Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

I took scythes and turned into guppy later anyway :woop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Oh man, the run I just had. It was great, and then it went to poo poo, and then it was great again.

Started out with very early Chocolate Milk. Then Ipecac. Was playing Eve, so with Whore of Babylon it quickly got interesting. On top of that, got a devil deal for Rotten Baby and Lil' Brimstone.

Then I picked up Technology. Why did I pick up technology. The laser was firing like once every three seconds for gently caress-all damage, but the flies helped me just about pull through. Then I got a Tears Up pill from a shop and that somehow reversed the Tears Down effect of Ipecac and I was spamming lasers everywhere. I kinda lost track of what happened at that point but I eventually ended up with Tiny Planet as well which basically meant I had a forcefield. poo poo was awesome.

Also there was a D1 room at some point but I didn't take it.

PS4: HDAYBYBY

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

Any tips for Solar System? It's kinda kicking my rear end.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

strangemusic posted:

Git gud.

Seriously, Solar system is one of the fun ones. Try to find BFF in the shops to make your flies do even more damage? Other than that, learn your spacings.

bucksmash
Mar 11, 2002

strangemusic posted:

Had trouble with this one until I got the stopwatch, then it was an absolute breeze. Of course you can say that anytime you buy the stopwatch though.

But yeah BFF is good for this. Also any familiars that can shoot. I know this is all luck based but keep trying.

Also I tried using the blue fly more cause it allows a little more distance. I try to only use the Red fly on bosses and when I had lots of health to spare.

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

Gibbo posted:

Git gud.

Seriously, Solar system is one of the fun ones. Try to find BFF in the shops to make your flies do even more damage? Other than that, learn your spacings.

Red/blue candle really helps too.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

strangemusic posted:

Gnawed Leaf, BFFs!, and whatever that blue fly that buffs your follower damage. Daddy Longlegs also helps.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

omeg posted:

E: I hate you Satan (I have Monstro's Lung and 2/3 Guppy).

It looks like you had the Goat Head so you could have picked one up and then exited and reentered and the other two would turn to soul heart deals.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

dude789 posted:

It looks like you had the Goat Head so you could have picked one up and then exited and reentered and the other two would turn to soul heart deals.

Nope, doesn't work that way. The deals stay at red hearts.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Though it is always smart to not pick up health up items after a boss fight when Satan shows up. Assuming you had red health beforehand, anyway.

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006
Not to be confused with endash or minus.

TheModernAmerican posted:

Poly is a terrible speed item.

ProblemsIRL thinks poly is a terrible speed item; not everyone agrees. antizoubilamaka, the current WR holder for 7 and 10 characters to the chest, thinks it's great. So do I

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Hyphen-ated posted:

ProblemsIRL thinks poly is a terrible speed item; not everyone agrees. antizoubilamaka, the current WR holder for 7 and 10 characters to the chest, thinks it's great. So do I

As a first floor item it gives you a significant damage boost and a limited form of piercing that combos well will pretty much anything that follows. Don't see how anyone would consider that an item not good for speed.

SavTargaryen
Sep 11, 2011
Fuuuuuuuck. I was doing the Beans! challenge and got a level 2 Hairball. So I was practicing with it, got to the very last one, then my computer poo poo itself and I got to watch a slideshow of me getting gangbanged by those loving masks and heart combos in a corner. This is my karmic punishment for doing Solar System on the first try.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gibbo posted:

As a first floor item it gives you a significant damage boost and a limited form of piercing that combos well will pretty much anything that follows. Don't see how anyone would consider that an item not good for speed.

yeah, it doesn't make your dps over time drop at all, and in practical terms you kill most things much faster because you get in range *BLOOP* they're gone now charge down the next one as opposed to having to hit them multiple times anyway

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I find that Polyphemus makes most runs go faster, especially later on when you're mostly fighting bosses. Enough damage means you can kill them in very few hits and you lose nothing for the slow fire rate. It can make Brimstone a little frustrating but that damage is so worth it.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Gibbo posted:

I can see where he's coming from. It's a bit more difficult to use than regular tears and while it's a damage up against most things, there are some instances where it can slow you down like against splitting enemies, enemies who can become invincible, or big rooms with lots of enemies that are either split up or aren't one shot by the piercing effect.

Although to be honest, I'm a bit more surprised at how willing Problems is to pass up flight.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Polyphemus you say? :v:

This is without Chocolate Milk. Seed: Q3WK V4FL

E: Well that's something you don't see every day. :stare:

omeg fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Feb 28, 2015

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
I just realized that all the little bugs and flies in the rooms are interactive. You can shoot down the flies and walk over the worms and beetles to crush them :o:

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012
I need to know when to stop with the d4/d100.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

You don't stop. You don't ever stop.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
Thank you, Gnawed Leaf, for allowing me to completely cheese Solar System.

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006
I just played in a tournament and it was really good and fun.
The best race was this one from the finals:
http://www.twitch.tv/problemsirl/v/3849820?t=183m30s
(I set a race pb and I've done like 350+ races)

Hyphen-ated fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Mar 2, 2015

Pivotal Lever
Sep 9, 2003

Hyphen-ated posted:

Nice run, that is an insane seed to get during a race haha.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

I've been working on my speed play a little, but I'm not sure how to get in to racing (because I'm apparently retarded)

Where do I find the rules? Is it just the same as old BOILR?

Just go through SRL?

Gibbo fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Mar 2, 2015

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Hyphen-ated posted:

I've had Tammy's Brim before but this... :stonklol:

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
What's the best time to use the Chaos Card on Mega Satan?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I've never tried, but doesn't it just skip one stage? So probably the final one, after you've gone through the sins/horsemen/angels and his hands.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
I feel like the first phase is way longer and you have to deal with creep and people spawning on you. I always dump it on the first form.

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012
Does the chaos card not give you credit for the kill? I pepperoni'd the chest boss with it recently on hard and that character didn't get the red border on the chest kill.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Maybe. Did you die and get revived by an item? Stuff like Judas' Shadow or the Ankh turn you into a different character upon revival, which can screw with unlocking things.

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

Maybe. Did you die and get revived by an item? Stuff like Judas' Shadow or the Ankh turn you into a different character upon revival, which can screw with unlocking things.

That is entirely possible. I often deliberately proc judas shadow, so that explains it.

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006

Gibbo posted:

I've been working on my speed play a little, but I'm not sure how to get in to racing (because I'm apparently retarded)

Where do I find the rules? Is it just the same as old BOILR?

Just go through SRL?

Yeah just go to SRL and plenty of people there will race with you. we hang out in the #isaac channel.
The rules are basically just beat the chest with isaac, overflowing donation machines is not allowed

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

How do you unlock Challenge 11?

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

Hyphen-ated posted:

overflowing donation machines is not allowed

What does this mean?

moynar
Apr 15, 2006
Hello!

Chin Strap posted:

What does this mean?

If the donation machine has 999 coins the next coin you put in will explode it and give you a bunch of coins. So I guess you have to extract the coins using bombs (making it a way of selling bombs)

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Jedit posted:

How do you unlock Challenge 11?

Beat challenge 19 and unlock Loki's Horns by killing Lokii, the split Loki boss fight. You need to unlock Dad's Key and It Lives to have challenge 19, if you don't have that already.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Manatee Cannon posted:

Beat challenge 19 and unlock Loki's Horns by killing Lokii, the split Loki boss fight. You need to unlock Dad's Key and It Lives to have challenge 19, if you don't have that already.

OK, I don't think I've done 19 yet. Stupid game - why not put them in some vague order?

Anyway, thanks for the assist.

Pivotal Lever
Sep 9, 2003

I finally finished a hard mode Lost run, I scummed for floor 1 9 lives and got Mutant Spider in the treasure room, floor 2 devil deal was Brimstone, transformed into Guppy on Depths 1 part deux (thanks Forget Me Now!), the rest is history. I really should've gone for The Lamb with Brimstone Guppy but I feel much safer doing the chest, now I just need to scum for another Brimstone Guppy and then beat the boss rush. Feels good to win a Lost run finally.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
oh my god those useless piece of poo poo three red chest devil rooms can gently caress off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
The star on the character select screen is for completion of the boss rush right? For some reason it won't unlock Samson's Hard Boss Rush, I've done it twice now, got the second item at the end and even gone on to complete the game and it's still not highlighted in red.