Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
KVR is always mad. At everything. That's their job. Last month someone casually posted that their kid was at the doctor and within an hour an army of anti-vaxxers swooped down to spread their gospel. I'm sure the next year of One-Synth Contests will be PC only again.

Still it does feel like the buyout was done in the most consumer-unfriendly way possible (and I say this as an Apple fanboy who has no Camel products) but welp, money is money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Radiapathy posted:

So the rumors have been confirmed: Apple did buy Camel Audio.

The PC user outrage on KVR is off the charts; people swearing never to support anything those developers do in the future. I'm sure the Camel guys are crying all the way to the bank.

Logic is my DAW of choice, so I'm actually pretty happy with the news.

Also, what stops these guys from continuing to use what they already bought? Jesus, I'm running a legacy Firestudio 2626, and they offer NO support or drivers for 10.9, but whatever, I'm fine, because a new system coming out doesn't mean I can't keep working with what I have.

Some people :psyduck:

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Radiapathy posted:

The PC user outrage on KVR is off the charts; people swearing never to support anything those developers do in the future. I'm sure the Camel guys are crying all the way to the bank.

The only thing I'm upset about is that they didn't tell people that they were closing up shop like a week before if you wanted to grab some of their sound packs. I really wanted the Iceland and Clockwork ones and now will never be able to get them.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Pretty sure I had 15 bucks of store credit left too. A heads up would have been great.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

A Winner is Jew posted:

The only thing I'm upset about is that they didn't tell people that they were closing up shop like a week before if you wanted to grab some of their sound packs. I really wanted the Iceland and Clockwork ones and now will never be able to get them.

It's Apple; I'm sure the NDAs were quite thorough and meant no "hey guys, we might sell our company next week; buy now if you're a PC user and/or don't use Logic Pro X!" and it's not in Apple's interest to give you a chance to buy what you want before it's sold to you by Apple as part of Logic Pro X or XI.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

fordan posted:

It's Apple; I'm sure the NDAs were quite thorough and meant no "hey guys, we might sell our company next week; buy now if you're a PC user and/or don't use Logic Pro X!" and it's not in Apple's interest to give you a chance to buy what you want before it's sold to you by Apple as part of Logic Pro X or XI.

Well yeah I just wish there was a way to get those without making Logic my main DAW even though I'll most likely be purchasing a Mac for my next computer but I didn't want to give up using Studio One as my DAW... and you can't use the native Logic instruments in any other environment.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

Radiapathy posted:

Hah! I was just talking about Camel Audio suddenly going dark with my buddy/studio partner last night over late night food and ciders. I mentioned that there was all sort of rumor and speculation at the time, and some thought that it might have been Apple, but I thought that was nonsense. Guess I spoke too soon!

I'm sure this has probably already been asked here before, but is there any way to do license transfers? I'm asking because I'm wondering if that might be the only viable route to getting a used/pre-owned copy of Alchemy now...

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.

minidracula posted:

Guess I spoke too soon!

I'm sure this has probably already been asked here before, but is there any way to do license transfers? I'm asking because I'm wondering if that might be the only viable route to getting a used/pre-owned copy of Alchemy now...
I was certain they'd been bought, but I was skeptical about it being Apple until I finally saw proof.

Anyway, yeah, transfers are apparently still legit at least for the short term; people are selling/trading CA licenses like crazy on KVR. Tons of folks trying to snap up the libraries.

There were a couple online vendors who legitimately sold Camel stuff for a couple weeks after the site stopped taking purchases, but I think the only people selling licenses now are private users.

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

A Winner is Jew posted:

you can't use the native Logic instruments in any other environment.

This is what ReWire is for, right?

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

0dB posted:

You'll most likely get them with the next version of Apple Logic.

Goal! Goal for Australia!

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

Dessert Rose posted:

This is what ReWire is for, right?

Unfortunately you'd have to use logic as the sequencer and the other DAW as the slave, as ReWire doesn't support Logic Pro as a slave DAW.

If you're fine with that order, though :cheers:

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

poo poo, for a guy not having a clue how harmony works, that XFer Cthulhu vst is just a bundle of fun, isn't it.

Load up a midi file with the right mood, record chords, clean up, rock out, have something sounding coherent that isn't even necessarily derivative (because you're not cloning order or rhythm or use all of the chords per se).

Millions of midi files out there for free, some even of recent stuff if you were thinking of doing a remix of some hit from scratch.

$40, what's not to like? This goes in the toolbox, drat.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Flipperwaldt posted:

poo poo, for a guy not having a clue how harmony works, that XFer Cthulhu vst is just a bundle of fun, isn't it.

Load up a midi file with the right mood, record chords, clean up, rock out, have something sounding coherent that isn't even necessarily derivative (because you're not cloning order or rhythm or use all of the chords per se).

Millions of midi files out there for free, some even of recent stuff if you were thinking of doing a remix of some hit from scratch.

$40, what's not to like? This goes in the toolbox, drat.

Cthulhu is also great for when you have a solid chord progression but want to change things up a bit or experiment to rearrange that progression.

Speaking of toolbox VST's, Axon from Audio Damage is really good for abstract melodies and poly rhythms since you can use it as either the FX synth that it is, or have it's non-linear sequencer run something else.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

I use Cthulhu a lot to get a basis down to play with later on. Reaper lets you record MIDI out from a plugin so I can just pull the pattern and tweak different iterations later. There's some usability stuff I'd really like to see though.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

So this Cthulhu is worth it, huh? I could definitely use a bit of help coming up with new stuff, thanks for posting about it! :toot:

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Actually, just watch this video to see if it could improve your workflow:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3t2yD1kX2_w

I haven't even touched the arpeggiator part yet, but it looks neat.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Flipperwaldt posted:

Watching this now, oh my god :allears: I can't wait, going to probably pick this up in the next little while. Goddamned taxes were rough this year.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Flipperwaldt posted:

Now I feel really bad for not telling you guys about this for the year and a half that I've had it.

Also, the arpeggiator takes some getting use to but I've found it's best not to even mess with the "waves" portion and just arpeggiate via note sequence number.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
That does look really interesting, but it sounds like it's a pain in the rear end to make it work in Logic. Anyone have experience with that?

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

One thing I only recently figured out, which I don't think is in the manual: if you have the Chord button under the arp pressed in, the different numbers play different inversions of the chord. Probably useful for somebody!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Trig Discipline posted:

That does look really interesting, but it sounds like it's a pain in the rear end to make it work in Logic. Anyone have experience with that?

I think you can just use IAC to fix it. There's a walkthrough on the website I think, plus they say (for Logic 9) to read chapter 4 of the manual.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Cthulhu has a MIDI FX version now so it's less of an issue in X than it was previously.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Oh yeah? Hrmery. I'm on Logic Pro X, so that sounds good. I may have to give that a shot.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I've looked at Cthulu before, but I'm wondering; are people just using the Bach chorales that come with it or are there like libraries and stuff for it that you use?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

didn't Bach write like a billion of those things? seems like you would not run out of dope chords just from those especially if its more of an "idea starter" device - I had not heard of this thing before it was posted about itt, but it looks pretty awesome

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Your Computer posted:

I've looked at Cthulu before, but I'm wondering; are people just using the Bach chorales that come with it or are there like libraries and stuff for it that you use?

The updates injected a bunch more midi chord libraries into it so they're way more than just the chorales now, plus you can also make your own chord files and it helps you arrange them in ways you never would have thought of. I was kind of meh on it for a while since the bach stuff was the only thing that came with it but now that and Axom are my two "idea" VST's I fire up when I want to expand on an idea or when I'm not really inspired.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Audiobombs has several.
https://www.audiobombs.com/items/125/deep-house-chords-for-cthulhu
https://www.audiobombs.com/items/118/cthulu-chord-presets
https://www.audiobombs.com/items/402/chords-for-cthulu

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I had an idea sort of similar to this a few years ago, I played some variations of Chopin's Prelude no 20 on piano - the piece is basically a short burst of awesome chords - then chopped up that recording and then came up with a new song by assigning those chords back to notes and playing something completely different which became the piano part in the "chorus" of this track

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Earwicker posted:

I had an idea sort of similar to this a few years ago, I played some variations of Chopin's Prelude no 20 on piano - the piece is basically a short burst of awesome chords - then chopped up that recording and then came up with a new song by assigning those chords back to notes and playing something completely different which became the piano part in the "chorus" of this track

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdxkVQy7QLM

All modern music is basically a remix of Canon in D.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Neat. Maybe I'll save up for it :homebrew:

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Your Computer posted:

The presets are the quickest way to get something going, because they are already cleaned up (single notes removed and poo poo like that). And it's Bach, so you know it's going to make a modicum of sense. I wouldn't think it beneath me to go that way.

But on the other hand I have a couple of thousand amateur midi files that came on cd roms with mod files I bought in the nineties. Most of them are poo poo for use as-is (mechanical playing, overcrowded arrangement, stuff like that) and I always wanted some convenient way of recycling whatever useful there was in there. Like, say I wanted to do something with a latin vibe, I'll just pull up some lovely bossa nova thing and go from there. I wouldn't know how to get near that otherwise, since I completely lack the knowledge. Once I've got a core down, I can move on to what to me is the fun stuff.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Hoping someone can help me out with this..

I just bought a new Macbook Pro. I did a system migration of Applications from my old MBP.

I activated the version of Ableton on my new computer, works fine. However none of the VST's are there. I figured I might need to re-download some of them, ok.

Here's the confusing part, many of the VST's I was using also exist as standalone programs. Kontakt, Massive, Battery, SampleTron, etc., there are a bunch of them, mostly NI stuff. These have been transferred over as part of the system migration.

So my question is, for those particular programs is there a simple way to get Ableton to recognize them as VST's/AU's again, without having to reinstall all of that? Would it make more sense to just reinstall the NI stuff from a Komplete hard drive? Will the existence of the standalone programs already being there cause a problem?

Basically I'm hoping someone here has migrated all of their audio poo poo from one macbook to another and knows the least pain in the rear end way to do it..

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Mar 13, 2015

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Not sure I fully understand - did you move your VST folder over, or did you just move the standalone program files? The actual program file and the vst program file are two separate entities and both need to be moved.

Default VST locations are:

VST2 Plugins:

Hard disk // Library // Audio // Plug-Ins // VST
Hard disk // Users // Username // Library // Audio // Plug-Ins // VST

VST3 Plugins:

Hard disk // Library // Audio // Plug-Ins // VST3

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Ok that makes sense thanks. I just moved the standalone files (or basically everything that is included in Application transfer using migration assistant)

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
No worries! Hope it works.

Completely other topic: I've recently snagged Bitwig, and I'm really really into it. There are a few things I'm missing (support for video and AU are the biggies), but by and large I really, really love it. Using effects that take MIDI and audio simultaneously is easier than in any other DAW I've used, and the way the built-in modulation and automation hook into VSTs is extremely cool. There are a few little bugs and weirdnesses that are probably just due to it being so new, but even so I honestly can't remember liking a DAW this much since...ever.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Earwicker posted:

Hoping someone can help me out with this..

I just bought a new Macbook Pro. I did a system migration of Applications from my old MBP.

I activated the version of Ableton on my new computer, works fine. However none of the VST's are there. I figured I might need to re-download some of them, ok.

Here's the confusing part, many of the VST's I was using also exist as standalone programs. Kontakt, Massive, Battery, SampleTron, etc., there are a bunch of them, mostly NI stuff. These have been transferred over as part of the system migration.

So my question is, for those particular programs is there a simple way to get Ableton to recognize them as VST's/AU's again, without having to reinstall all of that? Would it make more sense to just reinstall the NI stuff from a Komplete hard drive? Will the existence of the standalone programs already being there cause a problem?

Basically I'm hoping someone here has migrated all of their audio poo poo from one macbook to another and knows the least pain in the rear end way to do it..

Did you install the NI service center again? Hopefully it should pick up what you have installed by looking in the folders, at worst you might have to put in the serial keys again.

I just did an upgrade on my machine from 10.8 to 10.9 but because it's a hackintosh I couldn't do the migration without the whole system breaking. It took days to reinstall and update all my native instruments stuff (Komplete, Machine + a dozen expansions plus a bunch of other vsts). I only upgraded because the new Logic update wasn't 10.8 compatible, hopefully they'll give me a good couple of years before they lock me out of 10.9.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
FXPansion is selling BFD3 for half price, but they hadn't cut the price on the upgrade from BFD2. I just asked them about it on Facebook and they said "just submit a support ticket and we'll cut you a deal". I did, and they did - upgraded to BFD3 for $75! Haven't had a chance to mess with it yet, but it sure looks neat.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Trig Discipline posted:

FXPansion is selling BFD3 for half price, but they hadn't cut the price on the upgrade from BFD2. I just asked them about it on Facebook and they said "just submit a support ticket and we'll cut you a deal". I did, and they did - upgraded to BFD3 for $75! Haven't had a chance to mess with it yet, but it sure looks neat.

I upgraded to XLN Audio's Addictive Drums 2 months ago, and still haven't really messed around with it :smith:

After work, man, I don't want to even bother, and I hate that.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I upgraded to XLN Audio's Addictive Drums 2 months ago, and still haven't really messed around with it :smith:

After work, man, I don't want to even bother, and I hate that.

I work from home programming 8-10 hours a day in the same room all my musical equipment is in. At the end of the day and on weekends, the last thing I want to do is spend more time in here. I really need to quit this job and open a rum bar on a beach or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Oldstench posted:

I work from home programming 8-10 hours a day in the same room all my musical equipment is in. At the end of the day and on weekends, the last thing I want to do is spend more time in here. I really need to quit this job and open a rum bar on a beach or something.

Same, working from a home studio has helped my work time to be more efficient, but it means that at the end of the work day the last thing I want to do is stare at the same two screens for more hours.

On the subject of drum software, what's everybody's thoughts on Liquid Rhythm? I'm a complete feeb when it comes to writing drum parts, so a non-traditional approach to it like this appeals to me, but it's hard for me to get a sense of how useful it'd be compared to anything else.