Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

duckmaster posted:

stuff about myanmar

Thanks that was good stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Sheep-Goats posted:

20km outside of a major city can be a good thing depending on your temperament. I don't know anything specifically about this school/location so take anything I say with a grain of salt, but in general schools do what they can to stress how good their location is when trying to attract foreign help. This means that something like "near Bangkok" really means an hour's bus ride from the shrimp farm ghetto that tapers out to the south of the city for miles and miles, meaning like two hours to get to anything anyone would call Bangkok if they weren't selling something on a good traffic day. Any time going somewhere results in you strongly considering getting a hotel room and making it a two day thing I don't think you can really consider the two locations to be the same. Presumably you're looking at getting out of China because you've heard that it's a lot better to live in SE Asia but going to the gulags may erode some of what you're looking for. Depending, of course, on what you're looking for.

KL is a bit of a cluster of mini cities so being 20km outside the city doesn't really mean anything. Subang (Jaya) is about an hour+ from the city centre but there should be enough in or around it for you to get by. In fact I'd actually go as far to say as it might be nicer to be in Petaling Jaya than in KLCC for pretty much anything unless you want to go to overpriced tourist bars and clubs.

In case that's not clear I'm agreeing with Sheep-Goats.

Just over a month before I head back to Europe forever and ever. Almost here five years now.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)
I'm voting Philippines dogs as most chill

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POEUSdBYXOg

Which crazy uncle told him a loving duck on a rope would help him catch a fish. Also what does that fish think it's doing trying to stand up on its front fins. You're a fish, not a duck, you can't stand up on two legs.

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen

DontAskKant posted:

I'm voting Philippines dogs as most chill

Agreed. I like to think Philippine attitudes towards dogs are one of those nice things they inherited from American colonialism and the dogs respond well to that.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Sheep-Goats posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POEUSdBYXOg

Which crazy uncle told him a loving duck on a rope would help him catch a fish. Also what does that fish think it's doing trying to stand up on its front fins. You're a fish, not a duck, you can't stand up on two legs.

Gotta admit, I was expecting a crocodile.

Luffles
Jul 25, 2007

The Bird of Hermes Is My Name, Eating My Wings To Make Me Tame

Atlas Hugged posted:

No weirder than drinking with the other goons here.

i've prepared my whole life for this moment

add me on line @ luffles

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
The levels of roadside pollution probably make for some interesting mutant fish.

Barfolemew
Dec 5, 2011

Non Serviam
SEA goons are good people to drink with.

I need to save for a downpayment for a stupid house so no SEA trips this year :( What is this sensible horseshit with houses and all :shrug:

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Are all you Thailand goons in Bangkok? I'm up in Chiang Rai and I need drinking buddies too!

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005

Atlas Hugged posted:

Trust me, I have a more intimate knowledge of how all of this works than any man could ever want.

trust this man. If there is any single person who could give you the ins and out about education reform in Thailand, and look at you with the most distant, darkest, ethereal of all thousand-yard stares, and mean it, it's this guy right here.

When you're at a bar with him, and he starts with "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...", he's not making any of it up. At all.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Atlas go take over my EFL thread pls thx

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Atlas please take over EFL in Asia and institute a reign of terror.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Sheep-Goats posted:

Atlas go take over my EFL thread pls thx

We fired a teacher for, among other things, making GBS threads into a trashcan today.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
"Among other things" is doing some heavy lifting there.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
gently caress johor bahru crossing

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Atlas Hugged posted:

We fired a teacher for, among other things, making GBS threads into a trashcan today.

Long distance making GBS threads should be a part of every TEFL cert IMHBO

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
That dude in EN just drunkposted that he's getting arrested. What is it about this country that sends people loving nuts?

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ

Bardeh posted:

That dude in EN just drunkposted that he's getting arrested. What is it about this country that sends people loving nuts?

Link: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3700437

Barfolemew: Please keep us updated if you see anything in Finnish media (guy claims to be from Finland).

Barfolemew
Dec 5, 2011

Non Serviam

Ringo R posted:

Link: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3700437

Barfolemew: Please keep us updated if you see anything in Finnish media (guy claims to be from Finland).

Nothing so far. First thing i did was play internet dedective and did a few google searches. So far could not find anything in any of the finnish forums about this particular trainwreck.

edit: typos

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Sorry but I refuse to believe that that goon farang thread is real.

mrg220t
Mar 5, 2007

Kitty no go hungry again with finger food!!!

NaanViolence posted:

I am considering applying for this teaching gig in Malaysia. It is in Subang Jaya. Does anyone know anything about the area? I suspect being 20km away from KL is a good thing, but I have heard terrible things about the traffic. I doubt anyone has experience teaching in both places, but having taught two years in China it would be great to know if Malaysia is at all similar in terms of work culture.

http://reachtoteachrecruiting.theresumator.com/apply/jobs/details/dpMAln

Teaching in a University in Subang Jaya probably means either Taylor's University or INTI College. Both are usually filled with middle class Malaysian-Chinese students although Taylor's University might have richer kids there.
Subang Jaya is a pretty nice place to stay in. There's no shortage of good cheap food due to the number of students staying around there. Traffic is tolerable if you are going to drive, and there's a KTM Komuter station nearby if you don't.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

A few comical pics from my last trip:

Phnom Penh. The tiny text says "Plz wake up me!". Cute. :)

Rules of 'Nam, in the hotel.

Suitably dressed for 30-35 C temperatures.

Hehe

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

That picture of the two ladies in burqas reminds me. When Vietnam made wearing helmets legally required there was huge opposition from people on the basis that the country was too hot for it.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Pilsner posted:

Sorry but I refuse to believe that that goon farang thread is real.
Totally agree. All the events are like plausible, but the way he's experiencing them isn't.

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

Kind of a random question, but any idea what it might cost in Bangkok to replace a cracked screen and LCD on a Samsung S3? It's not just the screen - the LCD needs to be replaced as well.

Sneaky Fast
Apr 24, 2013

I paid $55 dollars

That was for an iPhone 5

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found

eviljelly posted:

Kind of a random question, but any idea what it might cost in Bangkok to replace a cracked screen and LCD on a Samsung S3? It's not just the screen - the LCD needs to be replaced as well.

The shop across the road from Choppers wanted 3000 baths (I hope you get the bath reference) to replace the glass on my iPhone 5.

I have no idea how relevant that is to an S3 in Bangkok, but I just wanted to talk about bathing 3000 times.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Planning my next big(ish) trip out of Bangkok: recommend me stuff to the south. My sketch of the trip at the moment is Phuket Town then Khao Lak, 3 days at each. Low budget. I like seeing interesting poo poo and snorkeling/diving.

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

Phuket Town can be interesting but has no snorkeling/diving. The rest of Phuket is a hive of scum and villainy and food poisoning and Russian sex/package tourists. Khao Lak itself doesn't have much in terms of diving - it's more a jumping off point to get to the Similans - but I heard it's a nice area for chillin'.

If you're looking to dive on the cheap, Koh Tao is good bang for your money (the going rate is about 900-1000 baht per dive, cheaper if you do a bunch of dives), although you'll pay a lot more for accommodations (dorms start at 250, very basic guesthouses start at 300).

I miss Thailand :(

Finch! posted:

The shop across the road from Choppers wanted 3000 baths (I hope you get the bath reference) to replace the glass on my iPhone 5.

I have no idea how relevant that is to an S3 in Bangkok, but I just wanted to talk about bathing 3000 times.

Everyone on that island could use about 3000 baths. Stinky islanders.

I miss Koh Tao :(

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The thai girl im still talking to now that im back at home calls the currency bath too, and ive seen signs that say it that way in country. Not as much of a joke as you may think??

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
The temple in Chiang Rai that briefly banned Chinese tourists because they were destroying the bathrooms has apparently decided that the best thing to do is to just build some Chinese only bathrooms and leave the old ones for Thais and farang.

http://www.straitstimes.com/news/asia/south-east-asia/story/thai-temple-build-separate-toilets-non-chinese-visitors-after-compla

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I lived in Phuket town for two years. It's not that interesting, really. The 'old town' has some nice Sino-Portugese houses if that sort of thing floats your boat, and check out Kao Rang hill for an awesome view over the island and an awesome setting for dinner. Go up around sunset, it's amazing.

There ARE lots of places on Phuket that don't live up to the stereotype. Just don't go to Patong, is my advice. Maybe for a night if you want to do some shopping or have a night out, but don't actually stay there for your whole trip. It's busy, smelly, full of fat old Russians (most of Phuket is full of fat old Russians to be honest) and expensive.

If you want something quieter, look further north on the island. Nai Yang beach is lovely and not that developed, with plenty of hotel options nearby. Nai Thon beach is out of the way, but it's stunning and never very busy.

The main issue I always had with Phuket when friends came to visit was the transportation. It's ridiculously expensive to get around if you don't have your own transport, and the taxi drivers are all horrible miserable criminal cunts. If you feel comfortable, just rent a motorbike and save yourself all the hassle. Phuket has some lovely driving, even if the roads do get busy. If you don't want to rent a bike, then get used to spending lots of money on taxis.

scunish
Feb 27, 2006

A doggy rescue!
Hi fellas, looking for some things-to-do-and-see tips. I haven't posted in this thread before, but have stolen tons of good travel ideas from various T&T threads in the past. My searches for cool things to do in Bali though are coming up with results mostly along the lines of "expect loud Australians" (they can't be worse than loud Americans though, right?) and "get girly boy hookers on the beach." So, can any of you who either have been, or are ex-pats there, recommend some places to see based off of the following info?

-We are both big, big, big on animals being treated humanely. But, we are also big on interacting with weird animals that we don't get to see in Southern California. We'd both love to ride an elephant, but from what I hear there's no way to really do that ethically - so are there any animal interaction-type-things that we can do and not want to stab eyes out?
-Old Temples/Ruins are always awesome for either one of us. Same goes for awesome scenic things - volcanoes, waterfalls, jungle treks, biking, kayaking.
-Jungle is way preferred over beach.
Things we are already planning:
-Kecak dance, of course. Not optional - but are some better than others? I'd totally pay to have my mind blown somewhere.
-Monkey forest/temple (any recommendations for best times/days to go?)
-Wandering/walking around ubud
-shoving in as many temples as we can
-MAYBE going to an animal park - if we can find one that treats animals humanely, etc. I've seen two that look promising, but both have elephants doing weird poo poo like painting pictures so I dunno. I'd rather see them doing normal elephant things.

We'll be traveling to Bali April 10-18. Staying in a single hotel for the entire trip, in Ubud. Our resort apparently has a shuttle that will take us anywhere. I'm not sure what "anywhere" means exactly - so if there are local drivers and/or tour guides that you know about, those would be great recommendations too. Thanks for any advice, hugely appreciated!

scunish fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Mar 3, 2015

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
The monkey forest you can visit in under an hour really. There are a bunch of other temples that are somewhat out of the way, you will need a taxi or hire a car and driver unless you are comfortable riding a motorbike. Ubud has many eat pray love type middle aged women. Stay away from Kuta unless you like drunk Australians. The volcano in the north is worth getting up early for.

scunish
Feb 27, 2006

A doggy rescue!
You got any temple suggestions? Out of the way is totally cool. Motorbike, driver, whatever works really. I hope the middle aged eat pray love thing wasn't supposed to endear me somehow, cuz I've neither read it nor seen the movie, but I guess I get what you're saying. Most importantly, talk to me about that volcano. Seriously!

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I'm having fun going around Koh Sichang on a moped and getting drunk.

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found

eviljelly posted:

Everyone on that island could use about 3000 baths. Stinky islanders.

I miss Koh Tao :(

There's something about rocking around in pants that haven't been washed in weeks, isn't there?

(hahaha who the gently caress wears pants?)

I'm heading back for a couple of weeks in June. A couple of friends from Adelaide are getting married in Samui and a couple of friends from Koh Tao are getting also getting married on Samui at the same time. I figure it's just impolite not to take a ferry for a couple of hours to say hi to all of my reprobate friends.

What are your movements? I still find it difficult to fathom how we have not had a beer or ten at some point. I mean, gently caress, we've probably been sitting next to one another in Banyan more than once.

Tautologicus posted:

The thai girl im still talking to now that im back at home calls the currency bath too, and ive seen signs that say it that way in country. Not as much of a joke as you may think??

It's an in joke - there's a Koh Tao community forum that I'm guessing eviljelly is a member of where there are a bunch of people exchanging a lot of bathing for various product and services. I think, at one point, there was an actual bath exchanged.

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

Finch! posted:

What are your movements? I still find it difficult to fathom how we have not had a beer or ten at some point. I mean, gently caress, we've probably been sitting next to one another in Banyan more than once.

Probably not, because I never go to that stinky bar.

I'm back in Vancouver these days, dreaming of island days which may never come again. Le sigh~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found

eviljelly posted:

Probably not, because I never go to that stinky bar.

I'm back in Vancouver these days, dreaming of island days which may never come again. Le sigh~

Psh.

I might be in Vancouver again later this year. Dunno yet. I think I'm still recovering from my adventures there before Christmas.