Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Nondescript Van posted:

they should already be sending you the right bar (you should get a shipping confirmation) but if not contacting their customer service should get it sorted out. Apparently everybody that got the standard layout got the wrong space bar.

Yeah it looks like it's on the way and the USB cable already showed up. I had one bad switch but luckily they sent an extra with every kit, I just hope I don't break any swapping keycaps. The Matias tactile switches are somewhat similar to the old complicated ALPS white switches, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

If you want a split-layout keyboard, is there anything better or at least equal to Microsoft Natural Ergonomic 4000 yet?

I was severely disapointed in the Sculpt Ergonomic, despite great reviews it just didn't do it for me. lovely keys (especially the awful function keys) and a non-standard arrow key layout made me go back to the 4k after a week.

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
I take it there still aren't any good options for those of us who like the feel and the sound of membranes, and want a full sized, low profile keyboard with a normal sized spacebar and backlit keys? The SS Apex / Apex Raw and Corsair Raptor K40 look and feel horrible.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Datasmurf posted:

I take it there still aren't any good options for those of us who like the feel and the sound of membranes, and want a full sized, low profile keyboard with a normal sized spacebar and backlit keys? The SS Apex / Apex Raw and Corsair Raptor K40 look and feel horrible.

Logitech Illuminated Keyboard?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I have a KBTalking Pro Value Edition and I'm getting to the point where I want to put some new keycaps on it.

I just took stock of how many keys are actually on this thing and it looks like I have an extra four keys for the volume controls and the functional layer modifier that aren't on a standard 104-key layout.

I see that Rosewill sells 104 key doubleshot sets on Amazon for cheaps. Can I just get one of those kits and presume it will work with this keyboard? Or do I need to do a ton of research into keyboard profiles and such to make sure I don't end up with a terrible looking layout?

Also: Is there any way to get the four additional keys I'm gonna need other than doing some special custom order that is going to cost me an arm and a leg?

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:

Bucket Joneses posted:

I have a KBTalking Pro Value Edition and I'm getting to the point where I want to put some new keycaps on it.

I just took stock of how many keys are actually on this thing and it looks like I have an extra four keys for the volume controls and the functional layer modifier that aren't on a standard 104-key layout.

I see that Rosewill sells 104 key doubleshot sets on Amazon for cheaps. Can I just get one of those kits and presume it will work with this keyboard? Or do I need to do a ton of research into keyboard profiles and such to make sure I don't end up with a terrible looking layout?

Also: Is there any way to get the four additional keys I'm gonna need other than doing some special custom order that is going to cost me an arm and a leg?

You can check here: http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_list&c=40

The Ducky sets are 108 key sets so those extra keys will probably cover your media keys, although the icons won't match the function. At the very least you could get some custom caps just for those keys. The profile won't matter as much unless your're a stickler since they are out of the way and not, for example, a normal modifier key with a different profile.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Bucket Joneses posted:

Keep an eye on massdrop too they put up key cap sets pretty frequently

lollybo
Dec 29, 2008
So I marked my entry into the world of mechanical keyboards a few days ago by placing an order for the varmilo va87m- it is a sex looking keyboard and I hope it lives up to the hype. However, I had a question about the mini USB connector- I had heard that some boards had issues with the usb connector wearing out, which would bother me because I expect a 100+ dollar keyboard to last a long time. Can anyone with a high quality keyboard with a mini usb connector comment on the studiness of the connector? Will it suffer from long term wear and tear that could potentially damage it?

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies
The boards I've heard of having issues with the USB port are the Rosewill boards that have the port directly on the top edge of the keyboard. As you can imagine, bumping the cord against drat near anything is going to cause it to wear or even break the connector. I just googled your particular board and found a YouTube video that shows the connector is similar to how Code has their port. It's on the back of the keyboard, about the middle and there is a cord strain relief that should help alleviate that. I'd imagine if you're constantly plugging/unplugging and not being careful that you could potentially kill it, but I think it ought to be fine.

Geology
Nov 6, 2005

lollybo posted:

So I marked my entry into the world of mechanical keyboards a few days ago by placing an order for the varmilo va87m- it is a sex looking keyboard and I hope it lives up to the hype. However, I had a question about the mini USB connector- I had heard that some boards had issues with the usb connector wearing out, which would bother me because I expect a 100+ dollar keyboard to last a long time. Can anyone with a high quality keyboard with a mini usb connector comment on the studiness of the connector? Will it suffer from long term wear and tear that could potentially damage it?

My only concern would be using a cable with a bulky plug - meaning that you'd have to bend the port uncomfortably in order to snake it into the strain relief slot. I've only had to plug and unplug my varmilo a handful of times and seems to be holding up just fine. But, if I had do it like, daily, I would be a little worried about causing metal fatigue on the connection between the port and the PCB. On the otherhand, keyboards with the port on the exterior are much more susceptible to being damaged while the cable is plugged in. My advice: stop worrying and learn to love the varm.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
This is a long shot, but I'm crossing my fingers: Last year I was working at a big livestream event, and one of the other guys brought in this weird but also really cool financial keyboard with MX Blues in it. As he told it, he'd found it used in a tiny dinky electronics store in Japan, with no branding other than an old-school rainbow Apple-sticker on it. I really want one of these, since I'd love the ergonomic benefits of a TKL without having to actually give up the numpad:

Do any of you guys have any idea where I can buy one of these things?

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Instant Grat posted:

Do any of you guys have any idea where I can buy one of these things?

Googling that FCC ID turns up this http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=12900062857. Which seems to be that keyboard, but with the top and bottom halves swapped around. Google-converting the currency makes it seem like it's 28ish euros.
Of course the site is all in Chinese and I have no idea if they'll ship to wherever you are.

Not sure if this helps. But, well, good luck?

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Geemer posted:

Googling that FCC ID turns up this http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=12900062857. Which seems to be that keyboard, but with the top and bottom halves swapped around. Google-converting the currency makes it seem like it's 28ish euros.
Of course the site is all in Chinese and I have no idea if they'll ship to wherever you are.

Not sure if this helps. But, well, good luck?

So close! Having the halves flipped around makes it... if not useless, then at least highly impractical for general use though :(

EDIT: Actually, this might be it! I managed to find my way to this page, which seems to be the exact same board - and it mentions "interchangeable top/bottom design". It might not be too far a stretch to assume that it actually is the same board. I'll have to ask the guy if he can change the top and bottom on the model he has.

EDITx2: Further investigation reveals you might have to choose the arrangement when ordering, so I'd have to get it from the expensive US-based seller for a useful layout. Bummer.

Instant Grat fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Feb 27, 2015

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Instant Grat posted:

So close! Having the halves flipped around makes it... if not useless, then at least highly impractical for general use though :(

EDIT: Actually, this might be it! I managed to find my way to this page, which seems to be the exact same board - and it mentions "interchangeable top/bottom design". It might not be too far a stretch to assume that it actually is the same board. I'll have to ask the guy if he can change the top and bottom on the model he has.

EDITx2: Further investigation reveals you might have to choose the arrangement when ordering, so I'd have to get it from the expensive US-based seller for a useful layout. Bummer.

I also found this http://www.quickship.com/dsi-KB-8861-XPU-B-V2-keyboard-cherry-mechanical which is kinda cool!

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I decided I wanted to get a mechanical keyboard, but I am seriously overwhelmed by the choices.

I'd like to get a tenkeyless keyboard, with cherry brown or clear switches. Something with standard-sized/shaped keycaps so I could switch them out at some point would be nice. I don't care about backlighting, and it is a bit of a negative if I have to turn it off every time it is powered up. Media keys a plus but not required. USB preferred. Budget is approximately $100 but I could go a little higher. I would prefer to buy it from amazon if I can.

Any suggestions?

taqueso fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Feb 27, 2015

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Ugh, there's a completed Ergodox on sale on ebay, but it's red switches and I was hoping for blue. I do like my reds at home, but I'm obviously not gaming at work.

Also it's $300.

I wonder if my coworkers will bitch about blues and I should go quieter. I've never heard one in person.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Feb 27, 2015

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:

taqueso posted:

I decided I wanted to get a mechanical keyboard, but I am seriously overwhelmed by the choices.

I'd like to get a tenkeyless keyboard, with cherry brown or clear switches. Something with standard-sized/shaped keycaps so I could switch them out at some point would be nice. I don't care about backlighting, and it is a bit of a negative if I have to turn it off every time it is powered up. Media keys a plus but not required. USB preferred. Budget is approximately $100 but I could go a little higher. I would prefer to buy it from amazon if I can.

Any suggestions?

You're not going to find many TKL MX clear boards in production. CM Storms are pretty popular and have a standard layout so switching keycaps is easy.

http://www.amazon.com/Storm-QuickFire-Rapid-Tenkeyless-Mechanical/dp/B007VDKLLM/ref=pd_sbs_op_6?ie=UTF8&refRID=16BCY7KHHDZ5JH7GBBKX

In you're price range as well. I prefer clears to browns and many people do since it does give a more tactile feel, but things like that are why their are choices.

The only in production TKL with clears that I know of (or can easily find) is the Code keyboard, but it is $150. http://www.amazon.com/87-Key-Illumi...ywords=mx+clear

Or you can look for a used massdrop poker 2 with clears if you want a 60% board, but those are usaully sold on forums and reddit.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

The same company that makes the CODE makes a nonbacklit version for a little cheaper. You could get the barebones (no keycaps) version for $110, and a $20 set of keycaps from amazon. 's what I did, only with greens instead of clears.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac

Deviant posted:

Ugh, there's a completed Ergodox on sale on ebay, but it's red switches and I was hoping for blue. I do like my reds at home, but I'm obviously not gaming at work.

Also it's $300.

I wonder if my coworkers will bitch about blues and I should go quieter. I've never heard one in person.

You could always buy it and resolder Blues. Your coworkers will almost certainly be annoyed. Assuming you type at an average pace, it's an incessant cricket chirp.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Slowhanded posted:

You could always buy it and resolder Blues. Your coworkers will almost certainly be annoyed. Assuming you type at an average pace, it's an incessant cricket chirp.

Would a different switch be better? Even reds seem to be a bit clacky.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Deviant posted:

Would a different switch be better? Even reds seem to be a bit clacky.

If reds are clacky that means you're bottoming out hard. You can use o-rings to dampen the impact, but they'll also change the feel of the key slightly.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

I might bring my Ducky with reds from home for a week or so, and see if it bothers anyone.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
In case anyone is curious, I found out that you can switch the halves yourself, so I ordered the board from Taobao through an agent. Will post pictures once it gets here.

That is nifty as all hell, and if I weren't so married to the clunky financial keyboard I would probably actually get a variety of that.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Thanks for the suggestions, decided to splurge a bit and got a CODE w/ clear switches.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Instant Grat posted:

In case anyone is curious, I found out that you can switch the halves yourself, so I ordered the board from Taobao through an agent. Will post pictures once it gets here.

That is nifty as all hell, and if I weren't so married to the clunky financial keyboard I would probably actually get a variety of that.

Very curious. Please write a review after you've had a chance to use it for a few weeks.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Instant Grat posted:

I'm honestly surprised that I have been of any help and and am pretty drat curious as to how it works for you. Please do post a trip report.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

taqueso posted:

Any suggestions?

Theres a version of Keyed Up Labs ES-87 with clears. Built like a tank too. I know they have their version with browns in Amazon at least.

Geology
Nov 6, 2005

taqueso posted:

Thanks for the suggestions, decided to splurge a bit and got a CODE w/ clear switches.

You won't regret it!

NyxBiker
Sep 24, 2014
You guys should buy the Ryos MK PRO. Literally the best keyboard I ever had, doesn't have all those screens and stuff, but it's awesome. It's quite expensive too, over 100 euro budget, but I literally love it. Ibought it with a roccat kone xtd mouse too which is as awesome and the two can communicate with each other.

Romulux
Mar 17, 2004

E V O L V E D

taqueso posted:

I've been keyboard shopping and lurking this thread lately and have about the same criteria for a keyboard as you, read the recommendations you got, and also decided on the CODE with clears. Hope we both end up happy with it! Did you get the Vortex doubleshot PBT caps? I'm thinking about it but I don't like that they won't shine through correctly on any key with more than one symbol on it. https://www.massdrop.com/buy/vortex-backlit-doubleshot-pbt-keycaps (Massdrop ends in 27 minutes)

Do you guys know if more doubleshot PBT keycaps with clear legends are coming out any time soon? So far the only other ones I can find are sold on a keyboard that I don't want.

Edit: gently caress it, I got the Vortex caps in white. PBT or bust.

Romulux fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Feb 28, 2015

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Anyone have any experience with Rapoo keyboards?

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/100-...2023921477.html

This one looked kinda cool.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Romulux posted:

I've been keyboard shopping and lurking this thread lately and have about the same criteria for a keyboard as you, read the recommendations you got, and also decided on the CODE with clears. Hope we both end up happy with it! Did you get the Vortex doubleshot PBT caps? I'm thinking about it but I don't like that they won't shine through correctly on any key with more than one symbol on it. https://www.massdrop.com/buy/vortex-backlit-doubleshot-pbt-keycaps (Massdrop ends in 27 minutes)

Do you guys know if more doubleshot PBT keycaps with clear legends are coming out any time soon? So far the only other ones I can find are sold on a keyboard that I don't want.

Edit: gently caress it, I got the Vortex caps in white. PBT or bust.

I thought about it for a bit, but decided I could wait (and I want blue ones ;) ). I did pick up a pack of red o-rings to try out.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Do Logitech gaming keyboards only come with the horrendous "coloured gaming keys" nowadays.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

HoboMan posted:

This tread is too long to read. What is a decent wired mouse + keyboard I can get for less than $40? tia

http://smile.amazon.com/Logitech-Desktop-MK120-Mouse-keyboard/dp/B003NREDC8/

http://smile.amazon.com/Microsoft-Wired-Desktop-600-Black/dp/B001OAOZ2E/

All I can think of for wired. I used to use an MK320 set at work and it was fine for what it was.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Eej posted:

Do Logitech gaming keyboards only come with the horrendous "coloured gaming keys" nowadays.

More or less, yeah: http://gaming.logitech.com/en-us/gaming-keyboards

If you want a more serious looking keyboard there are very well made alternatives by other companies; Logitech isn't as clear a choice as it is for mice (for me personally at least, I know a lot of folks like other brands).

nothingtrend
Oct 26, 2004

Never mind, was late to the party

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Rexxed posted:

More or less, yeah: http://gaming.logitech.com/en-us/gaming-keyboards

If you want a more serious looking keyboard there are very well made alternatives by other companies; Logitech isn't as clear a choice as it is for mice (for me personally at least, I know a lot of folks like other brands).

Their gaming mouse have also gotten way uglier. I bought whatever the last version of the old MX series mouse shape was just as a backup

Romulux
Mar 17, 2004

E V O L V E D
I got my WASD CODE 87 with MX Clears today and holy poo poo, this thing feels so awesome. It's solid. Very heavy, and just feels like you're typing on a rock. It's beautiful too. If this keyboard were a woman its case would be a little black dress, sexy in its simplicity. The case is logo and text free, just two tiny LEDs for the lock function indicators. The white back lighting looks really clean with the white back plate without being gaudy or too bright. I almost got the Varmilo on Massdrop with the low profile case or whatever, where the LEDs are basically shining in your face if you're at a 45 degree angle from your keyboard. I'm glad I didn't, because this is the exact opposite and it's just what I was looking for. The key caps are a little slick, but aren't too bad, they'd probably be perfect if they were PBT. I love the font and the minimal text on modifier keys. The layout of the legends is on point, with every single legend back lit, including low profile lighting for the front printed media and function keys. It feels amazing to type on. This is the only mechanical I've used besides a Model M back in the day and my brief time checking out the keyboards at Best Buy. I didn't get a switch tester and just went off what I think I'd prefer from my testing at best buy and online research, and I have to say I think the Cherry MX clears were a perfect choice for me. The tactile bump feels really nice and smooth, and the actuation needs just enough force that I'm not accidentally pressing keys while resting my fingers. Oh, and it's got dip switches that do a few interesting things, including Mac mode and turning caps lock into left ctrl, which is pretty nice considering I never use caps lock.

So far I've noticed a couple small things that are a little annoying like the backspace squeaking, but I'll just lube it. Also, when I bottom out most of the 1x1 keys it has a resonating sound that I believe is coming from the back plate that I wouldn't quite call a "ping" but I'm wondering if it's what people keep referring to when I read about that. It's not really a bad sound, but I'm wondering if o-rings might get rid of it.

All in all, this thing's a beast so far. I can't wait to get those white PBT caps on it and really see it shine. Thanks to everyone here posting helpful info and recommendations, I've learned a lot from this thread.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
awesome.. what did that set you back?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

^^ I payed $150 for mine

My CODE should be here tonight. A little miffed because the local fedex has been sitting on it for a couple days with tracking status "not due to be delivered".

• Locked thread