Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

and then madoka wouldn't be one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Is this where I point out most people consider Kill la Kill a magical girl show, in the style of Cutie Honey?

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

WickedHate posted:

Is this where I point out most people consider Kill la Kill a magical girl show, in the style of Cutie Honey?

They do? I don't.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

who are most people, wickedhate

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

who are most people, wickedhate
wikipedia calls it one, with the source being a kotaku article

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

is soul eater a magical girl anime

Stars a young girl with magic powers, with aid from a male character that she has an ambiguous romantic interest in, she uses her powers to help people and save the world while also dealing with normal day-to-day things like her deadbeat father and weird teachers.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

new classification: magical girl shounen

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
magical girl boys?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

WickedHate posted:

Yikes.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Endorph posted:

wikipedia calls it one, with the source being a kotaku article

Kotaku? That's some win.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Magical Clothing. Wikipedia can quote me.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

ViggyNash posted:

They do? I don't.

Magical Girl Warrior. (It's a TV Tropes link, but bear with me, a lot of it is pretty informative)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

WickedHate posted:

Magical Girl Warrior. (It's a TV Tropes link, but bear with me, a lot of it is pretty informative)
personally, id rather consummate my marriage to a cactus than read tvtropes' thoughts on kill la kill

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Got a few redundant words there.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Endorph posted:

wait what

im not the person who said that magical girl shows were about hope

Oh, whoops, my mistake. But the rest of my point still stands: a genre is a broad categorization. A given work doesn't need to be exactly the same as the majority of shows in a specific genre to still be in that genre. Sure, when you get to the outliers it helps to list specific differentiating qualities or caveats or other genres it qualifies for, but if a show has certain tropes common to a million other shows, it's fair to categorize it along with those shows, whether those commonalities are thematic (romance, hope conquers all, do anything if you try, etc.) or more surface-level (team of girls with magical powers that fight baddies).

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

WickedHate posted:

"The intersection of Magical Girl with Super Heroine, and what happens when you combine Magic Knight with Frills of Justice."

That is the stupidest line I was never expecting to read.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I've read stupider lines.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

TvTropes is epic.

glomkettle
Sep 24, 2013

When the two pieces of "evidence" backing up your position are TvTropes and Kotaku, maybe rethink what you're trying to argue?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

The Devil Tesla posted:

magical girl boys?

Is this good because I think I'm down for whatever it is

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

glomkettle posted:

When the two pieces of "evidence" backing up your position are TvTropes and Kotaku, maybe rethink what you're trying to argue?

I'm not trying to argue anything(and didn't bring up Kotaku). I'm just saying, a lot of people see Kill la Kill as a magical girl show.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Help Im Alive posted:

Cute High Earth Defense Club Love! is pretty cool and worth giving a try.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Help Im Alive posted:

Good so far
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3692700

Wookie Bouquet
Jan 27, 2013

Too tsundere to drive.

The Devil Tesla posted:

magical girl boys?

This except replaced with early 30s bears please.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
I liked Kill la Kill, anything similiar to that out there? Fun stuff with great animation and action? For some reason Gurren Lagann isn't appealing at all.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

ManOfTheYear posted:

I liked Kill la Kill, anything similiar to that out there? Fun stuff with great animation and action? For some reason Gurren Lagann isn't appealing at all.

Kyokai no Kanata/Beyond the Boundry! It's style is a lot different then KLK, though. For something more tonally similar, Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt, perhaps? I haven't watched that but I've been told it's like KLK and it seems to be so.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

ManOfTheYear posted:

Yozakura Quartet: the new version and OAVs not the 2008 version. Here's the weird-rear end watching order :

Yozakura Quartet Hana no Uta (TV) episode 1 - episode 8
Yozakura Quartet Hoshi no Umi (OVA) episode 1 - 3
Yozakura Quartet Hana no Uta (TV) episode 9 - 13
Yozakura Quartet Tsuki ni Naku (OVA) episode 1 - 3

Have you seen Gunbuster and Diebuster? Those too if not.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

ManOfTheYear posted:

Yozakura Quartet is a good suggestion, Beyond the Boundary is bad and not.

Try the Re: Cutey Honey OAV series, a lot of the same people worked on that as KLK.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

ManOfTheYear posted:

What about it wasn't doing it for you?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Not enough beeg teetty anime babes

One is not enough

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I'm pretty sure she had the normal two.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Phobophilia posted:

Not enough beeg teetty anime babes

One is not enough
yoko
adiane
yoko's butt

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

can we not have one conversation that doesn't end up being about anime boobs and butts?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

can we not have one conversation that doesn't end up being about anime boobs and butts?
why dont we discuss the show your avatar is from instead, then

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

touché

glomkettle
Sep 24, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

Yozakura Quartet is a good suggestion, Beyond the Boundary is bad and not.

This is incredibly true. Do not bother with Beyond the Boundary; it's got pretty animation but the plot, characters, and dialogue are all dumpster trash. Yozakura Quarter is good, assuming you're watching the recent remake subtitled ~Hana no Uta~. I've heard mixed things about the original series, but Hana no Uta is great and absolutely worth a watch.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

WickedHate posted:

Kyokai no Kanata/Beyond the Boundry! It's style is a lot different then KLK, though.

If it's different from what the OP asked for. You probably shouldn't recommend it when the person says "give me more like this".

You also shouldn't recommend it because it's loving garbage. That would be my number one issue.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i know wickedhate has turned into the whipping boy of the subforum but kyoukai no kanata isnt any worse than 90% of the stuff people love on adtrw

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

but it's so very very boring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

The Black Stones posted:

If it's different from what the OP asked for. You probably shouldn't recommend it when the person says "give me more like this".

They asked for fun stuff with great animation and action. I did point out it has a different direction though and recomended something closer.

• Locked thread