Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
That tree story is crazy.

So I was just in London, and this Dutch brand called 'Hema' had just opened up a store. And in the back to school section, they had fountain pens for sale for like 3.50 in pounds, which is, I guess, like $5. I picked it up and it's a surprisingly good pen. It takes cartridges, and I don't even know if it takes a converter. Personally, I don't mind the extra expense for cartridges. I'm too lazy to refill at home, and I'm not going to refill in class like a nerd.

Anyway, thought I'd let you guys know. It's not plastic (except for the area around the nib), it's heavy. Easily the best 'less than $10' pen I've picked up (that I didn't get at a flea market or some poo poo). I wish I had picked up another one of them, because I get nervous if I don't have a spare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:
Any good very fine fountain pens? I got a Lamy Safari with an EF nib and that isn't very fine. My metro medium nib is finer than that.

I also have a hero 616 and 266. The 616 is very fine but feels cheap and drops ink if you shake too hard by accident. The 266 puts down too much ink when writing and isn't that fine.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

GoldenNugget posted:

Any good very fine fountain pens? I got a Lamy Safari with an EF nib and that isn't very fine. My metro medium nib is finer than that.

I also have a hero 616 and 266. The 616 is very fine but feels cheap and drops ink if you shake too hard by accident. The 266 puts down too much ink when writing and isn't that fine.

You could get a Pilot Penmanship and swap its Extra Fine nib into a Metro.

rigeek
Jun 12, 2006

GoldenNugget posted:

I found the EF on the TWSBI to be very fine.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

GoldenNugget posted:

I'm liking the Hero 9296. The nib is a fair bit finer than the 266, and the build quality is much better. I was bored one afternoon and asked my co-workers how much they thought I paid for it. The lowest guess was £50 ( it cost me £2.47 including postage). It also comes with a built-in piston converter, which is another plus.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

Mikl posted:

You could get a Pilot Penmanship and swap its Extra Fine nib into a Metro.

I have to toss in another vote for the penmanship nib. The one that I shoved into my Kakuno is incredibly fine; it's even finer than the EF on my TWSBI 580.

The TWSBI is pretty smooth (after a little moderate tuning), but the penmanship is excellent bang for the buck, especially if you already have a Metro/Kakuno.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
cool I grabbed a penmanship and hero 9296. Hoping they are good.

Vanishing point does look good too but that's too much for me at this time.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

You can get the platinum preppy in EF now, and it's really, really fine. Writes nice too.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

GoldenNugget posted:

I feel your pain w/Hero FPs as I just can't bring myself to like mine despite costing <$10 for 3x of them. I always recommend JPN student pens e.g., Kakuno, Prera, Pilot 78G, and Sailor Neo Ace. They have fine lines and you won't want to keel over if you happen to misplace it.

@MB and miracle tree: Welp, the town did commision it so I can't blame them 100% for it.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Used some of my pens to test out a new camera.

P3010156.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

P3010159.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

P3010158.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

P3010158.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

Geology
Nov 6, 2005

That's awesome! What's up with the first one and the false (?) vent hole?

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
I got an eyedropper Preppy with a bottle of Lexington Grey, I just assumed that it was a defect and the breather hole hadn't been punched out. Writes just fine, so whatever. Interesting to see that it's deliberate, based on that nib.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Geology posted:

That's awesome! What's up with the first one and the false (?) vent hole?

Yeah, not sure what's up with it, but it's an EF platinum preppy nib.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Hehe, I do love the Kakuno's nib : )

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

NeurosisHead posted:

I got an eyedropper Preppy with a bottle of Lexington Grey, I just assumed that it was a defect and the breather hole hadn't been punched out. Writes just fine, so whatever. Interesting to see that it's deliberate, based on that nib.

All Preppy/Plaisir nibs look like that, so it's definitely deliberate.

Slimchandi
May 13, 2005
That finger on your temple is the barrel of my raygun
Do folks here use lots of different brands of ink? I have just stuck to Diamine so far as they are cheap in the UK and more shades than I would ever need. The 30ml bottles are a nice way to try lots, and for £2-3 each you can't go wrong. How much difference could there be to warrant a 10x more expensive bottle of Caran D'ache or Iroshizuku?

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Slimchandi posted:

Do folks here use lots of different brands of ink? I have just stuck to Diamine so far as they are cheap in the UK and more shades than I would ever need. The 30ml bottles are a nice way to try lots, and for £2-3 each you can't go wrong. How much difference could there be to warrant a 10x more expensive bottle of Caran D'ache or Iroshizuku?

Waterman ink is readily available in the UK, and they do a reasonable range of colours. I'm using that at the moment.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Slimchandi posted:

Really depends if you like the color and/or behavior of the more expensive brands. Like I really like kon-peki, and at the time I bought it, there wasn't really a blue that was quite the same, and iro is generally really well behaved. Otherwise, just about all of my other inks are noodlers because :patriot: and :tinfoil:

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
Got my hero 9296 today and it is quite a step up from the hero 266. It's about as fine as the hero 616 but doesn't drip when shaken and feels heavier and thinner. There is some ink pooling around the hood of the section but hasn't been an issue so far. My new favorite pen despite being a tiny bit scratchy. Much finer than the EF Lamy safari.... Why is the Lamy nib so much wider than other brands?

Looking forwards to getting the EF nib from a pilot penmanship. Curious how thin that writes since M nib on the metro is pretty fine already and is smooth as hell.

I wish I could use inks other than black (I use noodler's bulletproof) but my hospital doesn't allow it so bummer.

I might need to get a platinum preppy XF since it's cheap. Also arghh converters are expensive.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Got Parker 45 in today.

Long story short, kind of disappointed. Writes well enough but not nearly as smooth as a number of my Japanese pens.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

GoldenNugget posted:

Got my hero 9296 today and it is quite a step up from the hero 266. It's about as fine as the hero 616 but doesn't drip when shaken and feels heavier and thinner. There is some ink pooling around the hood of the section but hasn't been an issue so far. My new favorite pen despite being a tiny bit scratchy. Much finer than the EF Lamy safari.... Why is the Lamy nib so much wider than other brands?

Looking forwards to getting the EF nib from a pilot penmanship. Curious how thin that writes since M nib on the metro is pretty fine already and is smooth as hell.

I wish I could use inks other than black (I use noodler's bulletproof) but my hospital doesn't allow it so bummer.

I might need to get a platinum preppy XF since it's cheap. Also arghh converters are expensive.

I've been using the 9296 at work for a few weeks now. The scratchiness disappears quite quickly, and I find it a joy to write with. For bonus points, I discovered that the slightly poor piston converter is removable, and the pen accepts international cartridges too. For the price, there's nothing not to like about this pen, and it is available in various colours.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

GoldenNugget posted:

:smith::hf::smith:

Apparently writing important documents in bright orange is "not professional". My boss is no fun :(

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Mikl posted:

Apparently writing important documents in bright orange is "not professional". My boss is no fun :(

Same here. My last boss threw a hissy-fit about me using green ink. I'm tempted to see if I can get away with a decent brown ink this time.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Slimchandi posted:

Just depends on what you like. I tend to get a bunch of samples from Goulet or isellpens at a time and buy a bottle of the ones I like most. I've found my favorite brands are J. Herbin (huge assortment of colors, very well behaved), and DeAtramentis (some neat colors, Cola is my red. Also the Document series blacks are extremely well behaved and do not run at ALL when the paper gets wet. Also tried the blue shades but they creep up the nib and into the cap making them messy.)

rigeek
Jun 12, 2006

Slimchandi posted:

All I have ATM is 3 different Noodler's inks .. but I do intend to branch out beyond that.

rigeek
Jun 12, 2006

Mikl posted:

I don't often have to sign things at work .. most of the writing I do is just in my own notebook .. figures, the ONE day I don't bring a pen inked with blue ink, I had to sign a document. Luckily I could sign it in red and scan it, and nobody really knew the difference. Lesson learned - always bring at least one pen inked with black or blue to the office, or get stuck using a cheap Bic :(

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Slimchandi posted:

Nothing really but the Iro and C'Da bottles look nice. Also, Diamine is approx $12 here due to import costs and all. I like Sailor inks but at the end of the day it's all user preference. I like bright colors and IG inks personally.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

rigeek posted:

I don't often have to sign things at work .. most of the writing I do is just in my own notebook .. figures, the ONE day I don't bring a pen inked with blue ink, I had to sign a document. Luckily I could sign it in red and scan it, and nobody really knew the difference. Lesson learned - always bring at least one pen inked with black or blue to the office, or get stuck using a cheap Bic :(

I have to bring one anyway. I have to get my customers to sign at least as many papers as I do. Snatching my good pens away before they can try impaling the paper with them has quickly become second nature.

rigeek
Jun 12, 2006

Soylent Yellow posted:

I have to bring one anyway. I have to get my customers to sign at least as many papers as I do. Snatching my good pens away before they can try impaling the paper with them has quickly become second nature.

I would never let someone at work use one of my "good" pens.. unless I knew they were already an FP user and knew what they were doing, but the chances of finding someone at my workplace that uses FP's is slim to none.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Slimchandi posted:

There is a lot of ink in the house, here -- much more than we could probably ever use, to be honest. Just in my ink drawer, I have Pilot, Iroshizuku, Platinum, Noodler's, Diamine, Rohrer and Klingner, Toucan, Sailor, Parker, Lamy, Aurora, Visconti and Akkerman -- 40 bottles of ink in all, and a jumble of cartridges as well. In her office, C-- has everything I have and more -- both in brand (Pelikan, Waterman, Sheaffer, Private Reserve, J. Herbin, more I'm not thinking of I'm sure) and in color (she loves reds, bright greens and purples, none of which I have much of). (She's also a bit of a completionist when it comes to reasonable collections, which means she owns things like the bright yellow J. Herbin ink, and so on.)

I've used at least a bit of every one of my bottles of ink except for Quink Black (a just-in-case purchase I made because, well, you never know when you might need a quick-drying black) and the Toucan (bought mostly to experiment with ink mixing -- I've at least decanted it from the IV drip bags it comes in into bottles, but not much more). C-- hasn't even come close, even though she keeps many more pens inked than I do...

Different inks have different properties, and pens write with them in different ways. (Pelikan 4001 is a bit dry, Iroshizuku flows a bit more than others, and so on.) That's part of the fun -- to me -- finding the ink that's colors and properties match the pen I want to use it with well. Diamine's a good ink -- I wish it was that cheap in the US! -- and they have a great many colors. If you want to stick with one brand, you could do worse.

I never have gotten the love for Noodler's. Nothing but problematic for me.

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
Any recommendations for interesting blue-black inks? Needs to lean more towards the black side of things for work but I'd like to get some colour variety beyond just plain black.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

54th Massachusetts. Or I guess if you have a lot of money, Shin-kai. Missed that it needs to be blacker. Uh, substitute Faber-Castell Cobalt Blue then for the pricy option, as long as it's in a fine nib. I use that as my daily driver in a Noodler's MF Konrad.

Remora fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Mar 3, 2015

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

54th is pretty dang black on my F and EF nibs. Not so black on the medium nib varsity that I filled up though.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

kim jong-illin posted:

Any recommendations for interesting blue-black inks? Needs to lean more towards the black side of things for work but I'd like to get some colour variety beyond just plain black.

Bad Belted Kingfisher is also a decent choice that's more black than blue.

Geology
Nov 6, 2005

Don't get waterman mysterious blue. It writes as a blue black but dries to a full on teal. I think maybe that's the mystery. Actually get it anyway because it's a great teal.

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

kim jong-illin posted:

Sailor Sailor Sei Boku for a dusty dark blue
Noodler's Aircorp for a black that also leans into green-blue

Slimchandi
May 13, 2005
That finger on your temple is the barrel of my raygun
Thanks for the ink tips, I have more than enough Diamine to keep me going for a long while but the Herbin shades are tempting. Anyone else like Diamine Sapphire Blue?

In a fit of thread heresy, I have sold my Metro. I kept getting ink in the cap, which made its way onto the section and then to my hands. Sargasso sea everywhere! Also I found the section just a little too narrow for extended writing.

A Faber Castell Basic Carbon arrived in its place today. This is a seriously smooth nib. The pen has some weight in the barrel, and that's the lightest of the four finishes! Its a real joy to write with so far, inks look much more saturated than before.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

kim jong-illin posted:

I have to be the voice of dissent: Noodler's 54th Massachusetts is a problematic ink: smelly, inconsistent flow-wise and prone to drying in nibs. It's too bad because I really like the color. (I also wouldn't say that it leans towards black as much as grey.)

I am kind of a blue-black nut, so, going back through my ink diary, here are some of the darkest blues and blue-blacks:

Akkerman #10 Iron Nutgalls (which is basically Diamine Registar's in a very cool bottle; iron-gall, so permanent, but take good care of the pen it's in; the broader the nib, the quicker the color change, but it will all end up very dark eventually)
Kaweco blue-black (a very boring dark blue-black, but I like it for exactly that reason; I guess this is actually called "midnight blue", though the inks aren't named on the packaging, so...)
Diamine Midnight (a really dark blue; I like it quite a bit)
Rohrer and Klingner Leipziger Schwarz (just a hint of blue in a very black ink)
Rohrer and Klingner Verdigris (a greenish dark blue, just gorgeous)
Iroshizuku shin-kai (dries pretty dark -- it's definitely not a bright color, once it dries)
Iroshizuku tsuki-yo (definitely bluer once it dries; a gorgeous dark teal)
Lamy blue-black (my old standby; it used to be an iron-gall ink but was then reformulated; my 8-year-old bottle went bad and I didn't notice and it gunked up my Lamy 2000 so that I had to send it in for service; since then I've used shin-kai in my 2000, and I haven't tried the reformulation)

I use a couple of others quite often (Quink, Sailor Jentle, Platinum) but the sound like they'd be problematic, color-wise, for you.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Verdigris is hands down my favorite dark ink, and it's super cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
I like noodler's bulletproof but I'm finding it a bit too wet. I also don't always have the choice of paper I would like to write on. Is heart of darkness good? What are other good quick drying black inks? I guess it can be whatever shade of black as long as it's black.