Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
"It's cool, guys, he only used the mind control machines on her a little bit so he could have sex with her, then be born as her child and then have sex with her more." - An actual human writer, whose work was viewed and approved by other human beings before being published

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

You guys are leaving out the best part, where the baby turns out to be the dude who impregnated her and they go off and live together in another dimension.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

SynthOrange posted:

Ms. Marvel undergoes a nine-month gestation period in the span of a few days
That's not even the worst part!

e: muscles has already covered it!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
It probably exists, but I honestly can't think of a more disgusting thing that's happened in main stream comics.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Travis343 posted:

The Avengers are barely phased too, they're like "Oh poo poo you had a baby in what, a week? How cute! Let's knit it some onesies!"

Oh like that would phase them. "You know, my brother gave birth to a horse once!"

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Comics has a long thing of making pregnancy a horrifying event that brings doom or tragedy upon all involved. It hasn't gone away by any measure: look up Peter David's X-Factor comics for some much more recent examples. :(

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

SynthOrange posted:

Wait what's Avengers 200...

AAAAAAAGGHGHAHHBHAHHBH
That is, by far, the least objectionable part of the plot.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Comics has a long thing of making pregnancy a horrifying event that brings doom or tragedy upon all involved. It hasn't gone away by any measure: look up Peter David's X-Factor comics for some much more recent examples. :(

It's it presented as a positive thing in Avengers 200 though (thus making it much worse, given the circumstances)?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

It probably exists, but I honestly can't think of a more disgusting thing that's happened in main stream comics.

The only thing that comes close is Worldwatch but as it had a circulation of maybe 43 copies it doesn't count as mainstream.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Skwirl posted:

Didn't Countdown have Renee Montoya or Batwoman fighting a necromatic blastula comprised of aborted babies?

Dead baby ball was pretty gross.

And there's pretty much all of Crossed...

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

FilthyImp posted:

Didn't Countdown have Renee Montoya or Batwoman fighting a necromatic blastula comprised of aborted babies?

Dead baby ball was pretty gross.

And there's pretty much all of Crossed...

Crossed isn't mainstream, and I wasn't trying to make it a challenge.

Edit: for further explanation, the reason it's the worst god damned thing in mainstream comics goes beyond the whole "marrying your own baby who is also a mind controlling space rapist," the problem is that no one in the comic thought that was bad as well. It's a hosed up situation that everyone in the comic treated as fine, it's the cosmic version of telling a rape victim she shouldn't have worn tight pants.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Mar 3, 2015

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I kind of want to see a challenge.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

I kind of want to see a challenge.

Well, the challenge is finding something in the big two that's more hosed up than having a member of your superhero team be raped by cosmic entity, give birth to that entity then marry that entity, and everyone on your superhero team be "Seems legit, they must be in love."

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
They later revealed/retconed that the mind controlling super alien was mind controlling the Avengers as well.

Which works really well with how mind bogglingly dumb they were, "This baby seems to want to play with my welding equipment, that's just peachy keen!"

SirDan3k fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Mar 3, 2015

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Which came first, that issue of Avengers or that creepy episode of Star Trek TNG with almost the same plot?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Avengers, by the better part of a decade (although apparently that script had been floating around for a few years).

Unbelievably Fat Man
Jun 1, 2000

Innocent people. I could never hurt innocent people.

idonotlikepeas posted:

"It's cool, guys, he only used the mind control machines on her a little bit so he could have sex with her, then be born as her child and then have sex with her more." - An actual human writer, whose work was viewed and approved by other human beings before being published
Technically it was Jim Shooter, who was editor in chief at the time, so he approved it himself and could threaten the livelihood of anyone who didn't want to work on it.

The story behind Avengers #200 is fascinating and insane.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Unbelievably Fat Man posted:

Technically it was Jim Shooter, who was editor in chief at the time, so he approved it himself and could threaten the livelihood of anyone who didn't want to work on it.

The story behind Avengers #200 is fascinating and insane.
I also can't get past the undercurrent that this was not just a story for rando Avengers issue 180-something, this was the big 200 spectacular. Just imagine the shitstorm if they pulled that same story today.

Speaking of, what was the letter column like a few issues down the road? Was there an overly positive/negative response from readers right at the time?

Here's Jim Shooter's take on it, but of course, mounds of salt.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

At least he has the decency to accept the ultimate blame as the guy who was in charge. I would like to hear more about how he got the co-plotter credit; did they just throw it around over stretches of comics, or was it carefully assigned issue-by-issue?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

prefect posted:

At least he has the decency to accept the ultimate blame as the guy who was in charge. I would like to hear more about how he got the co-plotter credit; did they just throw it around over stretches of comics, or was it carefully assigned issue-by-issue?

Shooter had been scripting the Avengers comic on a regular issue-to-issue basis for a couple of years in the late 1970s; after he became editor-in-chief in 1978, he reduced his role to co-plotter and handed over most of the work to a succession of different scriptwriters (I think David Michelinie - whose name I believe is also on Avengers #200 - did quite a lot of work on Avengers around this time), but kept a fairly strong degree of top-down control pretty much up until 1983, when Roger Stern's run started.

I'm never sure how to feel about Shooter. :shrug:

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Skwirl posted:

Didn't Scarlet Witch give birth to Multiple Man's kid, who was then absorbed back into MM as soon as he touched the kid? I'd say that's up there.

In retrospect, that's probably not near "Magic Rape Space Baby" levels.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

CzarChasm posted:

Didn't Scarlet Witch give birth to Multiple Man's kid, who was then absorbed back into MM as soon as he touched the kid? I'd say that's up there.

Think it was Siryn, not Scarlet Witch. Irish, not Eastern European.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

CzarChasm posted:

Yeah, that was presented as a horrifying, sad thing. Space rape baby was presented as an expression of true love.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Uthor posted:

Claremont (CLAREMONT!) had her bitch out the Avengers (and Marvel) in an X-Men comic over the whole thing because he thought it was disgusting.

He was absolutely right to do so, but it's kinda funny, because I was just reading the original Ms Marvel book from the 70s... and Claremont takes it over really early on, like #3. And something like 3 issues later, Carol's brainwashed into MODOK's obedient slave (because Claremont).

When the dude whose 'thing' is ladies been mind controlled into being evil and sexy calls you out on being too creepy and rape-y, you've really crossed the line.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Skwirl posted:

Well, the challenge is finding something in the big two that's more hosed up than having a member of your superhero team be raped by cosmic entity, give birth to that entity then marry that entity, and everyone on your superhero team be "Seems legit, they must be in love."

It's even grosser because wasn't Ms. Marvel's thing how she was supposed to be this big feminist character?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Gavok posted:

It's even grosser because wasn't Ms. Marvel's thing how she was supposed to be this big feminist character?

She starts her solo book as the editor for Jameson's women's magazine, and Jonah's pissed off all the time because she wants to run articles on feminist issues, and not recipes and fashion spreads. So yes, that was kinda the idea.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 41 hours!
Fallen Rib
Were there ever any prominent female writers back in the day, or were all the characters being written by men?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Madkal posted:

Were there ever any prominent female writers back in the day, or were all the characters being written by men?
Jo Duffy and Ann Nocenti are the main two I can think of, for around that time.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Madkal posted:

Louise Simonson

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bobkatt013 posted:

Louise Simonson

He meant to say "that weren't terrible. "

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

redbackground posted:

Jo Duffy and Ann Nocenti are the main two I can think of, for around that time.

Mary Bierbaum, though she only ever worked on Legion of Superheroes and some Image stuff.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Rhyno posted:

He meant to say "that weren't terrible. "

"Sorry, due to your poor writing, you count as a man"

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

qntm posted:

"Sorry, due to your poor writing, you count as a man"

Huh. That might explain Gail Simons's burly knuckles.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Huh. That might explain Gail Simons's burly knuckles.

Really dude? We're going to the 'I dislike this writer, so I must insult her appearance' well?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gaz-L posted:

Really dude? We're going to the 'I dislike this writer, so I must insult her appearance' well?

I don't even know what her knuckles look like, Jesus Christ go white knight somewhere else.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Nah he is right that was a dumb as gently caress comment.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'd have to respect Gail Simone or her work to really give a poo poo so there you go.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Goddammit Rhyno you ran the woman off of BSS like eight years ago, when will the feud end

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Rhyno posted:

I'd have to respect Gail Simone or her work to really give a poo poo so there you go.

I shouldn't be surprised but I am.

You really are the worst, jesus.

for the record I don't give a flying gently caress what you think about her work or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Rhyno posted:

Accusing a woman of looking like a man, joking or not, is bullshit regardless of who it is dude.