on arcade sports games.

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

Do we still not know what the PS + games are yet ?

I'm really enjoying Xenoverse. The only thing is the camera can get a bit wonky.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Dirt Taco Scuba posted:

Do we still not know what the PS + games are yet ?

I'm really enjoying Xenoverse. The only thing is the camera can get a bit wonky.

I just wish that 3D action games would just copy God Hand and let the camera go through walls.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

I'd also probably play Wrestling Football, or maybe just a Football mode in Saint's Row.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
There's a free-to-play pool game called Hustle Kings which I just noticed was available yesterday, it's surprisingly not-bad.

Captain Yossarian posted:

Cross posted from PSN thread, they wanted me to ask here too:

I JUST got a PS4 but am running into a major oddity. Does anyone else have the issue where once you have played a game and gone back to the console (to launch another game or w/o) the store doesn't open and no "recent activity" or anything else will show up? Putting it into rest mode and booting back up fixes it until I play a game again. Odd issue, internet hasn't really been all that helpful. Any ideas?

I don't think it's network related since all other devices work fine. Can still access the store on my Vita and my phone fine, but it's very strange that this happens EVERY time I play a game..

I get this all the time, easiest way to remedy it is hold down the PS button on the controller, log-out, then log back in again. You don't have to reboot or shut the machine down.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax
Man, do I suck at RE Revelations 2. I like the 2 person thing, and the graphics are nice, but I just can't make any progress whatsoever. Maybe spoilers, I dunno (very early): What the hell do I after putting the cog in the door and it opens? I start prying the next door open with the crowbar but that takes forever. If I switch to Claire, Moira stops crowbarring and just runs around, and if I stay as Moira Claire just dies eventually. What the hell. Like 8 dudes come at you and they're all the big ones with armor and poo poo.

I've literally been stuck at that point for like 2 days. I try it once and die and then just go play something else. There has to be something completely obvious I'm missing here...

Aishan
Oct 29, 2011

Static Rook posted:

Man, do I suck at RE Revelations 2. I like the 2 person thing, and the graphics are nice, but I just can't make any progress whatsoever. Maybe spoilers, I dunno (very early): What the hell do I after putting the cog in the door and it opens? I start prying the next door open with the crowbar but that takes forever. If I switch to Claire, Moira stops crowbarring and just runs around, and if I stay as Moira Claire just dies eventually. What the hell. Like 8 dudes come at you and they're all the big ones with armor and poo poo.

I've literally been stuck at that point for like 2 days. I try it once and die and then just go play something else. There has to be something completely obvious I'm missing here...

Having not played the game at all, and only having seen the Giant Bomb quick look, isn't there a giant flamethrower you can turn on right there to crisp everything coming at you?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Use Moira to place the cog, quickly switch to Claire get in room and turn the valve to set the fire thing going then spin that towards the doorway, use Moira's flashlight stun to get Claire to take out any that make it through or use molotovs on them. Don't try and go back out to check the rooms they come from, they spawn infinitely.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Follow That Fish! posted:

It isn't dead, but it's not looking great for Mutant League Football either: http://www.polygon.com/2015/1/18/7727307/mutant-football-league-isnt-dead-and-probably-never-will-be

I've said this a couple of times in this thread already, but here's once more: check out Super Mega Baseball. It's a seriously good modern take on arcade sports games.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Games Workshop's lawyers were telling EA that should Mutant League Football ever reappear, they will be spending a lot of time in court. GW are very quick to act when they think any of their IP rights are being infringed, yet at the same time they license some awfully poo poo video games.

Having said that, Blood Bowl on the PC is pretty fun.

I also recommend Super Mega Baseball, it's great and very easy to get into if you know very little about the sport.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax

Aishan posted:

Having not played the game at all, and only having seen the Giant Bomb quick look, isn't there a giant flamethrower you can turn on right there to crisp everything coming at you?

Sakurazuka posted:

Use Moira to place the cog, quickly switch to Claire get in room and turn the valve to set the fire thing going then spin that towards the doorway, use Moira's flashlight stun to get Claire to take out any that make it through or use molotovs on them. Don't try and go back out to check the rooms they come from, they spawn infinitely.

:doh:

There's even a note right there talking about it. I just never put it all together.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

loving hell, games are expensive here in Portugal and I hate it. Xenoverse is 70€ right now (physical and digital copy are the same), on a country where the minimum wage is 500€. Jesus.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
So, I've never played a Final Fantasy game. I was looking for a PS4 version but apparently the only version there is an MMO with a subscription fee? I'm not looking to be that into it. And not looking to get into an MMO.

What's the most accessible way to play and which would be recommended for someone that has never played any of them?

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

rotaryfun posted:

So, I've never played a Final Fantasy game. I was looking for a PS4 version but apparently the only version there is an MMO with a subscription fee? I'm not looking to be that into it. And not looking to get into an MMO.

What's the most accessible way to play and which would be recommended for someone that has never played any of them?

Got a PS3 or a Vita? Most of the FF games are available as PS1 classics on there. The earlier entries have longer load times, but you can still play 'em at least.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

rotaryfun posted:

A port of both FFVII and FFX/FFX-2 are coming to the PS4 later this year - you will get 1000000 different opinions but honestly they are probably the best places to start with Final Fantasy. FFVII will heavily depend on your ability to stomach PSX level graphics, but I just replayed FFX last year when they released the PS3 version and it was even better than I remembered.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

orange sky posted:

loving hell, games are expensive here in Portugal and I hate it. Xenoverse is 70€ right now (physical and digital copy are the same), on a country where the minimum wage is 500€. Jesus.

Make a US PSN account and buy points cards from US Amazon and never look back.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

rotaryfun posted:

FF Type-0 HD comes out in like two weeks I think, though I don't know how good it would be for someone new to the series nor do I know if it's well-regarded. It's an HD remaster of a PSP game that hasn't been localized previously.

HD remasters of FFX and FFX-2 are also en route (just ported versions of the PS3 remasters of the PS2 games) and 10 is probably a pretty good place to start, the battles primarily rely on a pretty simple rock-paper-scissors mechanic of magic elements and/or armored/quick/flying physical damage weaknesses. Easy enough but it also keeps the battles brisk and interesting enough that they shouldn't put you off the genre. The highlight of the game is probably the setting and the secondary characters, the protagonist in the first game is probably the weakest part but it's easy enough to look past that.

Super No Vacancy fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Mar 2, 2015

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Type-0 is supposed to suck. FF X is a good place to start, and Chrono Trigger and FF 6 are great if you want sprites. If you have access to a PS3 or Vita, then FF IX has probably held up the best of the three games from that generation. I think FF XIII is on PS Now, but virtually no one likes that game.

All of these games are probably a lot different than FF XV.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

Ok great, thanks for the quick responses. I'll wait and see what those are like.

Don't have a ps3 unfortunately to try out the older ps1 classics though.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

rotaryfun posted:

Ok great, thanks for the quick responses. I'll wait and see what those are like.

Don't have a ps3 unfortunately to try out the older ps1 classics though.

If you just wanna try them, my personal favorite FF7 is available on PC with Steam. Some of the older SNES ones are on the iOS and Android stores as well. Can't vouch for their quality however.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

Electromax posted:

If you just wanna try them, my personal favorite FF7 is available on PC with Steam. Some of the older SNES ones are on the iOS and Android stores as well. Can't vouch for their quality however.

I thought I read somewhere that 6 or 7 were the historically the best. But I might be off on that. It was awhile ago.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

rotaryfun posted:

I thought I read somewhere that 6 or 7 were the historically the best. But I might be off on that. It was awhile ago.

I don't like 7 much personally but this is definitely the case. I would strongly recommend playing through 4/5/6/7 at some point. At the same time, 3, 10, and the first 13 game are the only ones in the main series I'd consider straight up disasters. My favorites are 4 and 6.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

FF7 is the most famous, but it is also the first polygonal Final Fantasy game and thus holds up about as well as you'd expect from a 3D JRPG from the mid-90's. It's totally playable, though.

I think 4 and 6 hold up the best. Not including FFT, anyway.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I just wish Final Fantasy IX got more love :sigh:.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I just wish Final Fantasy IX got more love :sigh:.

FF9 was my favorite for a long time. It's a little hard to go back to though.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

StabMasterArson posted:

Make a US PSN account and buy points cards from US Amazon and never look back.

Have you done that/know someone who did that?

I'd love to know about the feasibility of it, and know if my account isn't going to be banned later. I reckon I'd also have to switch PSN Plus to that account?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

orange sky posted:

Have you done that/know someone who did that?

I'd love to know about the feasibility of it, and know if my account isn't going to be banned later. I reckon I'd also have to switch PSN Plus to that account?

They aren't going to ban you for having an account set to a different region of the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

FF7 is the most famous, but it is also the first polygonal Final Fantasy game and thus holds up about as well as you'd expect from a 3D JRPG from the mid-90's. It's totally playable, though.

I think 4 and 6 hold up the best. Not including FFT, anyway.

Four and 6 are the best but I would also advise people seek out the original sprite versions because the polygonal remakes are somehow more hideous than FF7 is by today's standards.

• Locked thread