Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.

SynthOrange posted:

A national tragedy:

I will not be surprised when it turns out that Clive accidentally burnt Jeff down while riding him naked with sparklers in his anus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

SynthOrange posted:

A national tragedy:

:australia:

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
It was a women on Qanda.

Cambell Newman got his revenge on the Trex.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Government, Labor block calls for investigation into Adani coal development

http://www.theage.com.au/business/m...source=facebook

quote:

The federal government and Labor have used their numbers to block an inquiry into which companies or individuals control Australia's largest coal development.
Greens senator Larissa Waters accused the opposition on Monday of being too close to the mining industry after it failed to support an urgent investigation into the ownership structure of Indian company Adani's Carmichael coal project in Queensland.
The Greens had called for an inquiry into the Indian mining giant's financial affairs after a Fairfax Media investigation raised questions about the ultimate ownership of the Abbot Point development, which has been the subject of fierce opposition from environment lobbies because of its proximity to the Great Barrier Reef.

Crossbench senators Jacqui Lambie, Ricky Muir, Nick Xenophon and the Palmer United Party voted in favour of the Greens' calls to establish which entities control the development and whether Adani's environmental track record in India had been properly considered by Environment Minister Greg Hunt.
Monday was the second attempt by the Greens to have the matter investigated.

Senator Waters said on Monday she had changed the wording of the motion to accommodate concerns raised by Labor, only to have the opposition vote against the proposal anyway.
"Why is it so hard for the major parties to support an urgent investigation into which entity owns these massive projects, which are both environmental and climate disasters?" Senator Waters said on Monday.
"It's incredibly frustrating that Labor has refused to support this motion the second time round, after we changed the wording to accommodate to their stated concerns.
"It seems the opposition is just making up excuses about technicalities and the real reason they won't support our motion is because the big mining companies have a hold over Labor, just like they do the government."

Adani has repeatedly stressed that the ownership of its developments has not changed and that the ownership of its lease at Abbot Point is "consistent with its stated position advised to every relevant regulatory authority in Queensland, Australia, and India".
A Fairfax Media investigation found company documents suggest billionaire Gautam Adani does not ultimately control many of the companies associated with his company's Australian coal developments. Instead his eldest brother, Vinod Shantilal Adani, holds pivotal positions.
Vinod has been named in an Indian criminal investigation into the alleged siphoning of $1 billion from Indian shareholders in three Adani companies into offshore accounts.
A web of companies that appear to be linked to Adani's coal developments in Australia extends from the low tax regime of Singapore to the tax haven of the Cayman Islands.
Complicating matters is conflicting paperwork, with Indian documents suggesting Adani Enterprises divested its stake in Abbot Point port for $235 million in 2013 to a private Singapore entity for which Vinod is the sole director.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Labor. :rolleye:

Comstar posted:

Cambell Newman got his revenge on the Trex.

Gonna lol when this turns out to be what happened.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Halo14 posted:

Government, Labor block calls for investigation into Adani coal development

http://www.theage.com.au/business/m...source=facebook

Dodgy as gently caress.

Here's hoping that Queensland Labor has the guts to look into this shitstain of a company.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Dinosaur revealed to be robot in disguise.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Mithranderp posted:

Dodgy as gently caress.

Here's hoping that Queensland Labor has the guts to look into this shitstain of a company.

They've at least already decided not to give them a billion dollars for literally no reason.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Goodnight sweet prince

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
Status on Cleivs titanic II? :ohdear:

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

SynthOrange posted:

Dinosaur revealed to be robot in disguise.

RIP Jeff.

I'll pour out some beer at TONIGHT'S ADELAIDE GOON MEET.

trunkh
Jan 31, 2011

Mad Katter posted:

RIP Jeff.

Unfortunately I can't make it. Hope everyone has a good time.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

V for Vegas posted:

That site has been writing Australian property bubble stories for 5 years. They'll be right eventually!

No one in history has ever thought that their over-inflated market is the exception before!

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
I think the housing bubble popping and a subsequent recession would actually be a good thing for me personally so for purely selfish reasons I'm all for it.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

hiddenmovement posted:

I think the housing bubble popping and a subsequent recession would actually be a good thing for me personally so for purely selfish reasons I'm all for it.

You mean so already wealthy people can buy up more property at deflated prices while everyone else struggles with job security?

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Yeah, the only people who would benefit from a recession are people with the capital to buy up a bunch of property at low prices and wait for the next bubble.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

Ragingsheep posted:

You mean so already wealthy people can buy up more property at deflated prices while everyone else struggles with job security?

I expect it would mean a drop in the value of the dollar sending all that foreign currency I've got surging without impacting my day to day income.

I mean for all of you regular job havers it would suck but I did say it was utterly selfish.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Is it not typical for young people to be hoping for a bubble burst so that we can actually afford our own homes one day like our parents did? I know I am. How else are going to end the current unjust system, i.e. the bubble, if not by it bursting?

I know it would have all kinds of horrible flow-on effects but I don't want to rent my entire life. And sure the massively wealthy would also benefit by hoovering up properties, but they benefit from the current system, and they will always benefit under any economic cirumstances, by dint of being massively wealthy, so, um?

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Mad Katter posted:

RIP Jeff.

I have to work - have a beer for me and Jeff :australia:

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

If the bubble bursts people like me who have a mortgage on their one and only home will see their interest rates skyrocket and that's going to suck :smith:

Plus our houses will be worth less then what we're paying for them. The bubble bursting will be good for those looking to get into the market, and as you've said the wealthy can absorb the shock, it's those in the middle who'll cop it. You'll see a lot of people unable to pay back their home loans.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
So far in it's short history the NTATA* government has lost two ministers:

Arthur Sinodinos - Assistant Treasurer.
David Johnston - Defence.

One for findings of corruption that are only being stalled from going further by a claim of blatant incompetence. The other for what amounted to political suicide by incompetence. Muppet Ministry blah blah blah. Unfortunately this doesn't gel well with their previous dialogue about why they have so few women in cabinet. You might remember the reason given was there was such a huge number of talented people. :laugh: Now I'm not having a go at Sussan Ley here but it was more a case of so little talent they had to try and fill spots with who ever they thought looked most believable and being staunch patriarchs to a man it was inevitably a man.

You can't defend Sinodinos on the basis of a surfeit of talent, well not with out reopening the pesky corruption question to further scrutiny. I hear people who should know tell me Johnston was an actual defenc-phile and had a broad knowledge of the portfolio that was quite unprecedented in a minister. That unfortunately doesn't make him a competent minister. His gaff was so spectacular that even the crown prince of gaff had to throw him under the bus. If they go forward with a spill it will be fascinating to see who gets pushed in and out of the ministry but I assure you there won't be a surfeit of talent, not even if they only elevated women.

I previously mentioned Josh Frydenberg and his 'trajectory' for surplus. I really wish that our media pack would listen for and identify the upcoming buzz words and stomp them into the ground as a matter of course. He was on the radio again talking about the new trajectory to surplus and it is such a load of twaddle that he needs to be picked up on it every time. The official dumping of the Medicare co-payment and 46 billion in previous budget measures remaining unpassed are just towering stacks of embarrassment waiting to be dropped on this muppet by an alert and informed journalist. Has there ever been a less successful government?

I really don't know what the Tele thinks it is playing at here.

Lets assume they have fingered the right bloke. If I was his defence council I'd have this front page out of my briefcase and in front of the judge before you can even think 'mistrial'. Even worse if it turns out the po po stitch him up Lindi Chamberlain style on the basis of hostile media reporting. Australian's seem to have the shallowest understanding of due process and judicial fairness of anywhere in the universe. Could this be the straw that forces the press council's hand :laugh:

-/-

Property bubble anecdote. It has already burst here on the Mid North Coast. The state valuations office has written millions of dollars off local commercial real estate and prices in both residential and commercial are lower than they were twenty years ago. There was a sustained rise due to Sydney-siders buying up 'cheap' properties but it ran out of steam about ten years ago. Maybe the state government should consider a massive tax on Sydney properties to slow sales volumes. That's what conventional economics would suggest as a break on run away growth. Dropping federal interest rates may actually crash the whole economy. The RBA's statement this time will be very sobering reading.

* Noted Torture Apologist Tony Abbott

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Why did you get a mortgage?

BloatedCorpse
May 11, 2005
Downstairs

freebooter posted:

Is it not typical for young people to be hoping for a bubble burst so that we can actually afford our own homes one day like our parents did? I know I am. How else are going to end the current unjust system, i.e. the bubble, if not by it bursting?

Slow deflation of the bubble is probably more desirable.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

Yeah, there will be defaults across the board if the bubble pops. People are failing to pay their utility bills in record numbers as it is. I'm really not enamoured with the idea of owning property though, I think I would prefer a more liquid form of investment like stocks, and rental prices at the moment are very competitive with rent.

My Nepalese housemate has to go home today due to a serious illness within the family. He's having a very hard time of it right now. So naturally his shithead employer is refusing to pay him a good chunk of last weeks salary because he 'failed to give adequete notice of at least 3 weeks'.

Good ppl us Aussies.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Welsper posted:

Why did you get a mortgage?

Home loan, sorry.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

freebooter posted:

I know it would have all kinds of horrible flow-on effects but I don't want to rent my entire life. And sure the massively wealthy would also benefit by hoovering up properties, but they benefit from the current system, and they will always benefit under any economic cirumstances, by dint of being massively wealthy, so, um?

How are you going to afford a house during a recession when unemployment rises and young people are the first to get cut?

The best way to increase affordability of housing would be a combination of gradually removing investment incentives for second hand property such as negative gearing, the discount on capital gains, etc while at the same time increasing the supply of housing, especially to first home buyers (somehow).

MysticalMachineGun posted:

If the bubble bursts people like me who have a mortgage on their one and only home will see their interest rates skyrocket and that's going to suck :smith:

Plus our houses will be worth less then what we're paying for them. The bubble bursting will be good for those looking to get into the market, and as you've said the wealthy can absorb the shock, it's those in the middle who'll cop it. You'll see a lot of people unable to pay back their home loans.

Rates won't increase. They'll decrease and if you're lucky enough to keep your income stable, then you'd do quite well. Also the value of your property falling has little impact on you if you don't plan/need to sell during the downturn.

Ragingsheep fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Mar 3, 2015

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.
I want to watch the bubble burst and the Australian economy implode into a gaping black hole just because some men want to watch the world burn

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Cartoon posted:

Lets assume they have fingered the right bloke. If I was his defence council I'd have this front page out of my briefcase and in front of the judge before you can even think 'mistrial'. Even worse if it turns out the po po stitch him up Lindi Chamberlain style on the basis of hostile media reporting. Australian's seem to have the shallowest understanding of due process and judicial fairness of anywhere in the universe. Could this be the straw that forces the press council's hand :laugh:

That van actually says Peddo's?

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

The government could build a bunch of social housing that approved (lower incomes, don't own any other property) people could occupy and choose to buy at very favourable rates. Of course if they did this I'm sure we'd end with some sort of 1960s tower block nightmare, but it's a possibility.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

Zenithe posted:

That's probably the entire reason he's a suspect

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

hiddenmovement posted:

Yeah, there will be defaults across the board if the bubble pops. People are failing to pay their utility bills in record numbers as it is. I'm really not enamoured with the idea of owning property though, I think I would prefer a more liquid form of investment like stocks, and rental prices at the moment are very competitive with rent.

I want to buy a home, not an investment. Renting isn't as bad as older Australians seem to think it is, but I hate having to prove myself as worthy to real estate agents. (In fact I've never managed to do so; I've always moved into pre-existing sharehouses.) I know it's fashionable to scoff at the Great Australian Dream but I honestly think you'd be nuts to want to rent your entire life. It's all well and good when you're young and it's not such a big deal if your landlord decides not to renew your lease, but I can't imagine that's much fun if you have kids, or are elderly.

I feel bad for the people that bought into the "buy low on the ladder and move up" idea, who will be stuck living in some lovely two bedroom unit for decades to come and/or lose hundreds of thousands of dollars, but, well, shouldn't have bought during a bubble.

And even if the bubble pops, I will still never buy a house unless I'd be comfortable settling down there for decades. You never know what might happen.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Ragingsheep posted:

Rates won't increase. They'll decrease and if you're lucky enough to keep your income stable, then you'd do quite well. Also the value of your property falling has little impact on you if you don't plan/need to sell during the downturn.

Rates can't decrease/stay low forever. Forgive my economic ignorance, but if house prices are down and people are taking out smaller loans, wouldn't banks want higher interest rates to keep their profits coming in?

We're not really thinking of moving or selling any time soon (haven't even been in this house for one year) but it'd suck if we needed to get a bigger place or had to move for any other reason and the new place is out of our range due to falling house prices meaning our home is not worth what we're currently paying off.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Even if the bubble pops, we're never actually going to go back to the days of our parents and grandparents where a house cost maybe 4x your annual salary, are we? Because I feel like that was a situation of low population and small cities, which is simply over unless you're buying in Bunbury or Bathurst. Like, I know the market is officially "over-valued," but what does that mean it should "properly" be?

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

freebooter posted:

I want to buy a home, not an investment. Renting isn't as bad as older Australians seem to think it is, but I hate having to prove myself as worthy to real estate agents. (In fact I've never managed to do so; I've always moved into pre-existing sharehouses.) I know it's fashionable to scoff at the Great Australian Dream but I honestly think you'd be nuts to want to rent your entire life. It's all well and good when you're young and it's not such a big deal if your landlord decides not to renew your lease, but I can't imagine that's much fun if you have kids, or are elderly.

The possibility that your landlord kicks you out is a pain, I'll give you that, but it cuts both ways. If you own a home and want to move, you've got to call the estate agent, pay them a gently caress load, have a photographer around arrange viewings wait with baited breath throughout an auction etc etc. It's a gigantic gently caress off pain in the arse. If you want to move when renting, you wait for the lease to expire and you're free to go (and deal with all the bullshit that comes with househunting but you do that in both scenarious anyway).

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

If you guys like I can do a housing bubble effort post tonight about it all.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Les Affaires posted:

Never not effort post.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Les Affaires posted:

I'd love to see it.

BloatedCorpse
May 11, 2005
Downstairs

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Rates can't decrease/stay low forever. Forgive my economic ignorance, but if house prices are down and people are taking out smaller loans, wouldn't banks want higher interest rates to keep their profits coming in?

The national interest rate is set by the reserve bank which loans money to the other banks. They then loan out that money at whatever rate they want, which tends to hug the national rate pretty closely because if they had their rates too high then a competitor would undercut them and people would move their loans over to the competitor. Of course with 4 big banks controlling most of the loans they have a tendency to agree to sometimes not lower their rates together when the reserve bank does, but you won't see them suddenly increasing their rates by a large amount if the reserve bank keeps their rates down.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Alright, I'll write one up. It'll be about 11pm EST tonight so bear that in mind. If somebody wants to do one sooner then by all means.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Zenithe posted:

Shock! Horror! It's a bad Tele Photoshop. The guy is called Spedding hence "Speddo's". It was fruit too low for team Tele to resist.

• Locked thread