Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

GrAviTy84 posted:

cold fry owns

Confirming this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.
crack pie question: the official momofuku recipe stresses that you absolutely shouldn't use anything other than a stand mixer for the filling:

milk bar cookbook posted:

you must use a stand mixer with a paddle attachment to make this filling. it only takes a minute, but it makes all the difference in the homogenization and smooth, silky final product. i repeat: a hand whisk and a bowl or a granny hand mixer will not produce the same results. also, keep the mixer on low speed through the entire mixing process. if you try to mix the filling on higher speed, you will incorporate too
much air and your pie will not be dense and gooey-the essence of crack pieŽ.

if you've made it before, how much of this is total bullshit? i have a balloon whisk, a danish whisk, and a standard hand mixer, so which of those is my best option to get the desired result, or should I just a spatula or something

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Might want to mention what's in there. That would help folk tell you that you should follow a recipe versus wing it.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004

you can google it because it's on their website and the first hit but sure

300 g (1 1/2 cups) granulated sugar
180 g (3/4 cup tightly packed) light brown sugar
20 g (1/4 cup) milk powder
24 g (1/4 cup) corn powder
6 g (1 1/2 tsp) kosher salt
225 g (16 tbs) butter, melted
160 g (3/4 cup) heavy cream
2 g (1/2 tsp) vanilla extract
8 egg yolks**

1. combine the sugar, brown sugar, milk powder, corn powder, and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment and mix on low speed until evenly blended.

2. add the melted butter and paddle for 2 to 3 minutes until all the dry ingredients are moist.

3. add the heavy cream and vanilla and continue mixing on low for 2 to 3 minutes until any white streaks from the cream have completely disap­peared into the mixture. scrape down the sides of the bowl with a spatula.

4. add the egg yolks, paddling them into the mixture just to combine; be careful not to aerate the mixture, but be certain the mixture is glossy and homogenous. mix on low speed until it is.

5. use the filling right away, or store it in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 1 week.

**note: it will be the death of your wildly dense pie filling if there is any bit of egg white in the mixture. i believe the easiest, and best, way to separate an egg is to do so in your hands. you may also use the two half-shells to separate the eggs, but the cracked shells can tear the yolk open, and you may not totally separate all the white. if you do this by hand, you can feel when you get every last bit of white away from the yolk. remember to wash your hands under warm soapy water for 30 seconds or more before and after you handle raw eggs! save your egg whites for peanut butter nougat or pistachio cake, or cook them up for your doggies, for a shinier coat.

now explain to me why a paddle attachment is absolutely crucial and cannot be substituted with any of a dozen+ alternatives without catastrophic failure

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

wheez the roux posted:

crack pie question: the official momofuku recipe stresses that you absolutely shouldn't use anything other than a stand mixer for the filling:

if you've made it before, how much of this is total bullshit? i have a balloon whisk, a danish whisk, and a standard hand mixer, so which of those is my best option to get the desired result, or should I just a spatula or something

It really, really makes a difference over a manual hand mixer. If you have a sturdy power hand mixer it should be fine. I made em with my power hand mixer and they turned out great.

Edit: with an actual low speed setting. The thing you want is a strong motion to really incorporate everything, but not fast enough or jerky enough to get a lot of air in the batter.

Casu Marzu fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Mar 3, 2015

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004

i figured it would be fine, the line about how a hand mixer will ruin it and only stand mixers nothing else!! seemed like :jerkbag: to me

and yeah my handmixer has an actual low setting that's pretty drat slow

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

wheez the roux posted:

i figured it would be fine, the line about how a hand mixer will ruin it and only stand mixers nothing else!! seemed like :jerkbag: to me

yeah, its mostly that electric hand mixers have three settings: fast, super fast, and grind the gears apart fast

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004

i feel like even the danish whisk would do an equivalent job as a stand mixer w/paddle. i'm making two so i'll try both

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
So, crosspost from the general questions thread. I didn't see it in the general thread, but are there rules to Cook or Die? I made tofu for the first time with stir fried vegetables and a peanut garlic sauce. I took very basic photos, but I thought posting a tofu Cook or Die might be a fun one-off thread for recipes. I've just started cooking with tofu, and I just didn't know if "tofu" was too generic for a thread.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

bartlebee posted:

So, crosspost from the general questions thread. I didn't see it in the general thread, but are there rules to Cook or Die? I made tofu for the first time with stir fried vegetables and a peanut garlic sauce. I took very basic photos, but I thought posting a tofu Cook or Die might be a fun one-off thread for recipes. I've just started cooking with tofu, and I just didn't know if "tofu" was too generic for a thread.

Go for it, man. The Forum Illuminati usually make declarations from above, but there's really no hardcore rules. Only really keep cost-prohibitive ingredients out and make it accessible to both meat and non-meat eaters.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

bartlebee posted:

I concur with the cheese man. Go for it. We've had a potato cook or die, and there's nothing more generic than a potato.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

wheez the roux posted:

and yeah my handmixer has an actual low setting that's pretty drat slow

If you don't have a stand mixer, just do it by hand? Handheld mixers suck and will incorporate air, slow setting or not.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Cavenagh posted:

I concur with the cheese man. Go for it. We've had a potato cook or die, and there's nothing more generic than a potato.

I dunno, I guess you could have a water cook or die.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

Eeyo posted:

I dunno, I guess you could have a water cook or die.

That's soup.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib
Maybe water filtration or die, but that's hiking.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Am I the only one who uses iodine tabs anymore? I feel so behind the times.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I just drink my urine; guaranteed sterile.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

:trophystare:
I made a baby.

My husband is goin nuts with the baby photos. Our family is going to be so confused.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Congrats on the baby!

Kinda looks like the knob of ginger I bought last week.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004

personally I'd probably do something like coq au vin with it, but you could also treat the cuts like veal and make milanesa with it. depending on how big the remaining baby carcass is you might be able to make a pretty good stock or demi-glace. or you could do it country style and give it a 12 piece cut and deep fry

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

:trophystare:

Steve Yun posted:

Congrats on the baby!

His name for this one is "human roots".

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Congratulations!

When I announced my son's birth it was with this image:

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

Congrats on the baby!

Whoa, whoa

The kid's Asian, not a ginger.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Vegetable Melange posted:

Whoa, whoa

Don't be racist. All babies look the same.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Vegetable Melange posted:

Whoa, whoa

Marrying an Asian is the only way to make sure that you never have ginger children.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

therattle posted:

Congratulations!

When I announced my son's birth it was with this image:

The hipsterest babby.

Charmmi posted:

I made a baby.

The disturbinist babby, apparently.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Steve Yun posted:

Congrats on the baby!

Extreme sous vide going on here. 40 weeks at 37C.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Squashy Nipples posted:

Marrying an Asian is the only way to make sure that you never have ginger children.

My sister is korean and has natural red steaks in her hair

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Mr. Wiggles posted:

The hipsterest babby.

It's an Addams!

Casu Marzu posted:

um, I was just repeating a joke from South Park. No reality intended.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Casu Marzu posted:

why does she put steaks in her hair?
...Im gunno try that!

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Squashy Nipples posted:

It's an Addams!

Exactly! From one of the greatest sequels ever.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

Charmmi posted:

I made a baby.

CHEEKS

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We just got a calamansi tree at the silent auction at our bee club meeting. It's the same size as our keffir tree - 4 feet or so.

:getin:

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Mr. Wiggles posted:

We just got a calamansi tree at the silent auction at our bee club meeting. It's the same size as our keffir tree - 4 feet or so.

:getin:

Bee club and a calamansi tree?! I am so jealous right now. Any pictures of this glorious plant?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

My pizza stone cracked last night so I'm pretty sad about that.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Bob Morales posted:

My pizza stone cracked last night so I'm pretty sad about that.

You're not one of those weird people that takes your pizza stone out of the oven are you?

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I've been house shopping for a few months now and found a place that we absolutely love, except one thing -- the loving kitchen is oriented so that the stove is on an island toward the interior with NO ventilation. What the gently caress. I just wanted to say that somewhere it'd be understood. Sigh.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

You're not one of those weird people that takes your pizza stone out of the oven are you?

I have two. I pre-heated the oven, took one of them out and set it on a wooden cutting board. Transferred my home-made Domino's Chicken Bites (tm) onto the other stone and then went in the other room. A few minutes later I heard 'pa-chink' and it was split in 3 pieces.

Had that drat thing for about 10 years :(

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Bob Morales posted:

I have two. I pre-heated the oven, took one of them out and set it on a wooden cutting board. Transferred my home-made Domino's Chicken Bites (tm) onto the other stone and then went in the other room. A few minutes later I heard 'pa-chink' and it was split in 3 pieces.

Had that drat thing for about 10 years :(

Replace it with a baking steel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

RedTonic posted:

Bee club and a calamansi tree?! I am so jealous right now. Any pictures of this glorious plant?

It's just a little one, which is good because it's too cold here for citrus. So we can only have dwarf varieties that we bring inside every winter.