Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

You trade headroom at the cost of everything else. It's quite subtle though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

LiquidRain posted:

I am loving the X-T1 I just picked up for that very reason. I am continually impressed at what the camera is doing and PC Autosave is practically a godsend.

:monocle:

Holy balls, I never knew this existed! Slow as hell, but it works. Even transfers the RAW files.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh
Im looking for an 85mm 1.4 and 35mm 1.4 for my sony a7. Right now i have a 35mm 1.8 minolta MD, and a 50mm 1.4 A mount minolta AF. My 50mm 1.4 has horrible fringing wide open, meanwhile my 35mm 1.8 has it under control, and looks great (maybe i just got a horrible example of the 50mm)

Ive heard film lenses can produce some really bad fringing on mirrorless cameras, can i avoid that by going for the digital versions of zeiss or nikon AI?

coolskillrex remix fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Feb 22, 2015

Jimlad
Jan 8, 2005

coolskillrex remix posted:

Im looking for an 85mm 1.4 and 35mm 1.4 for my sony a7. Right now i have a 35mm 1.8 minolta MD, and a 50mm 1.4 A mount minolta AF. My 50mm 1.4 has horrible fringing wide open, meanwhile my 35mm 1.8 has it under control, and looks great (maybe i just got a horrible example of the 50mm)

Ive heard film lenses can produce some really bad fringing on mirrorless cameras, can i avoid that by going for the digital versions of zeiss or nikon AI?

Check out the Samyang offerings. They have truly fantastic image quality for the price as long as you can stomach the large size and manual focus.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

If you're willing to wait and can afford it, the FE 35/1.4 should be out soon and I believe there are plans to make a FE 85/1.8 as well.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

LiquidRain posted:

I am loving the X-T1 I just picked up for that very reason. I am continually impressed at what the camera is doing and PC Autosave is practically a godsend.

Regarding said X-T1, the only thing that's confusing me (even after reading DPReview) is the dynamic range setting. What's the best setting to keep it at? Normal/100?

I use auto DR, auto ISO, and auto WB 90% of the time. Fuji is the first camera company I trust with that many auto settings. I hardly ever even shoot raw anymore.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

^ Yeah I'm already using auto WB and auto ISO.

Does anyone have a solution to charging Fuji X-T1 (NW126) batteries on the go? Or just keep a whole lot of spares handy? I'm seeing chargers that claim to be able to charge the batteries via USB on Amazon, which would be awesome, but it seems sketchy.

Jimlad
Jan 8, 2005

alkanphel posted:

If you're willing to wait and can afford it, the FE 35/1.4 should be out soon and I believe there are plans to make a FE 85/1.8 as well.

Also if you've got the cash (who doesn't these days?) I highly recommend the 85mm Zeiss Otus, and rumour has it there's a 35mm Otus coming out in the near future. The biggest advantage with those lenses is they're great for keeping those biceps in shape on the go, or in case you ever misplace your kettle bells.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

LiquidRain posted:

Does anyone have a solution to charging Fuji X-T1 (NW126) batteries on the go? Or just keep a whole lot of spares handy? I'm seeing chargers that claim to be able to charge the batteries via USB on Amazon, which would be awesome, but it seems sketchy.

My solution was to buy a bunch of wasabi battery bundles. I keep two on charge at all times and two or three spares in a small pouch in my camera bag.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

LiquidRain posted:

I get the feeling that if that does work, it'd be really slow and probably not worth it. 3rd party batteries are dirt cheap and that's been an easier option for me for a while now.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

LiquidRain posted:

There's no reason why it wouldn't work, since the only charger the NEX line has is a standard USB cable. It'll be way slower than charging through a wall outlet though.

widunder
May 2, 2002
I'm looking to pick up an ultra wide on the cheap for my X-E1. Does anyone have any experiences with anything decent? How about the Samyang 12mm? I'd prefer non-fisheye. How about some adapted older manual lenses? Neither speed nor AF are important to me, just something affordable and somewhat sharp.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Elliotw2 posted:

There's no reason why it wouldn't work, since the only charger the NEX line has is a standard USB cable. It'll be way slower than charging through a wall outlet though.
My used Fuji didn't come with a wallcharger, so I can't compare, but the USB charger took 2h 50m to go from zero to full.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

widunder posted:

I'm looking to pick up an ultra wide on the cheap for my X-E1. Does anyone have any experiences with anything decent? How about the Samyang 12mm? I'd prefer non-fisheye. How about some adapted older manual lenses? Neither speed nor AF are important to me, just something affordable and somewhat sharp.

How cheap do you want it? Adapting FF wide angle on a APSC camera and lose out on the wide ends doesn't really make sense.

IMO you might as well get the XF 18-55 2.8-4 and stitch panorama shots for wider scenes.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Speaking of ultra wides, Olympus was supposed to be showing it's M. Zuiko pro f2.8 7-14mm at that Japanese photography trade show, with the expectation that pricing and availability would follow forthwith. What gives? Still the same old articles and "coming soon" with no testers, no reviews, no nothing.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Linedance posted:

Speaking of ultra wides, Olympus was supposed to be showing it's M. Zuiko pro f2.8 7-14mm at that Japanese photography trade show, with the expectation that pricing and availability would follow forthwith. What gives? Still the same old articles and "coming soon" with no testers, no reviews, no nothing.

Olympus has been very quiet about new products until they're basically a week or so away from releasing them. Same happened with the 12-40mm f/2.8, 40-150mm f/2.8, and the new EM5-II body. They haven't said poo poo about the big 300mm f/4 lately either.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
Has there been more details about the EM II? more specifically whether Olympus finally includes auto HDR and panorama like the Sony bodies? I'm too lazy to merge the photos on the computer manually.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

lostleaf posted:

Has there been more details about the EM II? more specifically whether Olympus finally includes auto HDR and panorama like the Sony bodies? I'm too lazy to merge the photos on the computer manually.

hdr yes, but I don't think it has panorama mode. It's also got the live composite and live bulb modes for in camera compositing of poo poo.

widunder
May 2, 2002

whatever7 posted:

How cheap do you want it? Adapting FF wide angle on a APSC camera and lose out on the wide ends doesn't really make sense.

IMO you might as well get the XF 18-55 2.8-4 and stitch panorama shots for wider scenes.
The Samyang seems to be about right moneywise, around 300 USD.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

alkanphel posted:

Depending on the need of fast autofocus or not, adapting a Sigma Art 35mm might be a more interesting idea. The current non-FE 35mm Distagons are actually worse in IQ than the Sigma Art according to various tests. The Sigma is sharper, has less fringing and CA, while vignetting seems to be similar. And it'll be cheaper. The FE 35mm is expected to be around 1400 bux, while the Sigma goes for just a little more than alf of that. Another 100 bux for an adapter.

However, Sony published a picture of the cross-section of the new lens, and it looks rather different than the Distagon schemes I find on the web. Maybe it's better now.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

All aboard the om-d train

e. I need a third so that I can get a decent picture with them though.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mr. Despair posted:

All aboard the om-d train

e. I need a third so that I can get a decent picture with them though.

Haha the trick is you take camera A with camera B, take camera B with camera A on the same tripod; combine in photoshop.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

whatever7 posted:

Haha the trick is you take camera A with camera B, take camera B with camera A on the same tripod; combine in photoshop.

I don't actually have my tripod with me :smith:

e. then again I don't really need one when I can handhold poo poo for 3.2 seconds and still get useable shots.

P2250006.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

hail satan

e2. spot the hot pixel (the pixel mapping function definitely works though, so it's gone already :feelsgood:)

Dr. Despair fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Feb 26, 2015

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Got the Olympus 9mm mailed from Japan today ($90), Put it on the cheapo NEX5R I got from Amazon ($180 with lens).

I am having a blast.

Too bad its still a little bit too heavy for my time lapse rotating gadget.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Speaking of the Zeiss FE 35mm/1.4. Some Hongkong shop put it up on eBay for 1730 dollars. Hope that's not going to be the street price.

Heh, that camo.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Man... snow is not cutting it for 15 minute + exposures. I think it's melting or something as it works :smith:

e. Live composite mode will definitely make star trails a lot less annoying to shoot though. This is 32 minutes of exposure, straight out of the camera.

Dr. Despair fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Feb 27, 2015

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

Combat Pretzel posted:

Depending on the need of fast autofocus or not, adapting a Sigma Art 35mm might be a more interesting idea. The current non-FE 35mm Distagons are actually worse in IQ than the Sigma Art according to various tests. The Sigma is sharper, has less fringing and CA, while vignetting seems to be similar. And it'll be cheaper. The FE 35mm is expected to be around 1400 bux, while the Sigma goes for just a little more than alf of that. Another 100 bux for an adapter.

However, Sony published a picture of the cross-section of the new lens, and it looks rather different than the Distagon schemes I find on the web. Maybe it's better now.

Shopped for these, i have the adapter already so this would have been decent but sigma front focusing/back focusing issues scared me, and its heavy.

Decided to take a stab at a nikon ai-s 1.4 35mm, tinier, fuzzier, but got it for $270! I dont need maximum sharpness for huge prints at this point

saw some nice shots on flickr from a samyang 85mm 1.4 so picked that up for $250 on b&h.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Ah, I can't tell you about that, because I use it in manual focus only. But given it's being driven in contrast detection AF only on an adapter (i.e. hunting and stepping), this shouldn't be an issue.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Decided to take a stab at a nikon ai-s 1.4 35mm, tinier, fuzzier, but got it for $270! I dont need maximum sharpness for huge prints at this point

Good, because the Nikon 35mm f/1,4 kinda sucks sharpness wise.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
I sold my beloved X100 when the X-Pro came around and I've really missed it ever since. I finally sprung for the X100T a few weeks ago and I really love all of the improvements and I'm happy they didn't change the things that work fine. I don't care if it looks just like the older models, I hope it always retains this "rangefinder" form factor. Due to work and weather, I haven't gotten to shoot with it much but I'm drat impressed so far. Seeing someone like Zack Arias choose it for a shoot he's dreamed of for years really helps me to feel good about the purchase too. Of course he's proven that a good photographer is never limited by gear before.

http://dedpxl.com/truck-stop-light/

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

RustedChrome posted:

I sold my beloved X100 when the X-Pro came around and I've really missed it ever since. I finally sprung for the X100T a few weeks ago and I really love all of the improvements and I'm happy they didn't change the things that work fine. I don't care if it looks just like the older models, I hope it always retains this "rangefinder" form factor. Due to work and weather, I haven't gotten to shoot with it much but I'm drat impressed so far. Seeing someone like Zack Arias choose it for a shoot he's dreamed of for years really helps me to feel good about the purchase too. Of course he's proven that a good photographer is never limited by gear before.

http://dedpxl.com/truck-stop-light/

Arias is a bit of a gear weirdo but I generally like his stuff. I shot a bunch of photos earlier (fuji and 8x10) with an LED video light, you can get a lot of mileage out of a small package.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere
Olympus's new 40 megapixel sensor-shift mode is pretty damned exciting to me. Can't use it hand-held of course, but most of the "important" shots I take are on a tripod anyway.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Costello Jello posted:

Olympus's new 40 megapixel sensor-shift mode is pretty damned exciting to me. Can't use it hand-held of course, but most of the "important" shots I take are on a tripod anyway.

P2250031 by MrDespair, on Flickr

It's pretty legit.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere

Mr. Despair posted:

It's pretty legit.

Very cool. All that resolution from a pretty tiny sensor/camera system.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

The live comp is pretty awesome too. This was just under 2 hours out of the camera (in pretty crappy conditions for it).

P2280131.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

Camera was a bit cold by the end of it though.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Mr. Despair posted:

It's pretty legit.

Dust your negs dinosaurs.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Gah, I was at Disneyland all day Sunday for Dapper Day, and I tried mostly using the OVF on my X100S to stretch my battery life since I forgot to bring a spare when I flew down to LA. A couple of my group shots came out with missed focus, because even though I put the focus patch on a person, the parallax effect meant it actually focused in between people on the background. :smith:

Some of my shots also came out rushed and messy because I'm still getting used to actually walking up to people and asking to take pictures of them. It helps that people specifically came to the event all dressed up so I have more of a reason to be asking, but hopefully next time I'll be a little more mindful of my backgrounds and stuff.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

404notfound posted:

Gah, I was at Disneyland all day Sunday for Dapper Day, and I tried mostly using the OVF on my X100S to stretch my battery life since I forgot to bring a spare when I flew down to LA. A couple of my group shots came out with missed focus, because even though I put the focus patch on a person, the parallax effect meant it actually focused in between people on the background. :smith:

Some of my shots also came out rushed and messy because I'm still getting used to actually walking up to people and asking to take pictures of them. It helps that people specifically came to the event all dressed up so I have more of a reason to be asking, but hopefully next time I'll be a little more mindful of my backgrounds and stuff.

Yeah that square can be waaayyy off. Once the OVF corrects for parallax you have to decide whats the center of the rectangle yourself regardless of where that square is. Or use that little hybrid viewfinder.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Animal posted:

Yeah that square can be waaayyy off. Once the OVF corrects for parallax you have to decide whats the center of the rectangle yourself regardless of where that square is. Or use that little hybrid viewfinder.

Does the S have the corrected AF square feature like the T does? That poo poo is useful (as is the little evf popup since it gives you exactly the focus point)

BTW - does Fuji have like some insane math wizard working for them doing their ETTL algorithms? This camera (the T) is unbelievably good at zero effort fill flash. I am used to Canon, who are unbelievably not good at it, but even still. I'm constantly amazed.

timrenzi574 fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Mar 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

timrenzi574 posted:

Does the S have the corrected AF square feature like the T does? That poo poo is useful (as is the little evf popup since it gives you exactly the focus point)

The S doesn't have real-time correction--the square will go to the right place after focusing--but that still wouldn't fix the fact that your eye and the camera sensor are looking from two different positions. If the corrected square is on the edge of a subject when looking through the viewfinder, the actual focus point might be missing the subject entirely from a straight-on angle (i.e., the way the camera is actually seeing).

Edit: I am curious how the T's improved OVF experience affects battery life though. Real-time parallax correction and an EVF patch are probably somewhat more intensive than just projecting some framing lines.

404notfound fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Mar 3, 2015