Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Weird Uncle Dave
Sep 2, 2003

I could do this all day.

Buglord
Assuming you really do have clear line-of-sight (i.e. you can get a few feet above any intervening buildings or trees), that should be just fine. It may be a bit tricky to get the two antennas lined up perfectly, since those radios have a relatively "narrow" beam, but it's very doable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
And should be relatively stable. I don't think there's a need for dual wan routers which is way out of your budget anyways for how you're planning on using them unless you do some microtik deal and have some networking knowedge

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The only thing I'd do is put your friend on a separate VLAN so you don't have the broadcast traffic from two houses travelling over a 2.5 mile long wireless link, and it protects your network if someone plugs a router in backwards and starts serving DHCP. If you have something doing VLANs then you also have a firewall so you can allow as much or as little access between the two networks as you like.

I haven't used the Ubiquiti stuff for anything other than quite short links in WDS mode to carry VLANs, but there are probably options on the radios to block broadcast traffic and basic firewalling features.

wwb
Aug 17, 2004

Is this an appropriate place for questions about 3g/4g repeaters?

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

You could try

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Small commentary/rant: I've been playing recently with a fairly good sized Meraki installation, and while the cloud management config is very (very) nice, I got to say that I can't recommend it to any corporate installation that might have some customization needs.

- It's basically your home router on serious levels of steroids. There is very little in terms of NAT/Routing features beyond my home asus firewall. The bandwidth control is nice though (but I've got that in my home box too).

- If you stop paying the ongoing support, the boxes brick themselves! Yes, your network goes down.

- Support can and will packet sniff your internal network (when working out issues). That's right, remotely triggered packet sniffing! Hope you don't have compliance issues.

- Odd ball wifi issues (connectivity issues, APs auto power themselves to the lowest settings, etc). More than other Ubiquity/Ruckus installs that I've come across.

The upside - I can see Meraki being great in a place with one or more remote (smaller) offices that don't have special internet needs beyond surfing and the like - and have a good ongoing IT budget. That it does exceptionally well.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
I agree with a lot of what you said - we use Meraki for our remote offices because our IT staff are in one state out of the six we have offices in. It's a lot easier to pop on to the Meraki dashboard and check on things/make adjustments than pay some contractor to go on site whenever someone has a problem. I agree the licensing/bricking themselves thing is a bit poo poo but it works out to like $50/year per AP on the five year licenses so I can't really complain, we save way more than that in labor costs compared to what we were doing before. I certainly wouldn't recommend it for any medium- or large-sized business but if you have remote offices and a small IT staff its definitely something to consider.

Ubiquity is next on my list of things to look at once I've got some spare budget to throw at hardware.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
I've got a smallish campus with four UAPs on a 3.2.1 controller. Nothing fancy, just one main and one guest SSID.

Is there any reason why I shouldn't/couldn't upgrade the controller software right to 4.6.0 and update the APs?

All documentation seems to show that it'd go just fine, but I'm here for a sanity check.

Thank you.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

E: My answer didn't help , sorry

I just had a general comment along the lines of "if it ain't broke", as updates tend to break new things too.

Partycat fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Feb 25, 2015

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014

Tapedump posted:

I've got a smallish campus with four UAPs on a 3.2.1 controller. Nothing fancy, just one main and one guest SSID.

Is there any reason why I shouldn't/couldn't upgrade the controller software right to 4.6.0 and update the APs?

All documentation seems to show that it'd go just fine, but I'm here for a sanity check.

Thank you.
I think especially if you're not running any of the new ubnt hardware, there's not really a reason.

The impression I get is that the newer controller is supposed to integrate more of the switches, phones, etc. that Ubiquiti is putting out now. If you just have 4 regular ol UAPs, I wouldn't bother.

netw1z
Oct 19, 2008
. . .
So HP have acquired Aruba Networks. As someone who has had the great misfortune of working with HP wireless equipment before (following on from their Colubris purchase), and spent the past year or so transitioning everything away from HP MSM over to Aruba, I'm very unhappy about this. The general commentary online seems very much in the vein of "RIP Aruba" -- in fact I don't think I've seen one positive comment, and I'm not at all surprised.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

HP manage to completely gently caress up everything they acquire.

Dell aren't much better. They both seem to buy a company, half-rear end integrate it and then move on to the next acquisition when they get bored.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Anonymous Coward posted:

So HP have acquired Aruba Networks. As someone who has had the great misfortune of working with HP wireless equipment before (following on from their Colubris purchase), and spent the past year or so transitioning everything away from HP MSM over to Aruba, I'm very unhappy about this. The general commentary online seems very much in the vein of "RIP Aruba" -- in fact I don't think I've seen one positive comment, and I'm not at all surprised.

The big conference today seemed to assuage some of this

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I'm getting some new UniFi APs for an expansion floor we're getting and I'm wondering about mounting them. Having 5db omnidirectional antennas I understand the radiation pattern is fairly toroidal. Does this entirely preclude mounting to walls? Mounting to the ceiling is going to be tricky due to ductwork getting in the way. I want to make sure we make the best use of these possible because this is kind of a pilot program.

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

I would mount them on the ceiling parallel to the floor. It may be a pain in the rear end but if you stick them on the wall your perpendicular to the floor your reception is probably going to be poo poo outside of a rather small area.

Alternatively you could attach some small shelves to the wall and mount an AP on each one so the APs are still parallel to the floor. I had to do something like this when I deployed wifi in a large warehouse a while back because the only thing to mount anything on was the structural steel of the building.

Antillie fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Mar 26, 2015

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Antillie posted:

I would mount them on the ceiling parallel to the floor. It may be a pain in the rear end but if you stick them on the wall your perpendicular to the floor your reception is probably going to be poo poo outside of a rather small area.

Alternatively you could attach some small shelves to the wall and mount an AP on each one so the APs are still parallel to the floor. I had to do something like this when I deployed wifi in a large warehouse a while back because the only thing to mount anything on was the structural steel of the building.

Parallel to the floor? I thought the antenna on them went length-wise of the unit, meaning you would want to place them perpendicular. Is that not the case?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Radiation patterns tend to be either toroidal or cardioid in shape. Ceiling mounting is the best option the majority of the time.

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

Assuming you have the little rounds ones the antenna is shaped like a doughnut. So if they are on the ceiling you want to be looking straight through the doughnut hole if you stand underneath one and look up at it. Which would be mounting the unit parallel to the floor lengthwise.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Interesting. I always assumed they had a two normal antennas in the unit. Guess I will need to do some adjusting. I have some ceiling mounted but purposefully stood then upright in the dropped ceiling. Thanks for the detailed answer. Silly they don't publish this info.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Antillie posted:

Assuming you have the little rounds ones the antenna is shaped like a doughnut. So if they are on the ceiling you want to be looking straight through the doughnut hole if you stand underneath one and look up at it. Which would be mounting the unit parallel to the floor lengthwise.

I'm guessing the ACs have the same pattern even though the casing is square?

Edit: I found this in the stuff they filed with the FCC. Seems to confirm the pattern is the same for the ACs. https://apps.fcc.gov/eas/GetApplicationAttachment.html?id=1929721

Chickenwalker fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Mar 26, 2015

Fly
Nov 3, 2002

moral compass

Antillie posted:

If you've opened a Unifi AP, you'll find they have two little bent-metal antenas mounted on the board. There's no doughnut. It's just a single board with antennas mounted on the board itself.

Fly
Nov 3, 2002

moral compass

Fly posted:

If you've opened a Unifi AP, you'll find they have two little bent-metal antenas mounted on the board. There's no doughnut. It's just a single board with antennas mounted on the board itself.

Like so.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

You know the outdoor model has external antennas, right? Just get that.

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

I should correct myself. The wifi coverage pattern roughly resembles a doughnut. Disc really, but that's how I like to think of it.

Fly
Nov 3, 2002

moral compass
Even with two little antennas, the Unifi AP does a good job. The Long Range version does an even better job though I haven't opened one of those.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

What Ubiquity gear (or other brand maybe) can do a 33km link with 140ft towers at each side, line of sight (open country, no cities or towns in the way).

We currently have 15 year old redline equipment doing the link that we're looking to replace. The redline equipment drops the link at the slightest temperature inversion.

kiwid fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Apr 24, 2015

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
What kind of bandwidth are you looking for? How many MHz do you have to use? Are you co-located with any other providers? How much do you want to spend? How critical is the link?

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Nitr0 posted:

What kind of bandwidth are you looking for? How many MHz do you have to use? Are you co-located with any other providers? How much do you want to spend? How critical is the link?

Bandwidth: 5mbit minimum?
Frequency: 5GHZ (license free)
Colocation: No, but we have 140 foot towers at each location.
Cost: $5k or less
Critical: Yes, it needs to be up during business hours or the branch has to fall back to paper and pen and causes a shitstorm with the executives.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
If you're going cheap. AF5x / ePMP Force 110.

If you're going medium cost. Airfiber 5's

If you're going maximum reliability. PTP650

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

The Air Fiber 5's look pretty cool, might give those a go.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Thread related question:
I have ~15 locations with between 1 and 10 AP's each. It's a complete mess- hardware from every vendor and nothing quite works. I've had a rather poor experience with a Powercloud AP's and would prefer to avoid paying monthly for a subscription service. I would like the ability to use centralized management, but not initially due to network constraints (the next part). We do have heavy wifi users that would benefit from AC. With all of that in mind, what can you recommend?

Since we don't have a enterprise networking thread:
I'm standardizing equipment across 15 locations, starting with our HQ. It's a pretty much tear-out scenario here of all switchgear (HP) and AP's (Powercloud). Our other offices are a mix of Cisco/Dell/HP. The only standardized bit are our Checkpoint firewalls. For our HQ, I have two floors with 196 ports each, and a mix of 1GB, POE, and 10GB- but this does not include the 8 racks of gear that need 10GB/1GB. I started looking at Juniper's EX4200/4550 series due to their virtual chassis and lego like ability to expand. I fully expect high utilization due to our business (imagery), we mainly deal in thousands of 25-250MB images per job. I would take full advantage of the (2) 10GB uplinks on each switch back to the cores (the 4200's won't be that heavily taxed, but might as well use it). Thankfully I have two OM3 cables between the floors, and a single mode run to our dmark. Has anyone used these in production? A friends business uses them exclusively for their DC's and just can't say enough good things about them. My other option is to look at the Cisco 4506-E and Nexus 7010 like one of our larger offices use- but all their gear is several years old and I would like to move away from the no-redundancy way they setup everything up. I'm sure there's plenty of features/models I'm missing and any recommendations are welcome. I'm going to start looking at Cisco's equivalents tonight.

the spyder fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Apr 30, 2015

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures
Upfront disclosure: I work for the vendor I am about to recommend.

I think that Zebra's WLAN offerings could potentially be of interest to you. If you haven't heard of us before, we used to be Motorola Solutions, and prior to that we were Symbol Technologies.

Our APs have the ability to operate as a "Local controller" for sites of up to 24 APs. This allows one AP to act as the central control point for all APs at the site, removing the need for you to manage each AP individually. When you are ready to move to a centralized management model, you can look into either one of our unified access platforms, or you can stand up the unified access software as a VM somewhere. If you are familiar with Cisco switches, our CLI will seem very familiar to you, as our model is very IOS'like in terms of the command structure.

You can check out some more info on our product line here https://www.zebra.com/us/en/products/networks/wireless-lan.html and I would be happy to answer any questions you have to the best of my ability.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Frabba posted:

Upfront disclosure: I work for the vendor I am about to recommend.

I think that Zebra's WLAN offerings could potentially be of interest to you. If you haven't heard of us before, we used to be Motorola Solutions, and prior to that we were Symbol Technologies.

Our APs have the ability to operate as a "Local controller" for sites of up to 24 APs. This allows one AP to act as the central control point for all APs at the site, removing the need for you to manage each AP individually. When you are ready to move to a centralized management model, you can look into either one of our unified access platforms, or you can stand up the unified access software as a VM somewhere. If you are familiar with Cisco switches, our CLI will seem very familiar to you, as our model is very IOS'like in terms of the command structure.

You can check out some more info on our product line here https://www.zebra.com/us/en/products/networks/wireless-lan.html and I would be happy to answer any questions you have to the best of my ability.

Just to expand on this from a vendor-neutral point of view, the common term for this is "clustering" APs. I haven't worked with those APs since they were still Motorola but back then, they supported almost every function that the discrete controller did (the exceptions were stuff most small companies won't run into). Aruba is another option that does the same thing if you want to look at multiple vendors.

Cisco has them too, but the feature set is much more limited.

Maybe Adtran (used to be Bluesocket)? The controller runs in a VM, so if you have a VMware server somewhere, you're good to go (doesn't need to be on the same network - you can centrally control the whole system over the WAN). Maybe a bit too expensive, though.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Apr 30, 2015

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

The OP has been updated and I refreshed the links, since businesses seem to think it's a good idea to not have consistent URLs every year. :sigh:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I evaluated a couple of those 10GB Junipers and really liked them, but left the organization before they went into production so I don't have any actual in-use experience with them. I do remember finding them to be excellent for the price point, though.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

the spyder posted:

Since we don't have a enterprise networking thread:

This thread is pretty much that. It's not just for Cisco.

the spyder take a look at Meraki APs. Easy to configure and manage, and they work well.

As for Zebra APs, nothing personal Frabba but they're the bane of our existence. Once we get the money for a hardware refresh we're going to have an Office Space copier day with them.

less than three fucked around with this message at 06:32 on May 4, 2015

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I get on well with Aerohive gear.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Bluesocket is alright, and the sort of stuff I'd think about putting into a SMB. The controller runs from a VM, yes, but there are also ways to setup the AP to operate sans-controller if you're doing locally switched networks or not RADIUS or other things. Otherwise keep the controller up.

I have some of their N APs and they're okay but a bit odd sometimes in their behaviour when setting them up. Performance wise they seem okay, but I run them at LAN events with 150+ PCs and bullshit going so that's pretty hard to do anyways (poor SNR with all the hash). I may go N on 2.4GHz and pepper the poo poo out of the event area with 802.11a 5GHz to see if that helps, cause that's just what I have on hand.

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures

less than three posted:

As for Zebra APs, nothing personal Frabba but they're the bane of our existence. Once we get the money for a hardware refresh we're going to have an Office Space copier day with them.

I totally understand the feeling when technology isn't working properly. If you have PMs, I'd be very interest to hear what your issues with the equipment are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

kiwid posted:

What Ubiquity gear (or other brand maybe) can do a 33km link with 140ft towers at each side, line of sight (open country, no cities or towns in the way).

We currently have 15 year old redline equipment doing the link that we're looking to replace. The redline equipment drops the link at the slightest temperature inversion.

As others have said, airFiber 5X with an appropriate antenna at each end. 140ft towers over that distance put you well clear of fresnel zone interference - http://www.proxim.com/products/knowledge-center/calculations/calculations-fresnel-clearance-zone#feet, just check for trees if you're doing 5GHz.

• Locked thread