Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Shinjobi posted:

Saiyan blood makes you arrogant. Trunks is the exception...sorta.

Gohan wasn't really arrogant just bloodthirsty. It was a nice wrinkle in goku's plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Shinjobi posted:

I mean Trunks was probably bloodthirsty didn't he snap at the Androids after Gohan died? He just got that character flaw beaten out of him by 17 and 18, so much so that when he could have ended Cell with Vegeta he held back and didn't use his full power out of fear of damaging Vegeta's pride.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.

Shinjobi posted:

It's more than that. Going Super Saiyan taps into the Saiyan's more primal nature. And each tier of SSj drives the Saiyan closer to their apeish origins.This is why Toriyama draws Super Saiyan eyes the same way he draws the eyes for most of his villians. It's to show that a Saiyan is struggling with their inner anger and hatred while in Super Saiyan form.

Gohan is by his very nature a good-hearted boy. Super Saiyan already brings out his resentment toward the life he has led thus far. Super Saiyan 2 essentially opens the floodgates on a decade of daddy issues and generic pathos attributed to people of intellect forced to live in a world of dipshits. SSj2 literally drives Gohan mad.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I know people like to joke about gohan having daddy issues, but his anger never came from that at all.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Monaghan posted:

I know people like to joke about gohan having daddy issues, but his anger never came from that at all.

The trigger to his first SSj transformation came from his dad trying to kill him.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Esroc posted:

The trigger to his first SSj transformation came from his dad trying to kill him.

except he specifically tells his dad to hit him with everything he's got and the only reason he's so pissed off is that he feels like he keeps letting his friends down when they need him.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Monaghan posted:

except he specifically tells his dad to hit him with everything he's got and the only reason he's so pissed off is that he feels like he keeps letting his friends down when they need him.

Not living up to his dads expectations. So in a fit of stockholm syndrome he begs for punishment for his failures. Which his dad provides by trying to blow him the gently caress up.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Gohan manifested a seventh Cell Jr. just so he could kill it too. It's almost the angriest you can be, to do that.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

It's still not fair that everyone else got to be sadistic fucks (Ten, Chiaotzu, Piccolo, Krillin, Goku, Vegeta, Freeza), but when Gohan tries it out, everything goes to poo poo. He didn't even get to enjoy it.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Isn't part of the reason that Goku tells Gohan that they're going to stay in Super Saiyan forever except when sleeping so that they can get used to the emotional instability of Super Saiyan in addition to the energy expenditure?

I'm not sure why people call that "full power" mode though because whenever they fight again after learning how to do that they get mad as hell and and start charging up.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

projecthalaxy posted:

Gohan manifested a seventh Cell Jr. just so he could kill it too. It's almost the angriest you can be, to do that.

worst change in kai imo was taking out the 8th one

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Two Finger posted:

worst change in kai imo was taking out the 8th one

Was it 8? I couldn't remember if it was Cell made six, Gohan killed seven or 7/8, but Xenoverse's quest on the subject makes you kill six so I assumed it was that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

projecthalaxy posted:

Was it 8? I couldn't remember if it was Cell made six, Gohan killed seven or 7/8, but Xenoverse's quest on the subject makes you kill six so I assumed it was that.

Xenoverse should have made the broken time for that be an extra Cell Jr.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

projecthalaxy posted:

cell made seven

he wanted an even match and the z-fighters had a crew of 8 (goku, gohan, piccolo, vegeta, yamcha, tien, krillin, trunks), so he made seven. the anime had gohan kill 8. one of them could have used tien's duplicate move, though.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Wait, Gohan was 10 years old during the Cell Games? Holy poo poo, I figured he was at least 14 by that point.. Why is he always referred to as "Teen Gohan"?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

mostly i just think it's toriyama not having exact character ages written down/not keeping up with his own timeline, he seems pretty clearly meant to be 13ish by his fight with cell, counting the year he lost to the time chamber

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

New Leaf posted:

Why is he always referred to as "Teen Gohan"?

Well, Frieza Saga is Kid Gohan and high school student is Adult Gohan, so...

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Endorph posted:

cell made seven

he wanted an even match and the z-fighters had a crew of 8 (goku, gohan, piccolo, vegeta, yamcha, tien, krillin, trunks), so he made seven. the anime had gohan kill 8. one of them could have used tien's duplicate move, though.

Eight then, cool. And yeah the Split Form technique is cool and would have frequently been handy.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them
Also I seem to remember the dub aging him up to at least 13 during the Cell Games, not sure if that was kept for later dubs/Kai however

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

It's funny how what is accepted as canon is reliant on the failing/fuzzy memory of a man who clearly doesn't care as much about the technicalities within his own universe as the fans do..

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

projecthalaxy posted:

Eight then, cool. And yeah the Split Form technique is cool and would have frequently been handy.
3 tiens would have taken *3* kicks for super buu to ko

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

They could have triangulated their tri-beams at Cell and lost triple the life force!

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

New Leaf posted:

Wait, Gohan was 10 years old during the Cell Games? Holy poo poo, I figured he was at least 14 by that point.. Why is he always referred to as "Teen Gohan"?

I think the dub added an extra year or two to the period between the end of Namek and Goku's return, possibly to take into account the Garlic Jr Saga

Also I'm not the only person who likes Garlic Jr right, cause he's got that whole "Pilaf if competent" thing going for him, not to mention Dead Zone is one of the best movies

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

garlic jr is pretty cool

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Garlic, Jr. is my favorite character in DBZBT2.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
One of the better parts of Garlic Jr is that it leads to Krillin naming his daughter after an ex-girlfriend. :v:

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Wait, why DOESN'T Goku teach all his friends Instant Transmission? Like, attacks I get, you want your own style and whatnot, but wouldn't it immensely benefit everyone to be able to teleport at all times?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Little Mac posted:

Wait, why DOESN'T Goku teach all his friends Instant Transmission? Like, attacks I get, you want your own style and whatnot, but wouldn't it immensely benefit everyone to be able to teleport at all times?

He is both bad at long term planning and kind of a dickhead.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

CharlestheHammer posted:

Everyone remembers Vegeta's dumb thing but it is overshadowed by the fact the Android/Cell saga can also be called the Vegeta gets owned repeatedly saga.

You could also call it the Namek saga.

It's kind of weird to think about what his last significant win was. Wasn't it Pui Pui? That guy barely even counts as a fight. Before that was what, Android 19? and before that it was Zarbon? Vegeta never really got to do very much.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Little Mac posted:

That and Kaioken. Can't keep those humans relevant..

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

If Goku was even a little willing to help people get stronger who weren't his enemies half the problems in the series would be done with. Even Yamcha could wreck face with Kaioken.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

New Leaf posted:

It's funny how what is accepted as canon is reliant on the failing/fuzzy memory of a man who clearly doesn't care as much about the technicalities within his own universe as the fans do..
You are pretty ridiculously salty about what the definition of canon is.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

If Goku was even a little willing to help people get stronger who weren't his enemies half the problems in the series would be done with. Even Yamcha could wreck face with Kaioken.

Plus I bet Tien would have pulled like a Kaioken x1000 against Buu and immediately exploded, because that's the sort of dude he is.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Momomo posted:

You could also call it the Namek saga.

It's kind of weird to think about what his last significant win was. Wasn't it Pui Pui? That guy barely even counts as a fight. Before that was what, Android 19? and before that it was Zarbon? Vegeta never really got to do very much.

Nah Namek had him kicking the rear end of most of Freeza's men. Plus when he did get beaten, it was in situations where he was only fighting because he had too. He knew perfectly well he was gonna lose. The Androids and Cell both involve him running into situations he could have avoided and getting his rear end handed to him.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

projecthalaxy posted:

Plus I bet Tien would have pulled like a Kaioken x1000 against Buu and immediately exploded, because that's the sort of dude he is.

The "man, what's the big deal about death' personality that DBZA gave Tien just makes so so much sense.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Twiddy posted:

You are pretty ridiculously salty about what the definition of canon is.

Not really. I never read the manga. Most of the best bits of the series to me are considered non-canon. I just think it's funny how whatever comes out of Toryiama's head is legit, regardless of how incorrect it could be.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Well Kaioken is suppose to be so hard to master not even King Kai can use it. Instant Transmission took Goku like 2 years to master it.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
So Vegeta's character in the androids/cell arc really bugs me. It seems like Toriyama himself was like "what is Vegeta's personality again? Oh yeah, he's obsessed with challenging strong guys and beating them!" and then he went from there. When I watch the Saiyan and Namek episodes it's like I'm seeing a totally different character. I'll explain.

Google says arrogant means "having or revealing an exaggerated sense of one's own importance or abilities," meaning, basically, an opinion of one's abilities that doesn't quite match up with reality.

Vegeta lands on Earth believing he's the strongest and will beat everyone easily. Does he brag and preen about it? Absolutely. Is he an rear end in a top hat? Undoubtedly. But does he have "an exaggerated sense" of his power? Considering it takes everyone plus some dumb luck to take him down? Nope. He's hands down the strongest.

On Namek, Vegeta knows he's toast if he doesn't play his cards right, so he sneaks around, teams up with Earthlings, and approaches his quest for immortality as a scrappy underdog. In other words, he realistically assesses the situation and doesn't have a massively inaccurate opinion of his own abilities.

Where Vegeta goes off the rails here is his belief that he is or will be a Super Saiyan. If I were to treat this behavior like something that revealed character rather than an expository plot device, I'd say Vegeta clings to this belief because otherwise he would have to come to terms with the fact that he's unbelievably screwed -- and once he does, he breaks down in tears.

Then we get to the androids arc and he continuously underestimates his opponents despite glaring evidence that they will beat his rear end. He doesn't try anything wily or clever, he just wants to fight strong guys and win. What gives, yo?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Well he legit believes he is stronger than the androids. He crushed 19 and assumed he was stronger than the rest. Though he actually does use trickery on Gero after beating 19.

I mean he can't sense their power, and he has finally achieved what is basically his life long dream.

He also legit believes he is stronger than Cell as Cell hides his power upon ascension for whatever reason he does that.

It all comes down to the fact Vegeta was familiar with the Ginyu force and Freeza, while he had no idea what to expect from the Androids and Cell.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Mar 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

say hello to super freeza

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soe-rEMKytY really bad video of the new trailer

• Locked thread