Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Joementum posted:

Obviously nothing's even close to over yet, but don't mistake him for an unserious candidate.

Except Walker didn't win Wisconsin, the Koch brothers did through massive spending on propaganda and astroturfing, and rich as they are they aren't going to pull that poo poo off against the GOP machine on a federal level. Unless some fresh-faced Republican Obama comes out of loving nowhere I'm half expecting Romney to step in and take the reins from a floundering Jeb and lead us on all another magical journey.

What happens if for some reason Hillary doesn't actually run?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Wheeee posted:

What happens if for some reason Hillary doesn't actually run?

A Republican will be sworn in on January 20, 2017.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

President Klobuchar.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Joementum posted:

lmao

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Joementum posted:

If Hillary decided not to run Joe Biden would win the nomination and defeat the Republican nominee in every national debate by making loud car revving sounds into the microphone. When he is sworn in he wears aviators and the first words of his inaugural address are "American, it's time to go fast".

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

Joementum posted:

Well if (When) Harper wins again this year in Canada I hope a Republican is sworn in so this sin-cursed world can perish in flames as it deserves.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
I would vote for any Canadian running for president

Mookface for president

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Joementum posted:

You're too pessimistic.

Joe Biden will be sworn in on January 20, 2017.

gnarlyhotep posted:

Mookface for president

Ah, the elusive Cruz supporter.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

gnarlyhotep posted:

Mookface for president

Ted Cruz is Canadian.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

gnarlyhotep posted:

Mookface for president

The only Canadian running for president in 2016 is Ted Cruz.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
he doesn't seem very Canadian

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

gnarlyhotep posted:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
It is sort of funny that there have already been two opposite email scandals: Hillary using gmail so that nobody could see her correspondence and Jeb releasing all of his, doxxing a bunch of his constituents in the process.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

hay cutie :wink:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

A lot of the people I worked with four years ago used gmail exclusively, despite it being pretty explicit policy to use their EDU address, because Google docs used to be a pain in the rear end when you tried to use a non-gmail account. I am sure that is not the reason Clinton did it, but the use of pretty necessary business technology never does seem to keep pace with approved software in office policies, which does affect government operations.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
Hm, I wonder if it'll go anywhere. I would expect something like this to be a non-starter, but there are a lot of people that would do anything to keep Hilary from getting the nomination, and they're in congress.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I think it's a non-starter that will make them look petty in the long run.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Bicyclops posted:

I think it's a non-starter that will make them look petty in the long run.

Someone's forgotten Vince Foster.

Hillary will be hounded on her emails for life.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Full Battle Rattle posted:

Hm, I wonder if it'll go anywhere. I would expect something like this to be a non-starter, but there are a lot of people that would do anything to keep Hilary from getting the nomination, and they're in congress.

Unless they can produce some scandal that the e-mail was being used to cover up, I don't see how it's not a non-starter.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Karnegal posted:

Unless they can produce some scandal that the e-mail was being used to cover up, I don't see how it's not a non-starter.

It's another nail in the "the Clintons think the rules don't apply to them" narrative.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Karnegal posted:

Did Hillary use her private email to hide what she knew about Benghazi?

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

Ya'll forgettin' the really obvious angle on this. She did it so she could hide her Benghazi lies. EDIT ugh, beaten

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
She could Old Person it up like Jebush and release everything in her inbox, unredacted.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

FilthyImp posted:

She could Old Person it up like Jebush and release everything in her inbox, unredacted.

That's what she has to do, if she has nothing to hide.

What's she hiding? Did she order the marines to turn back from the Benghazi rescue?

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Pinterest Mom posted:

It's another nail in the "the Clintons think the rules don't apply to them" narrative.

Yeah, but that's just a circle jerk among the base. Those were never going to be her votes anyway. I mean they need something substantive if they want to get regular voters. And if she ends up running against Bush^3, then undecided people will probably consider their tech gaffs a wash.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

My Imaginary GF posted:

Someone's forgotten Vince Foster.

Hillary will be hounded on her emails for life.

It can only go so far, because everyone in Washington uses personal email for exactly this reason, so they only make themselves vulnerable if they push it too much.

It'll get some mention in the permanent committee on BENGHAZI and then blow over.

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!
She should be required to release her long form emails.

Seriously, this is not going anywhere and nobody is going to give a poo poo who wasn't already voting against her anyway.

Misandrist Duck
Oct 22, 2012
She probably broke the Federal Records Act and violated political norms, but this is a non-starter.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I'm certain it's being added to chain emails and lunatic fringe sites as we speak.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Pinterest Mom posted:

Is there a rule against using private email?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Misandrist Duck posted:

She probably broke the Federal Records Act and violated political norms, but this is a non-starter.

Watch a Clinton unfairly escape prosecution in accord with both the letter and spirit of law.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

DynamicSloth posted:

Is there a rule against using private email?

If nothing classified gets sent to it and you follow the records act it's probably not a big deal.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Raskolnikov38 posted:

If nothing classified gets sent to it and you follow the records act it's probably not a big deal.

Considering she only used a personal email, classified information and non-compliance with the records act is all but assured.

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!

My Imaginary GF posted:

Considering she only used a personal email, classified information and non-compliance with the records act is all but assured.

You've never worked around executive old people. They don't work out of email. They get other people to do that for them. There's still a decent chance of a violation but it's certainly not "all but assured."

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

My Imaginary GF posted:

And proven how? A Darrel Issa led investigation into Hillary's evil Benghazi emails will only help Hillary's numbers.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Vienna Circlejerk posted:

You've never worked around executive old people. They don't work out of email. They get other people to do that for them. There's still a decent chance of a violation but it's certainly not "all but assured."

Pretty much this. Politicians still operate on "my aide will print it out and hand it to me."

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Seriously, this is not going anywhere and nobody is going to give a poo poo who wasn't already voting against her anyway.

The only way this gets legs is if it leads to a horrible, proven, easily identifiable and understandable security breach with concrete consequences. We will know if this is the case because it will be trumpeted across all major media 24/7—not the email account info itself, but the actual information contained in said breach. If this happens, it will be a big deal and all but sink Clinton's campaign.

But it won't be, because something that big would've been seen already. Which means this is a big fat load of nothing that will fall right into the BENGHAZI!!! background noise and have absolutely zero traction with anyone not looking for an excuse to scream and stamp their feet.

In summary,

Deep Hurting
Jan 19, 2006

Chokes McGee posted:

The only way this gets legs is if it leads to a horrible, proven, easily identifiable and understandable security breach with concrete consequences. We will know if this is the case because it will be trumpeted across all major media 24/7—not the email account info itself, but the actual information contained in said breach. If this happens, it will be a big deal and all but sink Clinton's campaign.

Fox News is saving it for October, 2016. :tinfoil:

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
I'm voting for Chokes McGee in 2016.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Hillary is going to win by like 10 points and I don't see how an Obama scandal would affect too much.

Consider:

1) Republicans have leaned on that poo poo so much nobody even knows what a scandal is anymore
2) Hillary has plenty of experience attacking Obama, and will do so if it's to her benefit
3) It's Hillary

• Locked thread