Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

spacemang_spliff posted:

I'm going to pick this up tomorrow.

Are the games any good for practicing scales and poo poo? I play bass and sometimes it's hard to sit there and just drill scales over and over even though that's what I should be doing.

Living in an area with no music scene or musicians is loving terrible. I just wish I could find people to jam with. looks like the xbone will have to be my jam buddy

Depends how well it tracks for you - the games are cool but for me (and my bad computer) they glitch out occasionally, not reading what I did properly, so my Sports Car crashes and I have to wait 10 or 15 seconds for all the bullshit to happen before I can start over. When they work they're fun, so see how it goes! You could just practice in Session Mode anyway, drill your scales over your synthpop kazoo crossover band and play around with hitting all the chord changes, which honestly is probably more useful

And when I play bass (again, bad compooter) I notice the latency a lot more, so for me it's really not a substitute for proper practice. But you could sit down for 10 mins with a metronome and make sure you keep your timing sharp and warmed up, and then switch to the game. Also a lot of people run into an amp for the tonez and run their Rocksmith cable out of that, which will sound and feel a lot better if that's an option for you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

baka kaba posted:

Depends how well it tracks for you - the games are cool but for me (and my bad computer) they glitch out occasionally, not reading what I did properly, so my Sports Car crashes and I have to wait 10 or 15 seconds for all the bullshit to happen before I can start over. When they work they're fun, so see how it goes! You could just practice in Session Mode anyway, drill your scales over your synthpop kazoo crossover band and play around with hitting all the chord changes, which honestly is probably more useful

And when I play bass (again, bad compooter) I notice the latency a lot more, so for me it's really not a substitute for proper practice. But you could sit down for 10 mins with a metronome and make sure you keep your timing sharp and warmed up, and then switch to the game. Also a lot of people run into an amp for the tonez and run their Rocksmith cable out of that, which will sound and feel a lot better if that's an option for you

wow just looked up session mode, that looks p sweet. should help with improvisation and stuff, at least a little.

I should bust out my old amp and piss off my neighbors, it's pretty ridiculously loud.

is there a setting for 5 string basses on drop tuned songs?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Uhhh don't think so, but it doesn't actually care (or know) which string you're playing on, it just listens to the note you're playing. So if you're cool with the mental adjustment you could just transpose as you play, and if you're not then it's good practice innit

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

baka kaba posted:

Uhhh don't think so, but it doesn't actually care (or know) which string you're playing on, it just listens to the note you're playing. So if you're cool with the mental adjustment you could just transpose as you play, and if you're not then it's good practice innit

I've played that bass for years, so I'm pretty used to it.

I lucked out buying it when I graduated HS in 2002

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Oh I mean like playing a song that's in Drop D, seeing an open bottom string on the 4-string display and going 'nope' and playing 3rd fret on the B instead. If it won't throw you seeing that then you'll be fine! There's nothing for 7-string guitars either so you're kinda on your own with it really

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

How is this on PS4? I grabbed it for cheap a while back for PC and like it a lot, but would use it a lot more with my console and sound system than sitting at my computer desk.

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011
The Cars 5 Pack next week

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

toymach1ne posted:

Yes!

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

toymach1ne posted:

I just came

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

omg yes

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
So is there anything I can do about the lag from going hdmi to tv?

Or is this the excuse I need to buy a soundbar or something?

And do they really put out new DLC every week? :captainpop:

YeahWhatevah
Oct 28, 2013

toymach1ne posted:

Very nice.

It's good to see you youngsters appreciate the dadrock :3:

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.

spacemang_spliff posted:

is there a setting for 5 string basses on drop tuned songs?

No, as said above, but there are custom DLCs made for 5-string (and a few 6-string) basses. Hope you like prog-y metal-y stuff.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

How is this on PS4? I grabbed it for cheap a while back for PC and like it a lot, but would use it a lot more with my console and sound system than sitting at my computer desk.

It's great! Just like on ps3. But not all the old dlc is available yet unless you're in North America I think.
The import tool is missing as well.

Edit and don't forget to split the sound from the hdmi cable.

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011
http://www.macgamestore.com/product/3006/Rocksmith-2014-Edition/ $14.98 PC/Mac

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

toymach1ne posted:

:aaaaa:

Alright, this is just what I needed.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

spacemang_spliff posted:

There's almost 20 coming out daily from CDLC. Around half will be generally good and with no bugs, but it's still a ton of content.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.

spacemang_spliff posted:

So is there anything I can do about the lag from going hdmi to tv?

On the PS3, it has a setting that makes it output to multiple devices, so I just use HDMI for video, have a composite cable from my PS2 connected to some speakers, and mute the TV. Works perfectly. I'm sure there are similar options for other systems.

quote:

My wallet would be much better off if they didn't. The amount of money I've spent on this game is obscene.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

spacemang_spliff posted:

Yeah they are amazing with the content.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

I'm about 3 weeks into my "60 Day Challenge" (after a couple of false starts) and I'm loving it. No issues with HDMI lag but that obviously is setup-dependent. I haven't actually used Learn a Song mode that much, just Guitarcade and Session Mode to sharpen my technique and get better at hitting the right string(s). You miss out on all the custom stuff from the PC versions, but the base game is probably the exact same.

I picked up Music Theory for Dummies and Guitar Theory for Dummies to go along with the game and kinda made my own daily study thing out of it. I just need to pick up a bass down the road and I'll be set since I'm a bassist at heart.

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

Any word on the Cars track list?

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

I finally hit 50 plays on The Red by Chevelle. That song has to be the the most fun out of any of my songs.

I should play less and finish the CLDC I start. I have Sleep Apnea on guitar and bass and I just need to psarc it.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

OhDearGodNo posted:

I finally hit 50 plays on The Red by Chevelle. That song has to be the the most fun out of any of my songs.

I should play less and finish the CLDC I start. I have Sleep Apnea on guitar and bass and I just need to psarc it.

Please finish Sleep Apnea!

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

When there's already cdlc for a song that Rocksmith officially releases, does customsforge take down the link to the first one?

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
The Cake pack for rocksmith is the best dlc for anything ever

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Snowy posted:

When there's already cdlc for a song that Rocksmith officially releases, does customsforge take down the link to the first one?

Yes, and if you buy the song from Ubisoft and have the CDLC and try to play one it usually crashes the game.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Mr E posted:

Please finish Sleep Apnea!

I'll have to test it. Had to rewrite most of it anyway.

Oh, I didn't do "actual" arrangements or else he lead would have been boring.

I'm still working on Respect the Wind but it's really difficult because of Eddie.

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011

TheChaosPath posted:

Any word on the Cars track list?

The Cars Song Pack – $11.99

The Cars “Just What I Needed”
The Cars “Good Times Roll”
The Cars “Bye Bye Love”
The Cars “Let’s Go”
The Cars “You’re All I’ve Got Tonight”

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

OhDearGodNo posted:

I'm still working on Respect the Wind but it's really difficult because of Eddie.

I appreciate your dedication to awesomeness.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

CitrusFrog posted:

I appreciate your dedication to awesomeness.

Thanks- I love that song myself because I loved the movie Twister and I remember it playing during the end credits. Once I finish this up I'll finish it. I know EVH ran through a JCM and the settings were apparently "all to 10" but it doesn't match. Someone did a CDLC with a good tone though and so I've been dragging my feet wanting to do complex bends and crap.

First test of Sleep Apnea, not that bad. Lyrics and a tone import should see it done. I might have to edit some hand phrases because it can get confusing. Also I'm not 100% sure it's really in Eb drop Db. Chevelle didn't start moving up until La Gargola and even then it was D drop C.

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

toymach1ne posted:

The Cars “Bye Bye Love”
The Cars “Let’s Go”

I'll allow it

Tasteful Bulge
Sep 5, 2003

It's down to you and me, you one-eyed freak.

toymach1ne posted:

The Cars “Bye Bye Love”
The Cars “Let’s Go”

Not the songs I expected, but still a good bunch. Hopefully we get a second pack in the future.

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYEfatoojGs

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Is there a way for note/chord names to pop up over bass like to does for guitar? I'd kind of like to know the names of the notes I'm poorly swatting at.

Mercedes
Mar 7, 2006

"So you Jesus?"

"And you black?"

"Nigga prove it!"

And so Black Jesus turned water into a bucket of chicken. And He saw that it was good.

magiccarpet posted:

Is there a way for note/chord names to pop up over bass like to does for guitar? I'd kind of like to know the names of the notes I'm poorly swatting at.

I loving wish. At least on the third, fifth, seventh, nineth etc. frets so it doesn't get cluttered

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Gamestop has all the console versions (with the cord) for $40 until March 10th.

I'm probably going to double dip for the PS4 version.

gameday
Apr 29, 2006

Hungry for sport
I'm going to jump on the Rocksmith bandwagon, having never played guitar or any stringed instrument before. Sorry, wife.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

gameday posted:

I'm going to jump on the Rocksmith bandwagon, having never played guitar or any stringed instrument before. Sorry, wife.

You do the right thing. I had a guitar for many years without doing anything with it, but after half a year with RS I can honestly say that I can play guitar, even if I still suck at it. It's a great way to get over that initial hump where everything sounds like poo poo.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
Downloaded DIo: Rainbow in the Dark. That's a very fun bass song despite it being the same two sets of notes over and over again. Or it's just cause I love Dio :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Gamestop has all the console versions (with the cord) for $40 until March 10th.

I'm probably going to double dip for the PS4 version.

It looks like the PC version is in that ad too, is it not also included?