Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Guavanaut posted:

Ternary computers exist, they were popular in the Soviet Union during the early days of computing. Usually they used balanced ternary, which is -1, 0, and 1, so if the circuits ran on 5 volts the states would be -5V, 0V, +5V.

It gives you a marginal advantage when working with negative numbers, and is exactly nothing to do with whatever this guy is thinking.

e: quote hosed up

Also, I believe most modern computing exists largely thru "fuzzy logic" control and processing, where there is no longer just a 0 = FALSE and a 1 = TRUE, but and series of variables that exist between 0 and 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 232 days!)

:2bong: like 2 is what happens when you hit 0 and 1 at the same time man

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Noyemi K posted:

Could you imagine harnessing the power of pi for computing?
Well we won't know until that guy calculates it how useful it would be

edit: I hope it ends with 6

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

theflyingorc posted:

edit: I hope it ends with 6

Are you retarded? There's no way it'll end in 6. It'll end in 2. Trinity 2.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas
The largest number is about 45,000,000,000 although mathematicians suspect that there may be even larger numbers. 45,000,000,001?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

EvilGenius posted:

The largest number is about 45,000,000,000 although mathematicians suspect that there may be even larger numbers. 45,000,000,001?

Not actually sure that's possible but maybe 45,000,000,000.7 or so.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Guavanaut posted:

Ternary computers exist, they were popular in the Soviet Union during the early days of computing. Usually they used balanced ternary, which is -1, 0, and 1, so if the circuits ran on 5 volts the states would be -5V, 0V, +5V.

It gives you a marginal advantage when working with negative numbers, and is exactly nothing to do with whatever this guy is thinking.

How exactly? I mean you can only represent 0 or 1 with a single bit; having polarity on all your bits is kinda worthless for working with negatives, and you'd have to store the number as....

Are you sure? The whole point of ternary would be so that you could store more numbers in the same number of bits, no? I mean "takes care of negatives better" just makes no sense to me here.

Wikipedia mentions that Russian ternary computers had the advantages of "lower electricity consumption and lower production cost." which makes sense; it says nothing about negative values.

Young Freud posted:

Also, I believe most modern computing exists largely thru "fuzzy logic" control and processing, where there is no longer just a 0 = FALSE and a 1 = TRUE, but and series of variables that exist between 0 and 1.

What? Fuzzy logic is still implemented in hardware that uses hard binary. That's software, vs boolean software you do fuzzy logic software. But the hardware is always binary.

Now maybe your hardware's actual transmission of the binary states has variable voltages and registers ranges, but that's not the same thing as fuzzy logic.

I don't think you goons really know what you're talking about :v:

Bits are always 0 = FALSE or 1 = TRUE, and all the hardware that manipulates them treats them as such.
But you process groups of bits that represent different forms of data like floats, which can be continuous.

Zaphod42 has a new favorite as of 22:28 on Mar 2, 2015

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.

Zaphod42 posted:

Bits are always 0 = FALSE or 1 = TRUE, and all the hardware that manipulates them treats them as such.

This is only true with magnetic and optical media; since the introduction of solid state drives, bits can be literally any positive number.

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009
shut the gently caress up you nerds and donate to this knee-jerk Kickstarter

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/958078205/thedress

"I have no idea what I'm doing but I think this might work give me money"

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Crust First posted:

This is only true with magnetic and optical media; since the introduction of solid state drives, bits can be literally any positive number.

Zaphod42 posted:

Now maybe your hardware's actual transmission of the binary states has variable voltages and registers ranges, but that's not the same thing as fuzzy logic.

:colbert: Yeah I'm well aware. Its still treated and reported as truth or false regardless of how its stored and read.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
You guys are forgetting that bits can degrade & become corrupted on the path from their home IC to wherever they're going. It was the development of new capacitors that even ALLOWED the transmission of HD-ready data through the circuit leads. Before graphums was developed people used to have to use wax paper capacitors and it was a nightmare trying to get enough data from the wall hose, through your Musicatrix, and out the loudening tubes on the other end.

And, if any of your neighbors happened to be using their Musicatrix at the same time, their bleedthrough affected the quality of the data coming out of your wall hose, as well. I remember as kids we'd get every grinning knave on the block to pump out some really cruddy gnarltunes very night at 6 to make it impossible for our parents to listen to the news.

Anyway, just wanted to say thanks for the Popular Mechanics style runthrough of the new technologies you all have developed. Is there a bluetooth typewriter for my mobile hellobox? I can't figure out swype.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Zaphod42 posted:

How exactly? I mean you can only represent 0 or 1 with a single bit; having polarity on all your bits is kinda worthless for working with negatives, and you'd have to store the number as....

Are you sure? The whole point of ternary would be so that you could store more numbers in the same number of bits, no? I mean "takes care of negatives better" just makes no sense to me here.

Wikipedia mentions that Russian ternary computers had the advantages of "lower electricity consumption and lower production cost." which makes sense; it says nothing about negative values.
If you use balanced ternary throughout (including storage), it saves on the number of bits that are needed to store any given value. Normally you'd have to use 2s complement, signed bit, or some other method of storing the number, which means that storage bits get used up representing the sign of the number, e.g. you can store -10 as 0-0- with no flag. There are some other calculations that are simplified through balanced ternary, like fractions, but I forget exactly how. It comes at the disadvantage of needing positive and negative power rails and more complex controller circuitry.

I guess balanced ternary might make it faster to calculate pi using the Leibniz formula, if he was in the 60s and building a computer from the ground up. He is going to do none of these things though.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

If you use balanced ternary throughout (including storage), it saves on the number of bits that are needed to store any given value. Normally you'd have to use 2s complement, signed bit, or some other method of storing the number, which means that storage bits get used up representing the sign of the number, e.g. you can store -10 as 0-0- with no flag. There are some other calculations that are simplified through balanced ternary, like fractions, but I forget exactly how. It comes at the disadvantage of needing positive and negative power rails and more complex controller circuitry.

I guess balanced ternary might make it faster to calculate pi using the Leibniz formula, if he was in the 60s and building a computer from the ground up. He is going to do none of these things though.

Hm, balanced ternary does let you store negatives slightly smaller then and reduces the number of carries in multiplication which is cool, but you could use the same hardware with a standard ternary in order to store much bigger numbers in fewer bits (If I'm thinking about this right), so I'm not sure it would be worth it. Still, its a loving weird/interesting idea. :ussr: I'll have to read about this more...

But yeah since modern hardware is all binary using slow ternary computers wouldn't help you vs. the latest binary hardware.

bvoid posted:

shut the gently caress up you nerds

Fair enough.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Zaphod42 posted:

Hm, balanced ternary does let you store negatives slightly smaller then and reduces the number of carries in multiplication which is cool, but you could use the same hardware with a standard ternary in order to store much bigger numbers in fewer bits (If I'm thinking about this right), so I'm not sure it would be worth it. Still, its a loving weird/interesting idea. :russia: I'll have to read about this more...

You have to remember, this was a thing being implemented when having mere thousands of bits of storage was considered huge, often with key parts of the system only being able to handle a few hundred bits in near-real-time (as opposed to having to wait for drum memory or other much slower kinds of RAM). Being able to save a few bits there could mean having substantially more effective storage and save thousands of bucks.

It's something that simply stopped being all that helpful by our time, when you have people not finding it worth it to pick up a free gigabyte flash drive or 2 GB memory expansion.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Crust First posted:

Yeah nowadays the state of the art is TRUE, FALSE, and FILENOTFOUND.

Bad Munki posted:

Not actually sure that's possible but maybe 45,000,000,000.7 or so.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Nintendo Kid posted:

You have to remember, this was a thing being implemented when having mere thousands of bits of storage was considered huge, often with key parts of the system only being able to handle a few hundred bits in near-real-time (as opposed to having to wait for drum memory or other much slower kinds of RAM). Being able to save a few bits there could mean having substantially more effective storage and save thousands of bucks.

It's something that simply stopped being all that helpful by our time, when you have people not finding it worth it to pick up a free gigabyte flash drive or 2 GB memory expansion.

No, I totally get that. I said from the very beginning that using ternary to save bits with storage makes sense. That's obvious. But that's how standard Ternary systems work, and those don't get you magic negative number advantages.

Whats not so obvious is why you'd waste those extra bits to get a sign value for each bit. (Balanced Ternary) But it seems there's some cool reasoning.

You're discussing Ternary v Binary which I totally understand already. What I didn't understand was balanced ternary and why you'd use it.
But I'm starting to get it. (Overall though probably not better which is why we don't use it)

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Zaphod42 posted:

No, I totally get that. I said from the very beginning that using ternary to save bits with storage makes sense. That's obvious. But that's how standard Ternary systems work, and those don't get you magic negative number advantages.

Whats not so obvious is why you'd waste those extra bits to get a sign value for each bit. (Balanced Ternary) But it seems there's some cool reasoning.

You're discussing Ternary v Binary which I totally understand already. What I didn't understand was balanced ternary and why you'd use it.
But I'm starting to get it. (Overall though probably not better which is why we don't use it)

Balanced ternary was easier to implement and design for, when you're working basically from scratch. Much of the equipment used at the time, it wasn't much effort to modify it for that, while doing non-balanced required more effort.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

:golfclap:

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Single layer DVD-Rs are about 20 cents. To match the current pi record would take about 1500 DVD-Rs assuming packed BCD. Not bad. He's covered his blank DVD cost.

edit: Although since his goal is finding the last digit of pi, he's covered 0% of his blank DVD cost. :catdrugs:

Germstore has a new favorite as of 00:56 on Mar 3, 2015

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

BattleMaster posted:

even if it worked as described, IR doesn't penetrate solids very well so if you put an orange on it all it will see is a lot of cellulose and report 0 calories

of course it's total BS so it won't even do that much

Just show pieced on CNN, the sample looks little more than a portable key finder light. Pre-rendered slides showing results.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
More coverage of the TriggerTrap Ada project collapse, from their CEO:
https://medium.com/@Haje/how-a-half-million-dollar-kickstarter-project-can-crash-and-burn-5482d7d33ee1

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I actually appreciated his candor in this, plus it sounds like they are planning on refunding the kickstarter (I don't know if that just part of the T&C of Kickstart, or they're taking the high road here). This is refreshing after all the "sneak away like a thief in the night" we expect from failures of funded projects.

I also liked how he explicitly spelled out the lessons learned and it sounds like they did a proper post-mortem on the project. They learned some hard, hard lessons on budgeting and project management and that weird poo poo happens that's out of your control. Between this up-front "we hosed up" and if they actually follow through with the refunds, I think they will have salvaged enough of their reputation to maybe revisit this in future (do I want a cheap, high speed wireless trigger? Hells-yeah I do).

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Now I'm thinking of the business model:

1: Make a flexible funding campaign. Set the price high enough to never actually be reached.
2: Fill it on bullshit argument-inducing points
3: Profit off all the people who pay a dollar to tell you that you're wrong.

Too bad he's on a fixed funding model.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
It's impossible to flexible on kickstarter. Which is why all the successful low effort scams are on indiegogo.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

You know this is really bad because they didn't even put a scale on the vertical height.

quote:

The electronics and software design for Triggertrap Ada ended up costing vastly more than we had originally budgeted... we spent 9.4x more on this phase than we planned to.

Software ain't easy y'all.

Zaphod42 has a new favorite as of 16:37 on Mar 3, 2015

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
What was their name originally? It seems that both it and the linked article go out of their way to avoid the old name, but I'm really curious who and why threatened to sue them.

Edit: lol how do you just "discover" that your BOM is three times the estimate :downs:

mobby_6kl has a new favorite as of 19:24 on Mar 3, 2015

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.

mobby_6kl posted:

What was their name originally? It seems that both it and the linked article go out of their way to avoid the old name, but I'm really curious who and why threatened to sue them.

I believe it was the Triggertrap RedSnap or similar, and then the Red Camera manufacturer people went after them.

http://petapixel.com/2013/10/16/new-triggertrap-redsnap-infinitely-expandable-camera-trigger/

Trollipop
Apr 10, 2007

hippin and hoppin
Guinness World Record Mosaic: Nicolas Cage's Face

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Pay me tons of money and I'll put your photos into a mosaic. Yeah, that sounds like a great idea. :nallears:

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

bvoid posted:

shut the gently caress up you nerds and donate to this knee-jerk Kickstarter

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/958078205/thedress

"I have no idea what I'm doing but I think this might work give me money"

If you turn things inside out, you escape lawsuits for stealing the original design.

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

I flicked through kickstarter last night to check up on some games I pledged for which are delayed, but I found other poo poo too!

Lose weight through not the ab burner

I'm no biochemist, but deliberately inducing hypothermia can't ever be a good thing, can it? Either this will be an insignificant amount countered by physiological mechanisms, or it will induce actual hypothermia, and be associated with all the bad stuff that goes with that.

What I especially like is they've included a section on how this is totally not pseudoscience, you guys. Apparently extrapolating mouse models looking at specific gene/protein activation into general weight loss in humans is legit. :biotruths:

Ring, maybe not that bad, but just utterly uninspired. A carbon tube cutoff that looks lovely. They claim that

quote:

The Razer Ring is totally unique and intriguing. It is a great conversation starter.

I have no idea what sort of conversations they expect this ring to start, other than very short ones that begin with "hey check out my awesome carbon fiber ring"

Uninspired wallet #443241. What I like about this is that it manages to be the same size as a regular wallet with less carrying space. If all you need in your day to day is four cards and a single bank note, just use a pocket.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Your body has to use more energy to maintain body temperature when it's cold, but I can't imagine that it makes much of a difference.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

winegums posted:

The Razer Ring is totally unique and intriguing. It is a great conversation starter.

loving thing looks like lovely 3d printed plastic to me, I hate it. Only conversation I can imagine is "Why are you wearing a lovely piece of plastic toy ring on your finger? Did you get that at Chuck E Cheese?"

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
It doesn't even look like a plastic ring, more like some leftover plastic doohickey from some DIY project.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

KiddieGrinder posted:

"Why are you wearing a lovely piece of plastic toy ring on your finger? Did you get that at Chuck E Cheese?"

Yeah, it's basically a lamer version of those rings you get from every arcade and county fair ever since it doesn't even have a spider on it or anything.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

winegums posted:

I flicked through kickstarter last night to check up on some games I pledged for which are delayed, but I found other poo poo too!

Lose weight through not the ab burner

"Michael Phelps can eat thousands of extra calories a day, and stay ripped.(the water is cooler than his body temperature, it pulls the heat out, so he burns more calories to maintain body temp)"

:psyduck:

e: I understand they can just claim ignorance but man there's a lot of hilariously over the top lying in that KS, so it's no surprise they've gotten a ton of money from people who want to be lazy and yet get ripped.

Evil Fluffy has a new favorite as of 20:49 on Mar 7, 2015

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
I wouldn't mind having that, but more for staying cool when I'm working outside on a really hot day than for any supposed weight loss benefits.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Evil Fluffy posted:

"Michael Phelps can eat thousands of extra calories a day, and stay ripped.(the water is cooler than his body temperature, it pulls the heat out, so he burns more calories to maintain body temp)"

:psyduck:

Here's a trick to help lose weight! You can eat cookies and cakes all you want, just eat only while submerged in a freezing ice water bath! Your body will burn twice the calories to keep you alive! It really works!

It's basically what the pitch is, but a portable version. And just as stupid

Kudos on the guy for weight loss, but he straight up says it's from a good specialty diet and a lot of exercise, not some magic vest. With or without a stupid ice-pack-stitched-in-a-vest, if you put in that much work you will get results.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*
Seems like just anyone can get a graphic design degree these days. And some of them are REALLY EXCITED about it!