Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LadyThorne
Dec 12, 2005
The lazy
Shamanticore, new meta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Skywise turns every spell you have into a gods willing. Not bad at all.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Angry Grimace posted:

The idea they're having is that the ability is super cool or splashy or whatever. But nobody will ever actually get it off because they priced it way too high and the ability itself isn't actually all that good.

It's not priced too high for a Devotion deck, IMO.

VVV Honestly they might ban it for being too close to Biorhythm, which is already banned in EDH.

Scrimsax
Nov 29, 2014
Cards, even mythics, need to appeal to casual players as well - it's the reason we have mythics like Sage of Hours and Temporal Trespass.

But I'd run that thing in mono-green EDH in a heartbeat.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

bhsman posted:

It's not priced too high for a Devotion deck, IMO.

If you are getting to 11 devotion you almost assuredly would rather play something more impactful than a guy that gives you 1 devotion and does practically nothing else until you hit 11 and then when he does, doesn't necessarily win you the game. You're better off just Monstrousing a Polukranos for 11 and wiping their board and then attacking for more because Polukranos is actually a good card at all times.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

More like Shaman of Forgotten Plays right guys? :smug:

Seriously that's some garbage. Remind me what this Limited format is going to be again.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Angry Grimace posted:

If you are getting to 11 devotion you almost assuredly would rather play something more impactful than a guy that gives you 1 devotion and does practically nothing else until you hit 11 and then when he does, doesn't necessarily win you the game.

11 Devotion and/or any combination of decent Devotion, Xena-walker, having a second Nykthos in hand, etc. It's a nice 1 or 2-of in those decks since it helps you ramp into bigger stuff anyways and can block smaller creatures, and nothing more. Not sure why you feel so assured of using words like "never" with it.

EDIT:

quote:

You're better off just Monstrousing a Polukranos for 11 and wiping their board and then attacking for more because Polukranos is actually a good card at all times.

Exactly, which is why you would theorectically only run a singleton or two of the Shaman; it's a nice corner-case against matchups where your example isn't viable or unlikely, etc.

bhsman fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Mar 3, 2015

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

mcmagic posted:

But you need 8 mana...

Yes. That's the sole issue with this gameplan.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

bhsman posted:

11 Devotion and/or any combination of decent Devotion, Xena-walker, having a second Nykthos in hand, etc. It's a nice 1 or 2-of in those decks since it helps you ramp into bigger stuff anyways and can block smaller creatures, and nothing more. Not sure why you feel so assured of using words like "never" with it.

EDIT:

Exactly, which is why you would theorectically only run a singleton or two of the Shaman; it's a nice corner-case against matchups where your example isn't viable or unlikely, etc.

Except this guy costs 3 mana and a card. He isn't worth it for his abilities and stats. Bad card is bad.

I say "never" because nobody who's actually trying to win as opposed to pull some Timmy poo poo would actually play this card. The situation you're describing is what we call "win-more."

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Mar 3, 2015

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

weekly font posted:

Seriously that's some garbage. Remind me what this Limited format is going to be again.
Pretty sure you wanna crack DRAGON ACCELERATOR mythic in this format, actually. As first picks go the shaman is pretty amazing, pardoning the fact it can't pay megamorph costs. While he is a little slower a 2/3 rear end on a 3 mana card is far from irrelevant as elves and their ilk are wont to do.

Which does beg the question of why they'd print another somberwald sage now, of course.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

I don't think the shaman is that terrible. :shobon: I can't wait to see the first on-camera blowout with it and a mono-G devotion shell with some combo of the green siege, Hornet Queens/Pulokranos monstrous activations wiping the board, and shaman finisher.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Spiderdrake posted:

Pretty sure you wanna crack DRAGON ACCELERATOR mythic in this format, actually. As first picks go the shaman is pretty amazing, pardoning the fact it can't pay megamorph costs. While he is a little slower a 2/3 rear end on a 3 mana card is far from irrelevant as elves and their ilk are wont to do.

Which does beg the question of why they'd print another somberwald sage now, of course.

Also a 2/3 for 3 keeps the morphs off your butt in limited and being a DRAGON ACCELERATOR seems pretty amazing.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Kyrosiris posted:

I don't think the shaman is that terrible. :shobon: I can't wait to see the first on-camera blowout with it and a mono-G devotion shell with some combo of the green siege, Hornet Queens/Pulokranos monstrous activations wiping the board, and shaman finisher.

Because you'll need to win the game more after you have a hornet queen and a huge polukranos that just wiped their board...

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Angry Grimace posted:

Except this guy costs 3 mana and a card. He isn't worth it for his abilities and stats. Bad card is bad.

Because the best time to make final judgments about a card are within the first 30 minutes of you being aware of its existence? :v:

quote:

I say "never" because nobody who's actually trying to win as opposed to pull some Timmy poo poo would actually play this card. The situation you're describing is what we call "win-more."

Or a situation in which attacking with 8 power won't win you the game, and this guy would either kill an opponent or ensure that the ensuing combat would. Like I said, a corner case and worthy of maybe a 1 or 2-of. The rush to condemn it as unplayable seems misplaced.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Angry Grimace posted:

If your entire deck is a creature ramp deck it's an accelerant that taps for 2. The last ability might as well not be there, but if a ramp deck that's almost all creatures happens to exist, this guy slots right in. He's not great or anything, but he's a 3 drop which taps for 2.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Zoness posted:

Also a 2/3 for 3 keeps the morphs off your butt in limited.

It's certainly fine in limited, there will probably be uncommons and commons you'd want to take over it, but I wouldn't be upset at all about having to play it.

As for constructed, it's conceivable it sees fringe play for the ramp ability. The biorhythm effect is just flavor text.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

bhsman posted:

Because the best time to make final judgments about a card are within the first 30 minutes of you being aware of its existence? :v:

Or a situation in which attacking with 8 power won't win you the game, and this guy would either kill an opponent or ensure that the ensuing combat would. Like I said, a corner case and worthy of maybe a 1 or 2-of. The rush to condemn it as unplayable seems misplaced.

Dude, 99% of the time your first judgment is right. It doesn't have enough text to be that hard, man. Again, $10 to the charity of your choice if he gets into a game in a tournament on camera outside of limited (where you take him because he ramps).

A green deck is not gonna run this over Courser basically ever.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Mar 3, 2015

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

I could not possibly be more ready for a new Command cycle.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
It's a worse somberwald sage but with better stats and a second ability that only denies flavor text. Oh well.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I dunno I'd rather have Final Judgment than first judgment.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

bhsman posted:

In what deck do you want this over Courser, especially when Lightning Strike and Bile Blight are both very real considerations

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

I could not possibly be more ready for a new Command cycle.

I hope the other ones are better...

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

TheKingofSprings posted:

In what deck do you want this over Courser, especially when Lightning Strike and Bile Blight are both very real considerations

In a deck where Courser, Strike, and BB aren't in the format. :v:

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
BU Dragon Control Beat Down incoming

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

In a deck where Courser, Strike, and BB aren't in the format. :v:

So post Theros for the former and Never Ever for the latter two

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

im so freaking mad about edh cards!!!!!!!!!

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
A 3 drop 2/3 that taps for 2 of any color for creatures is perfectly fine. T1 mystic, t2 this guy, t3 storm breath/keranos/siege rhino with stubborn denial up or a leading thoughtseize? Sounds fine to me.

Pretend the ferocious isn't there and then evaluate.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Elyv posted:

If your entire deck is a creature ramp deck it's an accelerant that taps for 2. The last ability might as well not be there, but if a ramp deck that's almost all creatures happens to exist, this guy slots right in. He's not great or anything, but he's a 3 drop which taps for 2.

There are 3 dorks in Standard that are all better though.

Molybdenum posted:

A 3 drop 2/3 that taps for 2 of any color for creatures is perfectly fine. T1 mystic, t2 this guy, t3 storm breath/keranos/siege rhino with stubborn denial up or a leading thoughtseize? Sounds fine to me.

Pretend the ferocious isn't there and then evaluate.

Caryatid doesn't die to things.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

im so freaking mad about edh cards!!!!!!!!!

I just want some dope cube cards and I'm spoiled after Fate Reforged.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

weekly font posted:

I just want some dope modern/legacy cards

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

TheKingofSprings posted:

So post Theros for the former and Never Ever for the latter two

All of those cards are leaving standard at the same time.

They might reprint Strike in Origins but Bile Blight will probably be gone for a while.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Cernunnos posted:

They might reprint Strike in Origins but Bile Blight will probably be gone for a while.

Lightning Strike is probably going to be printed from now until they decide to reprint Lightning Bolt.

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Legendary Enchantment Creature -- Bird God
I like that Ojutai's Command's art is a take on Jeskai Ascendancy.

The efreet are gone :ohdear:

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
But Searing Spear > Lightning Strike :qq:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Cernunnos posted:

There will be some kind of 3 damage burn spell from here to kingdom come, and we will not be without a Bile Blight variant for long.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Angry Grimace posted:

Dude, 99% of the time your first judgment is right.

MTGSalvation.txt

quote:

It doesn't have enough text to be that hard, man.

It has more than Elvish Mystic which you originally compared it to.

quote:

Again, $10 to the charity of your choice if he gets into a game on camera. My money's safe.

You are, like, obsessed with proving this card you've only known about for an hour is bad. Admittedly I missed the bet offer (did you edit it in a previous post?), but I'm sure there are stipulations beyond "could technically appear on any streamed game of Constructed magic in any format, for all time?" :v:

TheKingofSprings posted:

Why are you assuming I would replace Courser with this? EDIT: I don't play the deck personally, but perhaps replace a single Mystic with this? A single Caryatid? I guess I'd just like to have that sort of discussion than an immediate "This card is bad and you should make a bet you're assured to lose if you say otherwise. :smug:" Like, what the gently caress is the point otherwise?

bhsman fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Mar 3, 2015

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

repost for new page:

Incredibly useless looking "Mythic"

:siren: NEW COMMAND CYCLE :siren:

Elyv posted:

Intro pack rares.

these will go great in my edh deck

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Scrimsax posted:

Cards, even mythics, need to appeal to casual players as well - it's the reason we have mythics like Sage of Hours and Temporal Trespass.

But I'd run that thing in mono-green EDH in a heartbeat.

Yeah I'm sure casual Timmy players don't play with Jace TMS or snapcaster or cryptic command because they're too powerful. We've had this discussion before and everyone does better if a card is a good, not just "spikes." Imagine if that cool green creature summoned a couple 5/5s with trample for the cost instead - or anything more useful than the garbage it does. Timmy's definitely gonna say no to that.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Starving Autist posted:

It's certainly fine in limited, there will probably be uncommons and commons you'd want to take over it, but I wouldn't be upset at all about having to play it.

As for constructed, it's conceivable it sees fringe play for the ramp ability. The biorhythm effect is just flavor text.

I actually can't think of anything outside of a format-buster like pack rat that I'd take over this guy in limited.

-Hugely relevant body
-Single Color
-Breaks the curve badly in a very curve-oriented, high-cost, high-power format
-Comes down at the most critical point (lets you leapfrog the deadzone of t4 and go straight to t5/6 where all the gamebusters come online
-Incidental ability for super weird fringe cases that won't happen

Virtually any opening hand with this guy is a monster hand and he's mad easy to build around. He'll never rot in your hand like a 5play bomb and he isn't at all bad even if you have nothing immediate to ramp into. Glad he's mythic because limited would NOT be fun with him at another rarity.

I Love You! fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Mar 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

I Love You! posted:

I actually can't think of anything outside of a format-buster like pack rat that I'd take over this guy in limited.

-Hugely relevant body
-Single Color
-Breaks the curve in a curve-oriented, high-cost, high-power format
-Incidental ability for super weird fringe cases that won't happen

Virtually any opening hand with this guy is a monster hand and he's mad easy to build around. Glad he's mythic because limited would NOT be fun with him at another rarity.

Yeah I agree w/ this 100%. Even at rare the guy would show up too often.

• Locked thread