Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Angry Grimace posted:

I enjoy your enthusiasm level.

Thanks I'm very excited about this idiot card, I honestly didn't expect to see a goofy modal control card of this level printed for years and it's quite wonderful!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Devor posted:

I feel like it would be more than a turn earlier to help you cast Hornet Queen. Even with Courser, is it common to make all your land drops for 8 turns in a row?

Turn 1 Mystic, turn two Caryatid, Turn 3 Xenagos, turn 4 Hornet queen is not at all unrealstic for the G/r devotion deck.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I Love You! posted:

Thanks I'm very excited about this idiot card, I honestly didn't expect to see a goofy modal control card of this level printed for years and it's quite wonderful!
I think you're a little past excited, but I think you're right.

But also in your magic christmas land why not mention it can counter a tap out to Stormbreath and bring back a dude. Such the value, such the tempo.

Kurash
May 12, 2008

Ojutai's Command does have a lot of value even if it isn't straight up Cryptic Command. I fully expect some decks will be running the full grip for the next 2 years.

e: I would like to mention the awkwardness of 4 mana counterspells. The decks running Command will be doing it as an all upside hard counter, not durdling around with Soulfire Grandmaster

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp
I think I Love You's enthusiasm is warranted. We're getting a worse cryptic command, but being a worse version of an insanely nutty card can still be fine.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
I don't know if it'll work out well, but I definitely want to try to make this work in Sidisi Whip.

I also wanna make UB dragon control because I make good choices.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
I'm specifically going nuts because while it is a worse cryptic, they put it in a format with Soulfire which seems custom built to break it wide open. And they're going to be together for a long, long time if it works out. Like, shouldn't they have printed the Cryptic FIRST so we could get a taste of how crazy it might be before pairing it with an obvious combo card?

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

I Love You! posted:

I'm specifically going nuts because while it is a worse cryptic, they put it in a format with Soulfire which seems custom built to break it wide open. And they're going to be together for a long, long time if it works out.

I would find it weird if this format or the next didn't have a kind of (efficient) graveyard hoser in W/G to be honest.

Although that's kind of aggressive speculation from flavor.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Zoness posted:

I would find it weird if this format or the next didn't have a kind of (efficient) graveyard hoser in W/G to be honest.

Although that's kind of aggressive speculation from flavor.

Just wait until they announce Liferite Shaman

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

TheKingofSprings posted:

Just wait until they announce Liferite Shaman

Personally I can't wait for Jace, the Brain Bender.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Yawgmoth posted:

I don't know if it'll work out well, but I definitely want to try to make this work in Sidisi Whip.

I also wanna make UB dragon control because I make good choices.

This dragon is awful.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I think he misread "opponent" as "player" on the dragon.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

Its not really a rider here - its just a full on mode and when would you ever take 4 life over "draw a card?"
Sometimes you need to stabilize your life total, especially against a red deck. I think it makes sense to put some situational modes on commands rather than having every single one represent insane value all the time.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Ojutai's command is a good card. No, it isn't cryptic, but it is still a modal card with good options. Probably not good enough for modern but definitely good enough for standard. As people are saying, having situational modes is fine- the life gain will be irrelevant except when you're facing an aggressive deck when it might just save you.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Shaman of Forgotten Ways is a Biorhythm that's legal in TWO singleton formats where the latter is banned. 11 mana is nothing when you have both Priest of Titania and Elvish Archdruid available. If it was an elf, I'd order two playsets.

Edit: Judging by the eBay presales, I'm not the only one who realises this. Foils will be stock certificates.

Tubgoat fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Mar 3, 2015

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I can see "counter your burn spell, gain 4 life" being good against a red deck that's trying to burn you out before you can stabilize.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
The real question is: why would they WANT to recreate Cryptic? Like, what's the design goal here?

"Terrible hellscape control nightmare" was pretty funny the first time around with Fae and 5cc but I'm not sure even "fixed" throwbacks to those days are particularly in order.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Spiderdrake posted:

I think he misread "opponent" as "player" on the dragon.
That is entirely possible. Probable, even!

:(

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Entropic posted:

I can see "counter your burn spell, gain 4 life" being good against a red deck that's trying to burn you out before you can stabilize.

Ojutai's Command would be much better for constructed if it was Counter Target Non-Creature Spell...

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Elyv posted:

Intro pack rares.

I'm actually into the big dumb Sultai dragon.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

mcmagic posted:

Ojutai's Command would be much better for constructed if it was Counter Target Non-Creature Spell...

Welcome to "I am bad at reading cards" season.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

All the five mana ones are super good first picks in draft.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Sometimes you need to stabilize your life total, especially against a red deck. I think it makes sense to put some situational modes on commands rather than having every single one represent insane value all the time.

Yeah, exactly. I'm fine with my modal cards having options that are only useful sometime. However, the thing about Cryptic Command is that you could pretty much always use it to good effect- the baseline is bounce a permanent and draw a card, which often isn't bad for 4 mana. The baseline level of Ojutai's command is gain 4 life and draw a card, which is really unexciting for 4 mana (though I suppose it beats spending 4 on Sphinx's revelation). For that reason, I'm not sure it will be a standard staple but I'll be really surprised if it doesn't see any play.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
nm

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

mcmagic posted:

I disagree, to a point. "Gain 4 life" can do a decent amount of the duty of countering a non-creature spell, especially since Stoke the Flames is a card and the most common situation where you'd use the lifegain mode in response to a spell. Animating a guy at EOT can be a good counter to a PW (though 2 CMC is limiting intrinsically, both Soulfire GM and Seeker of the Way are great at punching walkers for value). Animating is also a good answer to opponent's removal since you stand to out-tempo any sort of 3 CMC removal spells due to the cantrip, and there arent a ton of situations where your opponent will be dumping 2x 2plays early on.

So basically you have several modes to make up for being unable to interact with noncreature spells, can counter Rhinos/rocs/dragons all day, and can just heal/dig/animate if you really need to. Seems better to me than noncreature countering.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I don't see any Sultai dragons. You want to end up on Silumguru's neck?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
I'm so glad that the command that Narset can play is the one that is their choice of a worse Reviving Dose, a worse Absorb, or a worse Bone to Ash. The deck's hosed up enough as it is. It doesn't need more cool poo poo to flip for free.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

I Love You! posted:

The real question is: why would they WANT to recreate Cryptic? Like, what's the design goal here?

"Terrible hellscape control nightmare" was pretty funny the first time around with Fae and 5cc but I'm not sure even "fixed" throwbacks to those days are particularly in order.

Modal spells are fun and can be very skilltesting

Also Cryptic owns and should be recreated at every opportunity

In fact, reprint Cryptic

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

TheKingofSprings posted:

In fact, reprint Cryptic

Do this so I can actually play Scapeshift.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

Boltwing Marauder might be a decent curve-topper in a R/B or Mardu tokens deck. It's a decent enough threat on its own and combos real well with any token maker like Outburst, Rabblemaster, etc. However I don't see it clearing the "is this better than Stormbreath" hurdle.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

STiL. posted:

Ojutai's Command does have a lot of value even if it isn't straight up Cryptic Command. I fully expect some decks will be running the full grip for the next 2 years.

e: I would like to mention the awkwardness of 4 mana counterspells. The decks running Command will be doing it as an all upside hard counter, not durdling around with Soulfire Grandmaster

Jeskai token/ascend could really make use of a card like this, I think. It would change their lists up very slightly but also shore up some of the deck's matchup problems without having to resort to off-target stuff like hushwing gryff. Normally the deck spends a decent amount of time sitting behind a hand of burn and threats while waiting to go off with Ascendancy, but if the opponent drops a Doomwake or a Rhino or simply comes out swinging too hard you sometimes have your hand of good stuff blanked. Command gives you the ability to play more proactively with your 2drops while having a huge safety net against the things that normally hose the deck.

A single card that helps answer both the green/black matchup AND gives you a stablizer vs. other decks' fast starts is really spicy for tokens and may be exactly the card it needs.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

I Love You! posted:

I disagree, to a point. "Gain 4 life" can do a decent amount of the duty of countering a non-creature spell, especially since Stoke the Flames is a card and the most common situation where you'd use the lifegain mode in response to a spell. Animating a guy at EOT can be a good counter to a PW (though 2 CMC is limiting intrinsically, both Soulfire GM and Seeker of the Way are great at punching walkers for value). Animating is also a good answer to opponent's removal since you stand to out-tempo any sort of 3 CMC removal spells due to the cantrip, and there arent a ton of situations where your opponent will be dumping 2x 2plays early on.

So basically you have several modes to make up for being unable to interact with noncreature spells, can counter Rhinos/rocs/dragons all day, and can just heal/dig/animate if you really need to. Seems better to me than noncreature countering.

The deck that is going to want to counter a stoke to the face or a creature isn't going to really care that much about the tempo factors of bringing back a Soulfire or a Seeker that you're bringing up. I think the majority of the decks that will play this won't have a legal target for the return a 2 power creature from the GY mode. Jeskai aggro would LOVE to be able to protect their MantisRider/Seeker/Soulfire/Rabblemaster from a kill spell and draw a card...

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Tubgoat posted:

Shaman of Forgotten Ways is a Biorhythm that's legal in TWO singleton formats where the latter is banned. 11 mana is nothing when you have both Priest of Titania and Elvish Archdruid available. If it was an elf, I'd order two playsets.

Edit: Judging by the eBay presales, I'm not the only one who realises this. Foils will be stock certificates.

Seeing as Biorhythm is banned what is the likeliness that this dude will also be banned?

And Somberwald Sage saw a decent amount of play when it was legal including as a four of in a GP winning deck.

http://magic.tcgplayer.com/db/deck.asp?deck_id=1070605

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Eh, you still have your Nyx-Fleece Rams or whatever to bring back in control.

Starving Autist posted:

Yeah, exactly. I'm fine with my modal cards having options that are only useful sometime. However, the thing about Cryptic Command is that you could pretty much always use it to good effect- the baseline is bounce a permanent and draw a card, which often isn't bad for 4 mana. The baseline level of Ojutai's command is gain 4 life and draw a card, which is really unexciting for 4 mana (though I suppose it beats spending 4 on Sphinx's revelation). For that reason, I'm not sure it will be a standard staple but I'll be really surprised if it doesn't see any play.
I think that's what made Cryptic too good really - it's basically always a 4 mana spell, but with insane flexibility over which 4 mana spell it wants to be.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Ojutai's Command is great if only because it neutralizes Stoke and then replaces itself immediately in terms of card advantage, with either a creature or new card.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

mcmagic posted:

The deck that is going to want to counter a stoke to the face or a creature isn't going to really care that much about the tempo factors of bringing back a Soulfire or a Seeker that you're bringing up. I think the majority of the decks that will play this won't have a legal target for the return a 2 power creature from the GY mode. Jeskai aggro would LOVE to be able to protect their MantisRider/Seeker/Soulfire/Rabblemaster from a kill spell and draw a card...

Technically, it does protect Seeker/Soulfire/Rabble from a killspell. Well, unless Anafenza is on the other side of the table.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

forbidden lesbian posted:

Technically, it does protect Seeker/Soulfire/Rabble from a killspell. Well, unless Anafenza is on the other side of the table.

Not rabble!

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Mr. Peepers posted:

Boltwing Marauder might be a decent curve-topper in a R/B or Mardu tokens deck. It's a decent enough threat on its own and combos real well with any token maker like Outburst, Rabblemaster, etc. However I don't see it clearing the "is this better than Stormbreath" hurdle.

I'm incredibly dubious about 5 mana creatures that don't protect themselves or provide instant value, I think they basically have to be Baneslayer tier to see constructed play.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

forbidden lesbian posted:

It doesn't though. You don't get to keep attacking if it dies in combat and you don't get Seeker's Prowess and Lifelink.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

mcmagic posted:

It doesn't though. You don't get to keep attacking if it dies it combat and you don't get Seeker's Prowess and Lifelink.

Yes but you can "protect" a Seeker or Soulfire that died on t2 or t3 which makes up for it depending on the deck. It's not a tempo card, it's a value card built around trading up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

I Love You! posted:

Not rabble!

gently caress, I read it as two-power not 2 CMC, lol I'm looking forward to doing this for all the commands once i see them

mcmagic posted:

It doesn't though. You don't get to keep attacking if it dies in combat and you don't get Seeker's Prowess and Lifelink.

you know what i meant :p

• Locked thread