Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
that has been the only successful intentional wallbang i've gotten

edit: actually I've gotten a couple awp headshots through boxes on mirage but THATS IT

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.

Ron posted:

nuke used to be my wallbang fantasy back in 1.6, now I just shiver whenever someone mentions it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYos0Dt5Q2g

nuke1.6.avi :swoon:

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?

kcer posted:

nuke1.6.avi :swoon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsC0Du_8HDI

:agreed:

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Hold on, it's just Dust 2's mid doors that are metal, not all of them? They should probably get a different texture then.

Elman fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Mar 3, 2015

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS
No. The Long A and B site doors were also changed to Metal. I still think it's the dumbest change that Valve could have made since wallbanging was a legit way of both intimidating and owning your opponents. Now it's useless to even try if you have anything other than an awp and hit a headshot.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
So I made the poor decision to purchase this game (as I will be addicted for at least a month). First game, played a casual match, my entire team repeatedly gets hammered and i'm able to get maybe one or two kills before I get rushed.

Played competitive, first match, first round I killed 3 members of their team, planted the bomb, killed the last two. That was my only good round, because it just seems like everyone upon getting access to sniper rifles can instaheadshot me on the loving move. Is this normal? Surely i'm at the lowest possible level of competitive right? I'd expect a couple people to have dropped ranks to kill newbs but not entire teams.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
The AWP is very easy to use if you do two things well: aim, and fire. Some morons like me jerk the mouse off-target while clicking or just not aim at all. In general since they know the directions you have to come from if they watch a sniper alley and you don't smoke or flash them you are at a serious disadvantage.

That said, running into a premade team of smurfs is not exactly a rare thing.

As far as off-rotation maps go, office is fun though I have yet to try it in comp, and I had a round of assault where the last CT gave away his position because his M4A1 model clipped right through the vents. After he dropped down in front of the hostie room and got gunned down immediately by two guys he was all like 'so you guys are walling huh'.

I hope for April Fool's they pull the old maps straight out of 1.6 and throw them into CS:GO and see how people like it.

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

dogstile posted:

So I made the poor decision to purchase this game (as I will be addicted for at least a month). First game, played a casual match, my entire team repeatedly gets hammered and i'm able to get maybe one or two kills before I get rushed.

Played competitive, first match, first round I killed 3 members of their team, planted the bomb, killed the last two. That was my only good round, because it just seems like everyone upon getting access to sniper rifles can instaheadshot me on the loving move. Is this normal? Surely i'm at the lowest possible level of competitive right? I'd expect a couple people to have dropped ranks to kill newbs but not entire teams.

Protip don't feel bad about/ever play casual, it isn't a useful representation of anything. Try to find a comp rules server, DM, etc.

The thing it does with your first few games is throw you in the deep end and see how you do until it figures out where you should be.

I like how you can tell on round 1 if it's going to be a fun game or not. Three dudes typing in chat that they're going A on Cache and not calling anything out while they're there (and not getting a single USP kill between them) is fully sick. We went 9-6 as CT, I was sure we would get destroyed on T but somehow finished 16-13. Playing like poo poo and winning doesn't really feel that good.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
If its a case of I got thrown in the deep end then that's fine, it'll even out when i've played more than one comp rules match. Its hard to get more than one in a night due to them taking so long.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

dogstile posted:

If its a case of I got thrown in the deep end then that's fine, it'll even out when i've played more than one comp rules match. Its hard to get more than one in a night due to them taking so long.

Yup. Back when I was DMG I'd get matched with the occasional guy who clearly had never played counter-strike before and probably wasn't very familiar with the FPS genre in general. It was really rare but it *did* happen. There's a reason it's not displaying your rank yet: it's because it isn't comfortable enough with your placement to tell you ;)

Norton
Feb 18, 2006

Turk February posted:

No. The Long A and B site doors were also changed to Metal. I still think it's the dumbest change that Valve could have made since wallbanging was a legit way of both intimidating and owning your opponents. Now it's useless to even try if you have anything other than an awp and hit a headshot.

You don't need a headshot. Awp hits non headshot for 50-60 damage through the door. If both your awpers hit the same guy you get the kill. Happens at least once a match. Even if you don't kill them its totally worth it for the free damage.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Does anybody know if people asked for the doors to be changed or did Valve just do it. I actually don't think it has affected the dynamic of AWPing down mid almost at all, in fact it has maybe improved it because the damage is lessened for bodyshots. But the metal doors really make it pointless to spam with rifles and other skill shots that used to be a pretty cool thing. It makes hiding behind the doors waaay more viable. These days it's worse to give away your position by spamming doors than it is to get off some tiny damage through them. If I had a penny for every time I did like 50 in 8 hits then had a guy strafe out and one shot me, I'd probably have a bunch of pennies.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
People asked them to fix it after they made the penetration changes a while back. When the doors were still wood the penetration changes meant an awp body shot was a one hit kill through the double doors which made playing dust2 really loving stupid for a day. So they fixed it by making the doors metal.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
Nah it's cool don't worry about it, hey check out these new skins and stickers. This one says "owned" lmao

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde

astr0man posted:

People asked them to fix it after they made the penetration changes a while back. When the doors were still wood the penetration changes meant an awp body shot was a one hit kill through the double doors which made playing dust2 really loving stupid for a day. So they fixed it by making the doors metal.

And then they un-fixed it. You will get one hit killed through the door with an awp. Does like 108 dmg roughly.

Other rifles just tickle you.

I think it's silly. The old penetration values were not bad, just port those over to the new doors so you can actually do something with a non-awp.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
Is Penta Sports just like bottom tier or something, nobody wants their stickers.

VoiceOfIntuition
Apr 11, 2009
Yeah but to be fair to them the original complaint was that penetration damage was not intuitive so they made it the way it is today, with textures kind of hinting at penetration values.

But with all the maps being out already it's not actually possible to have that system still make sense and thus #ripd2doors

Maguro
Apr 24, 2006

Why is the sun always bullying me?

nftyw posted:

Is Penta Sports just like bottom tier or something, nobody wants their stickers.

Not a very popular team, and most people don't expect them to make it out of groups so they have no reason to get their sticker for the pick 'em chart thing.

Powerful Wizard IRL
Aug 8, 2007

-_- CS Depression? -_-
Ask your admin if BanMe® is right for you!
^o^

VoiceOfIntuition posted:

Yeah but to be fair to them the original complaint was that penetration damage was not intuitive so they made it the way it is today, with textures kind of hinting at penetration values.

But with all the maps being out already it's not actually possible to have that system still make sense and thus #ripd2doors

Isn't that pretty much how it's always been? The same surfaces and materials were spammable across multiple maps. The only difference now is that it's far less useful. Penetration values are still done on a mat by mat basis I think

so for example cache b site boxes are also in ct spawn d2 and can be shot through the same way

Powerful Wizard IRL fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Mar 4, 2015

hi5
Aug 3, 2014
it's been 2 months since i played gun skin simulator....nothing has really changed it seems

aborn
Jun 2, 2001

1, 2, woop! woop!
New (?) de_fire, looks way better than that garbage de_ignite version we have right now (sorry mcVey)

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=401145257

We should get this going on sub.io

edit: added it to the rotation

edit2: we won, map stays forever

aborn fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Mar 4, 2015

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
Tied a game of cs_backalley. 15 rounds won.

Need 1 more win to finish the assignment :suicide:

I'm stuck at 7 competitive wins. I keep losing or tying the game. I'll never get my silvers. :sigh:

pctD
Aug 25, 2009

Pillbug

aborn posted:

New (?) de_fire, looks way better than that garbage de_ignite version we have right now (sorry mcVey)

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=401145257

We should get this going on sub.io

edit: added it to the rotation

edit2: we won, map stays forever

Sorry for dipping on that game I had an emergency.

JacksonAces
Aug 13, 2012
Few days ago I tried to add some cash to my wallet to buy some sweet sweet gun skins. I get an error that says it is having trouble initializing my purchase, try again later or contact steam support.

So I did. Both of them.

Steam support is pretty useless, and GabeN is a GDC, so I can't even just email him. I think the problem has something to do with the fact that I live in Italy and in the US, though I've tried all the different forms of currency I have, and nothing has worked.

Side note, I can still buy games. Just not add funds to my wallet, so no skins/keys/stickers for me.

Damnit Valve, I'm just trying to give you money!

Any ideas?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

JacksonAces posted:

Few days ago I tried to add some cash to my wallet to buy some sweet sweet gun skins. I get an error that says it is having trouble initializing my purchase, try again later or contact steam support.

So I did. Both of them.

Steam support is pretty useless, and GabeN is a GDC, so I can't even just email him. I think the problem has something to do with the fact that I live in Italy and in the US, though I've tried all the different forms of currency I have, and nothing has worked.

Side note, I can still buy games. Just not add funds to my wallet, so no skins/keys/stickers for me.

Any ideas?

Get a goon to buy you the skins you want and just paypal him/her the cost of it.

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.
I've never seen them when I've been at the shops, but apparently you can buy top-up cards for £50 or whatever that you redeem through a code on Steam.

Red Mike
Jul 11, 2011

JacksonAces posted:

So I did. Both of them.

Any ideas?

Had the same problem after moving to the UK from eastern europe. The problem is the Steam wallet is in a different region, and has to be migrated. If you have cash in it, you'll lose access to that cash until you move back to your old region and ask for it to be migrated again.

Steam support is useless as hell, took two weeks for me to get a reply, and I had to keep going back and forth because they kept asking me for unrelated information (I specify that the credit card option doesn't work, and that clicking Paypal doesn't even pop up a Paypal window before failing, and they ask me for my Paypal details) so I eventually gave up and just sent them one message going 'Look, I know why this is happening. Please migrate my Steam wallet to region X.' and it got done a couple of days later.

If you're going to be switching regions often, tough luck, you won't have access from one or the other.

JacksonAces
Aug 13, 2012

Red Mike posted:

Had the same problem after moving to the UK from eastern europe. The problem is the Steam wallet is in a different region, and has to be migrated. If you have cash in it, you'll lose access to that cash until you move back to your old region and ask for it to be migrated again.

Steam support is useless as hell, took two weeks for me to get a reply, and I had to keep going back and forth because they kept asking me for unrelated information (I specify that the credit card option doesn't work, and that clicking Paypal doesn't even pop up a Paypal window before failing, and they ask me for my Paypal details) so I eventually gave up and just sent them one message going 'Look, I know why this is happening. Please migrate my Steam wallet to region X.' and it got done a couple of days later.

If you're going to be switching regions often, tough luck, you won't have access from one or the other.

Yeah, I figured this was most of the problem. Thing is, it worked in January without a hitch. <shrug>

I'm moving back to the US in a few weeks, I guess I'll just have to wait until then.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

VelociBacon posted:

Get a goon to buy you the skins you want and just paypal him/her the cost of it.

Can't trade for a week lol

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Katana Gomai posted:

Can't trade for a week lol

enjoy these anti scam measures

loving wannabe item barons ruined everything lol

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

eppu
Apr 15, 2005

JacksonAces posted:

So I did. Both of them.

Any ideas?

Had this problem also, doing it trough the web page, not directly from steam did the trick for me.

Red Mike
Jul 11, 2011

JacksonAces posted:

Yeah, I figured this was most of the problem. Thing is, it worked in January without a hitch. <shrug>

I'm moving back to the US in a few weeks, I guess I'll just have to wait until then.

If you're still using a US credit card/Paypal account, you can get over it temporarily by adding '&cc=us' to the URL for adding funds. I thought you said you'd moved there, and thus were using an italian card.

JacksonAces
Aug 13, 2012

Red Mike posted:

If you're still using a US credit card/Paypal account, you can get over it temporarily by adding '&cc=us' to the URL for adding funds. I thought you said you'd moved there, and thus were using an italian card.

I tried using both, but I'll try this trick now.

JacksonAces
Aug 13, 2012
Red Mike, you are my hero.

I can now add funds using your "&cc=us" trick through paypal.

Thanks!

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

felt frisky and bought some keys to open the old winter offensive cases in my inventory

four field tested cobalt half-tone bizons. trade up my terrible skins and get a hideous mac 10

there is no god

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Jeza posted:

bought some keys

This was the first of many mistakes in your actions.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Photex posted:

This was the first of many mistakes in your actions.

I felt lucky, punk :saddowns:

The Blue Caboose
May 20, 2007

jeff gerstmann hates fun
so I realized that Epsilon got the really short end of the stick in the whole french mixup a few months back, and I also realized that they got hit pretty hard in the match fixing/banwave stuff.

I did not, however, realize that the Epsilon squad is literally just ScreaM right now. For some reason, I find this way funnier than maybe I should.

Koala Cola
Dec 21, 2005

I am the stone that the builder refused...

The Blue Caboose posted:

so I realized that Epsilon got the really short end of the stick in the whole french mixup a few months back, and I also realized that they got hit pretty hard in the match fixing/banwave stuff.

I did not, however, realize that the Epsilon squad is literally just ScreaM right now. For some reason, I find this way funnier than maybe I should.

I'm so confused about Scream. Is he on or a team or not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Blue Caboose
May 20, 2007

jeff gerstmann hates fun
he is technically still on epsilon. the only problem is that literally no one else is playing for epsilon.

http://www.hltv.org/news/14166-epsilon-release-uzzziii-fxy0

• Locked thread