Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Captain Foo posted:

true and sad
the only worse fate than being bought by hp is being bought by yahoo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

infernal machines posted:

no there's plenty of hp products still using rs232

since they're all used for high margin business related products they should be spun off shortly so hp can focus on consumer oriented low margin products

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

the hard part will be coming up with a worse name than "keysight" but if anyone can pull it off its hp

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
hp is going to split into two companies at the end of the year

one will be the consumer computer and printer business

the other will be business servers and networking and everything else

meg whitman is going to the business company

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
poz my Meg biz

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
morning check in - i'm listening to rap real loud and drinkin a shitload of coffee and provisioning servers in Singapore. ok ill post this in cjs too cause evidently i can't thread

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

thanks, reading

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Dolomite posted:

aruba will be strangled in its sleep like 3com, hp is a serial killer

3com was dead long before hp bought them

3com entered a joint venture with a chinese firm you may have heard of, huawei. they liked the products of the jv (H3C) so much they fired basically 100% of the u.s. staff. all that was left stateside was a sales office. 3com then bought huawei's share in H3C. so by the time of acquisiton, 3com was a chinese firm (H3C) with an american headquarters building (3com hq in ... i wanna say, santa clara?)

amusingly hp/h3c and huawei now have a partnership to sell h3c gear

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

did i ever uninstall that?

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

what the hell is ello

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Jonny 290 posted:

morning check in - i'm listening to rap real loud and drinkin a shitload of coffee and provisioning servers in Singapore. ok ill post this in cjs too cause evidently i can't thread

owns

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

As a Millennial I posted:

what the hell is ello

Ello Manifesto

Your social network is owned by advertisers.

Every post you share, every friend you make, and every link you follow is tracked, recorded, and converted into data. Advertisers buy your data so they can show you more ads. You are the product that’s bought and sold.

We believe there is a better way. We believe in audacity. We believe in beauty, simplicity, and transparency. We believe that the people who make things and the people who use them should be in partnership.

We believe a social network can be a tool for empowerment. Not a tool to deceive, coerce, and manipulate — but a place to connect, create, and celebrate life.

You are not a product.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
in other words it makes no money and the only thing stopping it from going under is its unpopularity

crusader_complex
Jun 4, 2012

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

Ello Manifesto

ello ell

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

looooooooooooooooooooooooooool

"Tinder’s new premium service has launched in the UK, but the price will vary, depending on your age. According to the the Evening Standard, Tinder Plus costs £3.99 (about $6), and will grant you features like unlimited likes and the ability to go back on your last swipe, but that price jumps to £14.99 (about $23) for users over 28."

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

qntm posted:

in other words it makes no money and the only thing stopping it from going under is its unpopularity

VC buxxx. they will do the opposite of everything in rrrrrrrrrrrt's post

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

lol, that breach at uber that exposed names and license information? turns out that it was because they uploaded a private key to github.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Pinterest Mom posted:

looooooooooooooooooooooooooool

"Tinder’s new premium service has launched in the UK, but the price will vary, depending on your age. According to the the Evening Standard, Tinder Plus costs £3.99 (about $6), and will grant you features like unlimited likes and the ability to go back on your last swipe, but that price jumps to £14.99 (about $23) for users over 28."

holy poo poo yessssssss

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

should be more imo

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

duTrieux. posted:

lol, that breach at uber that exposed names and license information? turns out that it was because they uploaded a private key to github.

it will never be not-lol when people do this

or when customers just send over unencrypted private keys in plaintext email to large CC lists without a care int eh world, before i can give them a secure way to do it

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

this is the future of ad-supported content, to keep your demographics clean punish outliers

imagine if espn put an extra $5 on your cable bill if there was no 18-49 males living in the subscriber household

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

i'm tired of ageism in my gently caress apps

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

qirex posted:

this is the future of ad-supported content, to keep your demographics clean punish outliers

imagine if espn put an extra $5 on your cable bill if there was no 18-49 males living in the subscriber household

oh god don't give them ideas

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

qirex posted:

i would say that would never happen because it's hilariously illegal but who knows now

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

Ello Manifesto

Your social network is owned by advertisers.

Every post you share, every friend you make, and every link you follow is tracked, recorded, and converted into data. Advertisers buy your data so they can show you more ads. You are the product that’s bought and sold.

We believe there is a better way. We believe in audacity. We believe in beauty, simplicity, and transparency. We believe that the people who make things and the people who use them should be in partnership.

We believe a social network can be a tool for empowerment. Not a tool to deceive, coerce, and manipulate — but a place to connect, create, and celebrate life.

You are not a product.

oh yeah that thing

they still exist?? :pwn:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

As a Millennial I posted:

oh yeah that thing

they still exist?? :pwn:

growing, too. just sniped a dude from us. i think they got another round mayb

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

theflyingexecutive posted:

i would say that would never happen because it's hilariously illegal but who knows now

ain't no law about cable channel prices

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I have a friend who made a pilot for trutv and even though it tested really well too many women watched it so they didn't pick it up as a series

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

growing, too. just sniped a dude from us. i think they got another round mayb

the gently caress

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

qirex posted:

i think this is the opposite phenomenon . if you're over 28, single, and hang out in bar-type places where tinder would be useful, you potentially have a lot more disposable income than the 19 year old dabbling in it

so, imagine if espn put an extra $5 on your cable bill for every 28-49 male

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
charging more for the olds is pretty genius for a number of reasons

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

they need to adopt the same pricing tiers for music festivals and all shows from bands reviewed by pitchfork

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

theflyingexecutive posted:

they need to adopt the same pricing tiers for music festivals and all shows from bands reviewed by pitchfork

lol *thinks young people listening to Mumford and sons are somehow better than the olds listening to them*

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Ricky Bad Posts posted:

lol *thinks young people listening to Mumford and sons are somehow better than the olds listening to them*

lol *uses loving mumford and sons as an example of a pitchfork band*

welcome to the expensive ticket tier grandpa

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

When Mumford & Sons stray from their tales of romantic martyrdom, the results are actually worse. Late in the album, "Dust Bowl Dance" kicks up some American Gothic ambience with what sounds like the least believable stab at a murder ballad ever set to record. "I'll go out back and I'll get my gun," Mumford sings, like a man who had never handled a firearm in his life. "I said, 'You haven't met me, I am the only son.'" When the Sons' electric guitars finally kick in, the song descends from ill-advised to downright embarrassing. Live, it's probably their closer, but "Dust Bowl Dance" hints that Mumford & Sons are in the costume business. They're playing dress-up in threadbare clothes.

2.1/10

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Mumford and Sux

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

i had to wiki who they are

quote:

Mumford & Sons are a British folk rock band.

lmao

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

folk rock, the whitest and most middle class of all genres

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Citizen Tayne posted:

Mumford and Sux

this but unironically

• Locked thread