Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

The Pony Incident posted:

Another newbie question, what's happening at 4:40 in this video with the recharging ammo? Is that something you get from a skill later? I'm asking for a friend who hates running out of ammo

The player is combining more ammo on the touchscreen. As a gunner it pays to bring ingredients to combine ammo/coatings during the hunt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening
All the bow tutorial videos say that the original Type 1 controls are better than the new Type 2 controls but they're wrong because with Type 2 it's easier to cancel out of a shot with a dodge. Thanx for listenin

Is there a way I'm missing to make ZL and ZR useful? It's kind of a drag that they only do the same poo poo as other buttons, same with start and select essentially being the same button. It's not like there's a shortage of things these buttons could be useful for!

skog
Aug 20, 2009
just got the new 3ds and MH4, ready to suck some monster dick

ID: Omarxfd

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Space Hamlet posted:

All the bow tutorial videos say that the original Type 1 controls are better than the new Type 2 controls but they're wrong because with Type 2 it's easier to cancel out of a shot with a dodge. Thanx for listenin

Is there a way I'm missing to make ZL and ZR useful? It's kind of a drag that they only do the same poo poo as other buttons, same with start and select essentially being the same button. It's not like there's a shortage of things these buttons could be useful for!

I have mine set to Chat and Target Cam, which are probably the most useful things to do with them. Wish I had more options though.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Pink Rathian/Azure Rathalos are a big part of why I started abusing Elemental Bows in 3U.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Toxxupation posted:

yo doctorwhat if you see this jump on irc so we can hunt mons

i'm sorry, I fell asleep. the winter makes me narcoleptic.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

dragon enthusiast posted:

I have mine set to Chat and Target Cam, which are probably the most useful things to do with them. Wish I had more options though.

It would be totally awesome if we could map ZR/ZL to multi button combos. I would love to map ZL to X+A and ZR to R+X for charge blade, for example.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

wait are neither of those mapped to x+a? because thats pretty much the only reason i wanted those extra buttons

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Awesome! posted:

wait are neither of those mapped to x+a? because thats pretty much the only reason i wanted those extra buttons

i think you can but it's actually kind of nice to have a big fat L and R button instead of having to reach for the small ones

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Thoom posted:

It would be totally awesome if we could map ZR/ZL to multi button combos. I would love to map ZL to X+A and ZR to R+X for charge blade, for example.

If I could just map it to Item Left and Item Right that'd be great, so I don't have to do the L+Y or L+X bullshit.

But for some reason Capcom gave us everything but that as an option :doh:

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

so what can you actually map to the zl and zr buttons? just single buttons?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Awesome! posted:

There are a few sets of options to choose from: same as L/R, left and right on the dpad, and chat plus target, I think.

If you're using a CPP then you should choose same as L/R because it's really hard to press the L button at all and it's a lot more comfortable to hold with your fingers resting on ZL/ZR, at least if you're using an XL.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Awesome! posted:

L/R, dpad left/dpad right, dpad up/dpad down, and chat/target IIRC.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

hosed up!!

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

all i wanted was x+a on one button :mad:

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

The Frenzied Caravan Brachydios is not fun.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Taking Felyne Carver (Hi) to a Chameleos fight is a good idea because between his body and his tail you'll be able to carve 7 pieces of meldspar ore instead of the usual 5.

Night Blade posted:

So Pink Rathian is a stupid broken piece of poo poo. When is it actually safe to go in on this guy? Cant go near him as he lands, he has a short range flame attack that deals over half health + burning, attacking him from the sides means you get trampled, every attempt to damage this rear end in a top hat as me at least eating ONE hit as a mace. No fight up until this has given me this much trouble.

Wait til you get to G rank frenzied Pink Rathian, she is truly something to behold.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

The Moon Monster posted:

Taking Felyne Carver (Hi) to a Chameleos fight is a good idea because between his body and his tail you'll be able to carve 7 pieces of meldspar ore instead of the usual 5.

What part counts as his tail? The one time I killed him I was whacking that gigantic thing coming out of this butt for most of the fight and it never came off. Is it only the little curly part at the end that you can cut?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I really like the harder Rathian/Rathalos fights but maybe it's just because I have a giant shield to block the tail. I fought Gold Rathian for the first time today and it was super fun

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Crowbear posted:

What part counts as his tail? The one time I killed him I was whacking that gigantic thing coming out of this butt for most of the fight and it never came off. Is it only the little curly part at the end that you can cut?

I'm honestly not sure what counts as a hit for tail cutting damage. The only thing that comes off is the little curly part at the end. I assumed the whole thing counted as his tail and just took a crazy amount of damage to break.

e: You can't break Teostra/Kushala/Chameleos horns and tails until they're at fairly low health, by the way. I believe you can build up damage on them then break them in one hit when you reach the threshold, though.

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Mar 3, 2015

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Pink Rathian down first try, thank christ cause I was on my last cart too.

Grab a glaive and don't stop jumping is my advice.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

The thing to remember with Rathian, Kawaii Pinku Rathian-chan or otherwise, is that the tail swipe moves come out almost guaranteed after any other move. Especially if you've hit Rathian during that time. So when she's charging or blowing fireballs, get your hits in and then roll out or block or what have you immediately afterwards and you're on the road to never getting the old spicy poison tail.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Horn it is, time for Waugh.

What am I getting into

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Awesome! posted:

all i wanted was x+a on one button :mad:

I use the X&A shield attack on charge blade all the loving time. my main combo is like X > X+A > A charge > load phials > X+A > X+A > Revert

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Horn it is, time for Waugh.

What am I getting into

You're getting into looking fabulous, beating monsters senseless, and playing hot jams all at the same time. Horn is a lot of fun.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

muike posted:

I use the X&A shield attack on charge blade all the loving time. my main combo is like X > X+A > A charge > load phials > X+A > X+A > Revert

um...ok? i have no idea what you are trying to tell me here

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
that it would also own for me and i am in agreement and sick of pressing those two buttons at once

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Awesome! posted:

um...ok? i have no idea what you are trying to tell me here
Pretty sure they're agreeing with you by saying that they use X+A very often and therefore they too would like it on a single button.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

yea charge blade is mostly what i use x+a a lot on although i am slowly losing track of the number of times i have tried to draw into a bug shot and only got the x attack

4u actually seems slightly better with registering x+a together than 3u did though but i might just be imagining that

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Awesome! posted:

yea charge blade is mostly what i use x+a a lot on although i am slowly losing track of the number of times i have tried to draw into a bug shot and only got the x attack

4u actually seems slightly better with registering x+a together than 3u did though but i might just be imagining that

The number of times I've accidentally gathered something in the middle of a fight because of the X+A bug draw... :emo:

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Ugh, every time I think the challenge in this game is great but fair, it gets cheap as gently caress. I'm on the Azure Rathalos caravan quest, where a Seregios gets thrown into the mix. I play it ultra-defensive, eat up about 40 minutes of the clock, and I've just followed a limping Azure Rathalos into another zone, where there's Seregios waiting for us... and they take turns divebombing me to death. I THOUGHT THEY WERE loving FIGHTING EACH OTHER WHAT HAPPENED TO THAT

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!
Pink Rathian is made a lot easier when you learn to always roll under it when you feel it's about to do fire breath. For ewhen it's enraged and airborn, get Evade Dist. Up or Speed Sheath because it is a seriously bullshit fight otherwise.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Office Thug posted:

Pink Rathian is made a lot easier when you learn to always roll under it when you feel it's about to do fire breath. For ewhen it's enraged and airborn, get Evade Dist. Up or Speed Sheath because it is a seriously bullshit fight otherwise.

I managed to beat him by using my GrimmKatze Switch Axe and abusing it's dodge step. A good rule of thumb for the fight is that when he goes airborne you just stay the hell away from him and use the switch axe's upslash from a distance.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

enojy posted:

Ugh, every time I think the challenge in this game is great but fair, it gets cheap as gently caress. I'm on the Azure Rathalos caravan quest, where a Seregios gets thrown into the mix. I play it ultra-defensive, eat up about 40 minutes of the clock, and I've just followed a limping Azure Rathalos into another zone, where there's Seregios waiting for us... and they take turns divebombing me to death. I THOUGHT THEY WERE loving FIGHTING EACH OTHER WHAT HAPPENED TO THAT

Throw poo poo at it

Metallia
Sep 17, 2014

i love that seregios cutscene because its just so basic bullshit monster_hunter.txt at this point

THIS MONSTER IS SO BADASS IT FIGHTS OTHER MONSTERS*!!!! WHOA!!! ARE YOU IMPRESSED

* it doesn't actually do that

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I still am not over the intro cutscene for the dumb bird thing that can flashbang you because the very first thing it did was knock itself out cold, and then it tries to be all menacing and CUHRAYZEE when it wakes up :allears:

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

mulodyne posted:

i love that seregios cutscene because its just so basic bullshit monster_hunter.txt at this point

THIS MONSTER IS SO BADASS IT FIGHTS OTHER MONSTERS*!!!! WHOA!!! ARE YOU IMPRESSED

* it doesn't actually do that

Yeah, that's one thing I've never been satisfied with. All these "super territorial" monsters, all the ones that are predator and prey, all those that are rivals... and they'll all work together in order to stomp on you, the tiny hunter mans.

edit: also if you want to rob the seregios in that cutscene of its wannabe badassitude even further, if you pay attention to what the commander says after this quest, the seregios didn't even manage to kill the rathian. The super aggressive monster-fighting monster didn't manage to kill a rathian you'd already almost beat to death.

Colapops fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Mar 3, 2015

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:

CJacobs posted:

I still am not over the intro cutscene for the dumb bird thing that can flashbang you because the very first thing it did was knock itself out cold, and then it tries to be all menacing and CUHRAYZEE when it wakes up :allears:

He steals your flashbombs to feed his dash extract habit.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Monsters don't infight, but they CAN hurt each other, if they happen to get in the way of each other's attacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Funkmaster General posted:

Monsters don't infight, but they CAN hurt each other, if they happen to get in the way of each other's attacks.

Really? I was watching a stream before work and there was a Deviljho that was really giving a Kut-Ku the business...

• Locked thread