Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beeez
May 28, 2012
He's a talented guy, but yeah, he seems like a huge douche every time I see or hear of him in a non-performing capacity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

His comment about being underpaid at The Simpsons was particularly off-putting. Like dude, I understand you're saying in comparison to the unthinkable amount of money the Simpsons makes for FOX each year, you're underpaid. But when you've been making about 5+ million a season for the last 15 seasons, just smile and cash your checks.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

There's an interview he does with Howard Stern where he describes himself as "the turd in the punch bowl", and he's very candid about how much of a dick he is. It's a great interview, plus he did one with Stern about 15 years ago about how he's one of the elite few to have seen " The Day the Clown Cried". Despite how you might feel about Stern, they're both great listens if you can find them on YouTube.

substitute
Aug 30, 2003

you for my mum

You Am I posted:

Even the way he talked about former comedy partners left me with a bad taste. It's obvious that he loves burning bridges. God only knows how The Simpsons staff, Michael McKean and Christopher Guest deal with him

As lukewarm water.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

You Am I posted:

Even the way he talked about former comedy partners left me with a bad taste. It's obvious that he loves burning bridges. God only knows how The Simpsons staff, Michael McKean and Christopher Guest deal with him

Guest is noted for being a dour snob himself.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I haven't had much enjoyment from Le Show lately, so I've been skipping them, but Shearer's series on Nixon sounds interesting. Some of his stuff is kinda hard to reach or flat out tired, but Nixon's a pretty good treasury of comedy, and playing his tapes straight sounds like my kind of thing. I always liked Dick Cheney: Confidential.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Oh yeah of course Shearer is a dick, he just seems to have accepted it and I think it was refreshingly honest to have someone talk about their lovely reputation and just say that yes, I am a pain to get on with. He strikes me as someone who's probably a perfectionist, which is why SNL sounded like a nightmare for someone like him, and seems to have a bit of a chip for anyone he thinks has hosed him over.

Guest is a pretty dour fucker himself so I can't imagine what it's like to be in a room with them both. Poor Michael McKean.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

His comment about being underpaid at The Simpsons was particularly off-putting. Like dude, I understand you're saying in comparison to the unthinkable amount of money the Simpsons makes for FOX each year, you're underpaid. But when you've been making about 5+ million a season for the last 15 seasons, just smile and cash your checks.

Yeah, he only brought up The Simpsons for 30 seconds when prompted, and that was just to bring up a pay dispute. It's no secret he's bitter over the fact that his voice-over career will immortalize him and not his tepid political comedy for the NPR crowd.

AlliedBiscuit
Oct 23, 2012

Do you want to know the terrifying truth, or do you want to see me sock a few dingers?!!

DrVenkman posted:

Oh yeah of course Shearer is a dick, he just seems to have accepted it and I think it was refreshingly honest to have someone talk about their lovely reputation and just say that yes, I am a pain to get on with. He strikes me as someone who's probably a perfectionist, which is why SNL sounded like a nightmare for someone like him, and seems to have a bit of a chip for anyone he thinks has hosed him over.

Guest is a pretty dour fucker himself so I can't imagine what it's like to be in a room with them both. Poor Michael McKean.

I went to a Q&A with Eugene Levy and he was the same way. So serious about comedy and not remotely funny when not performing.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I really enjoyed Marc's interview with Henry Winkler. Henry's family history was pretty amazing to listen to, especially the way his father smuggled his wife and other things out of Nazi Germany

real_slime
Apr 21, 2015

by Lowtax
I'm still in my full listening phase of WTF, but I only listen when it's either someone I've heard of, a comedian, or who the blurb text interests me. Usually I skip episodes with musicians, cos I don't really want to know what musicians have to say for some reason. Weird.

Anyway, Marc is both a thing I tolerate and appreciate on this show. On the one hand, the great long interviews which give you a lot of insight into what people do and think might not happen elsewhere and he does prod people into getting more personal
and give a better sense of where they came from, but on the other hand he is very fixated on viewing things through his own experience and is occasionally pretty rude and off-putting with people. It seems like he has a blind spot where he doesn't realise
he is coming off horribly and the person he is talking to is annoyed by him - like, I was pretty excited to find the Tig Notaro episode in the backlog a while back, and then had to turn it off a little bit in because Marc was making it so awkward by bumblingly
being the exact kind of guy she was in the middle of complaining about.

I'm probably over-sensitive about this kind of thing, but I have a hard time powering through awkward conversations when one person doesn't really realise there is a problem. I mean, real conversations, not scripted.

I skip the first 10-20 minute intro chunk almost without fail. I only ever listen to it if I forget to skip over it when I put it on and am not really paying attention yet. Marc's a pretty boring person and he isn't that funny either, so there is rarely anything
worth listening to. Also he says stuff so regularly that I have a kneejerk 'what a loving prick' reaction to. He's kinda phony, it's like he tries to put out this sincerity angle to distract from that. Good thing is, sometimes that's enough to get people
who actually are sincere talking.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

I'm kinda with you on that. I went through a phase where I really identified with and appreciated his struggles but now I'm not so much interested as slightly annoyed. I don't know if that's because his act has gone stale or my tastes have moved on. Probably the tipping point for me was ep. 500. It felt wrong to hear that whole conversation with his dad. Opportunistic like. I think at best he is a sorta-repentant narcissist. I root for him though and I hope he continues to book interesting guests ( Really dug the Kim Gordon interview).

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
It probably doesn't help that he's pretty loving successful now. He's got his own show in his own name on IFC that's on its 3rd season. He's pretty well known at this point.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Hasn't that always been the case with marc though real_slime? He is both brilliant and flawed which is what makes him interesting. I really appreciate his take on life. I find it hilarious that loads of his interviews start off with him apologising for being a idiot to the person in public.

I will have to re listen to the tig episode though.

real_slime
Apr 21, 2015

by Lowtax

Jippa posted:

Hasn't that always been the case with marc though real_slime? He is both brilliant and flawed which is what makes him interesting. I really appreciate his take on life. I find it hilarious that loads of his interviews start off with him apologising for being a idiot to the person in public.

I will have to re listen to the tig episode though.

Oh yeah, it's always been the case, I just can't really stand listening to him either being oblivious about something or tonedeaf about the fact he is irritating the person he is interviewing. I don't think he's 'brilliant' really, he's a good interviewer and an okay stand-up who has hit upon this really good formula for interviews and usually covers subject matter that is easily relatable and interesting, at least to me. He's just kind of a prick, also.

Like I dunno, there's loads of little things. I can't remember long term, but recently I guess during the interview with Alex Karpovsky somewhere in it he keeps prodding him to do this Russian caricature he did in GTAV. When he did that first I was like, come on Marc, how about people come up to you on the street and demand you perform jokes for them personally, and also, oh right, you get all giggly at hearing hilarious eastern european accents, I guess. Alex was obviously not interested in doing it. This didn't derail the whole interview or anything it's just one of those examples when I'm like 'Marc shut the gently caress up...'. Then in the recent Michael Imperioli episode he asks him if he's any good at guitar in a kind of obnoxious way, Michael seems at bit annoyed about the way he came at the question, and Marc's like 'what? WHAT?'. He just doesn't really seem to get that he is being annoying in the moment, makes things awkward sometimes.

That's not really getting into the fakey insightful bullshit he goes on about sometimes in his intros, which is why I started skipping them. Anyway I don't wanna just rail against him. Overall I like his show a lot, but I don't like him. It's a weird opinion to have I guess.

Villain's Mask
Nov 28, 2004

This post he typed in cold blood with a toothpick
For what it's worth, I don't think your opinion is that uncommon. I know I find him really annoying at times, even in interviews I otherwise like. A lot of people who have posted in this thread would probably agree or have a similar opinion to yours.

Enrico Furby
Jun 28, 2003

by Hand Knit
I thought of this thread's earlier discussion about Marc's creepface.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Lantern jaw and five head, together at last.

Their baby is going look like Mac Tonight.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

The Terry Gross interview was pretty great. It's definitely worth a listen.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

AFewBricksShy posted:

The David Byrne interview was pretty great. It's definitely worth a listen.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I usually give him the benefit of the doubt when it comes to music interviews. If I know and like or am at least interested in the artist, I'll listen, he's very good with musicians.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

The Byrne interview was good, because I was expecting David to just shut up and go cold when Maron started asking him about the break up of Talking Heads and whether Byrne still talks to the ex-members. However Byrne was pretty decent, and kept on going.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
The Terry Gross interview was fun. I learned a bit about her and it was nice to hear Maron actually challenge a guest but in a playful way.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I felt like Marc could barely contain his disappointment that Hayley Joel Osment was not some hosed-up former child star. He seemed like a nice down to earth guy who had good parents.

theradiostillsucks
Feb 3, 2006

I am the undisputed king of an infinite amount of nothing, don't correct me when I'm wrong, I'm proud to wear the crown of fools
Marc being disappointed in other people doing okay in their lives is sort of his shtick.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I think it just makes for a really bland interview most of the time unless the person is incredibly interesting and can discuss other topics.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I didn't mind the interview with Haley Joel, he seemed interesting enough, but you could tell Marc was hoping for some off the rails stuff

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Jippa posted:

I think it just makes for a really bland interview most of the time unless the person is incredibly interesting and can discuss other topics.

To be fair Osment brings up politics at the end and Marc briefly livens up, so if he hadn't kept trying to find dirt he might've got a better interview out of it. I just thought it was hilarious that Maron seemed insistent on getting to the bottom of this whole Osment thing and was clearly disappointed when he turned out to be normal.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.
I forgot how charismatic I find Mike Watt. I'm not sure if someone who isn't a fan will like it, but it was definitely one of my favorite episodes in a long time.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
I recommend the Kurt Metzger interview.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes

Piquai Souban posted:

I recommend the Kurt Metzger interview.

Thanks. The first episode I listened in probably 2 years. It was very good.

Willeh
Jun 25, 2003

God hates a coward

Billy Gnosis posted:

I forgot how charismatic I find Mike Watt. I'm not sure if someone who isn't a fan will like it, but it was definitely one of my favorite episodes in a long time.

Marc touches on it during the end, if you already know how the guy talks you're probably ok. Could be an uphill battle otherwise, but I too thought it was one of my favorite interviews.

Mst3kmann
Aug 8, 2005

FOREST WHITAKER EYE
Marc tweeted he had a big announcement on today's show and he wasn't kidding.

Obama in the garage

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Holy poo poo.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

That's one hell of an announcement!

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Well, I'm stunned. I've become a very intermittent listener, but this is one heck of a leap since Terri Gross.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
So Mark just lost what little credibility he had left to land the white whale.

:thumbsup:

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.
I can't wait until he asks the president, "Are we good?"

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
It's been a while since I've listened to WTF, but I'll gladly download it to hear Maron ramble about his cats/personal insecurities while Obama pretends to be interested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I hope he gets Obama talking about doing coke and schmokin weed.

Also about the night he slept in a NYC alley.

• Locked thread