Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
For tonight's All-Star game, I'm just gonna bring out every stick I have and play with each of my 8 over the course of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeNofa
Aug 25, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

What is wrong with my feet, please advise.

I've been skating in a ratty old pair of Vapor XIVs that I bought at PIAS a few months ago. They're 8EE and were a bit tight when I first got them but now fit pretty well. I went to try on some new skates today; Supremes in 8D were painful on the top of my foot and up near the toe cap, but Vapor X70 in 8D first like a glove.

That said, X70 seems like a solid skate from everything I'm seeing online. Is it worth moving up to the X80/90 for longevity, or is there not a huge gain for the cost upgrade over the X70?

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

DeNofa posted:

I've been skating in a ratty old pair of Vapor XIVs that I bought at PIAS a few months ago. They're 8EE and were a bit tight when I first got them but now fit pretty well. I went to try on some new skates today; Supremes in 8D were painful on the top of my foot and up near the toe cap, but Vapor X70 in 8D first like a glove.

That said, X70 seems like a solid skate from everything I'm seeing online. Is it worth moving up to the X80/90 for longevity, or is there not a huge gain for the cost upgrade over the X70?

There's nothing wrong with them. The three Bauer lines fit very differently (Vapor is super tight and too narrow for me, Supremes fit great) for different types of feet. The jump from x70 to 80/90 is probably significant, since it takes you from a lower tier to a mid/mid-high tier (I k ow that difference was pretty notable for my Supreme.8s. That said, if you wait about a month, you'll see clearance sales on this year's models start popping up, as next year's inventory begins to roll in, and you could probably save $100-200 on an x80/90 skate. I think the 2013 Supreme .8s retailed for close to $400 (not unlike the x80s), and I bought them early last April for right around $200. A month probably won't make much of a difference to you in the meantime, but getting that one or two models up skate for the same or cheaper price as you could get an x70 now is likely to make a big difference for you long term.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

The How To Hockey guy is one of the winners for a contest Molson is running :3: He gets to go up to that rink they built in the mountains and will likely end up in a commercial similar to how the dad/son did. Neat.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

DeNofa posted:

8ee are wide and 8d are standard (or narrow) so you tried on the narrower size than you currently have. Also skates feel different when baked as they mold around your feet.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Pleads posted:

The How To Hockey guy is one of the winners for a contest Molson is running :3: He gets to go up to that rink they built in the mountains and will likely end up in a commercial similar to how the dad/son did. Neat.

That's cool. I've watched a ton of his videos.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah he looks like a total hockey bro but puts some real good videos out there.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
He seems like the nicest guy ever and his videos are excellent. He also lives in the same town as my girlfriend's parents and has that classic northern Ontario accent. That's awesome that he won.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Habibi posted:

Oh I plan to be there. It's just going to be unpretty.

So after feeling like total poo poo all day, to the point of almost talking myself out of going to my first game in two weeks - I almost puked several times throughout the day, and aside from the coughing, felt sore all over and was in a mental and physic fog (starting to think it may have been something I ate) - ended up going because it was my first game in two weeks. Things started off predictably enough, as I fell twice on my first shift while transitioning forward to backward on my weak side, though both ended up being innocuous plays. We had five D, which I'm usually not a fan of, but in my condition it meant a bit more rest, so I wasn't complaining. Played a solid game, all things considered. Our opponents only had seven skaters show up, but they are the best team in the division and they were their best seven, so although they began to get visibly exhausted in the second period, it was still a challenge, and we ended up tied 2-2 and in a shootout - where nobody scored until I went out in the bottom of the third round and undressed their goalie with a forehand deke that left me enough time and net on the backhand to think "oh poo poo I better not screw this up." Thankfully, I didn't. All in all, great success.

DeNofa
Aug 25, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Habibi posted:

There's nothing wrong with them. The three Bauer lines fit very differently (Vapor is super tight and too narrow for me, Supremes fit great) for different types of feet. The jump from x70 to 80/90 is probably significant, since it takes you from a lower tier to a mid/mid-high tier (I k ow that difference was pretty notable for my Supreme.8s. That said, if you wait about a month, you'll see clearance sales on this year's models start popping up, as next year's inventory begins to roll in, and you could probably save $100-200 on an x80/90 skate. I think the 2013 Supreme .8s retailed for close to $400 (not unlike the x80s), and I bought them early last April for right around $200. A month probably won't make much of a difference to you in the meantime, but getting that one or two models up skate for the same or cheaper price as you could get an x70 now is likely to make a big difference for you long term.

Good point. My concern is that I'll wait too long and miss out. Everywhere online seems to have them marked down at about 20% under MSRP. I'll keep my eyes open!

Verman posted:

8ee are wide and 8d are standard (or narrow) so you tried on the narrower size than you currently have. Also skates feel different when baked as they mold around your feet.

Right, exactly. To me it just funny that 8EE in old Vapors would fit, while new Supremes in 8D don't at all and new Vapors in 8D fit like a glove although they're supposed to be the narrowest Bauer line.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

DeNofa posted:

Good point. My concern is that I'll wait too long and miss out. Everywhere online seems to have them marked down at about 20% under MSRP. I'll keep my eyes open!

You'll know the clearances have started when the new models go on sale. The 20% off stuff happens on a semi regular basis, and even then you want to make sure it's not 20% off everything but manufacturer protected items, which usually includes skates.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
We played a game last night. Same team as last week that we beat 7-3. Last game was a solid and fun game all around. They went up 3-0 and we slowly clawed back with a few lucky goals and played tighter defense. No rough play or anything like that, just a good clean game on both ends.

Lay night was wildly different.
They "recruited" two new guys who surprisingly didn't have team jerseys as well as a new goalie. Both new guys were 10x better than any other player in the league and scored at will. Easily B level players in a D league. Their line was responsible for every point scored. One scored 4 and three assists and the other 3 with 4 assists. Their other line mate scored the 8th goal.

When the guy scored his fourth goal the ref went to the score keeper to find out they were skating two guys with duplicate numbers and the ringer wasn't even on the roster even as an eligible sub but they let him stay in the game for some reason. Ref went to their bench to let him know he was cut off from scoring anymore. Its a way for the league to try minimizing the impact of ringers I suppose. He was upset and didn't understand.

The entire game was full of poo poo head plays like cross checks, high sticks, boarding, hits and interference calls on both sides. One of our guys got hit from behind and went awkwardly into the boards legs first. No call. Hes a really well tempered guy but loses his poo poo and immediately gets in the face of the offender who is also said ringer. He gets tossed for the game but nothing happens to their guy despite punches being thrown from both sides.

I had a breakaway and got slashed in the wrists and high sticked in the face when the guy behind me tried to stick lift. No call.

They gained control of the puck in their zone, moved towards ours and I was leaving the area in front of their goalie on my way to my zone when I got cross checked in the back and pushed to the ice way behind the play. No call.

When I got up and turned around to ask what that was I was, the defenseman says "it's hockey, don't be a pussy" and pushed me again as to instigate a fight. No call.

They got under our teams skin to say the least. Our team unraveled which drove me nuts because the discipline went out the window and that's the easiest way to lose a game. The problem was that both teams were equally chippy but ours were during the play and getting called whereas theirs were behind the play and out of sight of the ref. I can't blame the ref because he's one guy and can't see everything so he's always going to focus on the play but poo poo got out of hand.

We lost that game 8-1 and while their improved top line made a world of difference on the score sheet, we lost that game on discipline (or lack thereof) alone. I just wish the penalties could have been called tighter and kept the game in check. You can't win then all and I don't mind losing a fair and clean game but that poo poo killed me. Our line girl had the worst discipline of the team by far. She tries to chirp everybody and whines about everything. She's not a strong skater so any contact puts her on the ice which she always retaliates or screams for a call. She makes our team look like a bunch of sour assholes and says poo poo to people during the hand shakes and after the game when walking to their cars which I'm usually :stare: and act like in not associated with her. Everybody is constantly telling her to chill the gently caress out and stop instigating lovely play. I would love this team if we dropped 4 hot tempered people off the roster.

It's amazing to me that people feel the need to retaliate in a beer league. The retaliation is almost always guaranteed to get called. It's why people like Carcillo, Ott and Avery all made a living in the nhl.

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

success is a dream & achievements are the cream
Played outdoor puck at Klapprichs (don't know if anyone here is from Minnesota but it's in the west metro). Good times and I'm glad I made the effort to get out there & get some exercise. There are a lot more younger kids on the ice than I'm used to seeing, but maybe that's just because I have a girlfriend now & I'm getting old? In any case, it was a lot of fun.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Saying poo poo after the game in the line and outside is unacceptable. Gender, skating ability, etc is irrelevant. Whoever puts the team together puts a private email that if it happens again they're out. Leave it on the ice when the horn sounds. A general team email goes out as well echoing it. Simple as that.

8-1 is a boat race though.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

sellouts posted:

Saying poo poo after the game in the line and outside is unacceptable. Gender, skating ability, etc is irrelevant. Whoever puts the team together puts a private email that if it happens again they're out. Leave it on the ice when the horn sounds. A general team email goes out as well echoing it. Simple as that.

8-1 is a boat race though.

I completely agree on all points. I'm not sure if she thinks she has to seem tough to a room full of guys or something but it gets annoying. None of us care about poo poo like that and would much prefer a level headed player instead. Unfortunately she's close to the captain so I might have to make the choice if it's right for me to stay at some point as I don't see her leaving.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I can't stand playing with hot heads or people who start poo poo. It's rec hockey and most of us are like computer programmers or lawyers or in HR or whatever, everybody chill out.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
We played the canadian air force team today and one of their guys went knee on knee with our guy and then decided it was time to fight for some reason and got punched in the face really hard. This was not out of the ordinary, but after he got helped off the ice he took off his helmet and waited for our guy at the gate wanting, I assume, to start round 2 of said fight. This I've never seen before. All this compelled me start singing O Canada which they did not appreciate for some reason.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
More shaky bench GoPro available, but honestly this was best part of our All-Star Game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mj2z4sGW6U

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

Catching up with the thread!

quote:

Back Skating Chat
Honestly, the key to fixing a lot of newbies problems is getting them to sit their rear end back more when they're engaging their skates. A lot of people seem to stand really tall and keep their legs straight (a pretty natural reaction to forcing yourself travelling blind for the first time) but what this does is put your centre of gravity really high and means that the second you loose your balance you fall backwards - it also doubles up on the fact that with your legs straight, you're only recruiting a tiny amount of leg muscles so you're not generating a whole lot of power either. Sit back like you're having a poo poo, engage those leg muscles, love life.

quote:

How To Hockeymans getting recognition
I saw his spot during the Leafs/Habs game on the weekend and I don't think I've ever been so genuinely happy for a dude I have never met. Guy seems like a good dude and his videos have helped thousands.

quote:

Rec hockey violence!
Its a scientific fact that the more inexperienced the level, the more you get hot head idiots who take the game far too seriously for what it is. I help out on a team of never-evers and there is a team we play quite often who are of a similar skill level but are the most serious business bunch of dudes I have come across. They routinely get double digited but are some of the most chippy assholes I have seen, they even yanked their goalie who was playing his first game because he got hung out to dry twice in quick succession and put in another dude who was meant to be coaching the team. Rec hockey!

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Still having trouble with backwards lemons but I'm able to glide a little bit one on foot now. The only thing is that when I start gliding I also start turning. I've actually been able to build a fair bit of speed doing regular backwards skating but like you said my balance is fairly poor so if I get off balance even a little bit it really throws me. Overall I've been trying to focus on getting into the sit position when I'm skating in any direction but a lot of things aren't automatic for me yet so in a game situation it's hard to remember. I think if I had the option I'd be playing more games and going to less public skate so that I have the option to work on this stuff under pressure and while in gear so I'm not overthinking it so much.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
Eh, I find I do very little "working on stuff" during games and drop-in. Better to get lots of reps in of doing the right thing in a setting where you can focus on it. I'm sure most of us here have lots of deeply-ingrained bad skating habits that we picked up in gameplay instead of working on the "correct" way.

I mean, games are the most fun, and obviously help you be a better player, but probably not a better technical skater.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
Prom candy are your public skates pretty empty? I can't even imagine working on skating with a bunch of kids and couples skating around. Also not being in gear would suck too.

Stick times are way better. All the gear and you can practice keeping your stick blade on the ice while you do everything. But then they always turn into a scrimmage so I guess both have their problems.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Yeah, the public skates I go to are actually all adult skates, so no kids. The rink has Tues/Wed/Thurs from 12:00pm-1:30 and Thurs/Sun from 9pm/11pm so they're not too busy. I'd love to go to stick time but there aren't any in my area that I can get to. I might start wearing hockey pants to the lunch skate though.

Edit: I think my problem (as you can probably tell from my prolific posting in this thread) is that I'm a chronic overthinker. I can execute stuff in a game situation that I psyche myself out of executing during learn-to-play or public skate because I'm thinking too much about it. The reps are super valuable but game situations are where I can see what I'm really capable of because my stupid brain is focused on the play.

prom candy fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Mar 2, 2015

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

prom candy posted:

Yeah, the public skates I go to are actually all adult skates, so no kids. The rink has Tues/Wed/Thurs from 12:00pm-1:30 and Thurs/Sun from 9pm/11pm so they're not too busy. I'd love to go to stick time but there aren't any in my area that I can get to. I might start wearing hockey pants to the lunch skate though.

Holy cow, how are they not scheduling (the majority of) adult hockey games in that 9-11pm slot?!

I've got to ask about this one-foot glide business. What are you guys doing with the rest of your body when you do this? My mind goes straight to figure skater stuff and I'm pretty sure you aren't doing it that way.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Pinky Artichoke posted:

I've got to ask about this one-foot glide business. What are you guys doing with the rest of your body when you do this? My mind goes straight to figure skater stuff and I'm pretty sure you aren't doing it that way.

I aim my head where I want to go, put my stick on the ice along my desired curve.. and just kind of let it happen. Stick position and head position seem to do a good job getting the rest of my body where it needs to be.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Pinky Artichoke posted:

Holy cow, how are they not scheduling (the majority of) adult hockey games in that 9-11pm slot?!

It's an arena with two rinks, the public skates are on the figure skating rink which has no boards or glass. Only downside is if they don't flood after the figure skaters are out the ice is chopped to poo poo.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

i c-walk with my other foot when doing the one foot glide

if you overthink things think about the fact that most good hockey players (and many bad ones) are brain dead. It's not a problem you can really think you way out of which is why it's so hard to teach outside of best practices.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Mar 2, 2015

Tank44
Jun 13, 2005

We want the ball & We're going to score

sellouts posted:

Saying poo poo after the game in the line and outside is unacceptable. Gender, skating ability, etc is irrelevant. Whoever puts the team together puts a private email that if it happens again they're out. Leave it on the ice when the horn sounds.

Whoa whoa whoa... Saying poo poo in the line goes like this right: "good game", "good game", "good game", "gently caress you", "good game", "gently caress you", "good game", "nice play", "good game".

Agreed that once you leave the ice, it's all over and that you rehash everything in the locker room &/o bar like it was after HNIC. I also assume that every team has that one guy who scores many goals and then continues to talk about his goals and only his goals the rest of the night. When talk goes to "John"'s nice goal, the guy will say, "yeah but my goal was blah blah blah"

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home

Tank44 posted:

Whoa whoa whoa... Saying poo poo in the line goes like this right: "good game", "good game", "good game", "gently caress you", "good game", "gently caress you", "good game", "nice play", "good game".

Agreed that once you leave the ice, it's all over and that you rehash everything in the locker room &/o bar like it was after HNIC. I also assume that every team has that one guy who scores many goals and then continues to talk about his goals and only his goals the rest of the night. When talk goes to "John"'s nice goal, the guy will say, "yeah but my goal was blah blah blah"

Yeah if you go beyond telling somebody to gently caress off in the line that is a little too much, a little too dickhead. If I have an incident with somebody that I felt was a little above and beyond the normal hockey roughness I'll usually make light of it in the line by saying something like, Good game killer, or way to go tough guy, or something like that so they feel a little stupid for their tough guy antics earlier on.

A couple weeks ago I chipped a puck in past the defense, on net, and went hard to the net looking for a rebound since their goalie is notoriously bad at handling the puck. He actually controlled it and covered it and I stopped in front of the net and probably like 7 to 10 seconds went by (which doesn't sound like a long time until you count it out) and their D-man came in and cross checked the poo poo out of me and I just turned and laughed and asked him if he was loving serious to which he responded, don't snow my goalie, which I didn't. I stopped like right next to him and didn't get a single ice shaving on him I don't think. So I said, I didn't snow him, I didn't get anything on him and he just kept yelling back don't snow my goalie so in the line I was calling him Tiger and Killer and he just got off the ice with his head down, didn't even look up at me after the handshake. I think its perfectly acceptable to point out when somebody is being a dick and this kid recognized he came in way late for no real reason except to be a dick and felt like a douche about it.

But if you're like pushing or grabbing people or threatening them to fight in the locker room, parking lot, etc then you are the biggest douche whether the person you are threatening was in the wrong to begin with or not.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
Hey wasn't there a guy in here a couple weeks back looking for green gear? Cause boy oh boy is st paddy's day your time o' year: http://www.icewarehouse.com/catpage.html?ccode=STPADDY :barf:

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Oh man no green pants! I was more looking into green pants by thinking about switching to a girdle.

Brettbot
Sep 18, 2006

After All The Prosaic Waiting... The Sun Finally Crashes Into The Earth.

calandryll posted:

Oh man no green pants! I was more looking into green pants by thinking about switching to a girdle.

Not on that page, but Bauer makes green pants. My Supreme One60 pants are green, and a quick check shows the Nexus line (which replaced the Supreme line) has green in the 600 level, at least.

Edit: And the 800, too. Not that that stops you from switching to a girdle, of course.

Brettbot fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Mar 3, 2015

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

calandryll posted:

If you're after short covers talk to a company called Jersey53, their US facebook is here: https://www.facebook.com/Jersey53USA

They do single order custom stuff at (in my experience from their UK op) really good prices with quick turn around. Quality is great too.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Duke Chin posted:

Hey wasn't there a guy in here a couple weeks back looking for green gear? Cause boy oh boy is st paddy's day your time o' year: http://www.icewarehouse.com/catpage.html?ccode=STPADDY :barf:

Aw man, I want a green helmet! I already have green gloves.

On a side note, my Bronze and Silver teams both made it to the semi-finals, woohoo!

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

Zip! posted:

If you're after short covers talk to a company called Jersey53, their US facebook is here: https://www.facebook.com/Jersey53USA

They do single order custom stuff at (in my experience from their UK op) really good prices with quick turn around. Quality is great too.

That is awesome, I wonder how expensive it is.

I talked with one guy who was playing in Bavaria that had the greatest and ugliest jersey ever. Background was the Bavarian flag and it had lederhosen on it. It would be one of those jersey that if you looked to closely at would give you vertigo. It was amazing and I was totally jealous.

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

I have this beautiful thing from them which cost me about £25 ($50) and is a really nice quality jersey.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Dang that would go so well with my socks...

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
I love the matching gloves. The real question is what color pants would go with that? That is a pretty awesome jersey.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Green pants, obviously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tank44
Jun 13, 2005

We want the ball & We're going to score

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Green pants, obviously.

The NJ Devils Christmas pants of the 80s for sure.