Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Nebelwerfer posted:

replacing addiction with another is my fav way to deal with issues too

I dont think youd get addicted to sleeping pills lol. Its just to keep you sedated until the physical withdrawal is gone.

I mean, if youre prone to getting addicted to mundane OTC things like benadryl then yeah i guess don't do it. Personally ive never had that problem :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Nebelwerfer posted:

replacing addiction with another is my fav way to deal with issues too

pls dont start.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
switch it for the burg addiction

straight eat tasty burgs until you don't feel the urge to smoke. also try and get a wicked cold as that will also totally curb the desire to smoke. so, eat burgs and catch a virus, basically go hang out at the filthiest most crowded burger joint you can find

canned from the band
Sep 13, 2007

I'm a man of intensity. Of cool, and youth, and passionately
go eat a hotdog fag

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
i gots a burg addiction

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
veggie burgs are burg methadone

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Sizone posted:

veggie burgs are burg methadone

nah man they're like, cocaine to heroin, def in no way inferior just different

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Dyna Soar posted:

nah man they're like, cocaine to heroin, def in no way inferior just different

We have had our differences but i agree with this 100%

As i have said before tho, i dont like the store bought veggie patties. They have way too much salt for my taste. Prefer to make my own.

Sad part is if they reduced the sodium content theyd be a really tasty alternative, but some of those patties have a ridiculously high sodium daily value

Not that fast food burgs dont ofc. I cant really make homemade burgs since the snow in my patio is about as high as my grill so until it melts i dont have many options.

Maybe we could discuss indoor homemade burging techniques? I guess broiling is my best bet

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Fetus Tree posted:

We have had our differences but i agree with this 100%

As i have said before tho, i dont like the store bought veggie patties. They have way too much salt for my taste. Prefer to make my own.

Sad part is if they reduced the sodium content theyd be a really tasty alternative, but some of those patties have a ridiculously high sodium daily value

Not that fast food burgs dont ofc. I cant really make homemade burgs since the snow in my patio is about as high as my grill so until it melts i dont have many options.

Maybe we could discuss indoor homemade burging techniques? I guess broiling is my best bet

put your burg in a frying pan and cook

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
If you can't pan fry a tasty burg, you got gently caress all rights to be making burgs. and I don't mean with one of those cast iron grill pans, like literally fry a loving burger in your lovely 5$ kmart frying pan until it's crispyish and a little browned on both sides. you don't need options or discussion.

Nebelwerfer
Jul 25, 2008

He carried our avenging steel over the Rhine,
He drank the emperor's toast from the Danube.
One place in Berlin, Kreuzberg makes these mean veggies burgs with fried halloumi and spicy peanut sauce

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
I dont have a grill right now. Pan frying burgers is easy and they turn out great but i also have a grill pan that i prefer to use.

Burg by any means. It would suck to burg in a country without proper cheese availability though

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

RideTheSpiral posted:

put your burg in a frying pan and cook

Like i said earlier, I've never had good results with that. I lost most of my good cooking gear though. I think my pan needs to be able to get hotter maybe.

Its teflon so its terrible.

Maybe ill try again tonight.

It sucks having a poo poo kitchen but i had to move for my new job and i have the tiniest kitchen ever. I had to build all my own counter space because it literally had none. Most of my kitchen stuff is in storage now.

Still willing to try though. Any tips for pan frying burgs?

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Man. Didn't expect so much vehemence because ive never liked pan fried burgs here.

Tbf most of my memory of pan fried burgs is my single mom coming home from the night shift and just trying to feed us. She wasnt a great cook back then.

Maybe its that. Either way im gonna try again tonight.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Fetus Tree posted:

Like i said earlier, I've never had good results with that. I lost most of my good cooking gear though. I think my pan needs to be able to get hotter maybe.

Its teflon so its terrible.

Maybe ill try again tonight.

It sucks having a poo poo kitchen but i had to move for my new job and i have the tiniest kitchen ever. I had to build all my own counter space because it literally had none. Most of my kitchen stuff is in storage now.

Still willing to try though. Any tips for pan frying burgs?

Lots of salt in the meat to bind it. then medium heat and dont try to move it until the meat caramelises on one side. then flip it and repeat.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
since you got extra crap teflon. salt the patty (both sides), don't make it too thick. heat the pan first (1 1/2 minutes, 2 minutes over full gas. gently caress if you got an electric stove) then plop the burg on the pan, no oil. let it fry and sear until it's crispy, not burnt, but seriously crispy on the cooking side, flip it over, let it get the same crisp on the second side. flip the burg, turn the stove off, leave the burger in the pan and let the residual heat finish the cooking. if you want chezz, when you turn off the heat, put the chezz on the burg, and put a lid on the pan. poo poo's done when the chezz is melted.

edit: if the meat was previously frozen or is otherwise weird, drain the pan a few times during the course of cooking if you get a lot of liquid forming

Sizone fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Mar 3, 2015

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Cool. Ill try this tonight. Im a pretty decent cook but burgs on a pan have been my nemesis.

What do i want to put on it? Im thinking raw red onion on the bottom with some sauteed under the cheese on top

Thinking either mayo or some homemade mac sauce

E: naw im gonna buy it all after work today so nothing frozen

I dont believe in frozen meat of any sort

E2: sauteed vidalia or yellow onions

I love onions

Fetus Tree fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Mar 3, 2015

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Buy a cast iron pan for pennies, preheat it in the oven or on the burner until it is lightly smoking, then sear each side of the burger for 1-2 minutes, and finish in the oven at 350 (finishing time will depend on burg thickness and starting temperature)

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Amazon me a cast iron pan and ill buy it now tbh. I meant to when i moved in but ive been way too busy

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Fetus Tree posted:

Cool. Ill try this tonight. Im a pretty decent cook but burgs on a pan have been my nemesis.

What do i want to put on it? Im thinking raw red onion on the bottom with some sauteed under the cheese on top

Thinking either mayo or some homemade mac sauce

E: naw im gonna buy it all after work today so nothing frozen

I dont believe in frozen meat of any sort

E2: sauteed vidalia or yellow onions

I love onions

Other than sauteed onions, put whatever the gently caress you want on it, except yellow mustard, that poo poo's garbage, you can use dijon or spicy brown, but no yellow mustard. you could do raw red, sauteed yellow and raw green onions to top and get an onion triage going.

Re: frozen meats. some of us live in island hells and other places where pretty much all meat is previously frozen. also a lot of super market meat was previously frozen without your knowledge or consent.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Fetus Tree posted:

Amazon me a cast iron pan and ill buy it now tbh. I meant to when i moved in but ive been way too busy

nah son, you get those things at flea markets

GET MY BELT SON
Sep 26, 2007

I have two of these

http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-L10SK3-Pre-Seasoned-Skillet-12-Inch/dp/B00006JSUB

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Sizone posted:

Or if you absolutely must retail it, they cost like half as much at Walmart than Amazon because its probably a losing game drop shipping singular 10 pound skillets.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Sizone posted:

Where i live that would be hard and not worth the gas, tho i dont disagree with the sentiment

GET MY BELT SON
Sep 26, 2007

I've also got a big hulking loving one and a much smaller one for breakfast but the medium size ones are,my favorite

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Fetus Tree posted:

Where i live that would be hard and not worth the gas, tho i dont disagree with the sentiment

goodwill, st. vincent de paul, salvation army?

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

zedprime posted:

Or if you absolutely must retail it, they cost like half as much at Walmart than Amazon because its probably a losing game drop shipping singular 10 pound skillets.

I wonder if target has them cheap. Boston doesn't have many walmarts (zero) but we have targets.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
This time of year you see so many commercials for cod.

I like to dress my shrimp in coconunt.

GET MY BELT SON
Sep 26, 2007

more of a panko man myself

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

It feels like a double burg day. Gunna fast food one for lunch. Then make pattie melts for dinner.

Got some sirloin I'm gunna grind up for tonight's burgs.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
https://vimeo.com/28030554

discuss

edit; go watch on vimeo then come back and discuss

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
tl:dw

(too long, didn't watch)

GET MY BELT SON
Sep 26, 2007

god drat I wanna burg right now

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Sizone posted:

tl:dw

(too long, didn't watch)

if you dont want to watch 30 mins of the science behind burgers youre in the wrong thread friend

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
maybe that's, like, elementary school poo poo and I'm burger post doc

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Sizone posted:

maybe that's, like, elementary school poo poo and I'm burger post doc

the true burglord will admit he knows nothing about burgs

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

RideTheSpiral posted:

the true burglord will admit he knows nothing about burgs

agreed, but ecclesiastes 1:9 states that there's nothing new under the burg shaped sun

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Sizone posted:

agreed, but ecclesiastes 1:9 states that there's nothing new under the burg shaped sun

ah yes but proverbs 3:5 clearly states trust in the BURG with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

RideTheSpiral posted:

ah yes but proverbs 3:5 clearly states trust in the BURG with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding

That was a mistranslation, the verse really means don't use lean ground beef when you make your burgs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Sizone posted:

That was a mistranslation, the verse really means don't use lean ground beef when you make your burgs

lol

• Locked thread