Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

verbal enema posted:

15 martial to 6 reaalllly makes a difference then goddamn

It's been awhile since I've played, but I think it's a 5% increase for every point of martial. So a 9 point difference is a 45% smaller bonus to your levy size.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

SeaTard posted:

It's been awhile since I've played, but I think it's a 5% increase for every point of martial. So a 9 point difference is a 45% smaller bonus to your levy size.

Wowie

P sure this run is gonna have some hard times for the last 200 years until time end.

Or I'll just keep save scumming until a faction doesn't rise up during my defense against England

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Back To 99 posted:

You're weird.

Hey man, don't diss Poland LP man.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

verbal enema posted:

Wowie

P sure this run is gonna have some hard times for the last 200 years until time end.

Or I'll just keep save scumming until a faction doesn't rise up during my defense against England

Also, if your new ruler has lovely stewardship and this pushes your max holdings under your current holdings, you're going to start seeing some big penalties.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
Goddamn, I haven't played this game in more than a year and I forgot how intense it could be.

I spent twenty years hiding money away, sending my liege gifts and chancellor's, getting a marriage to his oldest daughter, spending my fortune to bribe his courtiers into a murder plot that failed because he dropped dead of a heart attack at 40 (died of stress), then assassinating my brother in law, heh, and assassinating my 2 year old nephew by getting his nurse to smother him with a pillow; then using a lucky subterfuge focus event to kidnap the last surviving son and forcing him to accept my wife as the new Duke.

Just picked up five ironman achievements from doing it too. This game is amazing.

Ghetto Prince fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Mar 2, 2015

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I had a 1,000 gold buffer saved up in case something bad happened, to hire mercenaries or whatever. Then my guy gets a life event to build a loving enormous tower. I've never seen this event chain before, so sure, build a tower, why not.

Then the first event comes up and it's a -750 gold event with no option to back out. Okay.

Then the second event comes up and it's also a -750 gold event with no option to back out. Um.

Then the third event comes up and here I at least have a choice. It's a choice between -750 gold or -2,250 gold. I pick the cheaper option but I'm still 1,000 gold in the hole.

Now that my finances have finally recovered (partly thanks to murdering a 76-year-old man and then raiding my re-election fund for near 800 gold), every single one of my provinces has like five thieves guilds.

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

So does anyone know o any CK2 mods that bring back the old CK1 music? I've been bumming around Paradox forums but no one seems to have put this together.

There's a big problem with this: Incompatible music formats. CK I uses .mp3, CK II uses .ogg, which means the music files have to be converted before use. However, if I did the conversion for you and then uploaded the CK I music as .ogg files, that would be copyright infringement.

If you're willing to do the work yourself:
Get the CK I music files, then go here to convert them.

Once you've done that, go to your CK II\music folder, put the converted CK I files in there, and replace the contents of songs.txt with this pastebin.

Hope that helps.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

vyelkin posted:

I had a 1,000 gold buffer saved up in case something bad happened, to hire mercenaries or whatever. Then my guy gets a life event to build a loving enormous tower. I've never seen this event chain before, so sure, build a tower, why not.

Then the first event comes up and it's a -750 gold event with no option to back out. Okay.

Then the second event comes up and it's also a -750 gold event with no option to back out. Um.

Then the third event comes up and here I at least have a choice. It's a choice between -750 gold or -2,250 gold. I pick the cheaper option but I'm still 1,000 gold in the hole.

Now that my finances have finally recovered (partly thanks to murdering a 76-year-old man and then raiding my re-election fund for near 800 gold), every single one of my provinces has like five thieves guilds.

I very rarely play as republics, how many events are there that are crazy -750 gold disasters?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

vyelkin posted:

Yeah...scaled_wealth effects are kind of broken for republics, I think, because of the shares system. If you have a decent number of men of your dynasty in your court, the "monthly income" that the game sees will be substantially higher than your real income, because a sizeable portion of what you get is immediately redistributed to the men of your family. But I'm fairly certain scaled_wealth effects are calculated as if it all were available to you.

Odobenidae posted:

I very rarely play as republics, how many events are there that are crazy -750 gold disasters?
It's not a republic-specific event. It's just that any sizeable scaled_wealth cost can be a little crazy when incurred by a successful republic.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Is it just me or would the Iberian portraits look better in the middle east than the standard muslim portraits (face-wise?)

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
I've basically re-created the W-Roman Empire with my Lombardy -> HRE, though I doubt that the Romans grabbed half of Mali and Abyssinia for laughs.

Question: What are the penalties for going over the vassal limit? After killing my successful Emperor to play as boy incompetent king of W-Francia (and every Karling kingdom but France, hah) I was at 59/28 and am down to 30/41. As far as I can tell all it does is sap my income and completely remove my vassal levies.

Oh, and why was making the pope a vassal a good thing? As far as I can tell dude is now just way broker and I can't switch to Papal whatever until the year 1000. A goddamn pain considering what a piggybank he was before.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Deceitful Penguin posted:

I've basically re-created the W-Roman Empire with my Lombardy -> HRE, though I doubt that the Romans grabbed half of Mali and Abyssinia for laughs.

Question: What are the penalties for going over the vassal limit? After killing my successful Emperor to play as boy incompetent king of W-Francia (and every Karling kingdom but France, hah) I was at 59/28 and am down to 30/41. As far as I can tell all it does is sap my income and completely remove my vassal levies.

Oh, and why was making the pope a vassal a good thing? As far as I can tell dude is now just way broker and I can't switch to Papal whatever until the year 1000. A goddamn pain considering what a piggybank he was before.

If you're over your vassal limit and your king dies, there's a chance some of your vassals will instantly become independent and have to be re-conquered.

If you vassalize the pope he can't turn down any of your requests/demands, so you can ask him for claims on any duchy you want or ask him for money or whatever and he will always say yes. It basically means you can declare duchy-level wars on whoever you want, because if they're your own religion you just get the pope to sanction it and if they're someone else's religion you just holy war them.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

vyelkin posted:

If you vassalize the pope he can't turn down any of your requests/demands, so you can ask him for claims on any duchy you want or ask him for money or whatever and he will always say yes. It basically means you can declare duchy-level wars on whoever you want, because if they're your own religion you just get the pope to sanction it and if they're someone else's religion you just holy war them.
Does that apply to duchies held by e.g. orthodox characters? I've never tried.

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

Grouchio posted:

Is it just me or would the Iberian portraits look better in the middle east than the standard muslim portraits (face-wise?)

The regular muslim portraits are from when the game was just released, so they suffer from a pretty bad case case of inherited potatoface.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.

Jaramin posted:

The regular muslim portraits are from when the game was just released, so they suffer from a pretty bad case case of inherited potatoface.

When I got Rajas of India the Indian faces turned into crazy-eyed people with rashes.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Strudel Man posted:

Does that apply to duchies held by e.g. orthodox characters? I've never tried.

It does not. Orthodox and its flavors appear to be the one exception; you can't take duchy titles from them at will via holy wars or pope claims (Catholics and Orthodox can't Holy War each other, though they can Holy War their own heresies. This was probably necessary to prevent the Byzantines from quickly swallowing Hungary and Poland and then being strong enough to inexorably swallow the rest of the Catholic world.)

In my current game the Golden Horde appeared in 1224 and conquered Hungary (and everything along the way, of course) by 1233. The Pope instantly declared a Crusade for Hungary; the Golden Horde, still having a 115K attrition-free fuckyoustack, effortlessly handed Christendom its rear end on a plate (the HRE and Brittanic Empire both sat the Crusade out) in under three years and still had 102K left in its fuckyoustack when it was done. So that was fun.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Mar 2, 2015

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I read a story by one guy who claimed to have married his way into the Byzantines as a Catholic, and managed to get the 6 year old heir to the throne in his court through murdering and inviting the kids mother to court. From there, he personally tutored the kid, giving him every trait possible that the pope hated. When the kid inherited, since he was Catholic, he was able to get papal claims on a ton of it and press them all at once. Empire didn't last much longer after that.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The thing about the Byzantines is that they're usually Elective, though, so it will take some insane scheming and stabbing and working the Born in the Purple system to get a teenage Catholic Lustful Gluttonous Greedy Cynical kid onto the throne.

I've gotten the Byzantine heir into my court a few times, too, and when I force him to embrace Catholicism he ceases to be the Byzantine heir within a week.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
In my latest game the Pope ended up taking most of Italy while the Byzantines went Catholic, leaving Bulgaria and Trebizond (located in Crimea) as the only Orthodox kingdoms.

Oh and Sunni Ireland was a thing.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
What are some good ways to kill yourself as quickly as possible? My emperor died before he could assassinate his dumb son so his Genius daughter could inherit.

Also, now that I've established the Empire of Britannia, should I hang on to the titles for Kingdoms of Ireland, Scotland, and Wales, or should I give them away? A lot of my vassals hate me because they want them.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

FourLeaf posted:

What are some good ways to kill yourself as quickly as possible? My emperor died before he could assassinate his dumb son so his Genius daughter could inherit.

Also, now that I've established the Empire of Britannia, should I hang on to the titles for Kingdoms of Ireland, Scotland, and Wales, or should I give them away? A lot of my vassals hate me because they want them.

If I were you I would destroy them. Wait until your ruler is old and you think he'll die soon, and then destroy the kingdoms. Your vassals will get upset but they'll forget all about it when the new king comes along, and vassal kings are a huge pain because they really want to be independent. Once you start hitting your vassal limit, consider recreating kingdoms starting with the smallest you can (so probably Wales, then Ireland, then Scotland, then England).

There are a few advantages to vassal kings, like having a big levy that you can gather all in one go instead of having to combine together a bunch of smaller ones, and only having one vassal to keep happy instead of ten, but it's balanced out by the fact that they're harder to keep happy and are very likely to join annoying factions.

To kill yourself, try and get stressed and then depressed. Stewardship focus is a good way to get stressed, I don't know the best way to depress yourself.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

vyelkin posted:

To kill yourself, try and get stressed and then depressed. Stewardship focus is a good way to get stressed, I don't know the best way to depress yourself.

Watch your Genius heir with 20+ Diplo and Martial die a natural death aged 21 then die the same way yourself the next year at 46 before all your elective titles have consolidated, putting a child on the throne and losing half the HRE while engaged in a war with Byzantium.

Oh, you meant characters. Sorry, can't help there.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Are there any mods that let you plot against your kids? I know it was apparently patched out for being overpowered but sometimes I just really, really need to shank a motherfucker.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

In my experience by the time you actually need to create some vassal kings to stay under the vassal limit, you've pretty much already won the game. Meaning by then you're so powerful that to have your empire meaningfully crumble would require active mismanagement on your part.

There are always going to be vassals that hate you, but there's definitely a tipping point in this game beyond which no faction revolt has a prayer of succeeding and no foreign power dares gently caress with you. That point is right around when you control your entire de jure empire plus another kingdom--which conveniently is also right around the point where your vassal cap starts becoming a problem that has to be dealt with.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Eric the Mauve posted:

In my experience by the time you actually need to create some vassal kings to stay under the vassal limit, you've pretty much already won the game. Meaning by then you're so powerful that to have your empire meaningfully crumble would require active mismanagement on your part.

There are always going to be vassals that hate you, but there's definitely a tipping point in this game beyond which no faction revolt has a prayer of succeeding and no foreign power dares gently caress with you. That point is right around when you control your entire de jure empire plus another kingdom--which conveniently is also right around the point where your vassal cap starts becoming a problem that has to be dealt with.

That's pretty much it. I also usually give up on playing after that point, or will switch to another nation.

This time Im trying to actually play to the end, which I never did, even though Ive put hundreds and hundreds of hours in this game. Its kinda hard, because it starts to feel like work: its not challenging, is not interesting anymore, its just doing the same thing over an over again.

Im actually mismaneging on purpose a bit (creating huge and dangeours vassal kingdoms, killing people just for the heck of it etc) and messing with foreign affairs I have nothing to do with just to keep things interesting while I wait for the hordes to come (I hope they can still put a good fight against me).

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

Eric the Mauve posted:

Hungary in Ironman with a 1066 start was pretty easy when I was going for the Survivor achievement. I did spend the first 300 years or so nailing other achievements, like three emperesses in a row and most of the Way of Life achievements, but in the last 40 years there wasn't much for me to do when I realized I couldn't make the Kingdom of Rus in time and I just ran down the clock.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

vyelkin posted:

I just had this event come up under a feudal emperor - Since I have a few merchant vassals and a ton of multi-city mayors* the business focus is sometimes helpful. The per-month wealth gain on this character is showing higher in the top-right indicator than it's actually increasing, and with about 25K or so banked the tower was costing me multiple thousands each time the events popped up. Not at all worth it for a tiny prestige boost and a slight opinion bonus, but I hadn't gotten the tower event yet so I figured I might as well see it out. For as much as the loving thing cost though it should really be permanent for the province instead of just for a pathetic 10 years or whatever. I could've built and upgraded a city all the way for less cash.

* wondering if this is part of the problem since they're all 1-2 cities over their demense and making me an obscene amount of money, but it's only been this 1 character where the finance sheet has been largely theoretical, and I've had mayors with too many cities for far longer

vyelkin posted:

He'll also excommunicate anyone for 100 piety without objection, making it easy to kill off adventurers or imprison/execute annoying vassals/ambitious doges without much trouble. County claims are good too if you want one of your vassal's territories for whatever reason, like to expand your demense or maybe just because their place is nicer than yours.

future ghost fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Mar 2, 2015

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

cisco privilege posted:

For as much as the loving thing cost though it should really be permanent for the province instead of just for a pathetic 10 years or whatever.
You'd think. There's also a continuation of the chain, where it has a chance to 'lean,' and you can perform reconstructions and other assorted things can happen, but it only happens with 2% of completed towers. Also I'm fairly certain that the code for it to happen is bugged.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Jedit posted:

Watch your Genius heir with 20+ Diplo and Martial die a natural death aged 21 then die the same way yourself the next year at 46 before all your elective titles have consolidated, putting a child on the throne and losing half the HRE while engaged in a war with Byzantium.

I had to excommunicate, imprison, and monasticize my heir to get my genius first in line. Then came the syphilis. Then came the lunacy.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

As I formed my republic, I lost the first election because I'd lost a lot of gold fixing up my economy, and hadn't thought to pour money into the election process. I'm sadled with some crappy counties, since I'd not yet had a chance to upgrade completely from tribalism. Fine, I thought, as the empire I'd built was slowly being picked away at by outsiders. I'll just win the next election and turn things around. At which point my main rival gains tons of money and prestige really swiftly and I can't keep up, as I've had to switch heirs when one dies suddenly. The rival wins, and keeps the empire in costly wars it cannot win and never tries to expand or reclaim lost territory. I finally get to the top of the list with my martial-centric heir, who's at a decent age and with lots of money... when I'm called to a duel and won't refuse. And I lose. And suddenly all my rivals are building their second and more tradeposts, while I'm stuck with just the one. Meaning I'll probably play second fiddle forever. Or until the empire is gobbled up by the Rus.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
FFFUUUCCCKKKKKK
Goddamn foreign culture loving heirs! I guess going for the whole of goddamn Francia at once was a bad idea but goddamn it!

There's like, 300 years of loving playtime down the drain, ugghhhhhhhhh.

Also gently caress you muslim motherfuckers and your goddamn invasion CB. Who thought that them having that and Jihads was a good idea???

Edit: It's especially galling, because If I'd just been arsed enough to notice, I wouldn't have married him to that barons daughter and he coulda converted to Lombard before the event hit, like it did before. UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Deceitful Penguin fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Mar 3, 2015

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015
What are the best succession systems? I just went with ultimogeniture and everyone hated my heir when he took the throne.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Hadaka Apron posted:

What are the best succession systems? I just went with ultimogeniture and everyone hated my heir when he took the throne.
Open Agnatic or Patrician Elective.

Tanistry is the most hilarious though. Wish it was open to errybody.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

Really having trouble with Vikings. You need to get money with raiding, but it costs money to raid. I've gotten a little better at splitting up my troops into 500-person bunches and setting them out to plunder, but it's super time-consuming on the microlevel, and then they come back with some gold and I break even. I start small and I stay small. I'm sure I'm missing what's fun about this.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
Question, if I have one duchy under gavelkind inheritance and I give my heir a county outside of the de jure duchy, will he still inherit the all the duchy lands ahead of his brothers?

I'm running an ironman game to pick up some achievements , so I can't exactly gently caress around.

I've got the Duke of Brandenberg in the Holy Roman Empire, if that makes a difference.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

dj_clawson posted:

Really having trouble with Vikings. You need to get money with raiding, but it costs money to raid. I've gotten a little better at splitting up my troops into 500-person bunches and setting them out to plunder, but it's super time-consuming on the microlevel, and then they come back with some gold and I break even. I start small and I stay small. I'm sure I'm missing what's fun about this.

Use your vassal levies and retinues only. No maintenance costs.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

Volkerball posted:

Use your vassal levies and retinues only. No maintenance costs.

Do vassal levies who are vikings dislike you for raising levies to raid? Because I'm used to feudal rulers, and they're always mad when I raise vassal levies.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

Hadaka Apron posted:

Tanistry is really good for clean successions, but usually you get kind of blah rulers. Where are you located?

Rianeva
Mar 8, 2009

dj_clawson posted:

Do vassal levies who are vikings dislike you for raising levies to raid? Because I'm used to feudal rulers, and they're always mad when I raise vassal levies.

They won't hate you for raising levies until you reform the faith, iirc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

dj_clawson posted:

Yes when you are feudal, no when you are tribal. But while you're in the process of raiding, it seems like the opinion penalty drops. It rises while you're floating around though. No big deal. It's totally worth opinion penalties for no maintenance raids.

• Locked thread