Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
aidoru
Oct 24, 2010

Sentient Data posted:

The cynic in me says they're designed to try to cut down on REPORTING of workplace accidents. If they name names, I bet plenty well think twice - "I can't tell them about my back pain after lifting that case of toilet paper alone, they'll think I'm such a pussy" or "ha, as if I'll tell them about my finger. Screw that claw form lecture again, my mother taught me the right way to use a knife and I'll be damned if someone tries to shove this cut in my face"

quote:

If a group email went out at my place of work (hospital) telling everyone about someone else's injury, they'd be used into the ground for breach of confidentiality.

They don't say who was injured, just what the person was doing at the time and their department. My company is nuts about getting everyone to report every single tiny incident, but I just don't see the point in telling the whole company when someone hurt their toe tripping on a tire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

aidoru posted:

I just don't see the point in telling the whole company when someone hurt their toe tripping on a tire.

for one week, everyone looks out for tires, until the tall guy hits his head on a sign

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

aidoru posted:

They don't say who was injured, just what the person was doing at the time and their department. My company is nuts about getting everyone to report every single tiny incident, but I just don't see the point in telling the whole company when someone hurt their toe tripping on a tire.
Its Friday night, are you guys ready for some corporate speak or what.

Its lean management stuff, where your individual teams are supposed to discuss the event and look at ways to continuously improve your work processes or worksite to prevent similar things from happening to you.

OK, less douchey time. To put it simply, they want to make sure noones going to gently caress up in exactly the same way and have the excuse to fire your rear end if you end up doing the exact same thing.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
It's because a lot of companies that, for example, have field and corporate offices, implement the same programs across the board. The "safety minute" every day at a rig site might actually be useful, because there's actual risks involved. The "safety minute" at corporate soon becomes a farce and you end up with stupid poo poo like "remember to hold onto the railing when going up or down stairs."

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

PT6A posted:

It's because a lot of companies that, for example, have field and corporate offices, implement the same programs across the board. The "safety minute" every day at a rig site might actually be useful, because there's actual risks involved. The "safety minute" at corporate soon becomes a farce and you end up with stupid poo poo like "remember to hold onto the railing when going up or down stairs."

Or awesome gems like, "Don't strain too hard when taking a poo poo, or you blow a gasket and the EMTs show up after Dave find's you unresponsive with your pants around your ankles."

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
I used to work in the office of a construction company. Absolutely nothing was dangerous. But they had safety slogan bullshit everywhere and, no joke, made everyone put lids on their coffee cups.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

Haruharuharuko posted:

What happens when there's a leak in a non winterized house

5 feet of water frozen solid.

So what does that do to the foundation as the water expands as it freezes?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
gently caress short people:

How much fuel have I put in? Who the gently caress knows!

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
It's not a bank if I can't make deposits :colbert:

Maybe there's a display on the handle?

Nefarious
Sep 26, 2000

by XyloJW

dietcokefiend posted:

So what does that do to the foundation as the water expands as it freezes?

same thing that happens to an ice tray

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Sentient Data posted:

It's not a bank if I can't make deposits :colbert:

Maybe there's a display on the handle?

When did Hyundai get into banking?

Niven
Apr 16, 2003

PT6A posted:

The "safety minute" at corporate soon becomes a farce and you end up with stupid poo poo like "remember to hold onto the railing when going up or down stairs."

You laugh, but when we did our initial week long safety training with a certain large oilfield service company they spent a good hour going over proper use of handrails going up and down stairs, the trailing hand technique, etc. Immediately afterwards we broke for lunch and the instructor stood at the top step to observe the dozen or so university graduate engineers descend the stairs using proper technique.

Proper trailing hand technique led to me catching my ring on the railing support, jamming it a few mm under my skin and up my pinky (degloving lite), which ironically had been the focus of the training that morning.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Nefarious posted:

same thing that happens to an ice tray

Probably not. Unlike an ice tray, the sides and bottom of the foundation are most likely well insulated by the earth, so heat transfer will be slower than with contact to the air. So a top-down freeze like a lake or pond. At the very least some serious cracks in the walls and floor, but severe damage compromising the integrity of the foundation is not out of bounds.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

flosofl posted:

Probably not. Unlike an ice tray, the sides and bottom of the foundation are most likely well insulated by the earth, so heat transfer will be slower than with contact to the air. So a top-down freeze like a lake or pond. At the very least some serious cracks in the walls and floor, but severe damage compromising the integrity of the foundation is not out of bounds.

Depends how fast the leak is, right?

Of course you could end up with a bunch of ice dams or something that just make poo poo even worse.

aidoru
Oct 24, 2010

Gorilla Salad posted:

gently caress short people:

How much fuel have I put in? Who the gently caress knows!

Wouldn't the dispensers drip onto the cars and ruin the paint?

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Niven posted:

You laugh, but when we did our initial week long safety training with a certain large oilfield service company they spent a good hour going over proper use of handrails going up and down stairs, the trailing hand technique, etc.

Stairs and Handrails Safety:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lUfb9h-yzE

Catchy tune!

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
How.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Drove in along the tracks from outside?

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Yeah haven't you ever played GTA?

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Here's an article about it in German: http://www.derwesten.de/staedte/dortmund/sued/betrunkener-faehrt-mit-dem-auto-in-u-bahn-schacht-id10405382.html

I am not good at German at all but I think it says the driver was drunk and drove onto some tracks near a tunnel entrance portal that was close to the underground station

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

It's good to have a sense of scale.

ElwoodCuse posted:

I used to work in the office of a construction company. Absolutely nothing was dangerous. But they had safety slogan bullshit everywhere and, no joke, made everyone put lids on their coffee cups.

Chevron, the gas company, had one of the worst safety ratings in the entire industry. They got a new CEO who was super serious about safety and now they're sitting at the top of the rankings every year. That's fantastic, but the byproduct is pretty bizarre.

I was doing office furniture for them, standard tear down and replace with new stuff. Done it a thousand times in shoes, company shirt and work jeans... but at Chevron, and I mean a downtown corporate office environment, I was wearing steel toes, a reflective vest and a hard hat. I endured the longest 'site orientation" I've ever done. Yet I was working next to office workers in business casual, tearing down stations and moving poo poo right next to them. Every single dolly loaded, regardless of what it was (one peice of furniture, six content boxes, whatever) needed to be handled by two men at all times. We had a ten foot, safety cone-and-tape corridor from the work area to the elevator, for our two man dolly-pushing crews.

This poo poo got so bad we had to add guys to the work crew in order to keep up our regular pace and deliver on time. Absolutely all of that stuff made sense out on the oil fields, and I have no issues with the safety gear when I'm on unfinished sites, or orientations for the same. But all of this to dismantle and move some furniture on an active floor was totally over the top. I did furniture in a literal nuclear reactor with less stringent safety measures. ("Here's your dosimeter, I'll check it on your way out")

Good on the company for being proactive and reducing accidents as much as they did but goddamn, all that in your office building is a bit overkill.

fuckingtest
Mar 31, 2001

Just evolving, you know?
Right Here, Right Now.
My brother works for a <removed> company. Inside his work van there's a 5K watt genny that's also an air compressor and run's off the vans fuel supply and has a filter thing in the front that needs to be cleaned every 200 hours or something. This work van caught fire and burned to a crisp so OSHA had to investigate and now the yard manager is in deep poo poo because there's no maintenance log for replacing the the filter. According to my brother it's par for the course. A dozen or so years back a guy in a bucket lift van danced on a power line and his family got a nice big payout because the lawyer was able to prove the buckets controls were damaged before the accident yet it was still allowed to be used.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lw3k3Un9pNk Hooray for digs with no locate!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

OSHA Whistleblower Investigator Blows Whistle on Own Agency

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/OSHA-Whistleblower-Investigator-Blows-Whistle-on-Own-Agency--293711041.html

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

I think in that video, there was a locate done, but it was off by 6 feet. He points it out in the comments, and I think you can see the incorrectly laid markers.

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

not osha but it's electricity!

BWUHHH!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIuHbQSPjEA

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

Kazy posted:

I think in that video, there was a locate done, but it was off by 6 feet. He points it out in the comments, and I think you can see the incorrectly laid markers.

This is why at the company I work for we use Vac Trucks to to find all our locates before we do any real digging, especially if the utility is energized (hydro or gas).

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Hot Karl Marx posted:

This is why at the company I work for we use Vac Trucks to to find all our locates before we do any real digging, especially if the utility is energized (hydro or gas).

I can't remember if I posted in this thead about the dude I saw sticking his head in the hose of a vac truck (I assume looking for a blockage). I mean the suction wasn't on at the time but the engine was running and I figured it was pretty OSHA.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Is that a big tub of flour just sitting out in the open? :stare:

Tony Homo
Oct 30, 2014

by zen death robot

Yawgmoth posted:

Is that a big tub of flour just sitting out in the open? :stare:

That flour post reminded me that I used to use flour, since it's sorta lubricating, to masterbate to when I was a kid. And crisco. But it made a huge zit on my dick that I was so scared about that I actually showed my mom cause I thought it was cancer.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Niven posted:

You laugh, but when we did our initial week long safety training with a certain large oilfield service company they spent a good hour going over proper use of handrails going up and down stairs, the trailing hand technique, etc. Immediately afterwards we broke for lunch and the instructor stood at the top step to observe the dozen or so university graduate engineers descend the stairs using proper technique.

Proper trailing hand technique led to me catching my ring on the railing support, jamming it a few mm under my skin and up my pinky (degloving lite), which ironically had been the focus of the training that morning.

Yeah, I know. That wasn't an exaggeration, that was something that actually happened to my friend as well.

welcome 2 Clown Town
Aug 1, 2006

GALAXY'S #2 SCULL*!

*scrunt skull

Tony Homo posted:

That flour post reminded me that I used to use flour, since it's sorta lubricating, to masterbate to when I was a kid. And crisco. But it made a huge zit on my dick that I was so scared about that I actually showed my mom cause I thought it was cancer.

richardm
Jul 15, 2004

Question: How can you tell how much fuel is left in a tanker?

Answer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5M--0CSZ1I

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

... you're just creepy ...
:stare:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

richardm posted:

Question: How can you tell how much fuel is left in a tanker?

Answer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5M--0CSZ1I

Did a lighter really cause that? Gasoline is generally hard enough to ignite that a cigarette lighter or match dropped into it will extinguish rather than set the whole thing off. Unless it ignited fumes?

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

chitoryu12 posted:

ignited fumes

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

chitoryu12 posted:

Did a lighter really cause that? Gasoline is generally hard enough to ignite that a cigarette lighter or match dropped into it will extinguish rather than set the whole thing off. Unless it ignited fumes?

Hey dummy think of the amount of fumes building up in an enclosed cylinder above a literal swimming pools worth of gas.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I can't remember if I posted in this thead about the dude I saw sticking his head in the hose of a vac truck (I assume looking for a blockage). I mean the suction wasn't on at the time but the engine was running and I figured it was pretty OSHA.

Yeah they do that a lot cause rocks and other poo poo in the ground (they will just leave old sidewalks and walls of buildings underground sometimes) get stuck in there. It's really bad if you're working in an area that's mostly cobble/pit run, and they usually put a reducer on to lessen the chance of a block. Then it's another can of worms if it's blocked at the turret at the top cause then you need to tie off (well, you're supposed to, but it rarely happens) and work on a rounded surface like 15' up.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem
Hey can some one link me to that pipe lance pipe cleaner thing that backed out and cut the dude in half. It was posted somewhere in this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

john oliver's last week tonight had a whole long section on crumbling infrastructure in the united states, it was very osha.jpg. they had edward norton as their a-list movie star for the hollywood blockbuster Infrastructure

• Locked thread