Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Crowbear posted:

Some monsters have tails you can cut off with a sharp weapon and you can get extra carves off them when they're severed. Also, some of the really gigantic monsters have multiple spots on their bodies that are carvable, so you can get 4 from the head and 4 from the body on some, or 3 head, 3 upper body, 3 lower body on others.

For the vast majority of monsters it doesn't matter where you carve.

Ah I guess I just haven't come across one of those yet. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Frenzied Brachydios sounds like a squeaky toy and I'd have a hard time taking him seriously if he didn't hit like a freight train.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

Frenzied Brachydios sounds like a squeaky toy and I'd have a hard time taking him seriously if he didn't hit like a freight train.

I found frenzied Brachy easier than regular for some reason.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
"I have a great idea for a monster. It causes a status effect you can only get rid of by running somewhere and not moving for awhile, either because you're crouching or eating. Now we're gonna give the monster Freedom Unite hitboxes and make it never leave you alone. What? That'll triple cart people constantly? Good!"

And thus Seregios was born and made everyone miserable. The end.

E: And this isn't even Apex. For some reason, fighting that thing was super simple. That seems to be the way this rear end in a top hat is. Either you have no problems at all and beat him in 7 minutes, or you can't hit him and he won't target your cats and triple carts you. There's no midway point.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Seregios's hitboxes are actually really

sharp

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Seregios has convinced me to finally make that bow set I've been putting off making for 70 hours.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Zinogre still has the best music, no question.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

ChibiSoma posted:

"I have a great idea for a monster. It causes a status effect you can only get rid of by running somewhere and not moving for awhile, either because you're crouching or eating. Now we're gonna give the monster Freedom Unite hitboxes and make it never leave you alone. What? That'll triple cart people constantly? Good!"

And thus Seregios was born and made everyone miserable. The end.

E: And this isn't even Apex. For some reason, fighting that thing was super simple. That seems to be the way this rear end in a top hat is. Either you have no problems at all and beat him in 7 minutes, or you can't hit him and he won't target your cats and triple carts you. There's no midway point.

Learn to use the all-curing smoke thing from the virus research center place and git gud :c00l:

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

So, I just got to Daimyo Hermitaur, and I was thinking of tying a dragon's head to a stick to beat it to death with. Which dragon would I be better off taking the head from, Gore or Ratholos, or would it be better to forget about dragons and tie Zinogre's head to the stick instead, or would I be fine with my Charge Blade? I did a high rank expedition and got my poo poo wrecked by Velocidromes, so I'm trying to make sure that the fight goes as smoothly as possible.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Elysiume posted:

Trying to get the later urgent quests done is awful. I've probably spent close to an hour just trying to get a second person for Ukanlos.

I've just soloed all the urgents since Dalamadur. Between not having to wait around for someone to join and not having to help them with their urgent afterwards it's actually a lot faster.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Colapops posted:

Zinogre still has the best music, no question.

Definitely, but Deviljho's initial "foreboding bass instruments" is always a good "oh god drat it" moment

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

ZeButler posted:

So, I just got to Daimyo Hermitaur, and I was thinking of tying a dragon's head to a stick to beat it to death with. Which dragon would I be better off taking the head from, Gore or Ratholos, or would it be better to forget about dragons and tie Zinogre's head to the stick instead, or would I be fine with my Charge Blade? I did a high rank expedition and got my poo poo wrecked by Velocidromes, so I'm trying to make sure that the fight goes as smoothly as possible.
He's weak to lightning so mount that Zinogre head on a pole. Also this may be confirmation bias but Daimyo just seemed so much easier with a hammer than a blade. He moves predictably, he's not that fast and he has gigantic areas you can smack around (back, claws, face).

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Pierson posted:

He's weak to lightning so mount that Zinogre head on a pole. Also this may be confirmation bias but Daimyo just seemed so much easier with a hammer than a blade. He moves predictably, he's not that fast and he has gigantic areas you can smack around (back, claws, face).

That monoblos skull is hard to break without a hammer, too.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
it isn't even a real Monoblos skull Monoblos don't grow that fuckin' big he probably made it out of sand and paper-mache

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

Night Blade posted:

I managed to beat him by using my GrimmKatze Switch Axe and abusing it's dodge step. A good rule of thumb for the fight is that when he goes airborne you just stay the hell away from him and use the switch axe's upslash from a distance.

I really like the look of that switch axe, but its stats kinda suck compared to others. What is this about its dodge step? Is there some gimmic to the weapon?

lokipunk
Jan 16, 2007
Did some multiplayer hunts finally. Seemed to be keeping up on damage. Finished my Velociprey set and decided to work on the Hi-Metal set to finish out LR decorated for attack. I was really careful about blowing people around with my shelling and didnt seem to hit anyone. Finally making progress through single player again now that I switched back to gunlance.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
What does it mean when the element for a weapon is greyed out?

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Sultan Tarquin posted:

What does it mean when the element for a weapon is greyed out?
Means you need the Awaken skill from 10 FreeElement points to activate it.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
Is the low rank caravan Tigrex fight really easy or did I get lucky or am I finally getting good at this dumb game?

I went in blind and took my trusty gore hammer to him and the only restorative item I used the entire fight was a single first aid. I haven't had a hard time with anything low rank, and breezed Shagaru Magala too, but it's rare that I don't gently caress up or get careless and need something more substantial than that.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Meldonox posted:

Is the low rank caravan Tigrex fight really easy or did I get lucky or am I finally getting good at this dumb game?

I went in blind and took my trusty gore hammer to him and the only restorative item I used the entire fight was a single first aid. I haven't had a hard time with anything low rank, and breezed Shagaru Magala too, but it's rare that I don't gently caress up or get careless and need something more substantial than that.

Tigrex didn't give me any real trouble with my insect glaive either, but like you I'm not sure if it's because he was easy or just because I'm getting better/just had the right weapon for the job.

I think the monster I've had the most problems with so far is the drat Glypceros. Stupid loving poison bird. I need a bunch of Lightcrystals, too.

Stealthed Zombie
Dec 21, 2007

And Introducing:
Dean "Titty Master" Ambrose
Got to Monoblos in Caravan. Monoblos? More like...Easyblos :smug:

Really though it just seemed like a super easy urgent compared to how big they were talking him up. "Oh no, it's a Monoblos! Good luck hunter, I think you'll need it!" *kills him in 10 minutes with no cards and barely using heals* "OH MY GOD WE CAN'T BELIEVE YOU DID IT!"

I'm looking at new sets to make, right now I've got Tetsucabra S, but I'd like something with Sharpness+, or maybe I'll make that Nerscylla armor since they're easy enough to farm in the Hunt-A-Thon.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Sprite141 posted:

I really like the look of that switch axe, but its stats kinda suck compared to others. What is this about its dodge step? Is there some gimmic to the weapon?

Somebody more knowledgeable than me should probably elaborate on this, but essentially it builds up charge in Axe form, which it then discharges in the form of either elemental damage or boosted raw damage (depending on the model) in Sword form. It has a giant, charge-up burst attack in Sword mode that's a bit like Gunlance's Wyvern Fire, where you unload it after somebody knocks the monster over and it uses a ton of the weapon's charge to hit multiple times and really gently caress the monster up, and is probably pretty good for getting breaks. Probably its listed stats don't fully reflect the damage from the phial/sword mode, but an actual Switch Axe user can give you a more thorough answer.

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
The cats in this game are too cute, never gonna skip the animation for the chef cat

Mayor Glowku
Jul 29, 2012

:pcgaming: :pcgaming: :pcgaming:
So i've got my hammer set, and I'm working on a few other blademaster sets... but I could use some help with making a bowgun set (and what bowguns are good)

I've got the Teostra bow and making a set with evade / the appropriate shot + (i forget atm). Power shot + blast seems to be legit.

any other advice? I use LBG primarily, though i kinda wanna make a guard set for HBG

Mayor Glowku
Jul 29, 2012

Depths posted:

The cats in this game are too cute, never gonna skip the animation for the chef cat

I hope you never release a palico

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Definitely, but Deviljho's initial "foreboding bass instruments" is always a good "oh god drat it" moment

We need a :darksouls: for Deviljo.

HEY GUYS :haw: Aw 'jo get out, nobody wants you here.

Mayor Glowku
Jul 29, 2012

Pierson posted:

it isn't even a real Monoblos skull Monoblos don't grow that fuckin' big he probably made it out of sand and paper-mache

When you break it you get wyvern scalp or something like that so it's totes a monoblos.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

We need a :darksouls: for Deviljo.

HEY GUYS :haw: Aw 'jo get out, nobody wants you here.

Jho pops in and then the text can be "Sooo tasty!"

Mayor Glowku
Jul 29, 2012

Jho pops in and then the text can be "Sooo tasty!"

Oddly appropriate considering how many times savage / apex jho wants to eat you. I went through like 8 dung bombs because I suck

Also bread I miss you

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Yea, Deviljho was the first monster whose music I noticed was completely unique. I knew I was in for a bad time. Didn't even really get a good chance to learn his nuances before I failed the quest.

Mayor Glowku
Jul 29, 2012

enojy posted:

Yea, Deviljho was the first monster whose music I noticed was completely unique. I knew I was in for a bad time. Didn't even really get a good chance to learn his nuances before I failed the quest.

Maybe it's because I've played way too long but I think most of the music is really distinctive for each creature. Gogmazios is one of my favorite though, especially when the MONHUN theme plays... it's like an instant :black101: moment SO HYPE

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Glowku posted:

Oddly appropriate considering how many times savage / apex jho wants to eat you. I went through like 8 dung bombs because I suck

Also bread I miss you

Same, but i've been far to busy to get to G Rank. We're both early High rank right now because our schedules are ramping up a lot.

Silvergun1000
Sep 17, 2007

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.

Glowku posted:

So i've got my hammer set, and I'm working on a few other blademaster sets... but I could use some help with making a bowgun set (and what bowguns are good)

I've got the Teostra bow and making a set with evade / the appropriate shot + (i forget atm). Power shot + blast seems to be legit.

any other advice? I use LBG primarily, though i kinda wanna make a guard set for HBG

I'm using the Seregios LBG with the Nargacuga X set gemmed up for normal up and evade +3. It's basically a non stop torrent of bullets as you dash around the monster being mostly invincible. Super fun, amazingly survivable and loads of raw damage which is unusual for a LBG set.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Glowku posted:

I'm in upper High Rank and I've been using the Seregios LBG along with Evasion+3 and it has been working pretty well. The gun rapid fires Normal 2 and it reloads every dodge so you never have to stop to reload and on monsters that aren't moving you just side hop twice to reload the clip without having to reposition. Evasion+3 makes you pretty much untouchable while side hopping so you can just do two in a row at the last minute and dodge pretty much anything.

^^^:argh:

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Sprite141 posted:

Its all that I had, and it has an element he's weak to.

I mean the step that certain weapons have where your character doesnt quite role, but just side steps after an attack if you press the roll button.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Night Blade posted:

Its all that I had, and it has an element he's weak to.

I mean the step that certain weapons have where your character doesnt quite role, but just side steps after an attack if you press the roll button.

Also, you can generally side-step and then continue attacking without interrupting your combo.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

Stealthed Zombie posted:

Got to Monoblos in Caravan. Monoblos? More like...Easyblos :smug:

Really though it just seemed like a super easy urgent compared to how big they were talking him up. "Oh no, it's a Monoblos! Good luck hunter, I think you'll need it!" *kills him in 10 minutes with no cards and barely using heals* "OH MY GOD WE CAN'T BELIEVE YOU DID IT!"

Fighting him for the urgent was the same for me, but when I went back to capture him for a later quest it took me 30 minutes and most of my mega potions because I had to keep running away to sharpen.

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!
Man I went through the entirety of MH3U with a hammer and it was great! But I'm just not feeling it at all in MH4U. The monsters in this game have way too many point-blank AoE attacks that just knock you on your rear end the moment you try to get in with the hammer. The greatsword works fine for the whole hit-and-run thing because it's got good range for a melee weapon, which is unfortunately something the hammer is lacking.

Maybe I'll have more fun with it once I get Evasion+2/3 but for now I'm just going to have to find something else to get me through the slogfest that is High Rank.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Sprite141 posted:

First, what do you mean about stats suck? Are you comparing the attack values? Cause if so, don't do that! If you are comparing motion values, then SA makes up for that by having fast infinite combos.

The less obvious SA gimmicks are that it can evade step after nearly every attack, and you have a long window to do it so they are easy to time correctly instead of just spamming it. Its second less obvious gimmick is that all the attacks execute faster once you are in a combo - the first attack however is always a bit slow.

SA is good, lots of people suck with it. A lot of SA players were just using it cause it was OP in the previous game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Sprite141 posted:

:psyduck: What? Where are you getting that? No they don't.

SA is a GS that lets you attack lots of times really fast and combo forever. GS is really all about slow charge attacks; SA is a similar weapon with the opposite usage. (Other than the big wyvern fire explosion which is pretty satisfying)

• Locked thread