Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Aesop Poprock posted:

I remember Anthony Bourdain being forced to eat iguana a couple of times and saying it was awful, although I think one of those was like some poor pet of a resort or something

Bourdain can literally taste the dollar value of what he's eating. Iguana from a nearby jungle? Awful. $300 can of pure jelled fat? Amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Jupiter
Apr 25, 2010

theironjef posted:

Bourdain can literally taste the dollar value of what he's eating. Iguana from a nearby jungle? Awful. $300 can of pure jelled fat? Amazing.

I thought the reason for his show was that there was "no reservations", as in he just went around and ate street food and off-the-beaten path stuff. The food he eats is usually what keeps the local working class full through the day and is pretty cheap if you don't count the plane ticket.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

A Jupiter posted:

I thought the reason for his show was that there was "no reservations", as in he just went around and ate street food and off-the-beaten path stuff. The food he eats is usually what keeps the local working class full through the day and is pretty cheap if you don't count the plane ticket.

Yeah his favorite food ever is like raw oyster from the ocean and cheap street pho, I don't think he's that type of snob. He definitely is a snob of some kind but I'm not sure exactly what

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.

Aesop Poprock posted:

Yeah his favorite food ever is like raw oyster from the ocean and cheap street pho, I don't think he's that type of snob. He definitely is a snob of some kind but I'm not sure exactly what

Bourdain was/is basically the OG food hipster. Able to write some elegant prose about a $300 tasting menu, greasy Chinese takeout, and everything in between, but God help you if you take him to anything remotely kitschy or touristy.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Devil Wears Wings posted:

Bourdain was/is basically the OG food hipster. Able to write some elegant prose about a $300 tasting menu, greasy Chinese takeout, and everything in between, but God help you if you take him to anything remotely kitschy or touristy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JppPNPwFz_U

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Devil Wears Wings posted:

There were a few times in the later seasons where he'd make a joke about Zimmern eating everything and he can't let himself get shown up so Bourdain eats the odder foods.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

pentyne posted:

There were a few times in the later seasons where he'd make a joke about Zimmern eating everything and he can't let himself get shown up so Bourdain eats the odder foods.

The Steak au Poivre at Bourdain's restaurant was pretty good, and moderately priced at $40.

On the other hand, I watched one of those two eat the still beating heart of a snake in a shot of liquor, which seems unnecessarily cruel.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Aesop Poprock posted:

Bourdain is snobby about how above it all and non-snobby he is. I've always hated his "I'm so punk I don't even care how punk I am (and that makes me the most punk of all!)" schtick.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

theironjef posted:

I would like him to be force-fed Chicken McNuggets, since he apparently enjoys even hakarl more than those.

It just seems like a dumb thing to pick on. Yeah, they're not good, but I really doubt they are the worst things he's ever eaten.

EDIT:

Human Tornada posted:

Bourdain is snobby about how above it all and non-snobby he is. I've always hated his "I'm so punk I don't even care how punk I am (and that makes me the most punk of all!)" schtick.

He has an earring, that's seriously punk. Like soooo punk.

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme
On his No Reservations show, he eats and enjoys everything from the simplest local foods to crazy high class cuisine. I don't get where he's ever snobby, is there another show where he turns his nose up at cheap food?

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
I think the only thing he ever had a problem eating was some 3rd world country offal where they had to squeeze a turd out of the intestine right before they started cooking it.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Dillbag posted:

I think the only thing he ever had a problem eating was some 3rd world country offal where they had to squeeze a turd out of the intestine right before they started cooking it.

That was the Kenya episode. It was a wild warthog and they cut out the last foot of intestine from the butthole back, squeezed the poop out, and tossed it into a fire.
Bourdain ate it too to be polite and got extremely sick afterwards.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Apparently these are sleeping dinosaurs

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Frog Act posted:

My kid would eat the hell out of those.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Ultimate Mango posted:

My kid I would eat the hell out of those.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Frog Act posted:

Where's the ketchup? Sign me up to eat this while watching The Land Before Time,

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Frog Act posted:

Is that fried ravioli or like, Totino's Pizza Rolls?

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
This has popped up on my Facebook a couple times recently:

It's a "peanut butter cookie lasagna", and apparently I have acquaintances who think it looks delicious. I think I have diabetes just from the picture.

Recipe here if you hate yourself.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Terrible cookies, terrible chocolate, cool whip, pudding, and peanut butter? Good lord. If I'm eating that many calories I'd be drat sure to have some quality sugars and fats, not that garbage.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

That might be a thing for the ages if you made it with some Valrhona Palmira.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Crow Jane posted:

It's a "peanut butter cookie lasagna", and apparently I have acquaintances who think it looks delicious. I think I have diabetes just from the picture.

I might make this, but using butterscotch pudding instead. And some nice dark chocolate instead of the mini cups.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Frog Act posted:

This is god damned adorable

Ultimate Mango posted:

I might make this, but using butterscotch pudding instead. And some nice dark chocolate instead of the mini cups.

See that sounds okay, I kept thinking the cups would make the texture of that... weird

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Crow Jane posted:

That sure is a well taken photo though. It's weird seeing a pile of garbage photographed so well.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

For some reason it's the stuff running down the outside that gets me most. It's like the final confirmation that the creator had no sense of restraint whatsoever.

Aristophanes
Aug 11, 2012

Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine, so that I may wet my mind and say something clever!

My Lovely Horse posted:

For some reason it's the stuff running down the outside that gets me most. It's like the final confirmation that the creator had no sense of restraint whatsoever.

Ah but they did have restraint. They're artful drips. It's like some rule of thirds level drip placement.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Fo3 posted:

I've had grilled or fried sandwiches, but not deep fried, and I never will.
Deep fry vegetables (chips/fries, onions, fritters), deep fry curried vegetables (pakora, bhaji), deep fried filled pastry dough (spring rolls, dim sims, samosas), deep fry legume patties (falafels etc), deep fry meat (chicken, pork, fish, calamari, prawns). But I'll never deep fry a sandwich or big mac.

I never planned on smoking or drinking alcohol in my life either. There comes a point in every person's life though where they're wearing that ring and giving it a real college try with both hands. In that moment who can tell what led to that point. The decisions are lost to time like tears in the rain.

Rapman the Cook
Aug 24, 2013

by Ralp
Yes, I'd make that disgusting prole recipe, but of course I'd make sure I used the good cookies and chocolate because Im not some faaaarrrtttt.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

rodbeard posted:

That sure is a well taken photo though. It's weird seeing a pile of garbage photographed so well.

So you didn't watch the Oscars?

Phaeoacremonium
Aug 7, 2008
Just stumbled on this eyesore on Twitter.

It's ice cream. The angle and colour is just bizarre.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Frog Act posted:

Used to eat those all the time as a kid.
Tomato ketchup would be the blood.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

ErIog posted:

. There comes a point in every person's life though where they're wearing that ring and giving it a real college try with both hands. In that moment who can tell what led to that point.

:master:

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Mexican Deathgasm posted:

On his No Reservations show, he eats and enjoys everything from the simplest local foods to crazy high class cuisine. I don't get where he's ever snobby, is there another show where he turns his nose up at cheap food?
I love the guy. He's a great entertainer and an even greater writer.

That said, he's a huge snob about anything and everything "touristy," like Devil Wears Wings said.

The best example I can think of is the Egypt episode of No Reservations where he just rants about how loving touristy the Pyramids and Sphinx are and grumps that he'll never go to them.

ErIog posted:

I never planned on smoking or drinking alcohol in my life either. There comes a point in every person's life though where they're wearing that ring and giving it a real college try with both hands. In that moment who can tell what led to that point. The decisions are lost to time like tears in the rain.
jesus that came out of nowhere and was amazing :golfclap:

Otana
Jun 1, 2005

Let's go see what kind of trouble we can get into.

ErIog posted:

There comes a point in every person's life though where they're wearing that ring and giving it a real college try with both hands.

Holy poo poo.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Phaeoacremonium posted:

Just stumbled on this eyesore on Twitter.

It's ice cream. The angle and colour is just bizarre.

Yeah, I temporarily thought it was some sort of weird marshmallow thing or alternatively some super fat person.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Falcon2001 posted:

Yeah, I temporarily thought it was some sort of weird marshmallow thing or alternatively some super fat person.

I also thought it was a fat positivity post...
What has SA done to me :stonk:

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Postal Parcel posted:

I also thought it was a fat positivity post...
What has SA done to me :stonk:

Same here. I was waiting to see two little dainty feet in ballet flats poking out at the bottom.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Data Graham posted:

That might be a thing for the ages if you made it with some Valrhona Palmira.

I think letting chocolate that good anywhere near Cool Whip is a mortal sin.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Crow Jane posted:

I think letting chocolate that good anywhere near Cool Whip is a mortal sin.

I love Cool Whip....

I am ashamed.

TheHomerTax
Dec 26, 2012

That's a high quality avatar right there.

bringmyfishback posted:

I love Cool Whip....

I am ashamed.

:(:hf::(

Me too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

I used to like Cool-Whip when I was younger, but have mostly phased it out of my diet.

The one thing that needs Cool-Whip though is Jello, there's just something about the combination that works for me, and Whipped Cream just isn't the same.

• Locked thread