Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I know women approaching thirty who genuinely believe in Slendermen(?) I don't tell them where it came from because a) It's good for a laugh and b) I'd have to admit that I'm a huge goon who reads too much of an online forum.

I want to replay the REMake but I bought it for my Xbox1 and y'know what? I just can't bring myself to do it.

It's the doors.

Now I know people claim it's an integral part of the Resident Evil experience. I put my time in when I was a teenager when the original came out. I went through the tension of entering a new area and I didn't mind then. I knew it was a cool way of masking loading times and it was asthetically cool and whatever, but I'm a grown man now. I'm closer to the grave than half the zombies in the game and watching a slow animation of a door opening just reminds me of a coffin lid closing... Only in reverse. I can't be doing with it.

No, joking aside it's really put me off. Someone like that Matthew mattosis fella could probably sum it up better than I could, but there's SO MUCH dead time and having played all the Resi games I just couldn't justify it on another run. If there was a speed up button or a skip button, even if it was an option after completing the game? I don't know. Should have picked it up for the PC so I could mod it or something.

That being said me and all me mates had a great weekend in with a few beers playing through it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

There's a mod for the PC copy thankfully, I played for a measly 5 minutes before the I shut the game down and started looking for ways to disable the doors.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Glad I'm not the only one. The itch is still there though and I'm wanting to do the speed run achievement at some point too. Might just save up a few hours worth of podcasts when I have a free weekend.

Just to save a little face I'm fine with the inventory and save system. I've seen people moan about that too. Now THOSE are core Resident Evil traits.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I wonder, if you did a 100% perfect run with no deviation or excess exploration - literally the perfect route through the game - how much time you'd actually have dedicated entirely to watching doors open.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Songbearer posted:

I wonder, if you did a 100% perfect run with no deviation or excess exploration - literally the perfect route through the game - how much time you'd actually have dedicated entirely to watching doors open.

If the developers had any self-awareness that would have been an end of game statistic.

Time Spent Watching Doors Open - X%

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
That's why I'd love to see Matthew Mattosis(spelling?) do a review of the game. That guy is utterly fascinating when it comes to these little details.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

I never thought I'd attempt a speedrun in any game but with REmake it is tempting. The limited inventory space makes it a fun puzzle to map out when and where to go with which items.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

I just put the clues together in terms of FNaF 3, the suits, and the original game's murders. :stonk:

vvv Nothing intricate at all, it's 1) pretty obvious as of the night two message and 2) one of my personal worst ways to die.

The night two message describes the suits having a retractable system to keep animatronic bits out of the way, allowing it to be worn as a mascot suit. Cue black humor warnings about dismemberment and death if the mechanism fails. The first game implied kids were dismembered and stuffed in the suits, but this suggests they were placed/lured in the suits and impaled/crushed instead.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Mar 3, 2015

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

I just put the clues together in terms of FNaF 3, the suits, and the original game's murders. :stonk:

Don't leave us in suspense about the intricate lore of Five Nights At Freddy's

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

ChogsEnhour posted:

That's why I'd love to see Matthew Mattosis(spelling?) do a review of the game. That guy is utterly fascinating when it comes to these little details.

I think he wants to do the PS2 Shin Megami Tensei games at some point but a series of reviews on the major Resident Evil games would be cool too.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PĂƒÂ„DOPHILIE MACHT FREI

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

vvv Nothing intricate at all, it's 1) pretty obvious as of the night two message and 2) one of my personal worst ways to die.

The night two message describes the suits having a retractable system to keep animatronic bits out of the way, allowing it to be worn as a mascot suit. Cue black humor warnings about dismemberment and death if the mechanism fails. The first game implied kids were dismembered and stuffed in the suits, but this suggests they were placed/lured in the suits and impaled/crushed instead.

You should finish the game. What's the new animatronic called?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Songbearer posted:

Well let's do the math for the PS1 version.

The fastest speed runs I've seen are about 1hr 14m so let's say 75 minutes for a good speed run. A quick count shows me there are 60+ doors/stairs in the first game. Throw in necessary backtracking like having to exit from one-door rooms and I think a safe number for load points is 120 on a perfect run. In the original game the load times averaged 7 seconds almost exactly.

So that gives us 840 seconds or 14 minutes worth of loading. A good 18% of the game is spent slowly going through doors or down stairs.

Now what's interesting to me that I didn't realize until just now: the HD edition has the exact same time frame for its load points even though they're unnecessary. And the speed runs are only about 10 minutes longer than the original due to new/extended areas. But Capcom, in their devotion to the original game, made the loading screens practically frame for frame identical. It's kind of like how Nintendo intentionally left in exploits in Ocarina of Time 3D, they were that devoted to the end product.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM
I do love how Scott kept feedback in mind while designing FNaF 3. A common criticism was that once you realized the mechanics of the games, the camera wasn't too important in the first two, only needing to pick it up to look at Foxy or to wind up the music box, because knowing where exactly the animatronics were wasn't that important; it only mattered once they showed up in an area where you could see them without needing the cameras.

Well you sure as poo poo need to use the cameras in 3, and knowing where Spring Trap is is very important, as your only means of fending him off doesn't work if he's not close enough to hear it.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, I was kinda disappointed at how "light" FNAF3 feels at first, but the more I think about it the more I feel it's just refined - rather than bombarding you with a hundred and one new game mechanics, it's simply squaring you off against a singular, intelligent enemy you need to outwit rather than simply brute force.

Doesn't beat the first game but I can't really hold that against it. Scott seems to want to tell the final bit of his Freddy story and it's kinda cute he's devoted so much time to that. :3:

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
Anyone ITT tried White Night? The graphics look incredible, but I don't know anything about the game other than that.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/301560/

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Jmcrofts posted:

Anyone ITT tried White Night? The graphics look incredible, but I don't know anything about the game other than that.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/301560/
Never heard a thing about it until now, but I just impulse bought it, I'll check it out and report back if no one else does before me.

Not a single Steam review or much press of any kind, it seems like, that's kinda odd. Looks like the game came out of nowhere. Appears to be really unique though so here's hoping!

e: the options menu is awesome so far, they do something really cool with sound that took me a minute to realize what was happening. Menu: 9/10

RightClickSaveAs fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Mar 4, 2015

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010
So from what I gleaned from the dialogue from Phone Guy in FNaF 3:

The animatronics from FNAF 1 might actually be the "temporary" models for the original spring-lock suits. Which explains why they're so creepy looking and why no one really does anything about it. "Keep in mind that they were found on very short notice, so questions about appropriateness/relevance should be deflected."

If this is correct, it kind of implies that Springtrap is what Bonnie was intended to look like (not colorwise, that golden look seems to happen to all of the suits once they're old.)

This also leads me to believe that Golden Freddy is the original spring-lock model of Freddy.

Conro101
Jan 6, 2012

Dr. Conro James Norock, Robot Sarcasm Master

Adder Moray posted:

So from what I gleaned from the dialogue from Phone Guy in FNaF 3:

The animatronics from FNAF 1 might actually be the "temporary" models for the original spring-lock suits. Which explains why they're so creepy looking and why no one really does anything about it. "Keep in mind that they were found on very short notice, so questions about appropriateness/relevance should be deflected."

If this is correct, it kind of implies that Springtrap is what Bonnie was intended to look like (not colorwise, that golden look seems to happen to all of the suits once they're old.)

This also leads me to believe that Golden Freddy is the original spring-lock model of Freddy.

I figured he was talking about the suits performers wear, not the main animatronics. I was under the assumption they just grabbed some random bugs bunny costumes to give the actors.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Conro101 posted:

I figured he was talking about the suits performers wear, not the main animatronics. I was under the assumption they just grabbed some random bugs bunny costumes to give the actors.

Given the corpse inside Spring Trap, I'd say the main animatronics once upon a time were the spring-lock models, perhaps way back in the days of Fredbear's Family Diner, which would explain why that place shut down. If the suits actually do fade to that yellowish color with age, then perhaps the Give Cake mini-game from 2 doesn't have you playing as Freddy, but rather Golden Freddy before his color faded. Doesn't that game end with a Golden Freddy jumpscare?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Shadowlyger posted:

Given the corpse inside Spring Trap, I'd say the main animatronics once upon a time were the spring-lock models, perhaps way back in the days of Fredbear's Family Diner, which would explain why that place shut down. If the suits actually do fade to that yellowish color with age, then perhaps the Give Cake mini-game from 2 doesn't have you playing as Freddy, but rather Golden Freddy before his color faded. Doesn't that game end with a Golden Freddy jumpscare?

IIRC that one ends with a Puppet jumpscare, since it's the first kid that dies, and he's the one that possesses the puppet. Gold Fred jumpscares on the GIVE GIFTS/LIFE minigame

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
FNAF has the dumbest lore

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Improbable Lobster posted:

FNAF has the dumbest lore

Not any dumber than any other horror game franchise at this point, tbh

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
It was a lot better off just having the animatronics not being actively malevolent powered by the souls of murdered children and more that they just don't understand why you're not in a suit and they just want to help you.

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Gotta agree with that. Although I like the undercurrent of something more sinister at work than animatronics on the fritz, I wish it was more ambiguous and could have been interpreted either way while the corpse in spring trap kinda leaves little doubt.

I'm still a little confused by the timeline of events though. In the first two the guard appears to use a tablet pc to monitor the cameras, yet fnaf1 was set 30 years before the latest one? Is 3 set in the future? And people refer to 2 as a prequel despite iirc the phone guy referring to the new conspicuous lack of doors, which were key in 1 and the new animatronics?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
It's also lost that Illbleed-esque dark comedy that I thought made it more unique too. (i.e. you getting paid less than minimum wage for the entire five nights)

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
You actually got paid the correct US minimum wage for the time period the games are set. :haw:

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
I'm not even going to pretende I understand much of FNaF's lore, but it seems they developed it by overcomplicating it. Unless you're Kojima or Capcom, I don't see that ever turning out good.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Honest Thief posted:

I'm not even going to pretend I understand much of FNaF's lore, but it seems they developed it by overcomplicating it. Unless you're Kojima or Capcom, I don't see that ever turning out good.

It's a simple ghost story told in an oblique way. Honestly I give it props just for being a video game plot that exploits its medium, there's not nearly enough of those around.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Never heard a thing about it until now, but I just impulse bought it, I'll check it out and report back if no one else does before me.

Not a single Steam review or much press of any kind, it seems like, that's kinda odd. Looks like the game came out of nowhere. Appears to be really unique though so here's hoping!

e: the options menu is awesome so far, they do something really cool with sound that took me a minute to realize what was happening. Menu: 9/10

I also ended up impulse buying White Night. I streamed the first couple hours if anyone is interested

http://www.twitch.tv/jmcrofts/b/632381601?t=2m50s

Thoughts on the game:
-Amazing look
-Scarier than I expected
-Puzzles are super simple but I don't mind really.

So far I like it a lot.

Jmcrofts fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Mar 4, 2015

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Hamshot posted:

And people refer to 2 as a prequel despite iirc the phone guy referring to the new conspicuous lack of doors, which were key in 1 and the new animatronics?

To put it simply, the game is taking your knowledge of the previous game and using it to influence you to make assumptions where you shouldn't. He mentions the conspicuous lack of doors (of course that's conspicuous. What security office in any professional establishment doesn't have doors? That seems like a massive security risk even if there weren't any murderous robots) and the new animatronics (the old animatronics are a relic from the original establishment, Fredbear's Family Diner, run by different owners, who sold the rights to the new owners. After the events of FNaF 2 the new characters have to be scrapped and the new owners use what little money they have left to refurbish the original characters and move into a smaller location in time for FNaF 1) and says something about how the building can't run out of power (a weak attempt to placate you. "Well, your flashlight may run out of power but the building won't! You may be on fire but at least you're not also sinking in quicksand! :haw:")

At no point does the game actually mention Freddy Fazbear's Pizza but it keeps everything just vague enough that you think you're connecting all the dots correctly when in actuality you're zig-zagging between dots on two completely different pictures. Until the very end of the game where a major event occurs (The Bite of '87) that firmly places the second game before the first chronologically.

dijon du jour fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Mar 4, 2015

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
I really don't like care for the limited matchsticks in White Night, and the way the camera shifts around is disorienting and makes it more difficult to remember where unexplored doors are - I'm also the kind that likes to check ever nook and cranny but also tends to miss things (so no idea where the second knife is). I'm out of matchsticks atm (I know there's some left in the other rooms) and I think running makes them deplete faster? And sometimes they fail to light. And then for some interactables you need both hands. I assume it's insta-death when in the dark for too long. The last time I was annoyed by a mechanic like this in a horror game was Amnesia, but at least then you could get by through bringing up then quickly extinguishing the lamp to get around.

Relin fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Mar 4, 2015

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I think matches are infinite - boxes have definitely reappeared in places I've already grabbed them from.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I'm on like Chapter 11 of Evil Within and I'm wodering is there a story behind why the game has so many stealth elements but pretty much no purpose behind them? There's a couple of segment where you can sneak but 99% of the time you're just in a corridor shooting guys, but there's still stuff to hide in scattered about.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Evil Within is just one of those games that just has no idea what it wants to be.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Just watched how you're supposed to get the good ending in FNAF3 and lol that's some convoluted poo poo for not much payoff

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010
So, as you could probably guess due to my lack of posts in regards to the previous FNAF games, I'm not much for all the theory crafting. However, this last one has added a bunch of pieces to the story's puzzle that I'm thinking about. None of the more esoteric stuff, but I'm currently banging out a timeline of events. Thus far:

Prior to the games:

- Fred Bear's Family Diner opens.

- A child is killed outside of Fred Bear's Family Diner
(FNAF 2 minigame Take Cake to the Children)

-HYPOTHESIS: The Freddy played in this mini-game is Golden Freddy. The gold coloration is due to age and wear. Spring-Bonnie is the same color and the Phantom Animatronics (save for the Marionette), which are now quite old themselves, are as well (though these are admittedly hallucinations)

- Fred Bear's Family Diner sells out to Fazbear Entertainment
(FNAF 2 Night 5 Phone call "We're gonna the original restaurant owner" "It's been closed for years though")

- Freddy Fazbear's Pizzeria opens in various locations utilizing 2 multipurpose, Spring-Lock suits, both animatronic and wearable. Golden Freddy and Spring-Lock Bonnie
(FNAF 3, Night 2. "Right now we have two specially designed suits, that double as both animatronic and suits.")
(FNAF 3 Golden Freddy mini-game)

- Accident occurs at primary location involving an employee and a spring-lock suit. Spring-Lock suits are locked away in safe rooms found at every location. These rooms are not on the digital blue-print, are invisible to the animatronics, and have no cameras.
(FNAF 3 Night 3. "Every location is built with one extra room that is not included in the digital map layout program for the animatronics or security system. This room is hidden to customers, invisible to animatronics, and is always off camera.)
(FNAF 3, Night 4. "After learning of an unfortunate incident at the central location, involving multiple and simultaneous spring-lock failures, the company has deemed the suits temporarily unfit for employees." "... The classic suits are being retired to an appropriate location while being looked at by our technicians.")
(FNAF 3, Night 5. "The safe room is reserved for equipment and/or other property not being currently used..." "... The spring-Bonnie animatronic has been noticeably moved.")

- Golden Freddy and Spring-Bonnie are replaced with inappropriate/irrelevant costumes with the intention of replacing them with appropriate animatronics later.
(FNAF 3, Night 4. “Until replacements arrive, you'll be expected to wear the temporary costumes provided to you. Keep in mind that they were found on very short notice, so questions about appropriateness/relevance should be deflected.”)

- HYPOTHESIS: Chica and Foxy were the irrelevant suits found on short notice, Regular Freddy, and Regular Bonnie were the eventual replacements for Golden Freddie and Spring-Bonnie. Chica and Foxy also got full on animatronics.

- Golden Freddy and Spring-Bonnie costumes at all locations are sealed away in the safe rooms.
(FNAF 3, Night 6. “Due to budget restrictions, the previously mentioned safe rooms are being sealed at most locations. Including this one.” “Nothing is being taken out beforehand...”

- FNAF 2 Freddy's Fazbear's Pizza location constructed.

- HYPOTHESIS: The previous location discussed in FNAF 2, Night 1 is the FNAF 1 Freddy Fazbear's Pizza. Given that there were only 6 or so years between FNAF 2 and FNAF 1, and that some of that time had to be spent with no open Freddy Fazbear's Pizza locations, it is unlikely for the FNAF 1 building to be newly constructed and in that rundown of a condition in only. Therefore I propose that the central location prior to FNAF 2, which was stated to have been left to rot, was the FNAF 1 building. Which they returned to once the company had to restructure and reduce costs.

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
When did the murders occur in that timeline? Prior to FNAF 2, when there was just Golden Freddy at Fred Bear's Family Diner (the FNAF 2 minigame), that child's ghost became the marionette I assume, and then the others after the 4 original animatronics are finally introduced but still prior to FNAF 2 to explain why they're all psychotic then?

And something neat I noticed looking up stuff, the FNAF 2 Night 6 phonecall goes "Someone used one of the suits. We had a spare in the back, a yellow one, someone used it...now none of them are acting right." That must have been when the ghosts got the purple man into springtrap.

Hamshot fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Mar 5, 2015

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Imagine I just shot up two thousand fireworks that exploded in perfect harmony to spell out "YOU'RE OVERTHINKING THIS."

And beneath it, in slightly smaller letters, "NERD."

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Oxxidation posted:

Imagine I just shot up two thousand fireworks that exploded in perfect harmony to spell out "YOU'RE OVERTHINKING THIS."

:siren:Don't discuss horror games in the horror games thread, NERDS!:siren:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

Don't you post pages long reviews of Doctor Who episodes? :P

Hamshot posted:

When did the murders occur in that timeline? Prior to FNAF 2, when there was just Golden Freddy at Fred Bear's Family Diner (the FNAF 2 minigame), that child's ghost became the marionette I assume, and then the others after the 4 original animatronics are finally introduced but still prior to FNAF 2 to explain why they're all psychotic then?

And something neat I noticed looking up stuff, the FNAF 2 Night 6 phonecall goes "Someone used one of the suits. We had a spare in the back, a yellow one, someone used it...now none of them are acting right." That must have been when the ghosts got the purple man into springtrap.

The murders happened prior to the bite during FNAF2. That's why none of the suits were acting right. I'll write up a FNAF 1 through 3 timeline when I have time

As for why they were after you prior to that? Possibly company explanation, possibly the Marionette pulling the strings. We know one pf those explanations have to be true for Mangle, Baloon Boy, and the toy models, since they aren't possessed.

Adder Moray fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Mar 5, 2015