Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

The one where Not Tom Paris kills that guy because the Federation's Blue Angels are awful at their jobs is actually pretty insightful into how these guys work and think, but without requiring much background on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Sash! posted:

The one where Not Tom Paris kills that guy because the Federation's Blue Angels are awful at their jobs is actually pretty insightful into how these guys work and think, but without requiring much background on them.

True enough, but would you really want to introduce someone to TNG with a Wesley-centric episode, even if it is the best Wesley-centric episode? :v:

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Pakled posted:

True enough, but would you really want to introduce someone to TNG with a Wesley-centric episode, even if it is the best Wesley-centric episode? :v:

look you have to deal with him eventually anyhow

Apple Jax
May 19, 2008

IDIC 4 LYF
The Onion's comic today:

I freaking love it.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Why is Time's Arrow such a joke? I know it's not perfect (being Trek) but I've always found it pretty dang fun.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Trent posted:

Why is Time's Arrow such a joke? I know it's not perfect (being Trek) but I've always found it pretty dang fun.

Probably because Data swindles time-traveling Cowboy Dukat in the poker game.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Trent posted:

Mark loving Twain. Goddamn, I wanna strangle him every time he speaks.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxCW9xmamzQ

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I'm not sure the motion blur on the title fly-bys is really consistent with the technique you're describing. Maybe they did it stop-motion for the first pilot?

You know, I'm not sure about that motion blur. But I'm pretty drat sure they didn't have motion control when they did the title flybys. Perhaps they deliberately created motion blur with some additional technique for those shots?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Mister Kingdom posted:

I love every second he is on screen.

edit: whenever he's not on screen all the other characters should be saying, "Where's Mr Clemens?"

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

MikeJF posted:

You know, I'm not sure about that motion blur. But I'm pretty drat sure they didn't have motion control when they did the title flybys. Perhaps they deliberately created motion blur with some additional technique for those shots?

So here's what Inside Star Trek had to say about the process:

quote:

In earlier visits to the Anderson Company's Fairfax Avenue stage, Justman had been amazed to see how long it took to set up and film just one shot of the over twelve-foot model of the Enterprise. Using an old Fearless camera dolly and metal Durel tracks, Darrell Anderson filmed the ship by dollying toward or away from it or, for flybys, dollying past it sideways. The Anderson crew never knew whether the shots would be any good - they had to wait to see dailies. And even then, the slightest bump or wiggle, though not apparent when first screened, would show up disastrously when the shot was finally combined with the "moving-stars" background.

Bob Justman then directly writes his own recollection of a meeting with Darrell Anderson where, expecting to see some twenty "must-have" composited shots of the Enterprise after several months of work, Bob and Gene are shown only six good ones (plus a few "partially usable" ones). Darrell Anderson then broke down screaming "You'll never make your first airdate!" and ran from the room, as he had worked himself to exhaustion over the prior months trying to produce the ordered material.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I mean, keep in mind Mike, this is America; we're rich enough to shoot sitcoms on 35mm film, we can afford to blow some film on wasted takes of manual dollying. :smug:

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Time's Arrow is the best episode of Doctor Who Star Trek ever made.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Trent posted:

It's a great episode and people who disagree are lousy haters.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Apollodorus posted:

It's a great episode and people who disagree are lousy haters.
:techno::hf::c00l:

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Mister Kingdom posted:

Speaks, hoots, what's the difference

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxCW9xmamzQ

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

I will fight you.

Seriously Mark Twain is awesome. The fact that Trek had an episode featuring him is reason number #4 that I prefer Star Trek to any other sci-fi out there.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

For ENT I'd do Minefield and Dead Stop, since they flow into each other, then cap it off with North Star.

Sash! posted:

Speaks, hoots, what's the difference

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Rd5DlT_m8I

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
I'm not clear anymore on what prompted this whole best intro episodes thing, but if Star Trek somehow gets you laid, please update us asap.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Zurui posted:

I can't believe no one has suggested Data's Day. It's pretty much designed to be an introduction to Trek.

This and also there's Keiko being a bitch less than 2min in. It's got everything.

Scudworth fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Mar 3, 2015

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Apple Jax posted:

The Onion's comic today:

I freaking love it.

Goddammit when I find myself agreeing with a Kelly I know something's wrong.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Apollodorus posted:

I will fight you.

Seriously Mark Twain is awesome. The fact that Trek had an episode featuring him is reason number #4 that I prefer Star Trek to any other sci-fi out there.

I don't remember what he sounded like, but I'll always remember Jean-Luc's atrocious acting, and the landlady calling him "MISSter Pickerd!"

Course I saw it when I was a young boy and funny mispronunciations of people's names was the height of comedy

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

mind the walrus posted:

Goddammit when I find myself agreeing with a Kelly I know something's wrong.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Low Desert Punk posted:

Brooks would be loving terrifying to have a professor. I feel like he's always 2 seconds away from snapping someone's neck and laughing about it.

My dad had him as a drama professor. He was fairly normal. This would've been real early in his career though, first or second year teaching.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
What, no Q-Who?

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Grand Fromage posted:

My dad had him as a drama professor. He was fairly normal. This would've been real early in his career though, first or second year teaching.

My mom co-starred in a play with him in college. She doesn't talk about it much, but I imagine some :420: might have happened.

armoredgorilla posted:

I'm not clear anymore on what prompted this whole best intro episodes thing, but if Star Trek somehow gets you laid, please update us asap.

Star Trek got me laid--and better yet, engaged to be married. I knew I'd made a good call when we set up our first Christmas tree together and she had two Trek ornaments.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Apollodorus posted:

I will fight you.

I was agreeing with you :gonk:

I love me some Twain, and a Guinan episode, and a cliffhanger, and sensible chuckles throughout. The actual plot with the Branch Dividian snake handlers was whatever.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

armoredgorilla posted:

if Star Trek somehow gets you laid, please update us asap.
^^^ thread title

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Trent posted:

I was agreeing with you :gonk:

I love me some Twain, and a Guinan episode, and a cliffhanger, and sensible chuckles throughout. The actual plot with the Branch Dividian snake handlers was whatever.

Sorry!

You have excellent and refined tastes and are cool.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

armoredgorilla posted:

Aatrek?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Time's Arrow owns

http://tf2tags.com/view-28894

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Can't be, didn't suggest "And The Children Shall Lead" or "Rascals" as intro episodes.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

This is one of those "ironic" comics that parodies terrible editorial cartoons, right?

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

Big Mean Jerk posted:

This is one of those "ironic" comics that parodies terrible editorial cartoons, right?

Yes, it's from The Onion. Usually he puts a weeping Statue of Liberty in the background.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Kelly isn't ironic, he's satirical :colbert: He's also loving magical, as this thread evidences.

Anyway best TNG episode is Up The Long Ladder. Space Irish Hillbillies! I wonder what Colm Meaney thought of it?

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Mister Adequate posted:

Kelly isn't ironic, he's satirical :colbert: He's also loving magical, as this thread evidences.

Anyway best TNG episode is Up The Long Ladder. Space Irish Hillbillies! I wonder what Colm Meaney thought of it?

He hated it, but didn't feel like he had the clout to protest.

Later, in the first season of DS9, he did protest being assigned a dream leprechaun and they rewrote it to be Rumplestiltskin.

This is not a joke.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

armoredgorilla posted:

if Star Trek somehow gets you laid, please update us asap.

It's not that Star Trek won't help get you laid, but you have to be attractive anyway.

armoredgorilla posted:

Later, in the first season of DS9, he did protest being assigned a dream leprechaun and they rewrote it to be Rumplestiltskin.

This is not a joke.

After Up the Long Ladder I'd protest too.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

armoredgorilla posted:

This is not a joke.

This is also how some wrestling storylines get written. A wrestler will be given some terrible angle to work with and hate it, but won't have the courage to talk to Vince about it, so they'll get hit with something even worse down the road once their dissatisfaction and weak-willed response becomes known.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
I'm always surprised at how much Star Trek and wrestling fans intersect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Nerdy boys love the poo poo out of soap operatics and melodrama, and wrestling, Star Trek, and superhero comics have an abundance of both.

• Locked thread