Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Has anyone tried that Neon Drive expansion for Maschine yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
These pocket operators are crazy fun. At first it's like "yeah some cute presets, this is a nice gimmick" but then you start digging into making your own patterns and poo poo and the little mini sequencer plus effects are really fun and easy to start making cool poo poo fast. And I've only played with one so far (Factory)!

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I'm sure it's been posted before (maybe even by me), but Celldweller has some of the worst GAS I've ever seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7jD2js8YAc

I can't begin to imagine what this lot cost.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

NonzeroCircle posted:

I can't begin to imagine what this lot cost.

A lifetime of doing music for commercials and lovely video games.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
He also appears to be sporting modular hair. Shame all that is wasted on buttrock really.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx
So I got to play with a Pro 2 yesterday for a few hours.

:stwoon:

Between my work situation finally getting figured out so I can actually get some free time for music again... and that situation also giving me a massive raise I might just have to get one. I'll be waiting on how the JD-Xa sounds before I make the final decision on a centerpiece synth for my setup but right now it's between the A4 keys and Pro 2 with the latter way ahead of the former.

Scatterfold
Nov 4, 2008

A Winner is Jew posted:

...between the A4 keys and Pro 2 with the latter way ahead of the former.

I'm also having an Elektron v. DSI centrepiece quandary; why is the Pro2 ahead for you?

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Scatterfold posted:

I'm also having an Elektron v. DSI centrepiece quandary; why is the Pro2 ahead for you?

Sound.

When it comes to the "extra" poo poo that both of them bring to the table that you would want from a centerpiece (CV connectivity, sequencer, ease of use) I feel like they're about even. Pro2 is a bit ahead of the Keys when it comes to connectivity and ease of use (I've only played with the P2 and there is literally no menu diving so I'm assuming it's better than the Keys) while the Keys has the better sequencer, but it's not like either one of them are leagues ahead of the other in those things.

Sound though... Pro2 wins and it's not even close. Yes the P2 got poo poo on for having digital oscillators but with all the little things they added like slop and being able to assign LFO's/envelopes/sequencer tracks to drift the oscillators it's virtually impossible to know unless you told someone, plus the non standard waves you get from them triples the base sounds you get from analogue ones. Paraphonic mode is only that because it's all going through one filter (kind of) and one amp envelope but before it gets there you have this huge pallet to work which goes from classic analogue to "totally hosed up poo poo an ESQ-1 can only dream of" as the friend who has it put it. Plus with each oscillator having a "super" version of each wave (and you can have those waves drift against each other) it sounds much thicker and dynamic than it really should. Then add in the two filters that are easily the best on any DSI synth to date which you can route sound through them in almost any configuration... the 4 hours I got to play with it felt like 30 minutes and I spent almost zero time loving with the sequencer and literally zero time loving with the delays.

Not in a huge rush to get it and I have high hopes for the JD-Xa when it gets unveiled in a month and a half, but right now the Pro 2 is what I'll be convincing my wife I need to get as my centerpiece workstation since I'm really working towards getting things simple, immediate, and very creative with my setup.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

A Winner is Jew posted:

So I got to play with a Pro 2 yesterday for a few hours.

:stwoon:

Between my work situation finally getting figured out so I can actually get some free time for music again... and that situation also giving me a massive raise I might just have to get one. I'll be waiting on how the JD-Xa sounds before I make the final decision on a centerpiece synth for my setup but right now it's between the A4 keys and Pro 2 with the latter way ahead of the former.

For me the centerpiece will probably be the Prophet 6, pending any disastrous reviews after discovering it's just two Timbrewolf synths bolted together. I like the A4 and the modular, but a classic polysynth is one thing I can't really replicate easily with those (the A4 sorta can, but it always feels more like a groovebox to me). The Sub 37 is still tempting and much cheaper but the Prophet but I think the modular can at least play at being a duophonic synth with a MIDI->CV module.

Also that morning puzzle when a track on your soundcloud that's had single-digit plays in the three months it's been online gets 300+ plays in a weekend. Maybe someone let it loop for 10 hours?

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

Im the sata cable

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

How do you like the microsampler? I was || this close to getting one but picked up an MPC1000 with OS2XL instead.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.

stillvisions posted:

Also that morning puzzle when a track on your soundcloud that's had single-digit plays in the three months it's been online gets 300+ plays in a weekend. Maybe someone let it loop for 10 hours?
That's happened to me several times, and SoundCloud's statistics are useless garbage (even with Pro Unlimited). I did write to SoundCloud about a couple such events once, and they said sometimes the SoundCloud app recommends tracks that are in one way or another associated with popular tracks, and that can generate a large number of fleeting plays.

I've also had one Reddit post (which someone else made; I didn't even have a Reddit account then) that blew my stuff up for a whole weekend. That one I was able to track because people were linking directly to my song from Reddit. But if folks come to your stuff via your profile or a link to a playlist, you will never know where the plays came from.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

A MIRACLE posted:

How do you like the microsampler? I was || this close to getting one but picked up an MPC1000 with OS2XL instead.

It's got limits that I have worked around, figured it out within its first evening, really just only a few cons. Depends on what you're after in an instrument really. I wanted and got this and more:
1) Sampleplayer of the chromatic kind, with quality tweaking of samples (frequencies and rates)
2) Audio-in effects passthrough (goofing off in voicecomms for games and whatnot) and super clean sound
3) Comfortable keys (fibromyalgia, gotta be picky with computer-keyboard and music-keyboards) with ease of use, speed of operations

MPC1000 with JJOS I found a pain in the rear end that eventually became nothing but a sample-player and a really great midi-sequencer. Money from its sale was put towards a Roland SP404SX which was terrific for the LP-sampling music-building I got into (for study, trying to figure out what makes a "beat", the magic behind it) but I could not get away from what I really needed, which was the MS1 that I had missed out on time after time just by hours many times. Traded towards this and got something that only needs a midi pad controller to make better.

Now that I'm free of everything flu I can get working on my video review of it again. (and do ask if you have any questions, I know the machine better than I got to know the MPC or SP404 after the years with them)

Most importantly it has snack storage compartments.

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Mar 2, 2015

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

We had a great synth-meet here in Chicago yesterday. I have an album of pics here - https://www.flickr.com/photos/128532512@N04/sets/72157650705523908/

That new macro machines module - seen here - https://www.flickr.com/photos/128532512@N04/16065939994/in/album-72157650705523908/ - is just one of the coolest things I've used in a while.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Transistor Rhythm posted:

We had a great synth-meet here in Chicago yesterday. I have an album of pics here - https://www.flickr.com/photos/128532512@N04/sets/72157650705523908/

That new macro machines module - seen here - https://www.flickr.com/photos/128532512@N04/16065939994/in/album-72157650705523908/ - is just one of the coolest things I've used in a while.

Sup X100 buddy :hfive:

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

I LOVE this stupid camera. My first "real" one.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

I LOVE this stupid camera. My first "real" one.

T or S or OG? I have an old old OG that has seen hell and back. I love it forever. But I want to maybe finally replace it with a T soon.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

This isn't strictly synthy but I'm in the market for a looper, mostly for vocals. Been looking at the Boss RC-300 and am wondering if anyone has any experience with it or other loopers.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

khysanth posted:

This isn't strictly synthy but I'm in the market for a looper, mostly for vocals. Been looking at the Boss RC-300 and am wondering if anyone has any experience with it or other loopers.

I use a DL-4, but I haven't tried many of the others. I just bought the DL-4 because I saw that Andrew Bird and TuneYards use them, and I assume they know what they're doing.

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It

khysanth posted:

I've searched high and low for a good looper. I've ended up using a computer with Ableton though (specifically their looper effect). I wanted to loop guitar and bass, so I wanted hands free operation (and I have a ground control pro) and a midi in for tempo sync. Before Ableton I was using an EHX 45000, but it doesn't allow for multiple length loops. But it allows for quick level adjustments, midi implementation, and worked pretty well.

Think about what you really need in a looper. If you don't need foot control and are thinking of loops under 4 bars consider the kaosspad 3. Pigtronix also has a looper that plays well with loops of different lengths.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Just be wary that if you want to load saved loops, the KP3 takes a while and will stop audio whilst loading- it's a nifty fx processor but you'll likely end up disappointed if you want to do any (even rudimentary) track/beat building with it.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

toadee posted:

T or S or OG? I have an old old OG that has seen hell and back. I love it forever. But I want to maybe finally replace it with a T soon.

OG all the way. It made me want a T immediately though!

Scatterfold
Nov 4, 2008

Thanks v much; lots of useful info there. There's one thing thats edging me towards the Analog Keys at the mo and that's the studio will be, in less than 6 months, taken over entirely as a bedroom (At the moment it's half & half: cot & changing table / synths) and I'm likely going to have to downsize to 1 synth, my MD and a tape deck somewhere else in the house. I know a lot of people rate the Pro 2 almost as a centrepiece of a set-up with its CV control but despite it sounding far superior to the Pro 2 I'm not sure if it'd work covering all the synthy bases. If only the Pro2 engine was inside an AK sequencer set-up...

Is there anything else I'm missing that'd pair really well with an Elektron MD that's A4/AK-like?

At least my daughter & I have a few months to enjoy the nursery/studio combined space...

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Don't be fooled by appearances, she will pick that poo poo up and bash you in the mouth with it. It's true, it happened to me.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

Papas, don't let your babies grow up to play dubstep

Scatterfold
Nov 4, 2008

Sizone posted:

Don't be fooled by appearances, she will pick that poo poo up and bash you in the mouth with it. It's true, it happened to me.

it's cool i don't mind if she gets into PE or harsh noise

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Scatterfold posted:

it's cool i don't mind if she gets into PE or harsh noise

As a word of advice, the Volca Bass has proven itself to be quite baby resilient. Much more so than its price tag would suggest.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Yo 3/03 acid whatever woo!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8Qr7V9GmUU

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Today should be a holiday of some sorts I think.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCUPc9zVfyo

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Why, this the anniversary of boring music? I thought that was every day.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Sizone posted:

<:mad:>

Very rude, we're not talking about big beat come on.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

net work error posted:

Today should be a holiday of some sorts I think.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCUPc9zVfyo

yesssir

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jj3phKamt44
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5IMJTqU7UE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfUJqLyq_wA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_S0g_zSqJ6s -- this is the lovely version but nobody has the one that was up on the Rephlex website for a bit and Im too lazy to upload
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HWY9s7xV-Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxQQR7B4QsQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2dMRkmeSNo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ADoBW0c-18

and today's theme song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUVkTHMHrQA

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Sizone posted:

u dumb

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Scatterfold posted:

Thanks v much; lots of useful info there. There's one thing thats edging me towards the Analog Keys at the mo and that's the studio will be, in less than 6 months, taken over entirely as a bedroom (At the moment it's half & half: cot & changing table / synths) and I'm likely going to have to downsize to 1 synth, my MD and a tape deck somewhere else in the house. I know a lot of people rate the Pro 2 almost as a centrepiece of a set-up with its CV control but despite it sounding far superior to the Pro 2 I'm not sure if it'd work covering all the synthy bases. If only the Pro2 engine was inside an AK sequencer set-up...

Is there anything else I'm missing that'd pair really well with an Elektron MD that's A4/AK-like?

Tell your wife YOLO and get a Pro 2 + A4 since the A4 can trigger a bunch of poo poo on the Pro 2 via the CV track. :homebrew:

But really, I would hold out till MusikMesse since IMO the JD-Xi was the second best synth thing at NAMM behind the Prophet 6 and the JD-Xa gets unveiled there. Outside of that... maybe a Lead A1?

Dishman
Jul 2, 2007
Slimy Bastard

I haven't even looked at this but was this related to the chili & synth cookoff at empty bottle? I played Psych Fest at the hideout a month ago, and a dude had a couple of old italian(?) synths that he loving killed it with. Don't remember details on any of this so just FYI rowdy poo poo goes down sometimes.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion

A Winner is Jew posted:

Tell your wife YOLO and get a Pro 2 + A4 since the A4 can trigger a bunch of poo poo on the Pro 2 via the CV track. :homebrew:

But really, I would hold out till MusikMesse since IMO the JD-Xi was the second best synth thing at NAMM behind the Prophet 6 and the JD-Xa gets unveiled there. Outside of that... maybe a Lead A1?

That's about the only thing the A4 is good for :holy:

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
My A4 gets here Friday and I can't wait :)

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
My friend was over at mine and after playing around with my shruthi xt he decided he wants a mono synth with as many controls accessible on the front panel/needing as little menu digging as possible. I didnt really have anything good to recommend him though, any ideas? his budget would be ideally 500, maybe max 1k but he did wince a little when I asked if he'd go that high.

shruthi xt's aren't on sale anymore, otherwise i'd have built him one.

e: I forgot about the ms-20mini. ha. is there a better option?

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Mar 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

cubicle gangster posted:

My friend was over at mine and after playing around with my shruthi xt he decided he wants a mono synth with as many controls accessible on the front panel/needing as little menu digging as possible. I didnt really have anything good to recommend him though, any ideas? his budget would be ideally 500, maybe max 1k but he did wince a little when I asked if he'd go that high.

shruthi xt's aren't on sale anymore, otherwise i'd have built him one.

e: I forgot about the ms-20mini. ha. is there a better option?

This Is only $540 and there is literally zero menu's to dive through. He'll have to get a keyboard to play it but it's a really cool little box for the price, in fact I might just have to pick one up.

Outside of that though the best bet would be a micro/minbrute or bass station 2.