Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
That green mythic is almost good. With it and Elvish Mystic you can get to 6 mana on turn 3. But the creature-only clause is lame, even the green ramp deck wants to cast planeswalkers and Shamanic Revelations. The other ability looked really cool until I realized it cost eleven loving mana. Not even the Nykthos decks are into that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Angry Grimace posted:

There are 3 dorks in Standard that are all better though.

a) Yes, he's worse than Courser and Caryatid, but those guys will rotate out soon.
b) The kind of deck I think this guy would fit in wants more than 12 rampers. I should note that it's entirely possible that that deck will never exist in Standard; this card is not powerful enough to single-handedly cause a deck to be created.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Elyv posted:

a) Yes, he's worse than Courser and Caryatid, but those guys will rotate out soon.
b) The kind of deck I think this guy would fit in wants more than 12 rampers. I should note that it's entirely possible that that deck will never exist in Standard; this card is not powerful enough to single-handedly cause a deck to be created.

Caryatid will get replaced with some other 2 mana ramp spell. You have a point on Courser, but there will be new stuff rotating in and I find it very unlikely that this will be the best card for the 3 mana slot in constructed at that point.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Elyv posted:

There will be two more big sets (after DTK) before Courser and Caryatid rotate. Trying to predict what's playable in that metagame is impossible. (Though I'll predict that that Shaman won't be playable.)

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

bhsman posted:

MTGSalvation.txt

It has more than Elvish Mystic which you originally compared it to.

You are, like, obsessed with proving this card you've only known about for an hour is bad. Admittedly I missed the bet offer (did you edit it in a previous post?), but I'm sure there are stipulations beyond "could technically appear on any streamed game of Constructed magic in any format, for all time?" :v:

Why are you assuming I would replace Courser with this? EDIT: I don't play the deck personally, but perhaps replace a single Mystic with this? A single Caryatid? I guess I'd just like to have that sort of discussion than an immediate "This card is bad and you should make a bet you're assured to lose if you say otherwise. :smug:" Like, what the gently caress is the point otherwise?

You're not even losing anything on the bet. Just name the charity and if it shows up, I'll send money to it. Its easy and my money is safe.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Command Snap Command I can't handle the value.

Hurriquake dragon seems neat.

Kurash
May 12, 2008

If we're talking real value the Snapcaster is pointed at something else.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Zoness posted:

But Searing Spear > Lightning Strike :qq:

I would prefer Searing Spear, it just sounds cooler to "Spear you." than "Strike you."

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Snacksmaniac posted:

Command Snap Command I can't handle the value.

Hurriquake dragon seems neat.

That's a pretty mana intensive play though. I just wish the life gain mode was something a little more relevant.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

It felt insanely dirty every time I went turn 3 rattleclaw morph turn 4 6 drop in ktk draft and my only regret is that that dude is mythic and not colorless so I won't get to play him nearly as much

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

I Love You! posted:

I actually can't think of anything outside of a format-buster like pack rat that I'd take over this guy in limited.

-Hugely relevant body
-Single Color
-Breaks the curve badly in a very curve-oriented, high-cost, high-power format
-Comes down at the most critical point (lets you leapfrog the deadzone of t4 and go straight to t5/6 where all the gamebusters come online
-Incidental ability for super weird fringe cases that won't happen

Virtually any opening hand with this guy is a monster hand and he's mad easy to build around. He'll never rot in your hand like a 5play bomb and he isn't at all bad even if you have nothing immediate to ramp into. Glad he's mythic because limited would NOT be fun with him at another rarity.

I agree that he's good, I'm just not sure I wouldn't want to pick good removal or some mythic uncommon over it. The upside that you describe is real high, but the downside is real- if you draw it late game, it's pretty much worse than any morph.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Count Bleck posted:

I would prefer Searing Spear, it just sounds cooler to "Spear you." than "Strike you."

Yeah and "lightning strike" gives me nightmares of holding up for 40 hours of gameplay.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

That's a pretty mana intensive play though.

Command Snapcaster Bolt isn't nearly as much so though.

If there were more 2 mana value creatures in modern that would get played with this I'd almost think it could be pretty good

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Angry Grimace posted:

You're not even losing anything on the bet. Just name the charity and if it shows up, I'll send money to it. Its easy and my money is safe.

I appreciate it, but just send the Red Cross some money and theorycraft with me in this thread instead.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
A 2/3 for 3 is already pretty good in draft, the mana ability makes him very good and a deck with a bunch of other mana dorks (Whisperer of the Wilds) or the green siege would be pretty sweet, but that seems close to magical christmasland.

However, a UG deck splashing for Kiora, this man and a bunch of other acceleration could be hilarious.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
I almost don't want to see what they put on Silumgar's Command. Ojutai's is good but not breaking the bank like Cryptic was. I get the feeling Silumgar's might come close.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
If there were Titans or something in this format that green mythic might be worth it, but as is, 6 mana on turn 3 just isn't that much better than 5 right now. The big green deck is trying to ramp out things like Whisperwood Elemental, Polukranos, Arbor Colossus... I suppose it can get you Hornet queen a turn earlier. 5 mana seems to be the sweet spot for early ramp rather than 6 right now though. Maybe there'll be a super sweet green dragon at 6 though.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

TheKingofSprings posted:

If there were more 2 mana value creatures in modern that would get played with this I'd almost think it could be pretty good

Most decks in modern don't play 4x Cryptic and this card isn't as good as Cryptic... I'm sure it will see standard play though.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Cernunnos posted:

I almost don't want to see what they put on Silumgar's Command. Ojutai's is good but not breaking the bank like Cryptic was. I get the feeling Silumgar's might come close.

Pick 2:
- Mill 2
- Mill 3
- Mill 4
- Mill 5

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Cernunnos posted:

beaten with the joke but it'll be probably 3 mediocre abilities and mill x for the fourth

E:

mcmagic posted:

Most decks in modern don't play 4x Cryptic and this card isn't as good as Cryptic... I'm sure it will see standard play though.

All it needed was to not specify a graveyard and then it would be incredibly playable in control. Cantripping Goyf Grabber sounds like a fairly strong thing and it gives some added utility vs. burn

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Mar 3, 2015

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Angry Grimace posted:

That's a pretty mana intensive play though. I just wish the life gain mode was something a little more relevant.

But think of the value man!

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Silumgar's Command will probably be Kill target monocolored creature/draw 2 discard 1/counter target instant or sorcery/target player discards 2 cards.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

bhsman posted:

Silumgar's Command will probably be Kill target monocolored creature/draw 2 discard 1/counter target instant or sorcery/target player discards 2 cards.

I mean we're all hoping that the u/b command won't mill but honestly what are the odds of that.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Zoness posted:

I mean we're all hoping that the u/b command won't mill but honestly what are the odds of that.

Has UB/Sultai had any opponent-mill cards besides Nemesis Wave? The only other one I can think of are all Jeskai/Ojutai-related.

EDIT: As in cards meant to mill the opponent, not as a way to fuel Delve.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
All these rares are looking really strong for limited. If you hated that in FRF the rare was a windmill slam obvious first pick at least a third of the time, this set is probably going to be the same. We've seen like 8 or 9 rare dragons so far and they almost all look good-to-amazing.

bhsman posted:

They really don't like to do instant speed discard.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

TheKingofSprings posted:

beaten with the joke but it'll be probably 3 mediocre abilities and mill x for the fourth

E:

All it needed was to not specify a graveyard and then it would be incredibly playable in control. Cantripping Goyf Grabber sounds like a fairly strong thing and it gives some added utility vs. burn

Esper Archive Trap will TAKE it!

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

bhsman posted:

Has UB/Sultai had any opponent-mill cards besides Nemesis Wave? The only other one I can think of are all Jeskai/Ojutai-related.

EDIT: As in cards meant to mill the opponent, not as a way to fuel Delve.

Counterpoint they jammed inane nonsense like gain 4 life into a mode on the u/w command.

I get that gain life is a good rider on some cards but none of the other modes seem strong enough to really warrant a gain 4 life rider.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

Yeah I was thinking about it wrong and for some reason was thinking you had to pay to get the Snapcaster back (e.g. conflating Snapcaster's ability with the Command's ability)

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Zoness posted:

Counterpoint they jammed inane nonsense like gain 4 life into a mode on the u/w command.

The gain 4 life is just an alternate version of tap your opponent's team, it's just worse most of the time.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Zoness posted:

I get that gain life is a good rider on some cards but none of the other modes seem strong enough to really warrant a gain 4 life rider.

Jeskai/Ojutai stuff in Tarkir hasn't lacked for lifegain, though, so it sort of makes sense there. And lifegain is way more useful than pissant milling effects (as opposed to stuff like See the Unthinkable).

EDIT: Basically, lifegain or lifelink has shown up as a mechanic for the Jeskai/Ojutai, whereas dedicated offensive milling(?) hasn't really shown up for the Sultai/Silumgar.

EDIT2: Unless, of course, there are cards like that and I'm super wrong. :v:

bhsman fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Mar 3, 2015

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

Entropic posted:

All these rares are looking really strong for limited. If you hated that in FRF the rare was a windmill slam obvious first pick at least a third of the time, this set is probably going to be the same. We've seen like 8 or 9 rare dragons so far and they almost all look good-to-amazing.

They really don't like to do instant speed discard.

It's not unprecedented. One of Mardu Charm's modes is Duress.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

TheKingofSprings posted:

White doesn't take things from other graveyards that's more Blacks thing.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Zoness posted:

Its not really a rider here - its just a full on mode and when would you ever take 4 life over "draw a card?"

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Starving Autist posted:

The gain 4 life is just an alternate version of tap your opponent's team, it's just worse most of the time.

To parallel this the u/b command will use mill X as an alternate version of target player loses X life on profane command.

Although I hope they put the X on the R/G or R/B command. Honestly I just want a non-lovely red command this time around.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Angry Grimace posted:

Its not really a rider here - its just a full on mode and when would you ever take 4 life over "draw a card?"

You could in theory, playing some UW shell against a sligh/burn deck choose gain 4 draw, or gain 4 return target 2 drop to play such as Kor Firewalker.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Entropic posted:

If there were Titans or something in this format that green mythic might be worth it, but as is, 6 mana on turn 3 just isn't that much better than 5 right now. The big green deck is trying to ramp out things like Whisperwood Elemental, Polukranos, Arbor Colossus... I suppose it can get you Hornet queen a turn earlier. 5 mana seems to be the sweet spot for early ramp rather than 6 right now though. Maybe there'll be a super sweet green dragon at 6 though.

I feel like it would be more than a turn earlier to help you cast Hornet Queen. Even with Courser, is it common to make all your land drops for 8 turns in a row?

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
So Ojutai's command is absolutely boggling my mind. It's going to totally transform standard and not just because of the extremely good modes on it.

(Disclaimer: I'm sure other commands will be bonkers as well)

Here is a super basic play with that card and it basically counters any sort of tempo play from the opponent that involves tapping mana for any reason:

-Play in a deck with soulfire grand master and hordeling outburst or something
-Soulfire grandmaster dies whenever you cast it because duh
-EOT your opponent is tapped from casting a thing. Maybe they were trying to drop your life total to 0. Wups!
-Tap 4. Return soulfire to play. Pick whatever other mode you want (life or cards)
-Next turn, use tokens and soulfire to Stoke the flames. Return Stoke to hand with soulfire.

Congrats! You've just gained like 8 life and 2+ cards from a single instant! Hope your opponent wasn't trying to kill you because now they are hosed! Bonus points if you were able to use the card draw or counter modes instead of the lifegain because now you've won the game out of nowhere for doing what you would have done anyway.

Considering this is good against everything, even walkers due to the animate clause, I am super convinced standard is going to be smashed to pieces and reformed in the wake of this crazy garbage. Not to mention it's a straight-up softlock against any deck trying to win with creatures or damage with 8 mana and a Soulfire GM in play/yard that you can use to proactively dig through your deck and find more and more pressure while keeping your life total untouchably high.

Angry Grimace posted:

This mode is hilariously powerful at instant speed in the current standard where being finished off by a burn spell or a Siege Rhino ETB is par for the course. You never use it except when it saves your bacon/totally blows out the other guy which is often enough to be terrifying. It's also super good in the aforementioned Soulfire softlock to pair with the card draw if you have nothing else to do at EOT.

I Love You! fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Mar 3, 2015

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Cernunnos posted:

White doesn't take things from other graveyards that's more Blacks thing.

Then replace the 4 life with something, just don't make it "we're really loving scared of Cryptic Command"

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I Love You! posted:

So Ojutai's command is absolutely boggling my mind. It's going to totally transform standard and not just because of the extremely good modes on it.

Here is a super basic play with that card and it basically counters any sort of tempo play from the opponent that involves tapping mana for any reason:

-EOT your opponent is tapped from casting a thing. Maybe they were trying to drop your life total to 0. Wups!
-Tap 4. Return soulfire to play. Pick whatever other mode you want (life or cards)
-Next turn, use tokens and soulfire to Stoke the flames. Return Stoke to hand with soulfire.

Congrats! You've just gained like 8 life and 2+ cards from a single instant! Hope your opponent wasn't trying to kill you because now they are hosed! Bonus points if you were able to use the card draw or counter modes instead of the lifegain because now you've won the game out of nowhere for doing what you would have done anyway.

Considering this is good against everything, even walkers due to the animate clause, I am super convinced standard is going to be smashed to pieces and reformed in the wake of this crazy garbage. Not to mention it's a straight-up softlock against any deck trying to win with creatures or damage with 8 mana and a Soulfire GM in play/yard that you can use to proactively dig through your deck and find more and more pressure while keeping your life total untouchably high.

This mode is hilariously powerful at instant speed in the current standard where being finished off by a burn spell or a Siege Rhino ETB is par for the course. You never use it except when it saves your bacon/totally blows out the other guy which is often enough to be terrifying. It's also super good in the aforementioned Soulfire softlock to pair with the card draw if you have nothing else to do at EOT.

I enjoy your enthusiasm level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

I Love You! posted:

(Disclaimer: I'm sure other commands will be bonkers as well)

Source your quotes

• Locked thread