Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

as if those fruity millennials would ever riot

maybe if someone used the wrong pronoun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Spaceman Future! posted:

Hey de Blasio tear down Madison Square Garden and build this to reimburse us for the loss of penn station TIA.

Also, the new WTC Transportation center owns, it exists mainly to impale people riding the Path, nothing of value will be lost.

Madison Square Garden is built over a cemetery. The restless ghosts there have cursed it so only lovely buildings can be built on it.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

simosimo posted:

Welcome to Medway, in Kent, UK. I present the Pentagon shopping centre, with large office 'skyscraper' on top

With ominous, dank dark bus depot [but now defunct. Replaced with an outside, futuristic bus depot]

lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpBSyKY4JCU

What is it about absolutely horrible bus stations attached to Malls? The Yorkdale Mall bus station in Toronto has spend 80% of the last 20 years under construction, and it is still a grimy (straight out of the 70's) style station. Bathrooms, benches, ticket booth, lockers, maybe a few bullitin boards and a flatscreen or two on the walls, naturally some vending machines with hilariously overpriced wares. . . and if you're feeling creative have a sandwich/coffee shop with some free wifi as well.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Blistex posted:

What is it about absolutely horrible bus stations attached to Malls? The Yorkdale Mall bus station in Toronto has spend 80% of the last 20 years under construction, and it is still a grimy (straight out of the 70's) style station. Bathrooms, benches, ticket booth, lockers, maybe a few bullitin boards and a flatscreen or two on the walls, naturally some vending machines with hilariously overpriced wares. . . and if you're feeling creative have a sandwich/coffee shop with some free wifi as well.

The worst kind of public transportation attached to the worst kind of retail building in existence. Doesn't exactly attract the best clientele.

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

Say Nothing posted:

Repaint, thinner!

What about the Superdome? Did they tear that down? That was a horror, huh...

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Nckdictator posted:

Madison Square Garden is built over a cemetery. The restless ghosts there have cursed it so only lovely buildings can be built on it.

Also, the Knicks.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

So they're going to build a big circus tent and put buildings under it? Awesome. I bet that wont be noisy as gently caress when it rains. Also why was that guy on about the buildings being like Lego, was he suggesting the buildings could be moved? He never really explained that.

The greenery and such looked lovely though, I'm all for incorporating outside inside.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Byker wall was built to provide housing for poor people and to provide shelter from motorway noise for a motorway that never got built.

I drive past it whenever I go into Newcastle

The area is so lovely that when companies go to install broadband or whatever the vans go in pairs so one of them can watch while the other does the installation since people would steal whatever they could

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

Jose posted:

Byker wall was built to provide housing for poor people and to provide shelter from motorway noise for a motorway that never got built.

I drive past it whenever I go into Newcastle

The area is so lovely that when companies go to install broadband or whatever the vans go in pairs so one of them can watch while the other does the installation since people would steal whatever they could

All over the world they make big weird walled-off spaces for undesirables. Welcome to people, right?

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

After travelling a bit around Europe, I maintain that the UK has managed to produce the most soul-crushingly ugly post-war architecture. There is just something... off about everything: the colours, the proportions, the way buildings exist in relation to their surroundings... Pre-war, UK looked awesome, post-war, well, uhh, whatever it is, chances are it manages to look uglier than a block of Soviet-era flats in the outskirts of Tallinn.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Naxuz posted:

After travelling a bit around Europe, I maintain that the UK has managed to produce the most soul-crushingly ugly post-war architecture. There is just something... off about everything: the colours, the proportions, the way buildings exist in relation to their surroundings... Pre-war, UK looked awesome, post-war, well, uhh, whatever it is, chances are it manages to look uglier than a block of Soviet-era flats in the outskirts of Tallinn.

agreed, a lot of their revival architecture form the 19th century looks awesome but after WWII it all turned to poo poo

Captain Cool
Oct 23, 2004

This is a song about messin' with people who've been messin' with you

88h88 posted:

So they're going to build a big circus tent and put buildings under it? Awesome. I bet that wont be noisy as gently caress when it rains. Also why was that guy on about the buildings being like Lego, was he suggesting the buildings could be moved? He never really explained that.

The greenery and such looked lovely though, I'm all for incorporating outside inside.
You could rebuild the inside structures more cheaply than you could rebuild a normal building since you don't have to worry about redoing windows, ventilation, and uh a roof I guess. Not that it's ever going to happen.

I also like the concept because it's genuinely different otoh literal tech bubble

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Captain Cool posted:

You could rebuild the inside structures more cheaply than you could rebuild a normal building since you don't have to worry about redoing windows, ventilation, and uh a roof I guess. Not that it's ever going to happen.

I also like the concept because it's genuinely different otoh literal tech bubble

I never considered this, it actually seems to make sense then. Thank you.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

88h88 posted:

The buildings are supposed to be modular stacks of whatever shape is needed, like giant piles of end tables. Like most of their peers, things like plumbing, heating, cooling, lighting, security, access or functionality are for others to draw in, and are below the consideration of true architects.

The tent seems big enough and high enough that rain noise probably won't be a big deal, but watering the plants is going to suck.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

London needs a new bridge for the river Thames. Let's see the contestants and maybe some Brits can weigh in as well. http://www.dezeen.com/2015/02/25/74-designs-unveiled-bridge-london-river-thames/

A giant spoon to observe the scenery from the rim. I'm not sure what's to look at, but alright.

Giant net that usually contains oranges. Does gently caress all for shade and looks like a great place for seagulls to poo poo on passerby below!

Eh, not bad. Like Picasso attempted to draw the mcdonald's logo.

"Timmy get down from there! That's not the path to cross the river!!" Timmy cannot hear you. Timmy is 500kilometers away on one of the many pathways on Deathbridge.

:confused: that's a weird looking suicide net.

What the gently caress is this

M I N I M A L I S T

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012
Isn't the Thames still a shipping lane? How are ships supposed to go under Waterfall Spoon Bridge without getting water all over the deck?

I like the rest of the designs, with the possible exception of the Coloured Thread Vomit Bridge.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Wedemeyer posted:

a final fantasy xiii bridge

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

EmperorFritoBandito posted:

What in God's name

E: Oh, it's obviously a joke and I'm dumb.

There's a document full of technical plans of the building. For some reason they decided to make stupid collage illustrations that have nothing to do with the proposed project. Also the concept is full of buzzwords and feels like architect's first building (they propose to take a standing terminal and divide it into plain square rooms, mostly on a single level architectonic plan). It's poo poo, but not a joke.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Imagine being the poor bastards that would need to paint the thread vomit bridge.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Bridges: It doesn't matter if they take you from one riverside to another - it's all about how many times the architects jerked it to his AutoCAD file.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 214 days!)

steinrokkan posted:

Bridges: It doesn't matter if they take you from one riverside to another - it's all about how many times the architects jerked it to his AutoCAD file.

> spline

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Wedemeyer posted:

London needs a new bridge for the river Thames. Let's see the contestants and maybe some Brits can weigh in as well. http://www.dezeen.com/2015/02/25/74-designs-unveiled-bridge-london-river-thames/

M I N I M A L I S T

All the ones before this were purposefully terrible so whoever's decidng which design to use goes with this immediately, right?

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

Good bridges don't call attention to themselves.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Wedemeyer posted:

A giant spoon to observe the scenery from the rim. I'm not sure what's to look at, but alright.

Giant net that usually contains oranges. Does gently caress all for shade and looks like a great place for seagulls to poo poo on passerby below!

Eh, not bad. Like Picasso attempted to draw the mcdonald's logo.

"Timmy get down from there! That's not the path to cross the river!!" Timmy cannot hear you. Timmy is 500kilometers away on one of the many pathways on Deathbridge.

:confused: that's a weird looking suicide net.

M I N I M A L I S T

All of those are going to look as dated in the future as Googie does to us now. Also isn't the Thames still incredibly polluted? I don't think shooting that poop water up into the air is a great idea.

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

Wedemeyer posted:

M I N I M A L I S T

*splash, cry*

*sighs* "Look's like it's time to fish little Timmy out of the Thames again."

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

quote:

In 1929, the Metropolitan Life Bldg, comprising the 1893 12-story construction, the 1909 campanile-like tower and the 1919 north annex, was becoming too small to house the continual growing activities of the biggest insurance company. A new building was considered for the full block site between E24th and E25th Streets, designed by Corbett and Waid... which missed to be the highest in the world. The proposed 100-story telescoping tower would have reached a climax in the mountain-like style, with fluted walls, rounded façades, like a compromise between the Irving Trust Bldg and the visionary Hugh Ferriss's drawings. But the 1929 crisis exploded and... was erected only what was previously considered as the base. From a rectangular pedestal rise multiple recessed volumes which have the particularity to become 30-degree angled from the 16th floor on each side of the building, resolving at last in an original dumbell-plan shape from the last setback. As the magnificent Ralph Walker's Irving Trust Bldg, the new Metropolitan Life Annex resembles as a complex structure, covered by a limestone-clad drapery, renouncing to the sacrosanct rigid orthogonal geometry. A brilliant success.

Lured to the project by the client's offer of a high salary and the chance to build a mile-high tower of steel, stone and glass, the, Columbia University-educated architect Harvey Wiley Corbett left his position on the Rockefeller Center design team in order to take up this project in 1928. While construction of this steel-framed structure proceeded through the Depression, the crash of 1929 ultimately reduced the scope of the project. The current office block was once intended to be the base of a mammoth skyscraper, but Corbett's longed-for skyscraper was never built. Clad in Alabama limestone with marble details and richly appointed marble lobbies, the vertically striated surfaces and streamlined undulating masses of this Art Deco building give it a slick if somewhat sinister appearance.

Only the base was built, between 1932 and 1950.

quote:

Proposed in 1925, the Larkin Building would have contained up to 110 stories at 1,208 ft. and was to be located on West 42nd Street (the McGraw Hill Building currently occupies the site)

Hard times fell on this proposal as well as the Larkin Company, which went bankrupt in the 1930s.

Sounds reasonable!

http://longstreet.typepad.com/thesciencebookstore/2010/02/rootop-airport-east-river-nyc.html

quote:

First published in Life Magazine 1946:

The airport would have covered 144 city blocks from 24th to 71st Streets and from Ninth Avenue to the Hudson River. (The view above is looking south.) That's approximately 990 acres 200-feet above the streets of Manhattan.

To quote Life, Zeckendorf thinks the $3 billion price tag "can be paid off by rental income within 55 years after the project is completed." Further, and quite optimistically, "although the Manhattan terminal is still in the drawing-board stage and has not yet had approval of New York officials, the planners expect that the increasing tide of air travel will make their idea a necessity."

quote:

After the victory of America and her “co-belligerents” in the First World War, a temporary victory arch was erected out of wood and plaster to welcome the troops home from Europe. After the arch was dismantled, however, discussions soon arose on how to permanently commemorate the war dead of New York, with a surprising variety of suggestions made. A beautiful water gate for Battery Park was suggested, with a classical arch flanked by Bernini-like curved colonnades, so that a suitable place existed to welcome important dignitaries and visitors to New York. (Little did they know how soon the airlines would replace the ocean lines). Another proposal was for a giant memorial hall located at the site of a shuttered hotel across from Grand Central Terminal, while others suggested a bell tower.

An entirely different proposal, however, was made by the New York architect Alfred C. Bossom (later ennobled as Baron Bossom of Maidstone)....Bossom envisioned a massive work of engineering and transportation: a ‘Memorial Bridge’ spanning the Hudson at Manhattan. As memorials go, however, it was suggested that the ‘Memorial Bridge’ was too large, too impersonal, and too utterly convenient as a public work to serve as a memorial to the dead, and so Bossom promptly rebranded his idea as the ‘Victory Bridge’. The floor of the bridge was described as very high, in accordance with the requirements of the War Department for ocean-going vessels to pass beneath it, but also allowing the New Jersey side to rest upon the heights of Weehawken. The lower level was to hold ten railway tracks side-by-side.

Wonder whatever happened to this idea.

http://money.cnn.com/1996/08/13/bizbuzz/trump/

quote:

Trump plans NYSE tower
August 13, 1996: 6:18 p.m. ET

NEW YORK (CNNfn) -- Donald Trump is planning to build the world's tallest building at the end of Wall Street to house the New York Stock Exchange, according to published reports.
The 140-story New York Stock Exchange Tower, as the building would be named, would have 31/2 million square feet of office space, house up to 100,000 office workers and take 31/2 years to build.
At 1,792 feet tall, the proposed building would extend far above the neighboring World Trade Center, currently the fifth tallest building in the world.
"For Trump this is the ultimate," the New York Post quoted a Trump family friend as saying. "Donald is obsessed with that fact that New York should have the world's tallest building."
On Monday, the NYSE said it was mulling a move from its historic Wall Street headquarters, a 93-year-old building.
Both City Hall and NYSE Chief Executive Richard Grasso reportedly greeted the plan with "huge enthusiasm," citing the advantages of bringing the tallest building status back to the Big Apple.
Trump's NYSE plan is designed by architects Kohn Pedersen Fox, the same firm that designed Malaysia's skyscrapers.

NYC Federal Reserve Bank Proposal 1969

:stare:

Grand Central Terminal concept

Bonus stupidity.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

I think this plan might have run into opposition from Dutch beach hut owners.

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

Horace posted:

I think this plan might have run into opposition from Dutch beach hut owners.

This would have been the most ambitious and expensive engineering project in human history right? That's a huge amount of water to drain, and thousands of miles of massive dykes to be built, any one of which fail and millions of people die.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

amityville anus posted:

They say that its for riot proofing but the reality is that universities are more interested in bilking people out of money and those maze buildings are usually where the office to petition to graduate is. Think cheese in the maze for rats to never find. gently caress every university on the planet.

What is a petition to graduate?

Do you actually in real life believe that there's some office that nobody can find, where they have to go in order to get their diploma, or else they are forced to pay for another semester of university?

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Save Doggerland.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

EoRaptor posted:

The buildings are supposed to be modular stacks of whatever shape is needed, like giant piles of end tables. Like most of their peers, things like plumbing, heating, cooling, lighting, security, access or functionality are for others to draw in, and are below the consideration of true architects.

The tent seems big enough and high enough that rain noise probably won't be a big deal, but watering the plants is going to suck.

I would think the PCBs are a bigger problem since, IIRC, that's going to be the google compound that's on a superfund site. It had a big controversy because the poor ventilation was probably slowly killing everyone in the building.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
The last bridge we built over the Thames belongs in this thread. It had to be closed for two years because it was wobbling. Also, it just looks boring and dated now despite only being 15 years old: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millennium_Bridge_(London)

I say go for the vomit flower bridge. Whichever one we pick will undoubtedly go over budget and be a great source of controversy. May as well pick the one that will be most amusing.

el_caballo
Feb 26, 2001
This thread convinced me to dig out and re-read my copy of From Hell so thanks I guess.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Nckdictator posted:

Let the Beagle Boys try their luck on this!

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

netally posted:

The last bridge we built over the Thames belongs in this thread. It had to be closed for two years because it was wobbling. Also, it just looks boring and dated now despite only being 15 years old: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millennium_Bridge_(London)

Why cant they just build a loving bridge

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

boom boom boom posted:

Why can't people just live in concrete cubes, and while they're at it, just stay on their respective sides of the river? Seriously, there's nothing interesting on the other bank that you don't already have on your side.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

boom boom boom posted:

London is the arts and culture capital of the world.

*farts loudly*

*smells fart*

*nods*

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Nckdictator posted:

Alternate reality 9/11, terrorists destroy NYC Federal Reserve Bank by driving a Greyhound bus into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

London: here's what you do. Build a real good basic bridge, but paint it international orange and call it golden. Works for San Francisco!

• Locked thread