Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

SKY COQ posted:

http://iqfleet.org/private/leaks

IQ Fleet are tweeting a significant leak.

Ferenginar on the map and being central to season 10 is huge. Why does IQ have to ruin all the big surprises.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

HughGRect posted:

Ferenginar on the map and being central to season 10 is huge. Why does IQ have to ruin all the big surprises.

The Ferenghi Female Uniform is going to be a big hit I reckon.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Seriously, though, another wide angle torpedo! :woop:

Also other stuff.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

SKY COQ posted:

http://iqfleet.org/private/leaks

IQ Fleet are tweeting a significant leak.

Took them long enough. I hope everyone did that thing I said in the leaks page because it's gonna be too late now!

MikeJF posted:

Seriously, though, another wide angle torpedo! :woop:

Also other stuff.

Take IQ Fleet's leaks with a grain of salt, they don't do the digging my mate does, they just look for new icons and slap them up, sometimes getting it hilariously wrong. They reported on some ancient artwork that was cut from the game as being new content, for example. Not to say they get everything wrong.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
Why is going Engineering or Science so much worse than a Tactical character?

I like the idea of phaser turrets and drones and poo poo. :negative:

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

WarLocke posted:

That's what Boffs are for.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
That wide angle torp is called a Antiproton Crystaline Energy Torpedo [Wide Arc] and we got a CC event coming up on the calendar so I think it's safe to assume what the special reward is going to end up being.

WarLocke posted:

Because pre-DR tacs were the best because PVE was pretty much just a DPS race but it didn't really matter since PVE was piss easy. Cyptic saw this and decided to fix it by massively inflating every enemies HP so now it's a DPS race and it actually matters. Also they killed PVP so healing and control are completely irrelevant.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

WarLocke posted:

Tactical's thing is stacking percentile damage buffs. The game has "evolved" over the years to add more and more increases to damage, which means these buffs become more and more effective. A tac captain can basically do half again the damage of eng/sci for no actual effort and no real downsides.

SKY COQ posted:

That's what Boffs are for.
Also this. Can throw the sci/eng/whatever abilities on your boffs and not care.

Basically there's a reason that 52% of characters are tac and it's only going to get moreso as the game continues unless Cryptic fixes anything. And they won't, since they're Cryptic.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

kafziel posted:

What school, praytell? If the design was genuinely plagiarized then that's just loving hilarious.

Not plagiarized, I assume the in game fountain is based off the fountain in the movie, which was shot on our campus. We're a pretty campus in LA so sometime I just flip on the TV and get hit with unplaceable deja vu until things click and I go "oh, right, that's the east side of Fowler."

DonDoodles
Aug 18, 2010

by general anime
For those who haven't seen, our recruitment thread is again under vicious attack by forum trolls, this time trying to expose our deceitful recruitment tactics by demanding a 10 million ec deposit.

On the plus side, for those Dentals that enjoy pubstomping, we have an open PVP challenge. If anyone takes him up on this, screenshots of the result also must go into the thread.

riccardo171;22587661 posted:

^ahahahahahahahahhahaha

What a stupid fleet. Tell the one you spoke with to 1v1 me. I'd be happy to show that NPC 10 million EC in respawn form.

Stay away from such garbage.

Also, apparently we were set up by some mastermind who turned the tables on us. We also take this game way too seriously, I guess.

jcon96 posted:

You added the Academy and Dental details during the conversation (as the log shows) Adding a few superfluous comments changes nothing. Nor does the opening comments of the thread mention any of this. It is a bait and switch. You get people in, get the money, then boot them for a laugh. You are a scam. You can call me a troll and whatever else you want, but your own words and the words of the supposed fleet leader show this to be the truth. You advertise one thing, then when someone asks to join, suddenly the hidden terms come out. Your little group is like a badly done email scheme. The Nigerian prince scam is run better than you. There is no 10 million signup bonus. It is a fee, (supposedly) refunded (I am sure) at graduation of a (nonexistent) Academy. That is a zero sum game, not a bonus at best, a badly done scam at worst.

Hopefully you did not get too many people to fall for this. Best of luck in your next game. And by the way, you are neither the only or the oldest fleet in game. I remember when you were pulling childish stunts as the newbie fleet both during and after beta. Luring Klingons on ship bridges to kill them over and over. Yeah, that was the vaunted Starfleet Dental. Lately it was the ones you tried to pull during the Nimoy vigils in the last few days. Pathetic.

The funny part is how serious you get over a ...game. A few sharp jabs and you resort to calling other fleets Playskool, and me a troll for posting a conversation with your "administrator of Starfleet Dental Academy". Awfully thin skin for a bunch just having fun, neh?

I've already sent this to Askray, so if you decide to reply to these horrible trolls, I wouldn't spend too much time on writing the post because they'll probably be swept away soon

Link: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1357931&page=7

Edit: And, just for fun -- a pastebin of Pirates Radio pubbies getting tough on Dental
Link: http://pastebin.com/kYhyJGuw

rooster241 posted:

[Pirates.Radio] Vulture@rooster241: dental must go has been and will continue to be around
[Pirates.Radio] Vulture@rooster241: and they'll get there come uppins soon enough
[Pirates.Radio] Vulture@rooster241: right when they mess up
[Pirates.Radio] Vulture@rooster241: i have a deep seeded hatred for there survival

DonDoodles fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Mar 2, 2015

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

DonDoodles posted:

For those who haven't seen, our recruitment thread is again under vicious attack by forum trolls, this time trying to expose our deceitful recruitment tactics by demanding a 10 million ec deposit.

On the plus side, for those Dentals that enjoy pubstomping, we have an open PVP challenge. If anyone takes him up on this, screenshots of the result also must go into the thread.

Also, apparently we were set up by some mastermind who turned the tables on us. We also take this game way too seriously, I guess.

I've already sent this to Askray, so if you decide to reply to these horrible trolls, I wouldn't spend too much time on writing the post because they'll probably be swept away soon

Link: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1357931&page=7

Edit: And, just for fun -- a pastebin of Pirates Radio pubbies getting tough on Dental
Link: http://pastebin.com/kYhyJGuw

I distinctly remember making GBS threads on one of the lag industries tools in kerrat about a couple months ago and him spending a half hour spamming abuse and the n-word in kerrat zone.

ETA: askray has cleaned it up

hakimashou fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Mar 2, 2015

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
Askray has visited the thread already.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

quote:

[Pirates.Radio] Vulture@rooster241: they insulting people showing there respect to leonard limoy

DonDoodles
Aug 18, 2010

by general anime

Did anyone else on Vulcan the last few days marvel at how many pubbies, especially self-identifying Nimoy no. 1 fans, completely butchered his name? I must have seen over a dozen different configurations of it. Pointing that out, of course, equals trolling.

LordCo
Jun 25, 2005

DonDoodles posted:

Did anyone else on Vulcan the last few days marvel at how many pubbies, especially self-identifying Nimoy no. 1 fans, completely butchered his name? I must have seen over a dozen different configurations of it. Pointing that out, of course, equals trolling.

I noticed that:

1 - A disturbing number of them couldn't spell his name even after seeing other people do it right
2 - An even more disturbing number of them thought that "Ghost Spock" was an official Cryptic response and couldn't understand why he wasn't in every zone
3 - Most of them were mourning the loving character and not the actor
4 - Pubbies go batshit insane over the smallest loving things. For example, aside from releasing Nimoy Memorial Balls, I had pubbies go off on me for;

a - Standing in the fountain
b - Standing on the edge of the fountain
c - Running and jumping
d - Standing out of line
e - Standing on the fountain testicles
f - Having a character named Space Satan

But by far, the biggest thing I noticed is that is a lot of the people weren't there to mourn, they were there to worship. If they could have, I think most would have been flagellating themselves with their Ferengi whips.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

LordCo posted:

This legit makes me sad.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

LordCo posted:

I noticed that:

1 - A disturbing number of them couldn't spell his name even after seeing other people do it right
2 - An even more disturbing number of them thought that "Ghost Spock" was an official Cryptic response and couldn't understand why he wasn't in every zone
4 - Pubbies go batshit insane over the smallest loving things. For example, aside from releasing Nimoy Memorial Balls, I had pubbies go off on me for;

a - Standing in the fountain
b - Standing on the edge of the fountain
c - Running and jumping
d - Standing out of line
e - Standing on the fountain testicles
f - Having a character named Space Satan

But by far, the biggest thing I noticed is that is a lot of the people weren't there to mourn, they were there to worship. If they could have, I think most would have been flagellating themselves with their Ferengi whips.

STO pubbies are not like other pubbies.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
For anyone who didn't see, I want to draw attention to nabreeki's brilliant post.

nabreeki;22599901 posted:

I like everything in this game aside from 85% of the player base. I think Cryptic has done an excellent job post-DR of reigning in issues of repetitive grinding and over rewarding players
The hard fail options on Advance STFs was badly needed, as now pubbies who can't play the game must either improve or continually fail.

Also lol at people still moaning about Tovan Khev. I'd actually prefer more Boffs like this in the future, as I think the choices need to be more limited for players; it's easier for players who don't have the boff know-how to just go with what's given to them.

This is how it is meant to be done.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I got to lvl 41 and am now flying the Tier 5 Bird of Prey. Unfortunately the enemies in the repeatable quests (especially Empire Defense) have now gotten a lot tougher and so running them is no longer as fun.

So is this the part where the games stops being fun?

EDIT: I hate that the game doesn't default your attacks to the first row.

EDIT2: Can I make a macro to fire both my dual heavy cannons with one action key?

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Mar 2, 2015

DonDoodles
Aug 18, 2010

by general anime

hakimashou posted:

For anyone who didn't see, I want to draw attention to nabreeki's brilliant post.

Your bank/ec cap post is going to drive them wild. This is going to be a great thread. Calling it now.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

quote =! edit

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

SirPhoebos posted:

I got to lvl 41 and am now flying the Tier 5 Bird of Prey. Unfortunately the enemies in the repeatable quests (especially Empire Defense) have now gotten a lot tougher and so running them is no longer as fun.

EDIT2: Can I make a macro to fire both my dual heavy cannons with one action key?

http://hilbertguide.com/

Some general help and settings.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

I guess this is a thing?

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug

hakimashou posted:

You could at least link to the thread rather than make me trawl through the horrors of the sto forums.

Edit:

It's this one for the rest of you.

Aleth fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Mar 2, 2015

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

SirPhoebos posted:

Right click your weapons. That will enable auto-fire.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

UoI posted:

I guess this is a thing?

What's the context on that?

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I don't even remember. The thread's gone.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

SirPhoebos posted:

You got to level 41 without realising there's a 'fire all weapons' button? You poor bastard.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

This game has always been loving horrible about having useful tutorials even for basic things like "you can set weapons to autofire", despite the fact the tutorials have been revamped... what, three or four times now?

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Asimo posted:

This game has always been loving horrible about having useful tutorials even for basic things like "you can set weapons to autofire", despite the fact the tutorials have been revamped... what, three or four times now?

SirPhoebos posted:

As mentioned, right click to enable auto fire.

Also, at 41 you don't need to be worrying about repeatable quests - just go through story stuff.

DonDoodles
Aug 18, 2010

by general anime

UoI posted:

I guess this is a thing?

Yeah. They added it to their updated forum rules without telling anyone. The 5-point system is set up so if you get 20 points, you're "perma-banned."

1. Infraction/24 hour-3 day ban - 5
2. Infraction/1 week ban - 10
3. Infraction/2 week ban - 15
4. Perma-ban - 20

Smirk and Q have been using this new system quite liberally as far as the rules go. I went from 0-15 in a period of 40 days.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

MikeJF posted:

You got to level 41 without realising there's a 'fire all weapons' button? You poor bastard.

Well I knew there was a button, but I didn't know how to put it on my action bar :sweatdrop:

In any case, thanks for the advice.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

So I'm still in GoonTrek, the old chat channel. Apparently we're using a new one?

Can I get an invite for Ryllynyth@Ryllynyth?

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
It doesn't matter if you get banned from the forums anyways, you can just make a new account to post with.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Antiproton torpedos? That's weird.

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.
Boosted by antiproton consoles. Oh my.

FrostyJones
Sep 23, 2012
Energy torps might be one way to make them more appealing to use. Too bad anything else would be better in the slot.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Technical Analysis posted:

Boosted by antiproton consoles. Oh my.
No [Arc] though, so pointless on beamboats, the only ships that matter. :effort:

It's not like antiproton damage needed another indirect buff too. On some level it's a bit annoying, since having it be boosted by energy consoles and skills circumvents a huge problem with torpedo scaling (namely, having to split your skills and consoles to get decent damage from them and still winding up worse off than specializing) but doing it as a special item means they'll never do something similar as a broader fix.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Might make DBB omniAP gimmick builds a little less gimmicky, maybe.

Depends on how it interacts with torp spread and stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Asimo posted:

No [Arc] though, so pointless on beamboats, the only ships that matter. :effort:

Is the talk about torpedo boats on the STO forums as dumb as it sounds?

Basically you take a Tactical captain to stack damage buffs, you stack the doffs that proc torpedo cooldowns, load up on 3-4 torps in a science vessel, set weapon power to 0 and crank shield/engine/aux, use science abilities to drain shields and/or transphasics to bypass them... :psyduck:

• Locked thread