Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Count Bleck posted:

Also, the clans are now just named after the dragons I guess?

Silumgar has zombie Djinn, and that's metal as gently caress.

Yup, allied color dragon clans instead of wedge color khan clans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
Also a Modern playable card has been reduced to jewellery for the dragonlord...

Lancelot fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Mar 2, 2015

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I don't know if Sarkhan gets another walker card given they implied he's the same guy and Tarkir has changed but he hasn't. Might be a spell representing him being sane again, or his alliance with Ugin, or whatever else. Feels like we get Narset + someone else showing up to be like 'whoa dargons'

Count Bleck posted:

This isn't news.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Lets be real, "The Atarka" sounds a lot cooler than "The Temur"

I like both but Atarka is a really cool name.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Angry Grimace posted:

Maro's card:

Standard playable morph?

quote:

Dragonlord Mythic:

:siren: ELDER DRAGON TYPE :siren:

I like the idea of Jabba Silumgar, but something's not quite right w/ the art. And that throne doesn't look comfy.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Angry Grimace posted:

So far he hasn't lost his spark. They have a "policy" to not print creatures of current Planeswalkers.

Not sure what you mean by "so far". Like maybe we'll get a story about it? That'd be ideal, I've actually been really enjoying reading the lore of this block.

But yeah, even if it hasn't been revealed yet, I think it would be an interesting twist if in the rewriting of history, Narset got a planeswalker spark and Sarkhan didn't. I'm fine with Sarkhan and all, but now he's essentially fulfilled his destiny and wrapped up his primary story arc, and now he's left on his home world in a state he prefers it in, full of dragons. It'd be a nice way to retire a planeswalker other than killing them.

E: But this all assumes that the timeline change affects Sarkhan at all, which it might not have since he existed in the alternate present, the past, and the new present. But who knows how they want to spin it.

Nibble fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Mar 2, 2015

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

PrinnySquadron posted:

That Sidisi is rad and I kind of like Exploit. It suits black well.

It's kind of neat but it looks terrible on an empty board.

That said a 4/6 with motherfucking Diabolic Intent stapled to it looks pretty playable. Hopefully the abilities are sufficiently powerful to back it up.

E: Aaaaand that has Deathtouch, holy poo poo.

Angry Grimace posted:

Dragon Tempests!

Oh baby, this is a sweet engine card :swoon:

I don't even like Dragons and I still want to use this.

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Mar 2, 2015

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Nibble posted:

Not sure what you mean by "so far". Like maybe we'll get a story about it? That'd be ideal, I've actually been really enjoying reading the lore of this block.

But yeah, even if it hasn't been revealed yet, I think it would be an interesting twist if in the rewriting of history, Narset got a planeswalker spark and Sarkhan didn't. I'm fine with Sarkhan and all, but now he's essentially fulfilled his destiny and wrapped up his primary story arc, and now he's left on his home world in a state he prefers it in, full of dragons. It'd be a nice way to retire a planeswalker other than killing them.

Sarkhan came back to current time in the last Uncharted Realms article was implied to still be a planeswalker.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Lancelot posted:

Also a Modern playable card has been reduced to jewellery for the dragonlord...

What card are you talking about? I just see what the alternate art Jeering Instigator was stealing...

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Count Bleck posted:

Silumgar has zombie Djinn, and that's metal as gently caress.

You should add blue, and play Knuckleblades and countermagic.

You'll be as badly positioned but you'll get to play with one of the best creatures in standard.

Oh also you'll get to enjoy blowing people out with not-Force Spike.

I tested out the Temur list but the mana is just awful and deals you a ton of damage which is the reason I don't play it. I also don't think Kunckleblade is one of the best creatures in a standard with Tasigur and Siege Rhino.

I also got completely out SB'd in my second match (I won my first and would've been 2-0 and just needed one more win to top) by an Abzan control player. I had Back to Nature in my SB as opposed to revelry as a nod to GB Constellation decks which are a TERRIBLE machup. So I bring them in G2 after I win G1 and don't see any in a very long game so I assumed he just boarded them out. So for G3 I take them out and he resolves Citadel Siege on T4 which I couldn't overwhelm fast enough and let him stabilize with Sorin+Elspeth to get out of range and I didn't draw a Craters Claws with him under 6 life for like 4 turns. Pretty terrible beat.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I think we can all agree on something here.

Anybody playing Scion of the Ur-Dragon in EDH is probably going to love the poo poo out of this spoiler season.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Rinkles posted:

Standard playable morph?

I like the idea of Jabba Silumgar, but something's not quite right w/ the art. And that throne doesn't look comfy.

The dude is now fat and lazing about in ridiculous amounts of gold and goodies. It's straight up his oversized stomach going over the edge of his throne thing.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I want a promo silumgar diving into his gold.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

LordSaturn posted:

What card are you talking about? I just see what the alternate art Jeering Instigator was stealing...
A certain banana-loving khan.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

LordSaturn posted:

It's Tasigur. He's dead as poo poo.

Kyrosiris posted:

What about him emerging from his gold pile spitting up coins, Scrooge McDuck-style?

Except the coins are Goyfs.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Zoness posted:

I want a promo silumgar diving into his gold.

What about him emerging from his gold pile spitting up coins, Scrooge McDuck-style?

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Count Bleck posted:

It's Tasigur. He's dead as poo poo.

I mean, that was the first card I looked at, but I don't really see it in Silumgar's art. I suppose you mean the necklace? The blown-up view is a little too murky for me to make out the details.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Combos okay with Narset, letting you return her for another swing next turn if she dies in combat. You don't get the value of the second cast, since it wasn't cast from your hand, but still neat. I hope a good Jeskai Control deck exists that uses her.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

If your opponent responds to the Silumgar trigger w/ a kill spell, you don't get gain control of anything, even momentarily, correct?

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

LordSaturn posted:

I mean, that was the first card I looked at, but I don't really see it in Silumgar's art. I suppose you mean the necklace? The blown-up view is a little too murky for me to make out the details.
I edited my post with better art, do you see him now?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

By the way, I don't know how many of you read the preview articles, but Gottlieb's had an interesting section:

quote:

Here's Section 1 of the Dragons of Tarkir handoff document:

Section 1: Dragons

Overview

Design vision: This is the Dragon set. It has a higher raw number of Dragons, and a higher as-fan of Dragons, than any other Magic set. It is populated with cards that reference Dragons and care about Dragons. Dragons here are color-agnostic: Every deck gets to play with Dragons.

As far as gameplay goes, design wants Dragons to be awesome, but does not want Limited games to devolve to "First Dragon wins." (In a similar vein, we'd prefer games not to always come down to "Last Dragon wins" either, but we expect that to happen a decent amount.) There should be answers to Dragons, both in terms of removal and other defense. In addition, Dragon-on-Dragon combat is fantastic, and we love seeing that in games.

THAT SUMMARY STATEMENT CONTAINED THE WORD "DRAGON" THIRTEEN TIMES. Let that sink in. This section went on to contain the following eight subsections:

Category 1: The common Dragon (NOTE: This got bumped up to uncommon during Development.)

Category 2: Uncommon gold cycle

Category 3: Uncommon monocolored cycle

Category 4: Rare gold cycle

Category 5: Rare monocolored cycle

Category 6: Mythic rare legendary gold cycle

Category 7: Uncommon mana stones (NOTE: Do these turn into Dragons? Hmmmm....)

Category 8: Cards that care about Dragons

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Kyrosiris posted:

They need to update their foil printing so when you tilt him from one side to the other you see the dive and the emergence.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

Rinkles posted:

If your opponent responds to the Silumgar trigger w/ a kill spell, you don't get gain control of anything, even momentarily, correct?

That is correct.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Zoness posted:

They need to update their foil printing so when you tilt him from one side to the other you see the dive and the emergence.

I'd buy a playset and I don't even play anymore. :allears:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

This looks much better. The contrast levels on the card art were really off.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Elyv posted:

By the way, I don't know how many of you read the preview articles, but Gottlieb's had an interesting section:

Well they've certainly learned a lesson from Scourge and Dragon's Maze.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Sarkhan is getting a new card called Sarkhan Unbroken or Unbound or something, the PAX East pin already told us that.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Silumgar comes into play, targeting Tasigur.

This will probably happen much more often than it should, and it'll be amazing every time. :allears:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Kyrosiris posted:

Is it time for me to update this:

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Lancelot posted:

I edited my post with better art, do you see him now?

Yes, thank you.

Now the countdown until the new Narset and Sarkhan cards get spoiled and we learn exactly what happened to them.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Sidisi owns bones. Straight up beats Siege Rhino and Tasigur in combat. Still costs an un-delveable 5 so if you can't reliably trigger his exploit then he might not see Standard play but if you can he's a sweet control card.

Silumgar looks hilarious in UB control and the mirror is gonna be great fun. "Steal your Ugin." "Steal your Silumgar, sac to legend rule and get my Ugin back."

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

TheKingofSprings posted:

Is it time for me to update this:

Why is there a Tibalt in the picture?

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master
Oh my god, Silumgar is just :smaug: incarnate. Having a fresh Elder Dragon cycle after a bajillion years is pretty sweet, too.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Elyv posted:

Why is there a Tibalt in the picture?

Scrooge didn't get where he is by taking safe bets

E: gently caress I'm playing Sultai forever.

T2 Satyr Wayfinder into T3 Tasigur into T4 Sidisi into T5 Diabolic Sidisi sounds like some beautiful, beautiful poo poo

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Exploit almost seems like more of a Mardu mechanic because of all the token fodder they can generate.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

GonSmithe posted:

Sarkhan is getting a new card called Sarkhan Unbroken or Unbound or something, the PAX East pin already told us that.

I hope it's just a creature and we get a story about how his loving with time made it so he never got a Spark in the first place. Followed up by another story about how Narset's supposed execution for heresy flared her Spark.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Sidisi owns bones. Straight up beats Siege Rhino and Tasigur in combat. Still costs an un-delveable 5 so if you can't reliably trigger his exploit then he might not see Standard play but if you can he's a sweet control card.

Silumgar looks hilarious in UB control and the mirror is gonna be great fun. "Steal your Ugin." "Steal your Silumgar, sac to legend rule and get my Ugin back."

Refer back to my previous statement of:

Count Bleck posted:

Silumgar comes into play, targeting Tasigur.

This will probably happen much more often than it should, and it'll be amazing every time. :allears:

I really want to start building up to the U/B control shell and it is exclusively Dragonlord Silumgar's fault, that card is awesome.

New Sidisi owns bones because she's a 4/6 with deathtouch, and a tutor slapped on her, it's great.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Humorously enough, Sidisi Whip really loves new Sidisi

:smaug:ing it up

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Mar 2, 2015

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Cernunnos posted:

I hope it's jut a creature and we get a story about how his loving with time made it so he never got a Spark in the first place. Followed up by another story about how Narset's supposed execution for heresy flared her Spark.

but where will they find a planeswalker stupid/crazy enough to follow nicol bolas and release the eldrazi, then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Elyv posted:

but where will they find a planeswalker stupid/crazy enough to follow nicol bolas and release the eldrazi, then?

Time fuckery.

• Locked thread