Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

KittyEmpress posted:

The Trooper is Tom Clancy in Space. Fight terrorists! Fight Imperials! Fight Imperial Terrorists! Blow up bombs! Steal technology! Alert the republic to impending doomsday plans! If you want to play Mass Effect mixed with Tom Clancy, this is the story for you. It shares a lot of beats with the Knight, but in my opinion is a lot better. You're still being a big drat hero stopping doomsday plans and saving the republic on a daily basis, but it's at least not because you're the fabled messiah.

The Trooper story could have been awesome: prologue is Jek beating you to the bomb and running off with it, spend Chapter 1 helping Havoc track down Jek only to have Havoc betray you at the Chapter 1 climax, Chapter 2 is gathering allies, and Chapter 3 is taking apart the traitors with a final showdown with Jek and Harron instead of some fuddy duddy old Imperial General who up to that point has had zero interactions with your character. Compare General Rakton to the satisfaction of taking down the Emperor, Darth Thanaton, Darth Baras, or a galaxy-wide secret society. Getting betrayed at the end of the prologue by characters with whom you've basically built no relationship with is just meh. As it is now Trooper has the absolute flattest Chapter 3 of any story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

DrunkenGarbageCan posted:

As it is now Trooper has the absolute flattest Chapter 3 of any story.

I like the Trooper's chapter 3 up until the final boss, which I agree is really weak. Meanwhile I have the complete opposite view of Chapter 3 smuggler - a terrible lead up, lovely plot twist to justify the next few planets, and then an amazing end to a story, that pretty much makes up for it.

SpiDeR
Apr 30, 2002

Crystalline is fine too

KittyEmpress posted:

The Smuggler is the cowboy experience.

The Trooper is Tom Clancy in Space.
I agree both these and the OP post points... but the trooper story is loving awful in my opinion. 1st conversation wheel will always have a "Yes sir/ma'am" and the 2nd conversation wheel will always have a "But what about the civilians/other guys?" and 3rd will always have some stupid "No problem for Havoc Squad!" bullshit response. And the trooper has an absolute turd of a first companion. Hate that guy.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
But general consensus seems to love Liberty Prime Droid you get fairly soon.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I really enjoyed the Knight story, sue me. Space hero warrior is what I wanted to play. I liked the Scourge element, and the final boss fight felt like a final fight.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Medullah posted:

I really enjoyed the Knight story, sue me. Space hero warrior is what I wanted to play. I liked the Scourge element, and the final boss fight felt like a final fight.

Yeah that's what I liked about it. It's the most Star Warsy story of them that I've played, was actually kind of surprised by the final quests because I wasn't expecting to actually take on you know who.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

Medullah posted:

I didn't hate it, and the end of chapter 2 blew my mind. But I liked the Consular story much better.

FireSolvent
Feb 8, 2015
So I haven't Unsubbed in a while.

BUT the guild I was in died on it's god damned arse.
It's dead Jim, and I need people to hang with. So If I let my sub lapse and then use the link will I get a character Transfer to the GOon server along with all my god drat goodies. Or is all that effort and poo poo worthless at this stage and I should just cling to my loot in the abandoned tomb that I have devoid of friends

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
What?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FireSolvent posted:

It's dead Jim, and I need people to hang with. So If I let my sub lapse and then use the link will I get a character Transfer to the GOon server along with all my god drat goodies. Or is all that effort and poo poo worthless at this stage and I should just cling to my loot in the abandoned tomb that I have devoid of friends

You don't need to unsub, you get the free transfer for clicking even if you are a subscriber.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

GuyUpNorth posted:

But general consensus seems to love Liberty Prime Droid you get fairly soon.

M1-4X makes the trooper storyline.

Also, I wish there were more, "Yes, sir," "No, sir," "No opinion, sir," responses. Much of his superior's plotting and scheming is pretty dumb and I hate having to give responses where I'm going along on in earnest. What if I want a fascist with a heart of gold whose existential grand strategy is JUST FOLLOWING ORDERS ???

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

FireSolvent posted:

Basically what Medullah said but he has like a million people referred so use mine.

http://www.swtor.com/r/d9rknB

(Medullah I'm totally about to use yours because I haven't used one yet.)

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Double post but if we're already subbed and use a referral does it just bump our billing date back a week?

FireSolvent
Feb 8, 2015

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Basically what Medullah said but he has like a million people referred so use mine.

Well poo poo. Used it already before you posted your message.

But tha't's okay I have to start over again if I want to come over and dick around on the goon serv anyway.

Because no transfers between EU and US servers. Because.. I don't know...

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

FireSolvent posted:

Well poo poo. Used it already before you posted your message.

But tha't's okay I have to start over again if I want to come over and dick around on the goon serv anyway.

Because no transfers between EU and US servers. Because.. I don't know...

You use the same account in both regions, so you don't get to click another link.

And no transfers because gently caress you customers.

dogboy
Jul 21, 2009

hurr
Grimey Drawer
The Trooper robot companion is like the robot version of him:

( Stolen from http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3463256 )

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I tried this game a year or two ago, quit pretty early on. Tried again on the weekend and I'm hooked. Maybe it's because I'm a jedi this time, turns out I friggin love lightsabers.

FireSolvent
Feb 8, 2015

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Hey. Trying to get an Invite into the guild Running an Agent going to Sniper Character name: Inaeri.

Just starting from scratch basically aside from the premium currency global unlocks. But hoping the guild support can help make it less painful.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Is the OP being sarcastic about Jedi Knights not picking an advanced class being a good thing?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

triplexpac posted:

Is the OP being sarcastic about Jedi Knights not picking an advanced class being a good thing?

Yes.

I think it comes from an old story about a guy who leveled an unspec'd sith warrior to level 50 through PVP, generating much pubbie tears.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.

Sixto Lezcano posted:

What's your name?
All my character names, and my legacy name, are Arabic and I've spoken some Arabic in flashpoints but I've never gotten any hate from it. Maybe I need to try it in warzones...

Baghib bin Harad Al-Ifrit. Pyrotech Powertech.

Warzones are the best for this.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Ainsley McTree posted:

Yes.

I think it comes from an old story about a guy who leveled an unspec'd sith warrior to level 50 through PVP, generating much pubbie tears.

Does someone have the screenshot handy of everyone commenting on it like "omg level 50 pick an AC!!"? It makes me grin ear to ear every time.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe
I have a level 60 Agent, no advanced class.

Vildiil
Dec 16, 2003
Stuff
My guild on JC is hosting a dueling tournament at some point in the near future... here is the post regarding it if any of you are interested. http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=8061452#post8061452

Emy
Apr 21, 2009
I regret creating an account 30 seconds before looking at this thread. The referral links don't seem to work for me, presumably because I don't meet the criteria for a new or returning player, even though I haven't downloaded the game yet.

I guess I could just create a second account because the first has literally nothing on it. That's a bit messy, though.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Emy posted:

I regret creating an account 30 seconds before looking at this thread. The referral links don't seem to work for me, presumably because I don't meet the criteria for a new or returning player, even though I haven't downloaded the game yet.

I guess I could just create a second account because the first has literally nothing on it. That's a bit messy, though.

Make sure you have email notifications enabled if you're a new or F2P player clicking on a referral link.

Emy
Apr 21, 2009

Medullah posted:

Make sure you have email notifications enabled if you're a new or F2P player clicking on a referral link.

Hm, I just did that, and I'm still getting "This account is currently not eligible for the Friends of SWTOR Referral Program, Please visit the Referral page at https://www.swtor.com/info/friends for eligibility requirements.".

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
I just got an email saying I can get 7 days free sub time. Haven't played since around a month after it went F2P.
Have things changed enough for me to care? Getting bored with D3 and MW:O.
Is prophecy of the five still dead?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

veedubfreak posted:

I just got an email saying I can get 7 days free sub time. Haven't played since around a month after it went F2P.
Have things changed enough for me to care? Getting bored with D3 and MW:O.
Is prophecy of the five still dead?

Yes, the game is significantly better than it was back then. POT5 is goonless.

Read through the OP and the 2nd post to get an idea of what the game is like.

Also,

https://www.reddit.com/r/swtor/wiki/major_changes

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Medullah posted:

Yes, the game is significantly better than it was back then. POT5 is goonless.

Read through the OP and the 2nd post to get an idea of what the game is like.

Also,

https://www.reddit.com/r/swtor/wiki/major_changes

Figured as much.
I have 1 of everything on Imperial side, what's the go to these days. Assassin or Warrior?

Neat, an up to date and actually helpful OP. What is the cost on transferring characters these days? Cause if the game is fun now I'm sure I'll end up transferring my level 50 alts vs remaking them.

veedubfreak fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Mar 3, 2015

CesiumCanoe
Oct 9, 2012

Oh ya
Found a gem in the preliminary 3.1.1 patch notes:

quote:

Customizing a character's Body Type while riding a mount no longer turns the player into the mount.

Clearly this requires some research...

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

What is your body type?

☐ Average ☐ Skinny ☐ Curvy ☑ Ikas IK-7 Speeder

Allatum
Feb 20, 2008

Pillbug

CesiumCanoe posted:

Found a gem in the preliminary 3.1.1 patch notes:

Clearly this requires some research...

It cost me 160 cartel coins total but I turned myself into a Varactyl for a brief glorious moment.

Ridinspinnaz
Jan 29, 2009

veedubfreak posted:

Figured as much.
I have 1 of everything on Imperial side, what's the go to these days. Assassin or Warrior?

Neat, an up to date and actually helpful OP. What is the cost on transferring characters these days? Cause if the game is fun now I'm sure I'll end up transferring my level 50 alts vs remaking them.

I think it's about 1800 coins, however if you use a referral link you get one free character transfer and help a goon out with getting a cool referral bonus (of which you can find my & other goons codes earlier in the page). Also assassins & warriors are pretty strong (juggernaut is good anyway, marauder is in a pretty bad place). POT5 is absolutely dead, I started there with a couple of friends last month and it was to the point of being unable to get group quests done while levelling during primetime. The goon server has a decent population and a few goons around, while harbringer is the most populated and from what I heard the most balanced repub/imp population wise.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

Rosalind posted:

What is your body type?

☐ Average ☐ Skinny ☐ Curvy ☑ Tundra Tauntaun

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
My fursona is a Dewback.

Sjonkel
Jan 31, 2012
Looking at http://www.swtor.com/free/features , and it seems like some of the features are purchasable with cartel coins. Does this mean you can buy it on the GTN for in-game credits as well? Also, can you buy additional GTN slots, increase the credit cap, or lift the restrictions on mail the same way?

FireSolvent
Feb 8, 2015

Sjonkel posted:

Looking at http://www.swtor.com/free/features , and it seems like some of the features are purchasable with cartel coins. Does this mean you can buy it on the GTN for in-game credits as well? Also, can you buy additional GTN slots, increase the credit cap, or lift the restrictions on mail the same way?

Yes, ISH.

Mostly because some morons seem to put thinks up at prices above the F2P player credit cap. Expecting the people who want to it to be able to buy it...

But yes most thigns on the cartel market can be bought and sold on the GTN.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Ridinspinnaz posted:

I think it's about 1800 coins, however if you use a referral link you get one free character transfer and help a goon out with getting a cool referral bonus (of which you can find my & other goons codes earlier in the page). Also assassins & warriors are pretty strong (juggernaut is good anyway, marauder is in a pretty bad place). POT5 is absolutely dead, I started there with a couple of friends last month and it was to the point of being unable to get group quests done while levelling during primetime. The goon server has a decent population and a few goons around, while harbringer is the most populated and from what I heard the most balanced repub/imp population wise.

Cool, I'll check a referral this weekend. One thing I noticed last time I logged in, I still get my 100 coins a month for having a key even while not subscribed :) So I have like 2+ years of cartel coins built up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

Sjonkel posted:

You can buy a lot of unlocks on the GTN but you definitely can't change the credit cap, and I'm reasonably sure you can't change the mail and trade restrictions.

• Locked thread