Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Angry Grimace posted:

I was told by others that its because White is not allowed to remove Planeswalkers. Despite the fact that Banishing Light totally lets you do that.

to the color pie guru baker mr rosewater banishing light is a starkly different kind of effect from utter end

I mean obviously to some extent the effects are different but it's kind of weird to assume that they aren't effectively the same a majority of the time, like, nobody ever treated o-ring as like, not a vindicate. Even if O-ring is conceptually not permanent while utter end is, in terms of actual resource exchange it's pretty much the same.

Of course to maro thats a development thing and not a design thing I guess.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Mar 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!
From the last thread:

One Deadman posted:

The way Exploit is worded is kinda weird to me?

Instead of using "if" they used "when", so It kinda makes me think there will be way to get multiple exploit triggers?
Exploit is a triggered ability that occurs when the creature enters the battlefield, not a replacement one that happens as it enters. If it were, creatures wouldn't be able to exploit themselves. Given that it is a triggered ability, you have to make another triggered ability that goes off when the exploit happens.

Also, Strionic Resonator is a thing they have to keep into account in eternal formats. Remember when Duplicant could have two P/T scores?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Zemyla posted:

From the last thread:

Exploit is a triggered ability that occurs when the creature enters the battlefield, not a replacement one that happens as it enters. If it were, creatures wouldn't be able to exploit themselves. Given that it is a triggered ability, you have to make another triggered ability that goes off when the exploit happens.

Also, Strionic Resonator is a thing they have to keep into account in eternal formats. Remember when Duplicant could have two P/T scores?

Wizards doesn't test with eternal formats in mind.

Santheb
Jul 13, 2005

I'm not sure if this is the right thread for a question like this, so if it isn't, please forgive me.

A friend I play Magic with and I decided to do a pauper style deck building with the exceptions being two non duplicate uncommons and two duplicate rares. Just something to spice up our usual duels I guess.

Anyway, I built a nice Boros + bloodrush deck that I think will do well, I played it a few times versus another friend and it drew pretty well and did what I expected it would. Not as many Batallion procs as I would've liked but it's okay, bloodrush proved to be pretty effective.

The "format" is basically no more than two non duplicate rares and two non duplicate uncommons, with only basic lands. I've got a ton of commons from many different sets, I'm just having trouble picking a concept for a cool deck built around such a format. I'd love any suggestions or really any input on this. I'm trying to stay away from both red and white because of my Boros deck, but Orzhov does sound interesting.

I'd appreciate any input on this, and I know it looks like it but I'm not asking for a card by card list of a deck to build. Just if there was like, a cool ability from a certain series or something that might be fun to play, maybe point me in that direction :)

About to go delve through my library again, we'll see what happens. In any event, a dumb format like this definitely puts a new spin on the deckbuilding I'm familiar with so it's kinda fun.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

TheKingofSprings posted:

Wizards doesn't test with eternal formats in mind.

No, but they do make sure the game rules don't literally snap in half when new cards are released. I'm pretty sure Strionic Resonator is one of the cards they test cards on just to avoid any future Duplicants.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Santheb posted:

I'm not sure if this is the right thread for a question like this, so if it isn't, please forgive me.

A friend I play Magic with and I decided to do a pauper style deck building with the exceptions being two non duplicate uncommons and two duplicate rares. Just something to spice up our usual duels I guess.

Anyway, I built a nice Boros + bloodrush deck that I think will do well, I played it a few times versus another friend and it drew pretty well and did what I expected it would. Not as many Batallion procs as I would've liked but it's okay, bloodrush proved to be pretty effective.

The "format" is basically no more than two non duplicate rares and two non duplicate uncommons, with only basic lands. I've got a ton of commons from many different sets, I'm just having trouble picking a concept for a cool deck built around such a format. I'd love any suggestions or really any input on this. I'm trying to stay away from both red and white because of my Boros deck, but Orzhov does sound interesting.

I'd appreciate any input on this, and I know it looks like it but I'm not asking for a card by card list of a deck to build. Just if there was like, a cool ability from a certain series or something that might be fun to play, maybe point me in that direction :)

About to go delve through my library again, we'll see what happens. In any event, a dumb format like this definitely puts a new spin on the deckbuilding I'm familiar with so it's kinda fun.

You can play Storm with ANT which seems kind of insane.

Santheb
Jul 13, 2005

rabidsquid posted:

You can play Storm with ANT which seems kind of insane.

I don't have either of those cards on hand unfortunately and my phone auto corrected me into posting that we can have two duplicate rares. What I meant was two non duplicate rares :/

For what it's worth, I wasn't trying to dump money into this unless it really completes a deck. It seems like it's going against the spirit of the whole thing if I do. If the rare is like two dollars though...I don't think anybody would be none the wiser though :)

Santheb fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Mar 3, 2015

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Santheb posted:

I don't have either of those cards on hand unfortunately and my phone auto corrected me into posting that we can have two duplicate rares. What I meant was two non duplicate rates :/

Ad Nauseam and Tendrils of Agony are both singletons. Deck would be a little more sketchy without the tutors in Pauper but it runs a good amount of cantrips.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Goblin Sharpshooter +Basilisk Collar

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
edit: nevermind, Google is a powerful tool

MiddleEastBeast fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Mar 3, 2015

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

STiL. posted:

My absolute favourite thing about spoiler season is everyone going absolute batshit about new cards, presumably so that when Standard Playable Chase Rare is playable they can look at their posts and pat themselves on the back for being how right they were.

This is incorrect since this thread has proven time and again it cannot properly gauge card merit.

Santheb
Jul 13, 2005

MiddleEastBeast posted:

edit: nevermind, Google is a powerful tool

I understand this, but please don't deny me input. I swear, I'm a sponge, I just need a little input :)

Symphonie
Dec 24, 2010

lol just flamestrike it idk

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Haha I looked at that card, glossed over it thinking it cost 7, and then realized it cost 5!

Even if it's not (constructed) playable they are definitely pushing how fast dragons hit the board, I guess.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

This counts creatures, right?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

mr. mephistopheles posted:

This counts creatures, right?

Yes.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
Holy poo poo that thing is funny. Strike-proof in the best way.

I'm also sad Silumgar lost Hexproof. :saddowns:

Minority Deport
Mar 28, 2010

Translation from MTGSalvation:

(Silumgar's Assasin) 1B
Creature - Human Assassin Rare
Creatures with power greater than ~'s power can't block it.
Megamorph 2B
When ~ is turned face up, destroy target creature with power 3 or less an opponent controls.
2/1

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
Look like it's a rare cycle (of 2/1s for 2?), then.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Did Taurean Mauler ever see play for reasons outside of being a Changeling?

Minority Deport posted:

(Silumgar's Assasin) 1B
Megamorph 2B
When ~; is turned face up, destroy target creature with power 3 or less an opponent controls.
2/1

So, if there is a cycle of these guys, are we looking at Multi-color Green decks feat. Whisperwood and Mastery of the Unseen being more of a thing?

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

So, if there is a cycle of these guys, are we looking at Multi-color Green decks feat. Whisperwood and Mastery of the Unseen being more of a thing?

Not without a lot of support for them, this guy is still pretty costly to kill a creature if the whole Whisperwood thing doesn't work out. The reason that card sees play is because it's just value out the wazoo.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

STiL. posted:

Is anyone else... unexcited about the flavour of this set? Not necessarily about Neckbeard the Dragonspeaker searching for his waifu that he met the one time, but about the set as a whole. Since the conclusion of the story-arc concerning Ugin already happened, what story is there left to tell?

Just in time for the switch to two set blocks!

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Minority Deport posted:

(Silumgar's Assasin) 1B
Megamorph 2B
When ~ is turned face up, destroy target creature with power 3 or less an opponent controls.
2/1

I really like this card; I wonder if the red one is a one-drop.

Mayostard
Apr 21, 2007

In the Chamber of Understanding
How rare are Mythic Rares? I decided to return to the game and bought the Red/White FRF theme deck with 5 boosters. I pulled 3 Mythics including Ugin.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Mayostard posted:

How rare are Mythic Rares? I decided to return to the game and bought the Red/White FRF theme deck with 5 boosters. I pulled 3 Mythics including Ugin.

One pack in eight has a mythic instead of rare.

Individual rare is twice as common as an individual mythic.

(Edit: Longer explanation to the latter point: rares and mythics are printed as a sheet of 121 cards where the individual cards are cut from. For a big set like Khans of Tarkir, the sheet has two runs of the 53 rares, plus one run of the 15 mythics, for the total of 121 cards and a ratio of 2:1 of each rare to mythic.)

Lunsku fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Mar 3, 2015

Mayostard
Apr 21, 2007

In the Chamber of Understanding

Lunsku posted:

One pack in eight has a mythic instead of rare.

Individual rare is twice as common as an individual mythic.

(Edit: Longer explanation to the latter point: rares and mythics are printed as a sheet of 121 cards where the individual cards are cut from. For a big set like Khans of Tarkir, the sheet has two runs of the 53 rares, plus one run of the 15 mythics, for the total of 121 cards and a ratio of 2:1 of each rare to mythic.)

I see, so it's not like the old games of the early 2000's where the top rarity level is roughly one or two in a box.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

AlternateNu posted:

Did Taurean Mauler ever see play for reasons outside of being a Changeling?

Taurean Mauler saw some play in aggressive red decks. I don't think this dragon will because it's a 5 drop that doesn't do anything immediately and doesn't protect itself, but it's a really cool card and absurd in limited.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Mayostard posted:

I see, so it's not like the old games of the early 2000's where the top rarity level is roughly one or two in a box.

Yeah but not everything at Mythic is super great. It's mostly just the Planeswalkers and maybe 1 or 2 others.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

And then you get the stuff nobody expects to be good but turns out is, like Kiora and Keranos.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I like both of those new cards.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

And then you get the stuff nobody expects to be good but turns out is, like Kiora and Keranos.

I honestly thought Kiora had a lot of fantastic potential to begin with, a lot of people did. Keranos though, I don't think anyone could have predicted him showing up in multiple eternal formats.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
Pretty rare. Last I heard about one in every eight boosters. Sometimes you just get lucky. I pulled two pack jaces from worldwake playing the jace lottery.

Edit: darn it, why do I respond to threads that I open and then don't look at for a few minutes before refreshing?

CountFosco fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Mar 3, 2015

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Ramos posted:

I honestly thought Kiora had a lot of fantastic potential to begin with. Keranos though, I don't think anyone could have predicted him showing up in multiple eternal formats.

I dabbled with her for a long time, and I really enjoy what she brings to the table.

I did have a situation where my opponent of Abzan Midrange had a Rhino and a Caryatid out, and I had Kiora and a Knuckleblade with countermagic backup for removal, and every time I would just swing with Knux, he wouldn't block because then I pump it and kill his Rhino, and then second main plus Kiora and his Rhino couldn't do dick until my turn in which I did it again.

Her main problem is that doesn't work nearly as well against multiple threats. I love playing her but she's kind of a situational walker.

Still better than Ral Zarek, unfortunately.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Count Bleck posted:

Speaking as someone who's more pessimistic than most about new cards, I thought Kiora was a fine card. Keranos, no, I did not think he was eternal playable.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Count Bleck posted:

Still better than Ral Zarek, unfortunately.
Try playing Ral in cube. He fukken owns if you get the deck he goes into.

And also illustrates the reason he was pretty iffy in standard - not exactly a lot of karoos, basalt monoliths or worn powerstones hanging around for him to untap there. You really need that untap ability to be more useful to get full value out of the card.

But Keranos, yeah, I was totally shocked (might even say bolted) at his playability. He just looks like a total do-nothing. It's nice to be wrong about some of the Gods, though. They ended up going to weird places. Karametra saw more play than Mogis, for example.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I knew when Keranos came out he was good, but I thought he would be great in Standard. I opened one and bought out my store's set at 5 bucks at the end of June, then used them to splash red in my Mono U Devotion deck. I ended up running Purph as well for triple God action. I loved that deck.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp
I'm not that surprised at Keranos being playable- he seems comparable to staff of nin, only harder to remove. You're getting roughly 1.5 damage and 0.5 cards per turn instead of 1 and 1, but still.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I don't think many people would've been that surprised if Keranos was Standard playable, but playable in older formats kind of blindsided a lot of us.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...
Keranos so good. Played against twin at SCG Baltimore, he blood mooned me then slammed a keranos, I just watched him slowly kill me for many turns while I top decked garbage. Oh well, if you can't beat them, join them. I'm in on the Twin train now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Incredibly useless looking "Mythic"

:siren: NEW COMMAND CYCLE :siren:

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Mar 3, 2015

• Locked thread