Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

They also removed waterproofing, removed expandable memory, it no longer has removable batteries and they added a thumbscanner a la touch ID. So, besides design, it's basically converging on the iPhone concept like a meteor.

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Mar 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The fingerprint scanner, at least isn't new to the S6. The S5 debuted it at Samsung and doesn't work anywhere near as well as TouchID.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

RhoA posted:

Didn't Apple already sue Samsung because of similar copying issues?

Yep. This'll keep some lawyers nice and busy for a while.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Endless Mike posted:

The fingerprint scanner, at least isn't new to the S6. The S5 debuted it at Samsung and doesn't work anywhere near as well as TouchID.

Samsung didn't have the chutzpah to put it in the home button last year, though.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Endless Mike posted:

It's a one-touch scanner now in the s6, not a swipe.

kitten smoothie posted:

Samsung didn't have the chutzpah to put it in the home button last year, though.

Yes, they did. You might be thinking of the heart-rate sensor?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I stand corrected, I thought the HR sensor and fingerprint sensor were together on the back.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
One thing that stood out to me was the Samsung Pay thing. Their system is compatible with magnetic readers as well as NFC, so you can use it at pretty much any register with a credit card reader. I really hope NFC payments keep spreading, because there is exactly one store I go to where I can use it.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Super Dude posted:

One thing that stood out to me was the Samsung Pay thing. Their system is compatible with magnetic readers as well as NFC, so you can use it at pretty much any register with a credit card reader. I really hope NFC payments keep spreading, because there is exactly one store I go to where I can use it.

It seems poorly timed though because come October 1 your magnetic stripe is going to start getting less use. After then, if retailers swipe a counterfeit magstripe card then they will be on the hook for the loss.

Meanwhile, shops are continuing to install card terminals that are EMV compatible and have NFC readers.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
In the UK I don't think I've ever had the magnetic swipe used on any of my cards, it's all chip and PIN here. I started to wonder why they bothered putting the mag stripes on at all util I forgot that the US was still using them. Then again we don't get Apple Pay here for a while yet. :(

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Kalman posted:

Yep. This'll keep some lawyers nice and busy for a while.

Hey, if it curbs their sliding sales, the cost of litigation may wind up being worth it.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Space Racist posted:

Hey, if it curbs their sliding sales, the cost of litigation may wind up being worth it.

Oh I mean it's definitely worthwhile, and as an IP attorney myself I am all for them litigating it because this kind of litigation pays my rent, I was just saying that this seems like a pretty decent candidate to restart the Apple-Samsung fight on.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

The S6 fingerprint sensor works like the iPhone now. You touch it instead of sliding your finger. PROGRESS!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Space Racist posted:

Apple sales are down? All I'd heard was that the iPhone 6 is a huge (hurr) hit.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

tuyop posted:

Apple sales are down? All I'd heard was that the iPhone 6 is a huge (hurr) hit.

They were saying if the S6 turns Samsung's declining sales around, then maybe it's worth it to them to risk Apple calling them out on it in a court of law.

CAROL
Oct 29, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
hey so i got drunk and accidentally bought an iphone 6 and now i have an iphone 6

whats a good app/program for this computer to use?

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
iTunes.

CAROL
Oct 29, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
thanks

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

It works fine. I've been using it as my unlock mechanism forever

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

How do stop this from popping up? I have the app installed and I'm at the hospital near the Target. It's very annoying.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Just a guess, but go into Privacy>Location Services and turn off whatever app that is? If an app is annoying you, poke around in Settings until you figure out how to make it stop. There are always permissions to be revoked for that kind of stuff.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Mar 3, 2015

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

obi_ant posted:

How do stop this from popping up? I have the app installed and I'm at the hospital near the Target. It's very annoying.

Should be able to go to Settings -> Notifications, find the app, and turn off the badges or just simply turn off the notifications for the app.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Just a guess, but go into Privacy>Location Services and turn off whatever app that is? If an app is annoying you, poke around in Settings until you figure out how to make it stop. There are always permissions to be revoked for that kind of stuff.

It's a geofenced Passbook card. Open Passbook, tap the "Target" card there to flip it over. Either hit delete to permanently nuke it, or just turn off the "show on lock screen" button. The Cartwheel app is actually kind of nice for finding deals at Target, and it can add a passbook card for your coupons, but geofencing a card like that is clearly a design for a world where Targets are in strip malls with giant parking lots.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

kitten smoothie posted:

It's a geofenced Passbook card. Open Passbook, tap the "Target" card there to flip it over. Either hit delete to permanently nuke it, or just turn off the "show on lock screen" button. The Cartwheel app is actually kind of nice for finding deals at Target, and it can add a passbook card for your coupons, but geofencing a card like that is clearly a design for a world where Targets are in strip malls with giant parking lots.

Ah! This was it. I messed with all the settings aside for Passport. Cartwheel is pretty cool cause it's stackable with the Target card.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

XyrlocShammypants posted:

They also removed waterproofing, removed expandable memory, it no longer has removable batteries and they added a thumbscanner a la touch ID. So, besides design, it's basically converging on the iPhone concept like a meteor.

Oh that's a shame, I was hoping the waterproofing would stick because eventually Apple might put it in just for the sake of feature parity.

I've never lost a phone to water but it feels like something that could happen to me.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Rick posted:

Oh that's a shame, I was hoping the waterproofing would stick because eventually Apple might put it in just for the sake of feature parity.

I've never lost a phone to water but it feels like something that could happen to me.

Sony still manages to make water resistant phones that don't look cheap and clunky so I think a water resistant iphone could still be feasible. Although I don't think water resistance is the kind of feature that actually moves units, so there's not really a commercial incentive to add it.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

Sony still manages to make water resistant phones that don't look cheap and clunky so I think a water resistant iphone could still be feasible. Although I don't think water resistance is the kind of feature that actually moves units, so there's not really a commercial incentive to add it.

This, plus they're already selling a fuckoad of apple care extensions on the back of those two no-fault replacements. It probably makes more sense for them to skip the waterproofing to cut down on costs, upsell the poo poo out of applecare and emphasize how great a deal it is because it covers accidents, and then just eat the cost of the people who actually do drop their phones in the shitter.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Cyrano4747 posted:

This, plus they're already selling a fuckoad of apple care extensions on the back of those two no-fault replacements. It probably makes more sense for them to skip the waterproofing to cut down on costs, upsell the poo poo out of applecare and emphasize how great a deal it is because it covers accidents, and then just eat the cost of the people who actually do drop their phones in the shitter.

Do they eat the cost? Last I heard out of warranty free replacements got way more strict post-AC+.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

MrBond posted:

Do they eat the cost? Last I heard out of warranty free replacements got way more strict post-AC+.

I meant eat the cost of having to cover the inevitable odd warranty replacement under AC+. I just suspect they make more money off the AC scheme as a whole than they would bothering to waterproof the phones.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
People who drop their phones in the shitter still have to pay a deductible to get their phone replaced, even with AppleCare+.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
As a PSA, I forgot to enroll in AC+ in the first 60 days because I am a dummy. I called Apple and they said no dice. But there's an insurance company called Protect Your Bubble that can insure a phone of almost any age, up to 3 years old, for like $6 a month. It's a little more expensive than AC but the deductible is less, I think it's $50. I'm probably going to enroll in it soon, it has decent reviews as well.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Michael Scott posted:

As a PSA, I forgot to enroll in AC+ in the first 60 days because I am a dummy. I called Apple and they said no dice. But there's an insurance company called Protect Your Bubble that can insure a phone of almost any age, up to 3 years old, for like $6 a month. It's a little more expensive than AC but the deductible is less, I think it's $50. I'm probably going to enroll in it soon, it has decent reviews as well.

Your credit card company will usually offer some sort of phone insurance as well.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

noirstronaut posted:

Your credit card company will usually offer some sort of phone insurance as well.

Yeah, I used this recently to get a free OOW replacement for a defect in my 5S. It took about a month for the company to process the refund and I had to do some legwork to print out the right receipts and statements and poo poo. It also wouldn't cover accidental damage, but I've never had to replace a phone for that anyway.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

I just suspect they make more money off the AC scheme as a whole than they would bothering to waterproof the phones.

Yes that's how insurance works in general.

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao
The main benefit of Applecare+ is being able to get your phone replaced or fixed as you wait. Insurance through your carrier or credit card company or third parties often require you to go phoneless for a few days if not a week which is a dealbreaker for me.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

eriddy posted:

The main benefit of Applecare+ is being able to get your phone replaced or fixed as you wait. Insurance through your carrier or credit card company or third parties often require you to go phoneless for a few days if not a week which is a dealbreaker for me.

This probably depends on provider. I called beforehand and mine (MBNA's program, provided by Allianz) is a reimbursement program. I brought my phone in to the Apple Store, they confirmed the defect, brought me a new phone, I paid $300 on the CC, mailed some documents a week later, waited a few weeks and Allianz reimbursed it before the next billing period had rolled over.

Having the replacement cost of your phone set aside in savings or whatever should not be prohibitive for an adult, in my opinion, since having your phone broken kind of constitutes an emergency. It's like making sure that you have cash to cover your insurance deductibles.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

eriddy posted:

Pretty much seems that way. The exact opposite holds true here in Korea, which is why I didn't go with any Applecare. Official Apple stuff has to be sent off to Seoul, and will take around five days. It also costs as much as a replacement under the insurance. If I have insurance, just go to a phone service center, pay the price, and get the new phone right there.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
My 5 is having a lot of trouble with wifi lately, trouble connecting to networks, staying connected, and really slow speeds. Is there anything more I can do to try and fix it beyond wiping and setting it up as a new phone? Even doing that didn't make a difference.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
Have you reset network settings? We had the same trouble and that took care of it.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

My mom can't remember the password for her Apple id on her iphone. if i make her a new id on the phone, will it erase all the apps and local email accounts and stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

hiddenriverninja posted:

My mom can't remember the password for her Apple id on her iphone. if i make her a new id on the phone, will it erase all the apps and local email accounts and stuff?

You really should help her with the password recovery stuff instead.