Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
Mach ftw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
ur between 27-33 susp dish. I'm going to guess that N.B.S.D. is under 40.

The pdp thing was a joke. Because I went to a third rate engineering school I did get to do that on a pdp-8 dev board though in intro to comp sci. in tyool 2002.

architecture was taught w/ 68ks made the year I was born. Interfacing was 68hc11.

What can I say, I got a scholarship, lived with my parents, and graduated debt free.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Most of us are within ten years of each other, but poo poo changed a lot depending on if you graduated H.S. in 1995 vs. 2005.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
jesus christ, why do you guys think i'm so old. i'm 22. i graduated high school in 2010.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Suspicious Dish posted:

i graduated high school in 2010.

:psyduck:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Suspicious Dish posted:

jesus christ, why do you guys think i'm so old. i'm 22. i graduated high school in 2010.

wh

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Suspicious Dish posted:

lol you can't just make up years

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

Sassafras fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Mar 14, 2015

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Suspicious Dish posted:

same, op

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Suspicious Dish posted:

you have hell of more knowledge then much of your contemporaries

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Suspicious Dish posted:

Did you play sports in high school?

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Also, did you graduate early or something? Or did you not bother with a CS degree?

Re my shock, this is why I posted the thread about tech interviews being behind screens.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
its obvious by his towering intellect and interest in linux that he skipped MULTIPLE grades due to a brain malfunction

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
too dumb? brain hosed up
too smart? brain hosed up

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Smythe posted:

its obvious by his towering intellect and interest in linux that he skipped MULTIPLE grades due to a brain malfunction

Maybe he just didn't play video games like my loser rear end did.

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
maybe he is literally einstein reincarnated

pram
Jun 10, 2001
Maybe yr just too neurotypical

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

Maximum Leader posted:

maybe he is literally einstein reincarnated
hmm yes the einstein of linux

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Unironic request we Don't rag on suspicious dish. I actually respect someone that can devote themselves singularly to something. I just can't do it.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
It;s like making fun of enrico fermi or some poo poo.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Suspicious Dish posted:

this explains most of your opinions about desktop ui

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
suspicious dish is obviously a smart dude he just holds some really bad opinions about user interfaces. and, implicitly, beliefs about users.

when you're old, or you have to teach olds, you'll understand: change is intrinsically bad.

this doesn't mean you can't change anything. it does mean that the benefits to current users have to massively outweigh the costs. and that's a really hard case to make for user interfaces

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Mar 3, 2015

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

he just holds some really bad opinions about user interfaces.

:ironicat:

med school head
Apr 17, 2012
Linus is God and you are his children

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

suspicious dish is obviously a smart dude he just holds some really bad opinions about user interfaces. and, implicitly, beliefs about users.

when you're old, or you have to teach olds, you'll understand: change is intrinsically bad.

this doesn't mean you can't change anything. it does mean that the benefits to current users have to massively outweigh the costs. and that's a really hard case to make for user interfaces

change is Good and desktop linux is probably the best ground for ui/ux experimentation. it's almost as if you can use a different de to meet your old man needs???

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

OldAlias posted:

change is Good and desktop linux is probably the best ground for ui/ux experimentation. it's almost as if you can use a different de to meet your old man needs???

lxde is sufficiently close to 95/2000/XP for me.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
I got hired at red hat straight out of high school as a result of my free time open source work. Mostly because by chance, at the time, I was 15 minutes away from the US red hat engineering offices.

An internship eventually turned into a full time position and then eventually I got a bit tired and moved to Endless, where one been since.

Otherwise, I was a fairly bad student who never did his homework and wasted all of it programming or on video games

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Suspicious Dish posted:

I got hired at red hat straight out of high school as a result of my free time open source work. Mostly because by chance, at the time, I was 15 minutes away from the US red hat engineering offices.

An internship eventually turned into a full time position and then eventually I got a bit tired and moved to Endless, where one been since.

Otherwise, I was a fairly bad student who never did his homework and wasted all of it programming or on video games

whoa

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

I hold differing beliefs than you about user interfaces, and also, even though you might not believe it, fairly differing beliefs from a lot of GNOME 3 designers. I won't uphold GNOME 3 as a paragon of UI design that gets everything right. I change its defaults, and I have a lot of gripes and opinions about things I disagree with, some of which have gone into month-long battles.

I believe that GNOME has the strongest chance of the rest of the remaining DEs, and there's plenty of things, like client-side decorations, the new application model (conceptually and sandboxing-wise) that I feel was the correct choice to advance the platform beyond what it is right now.

I think GNOME also has an extremely strong stack technology-wise and is in a lot of ways future-looking.

At Red Hat I discovered that I love the graphics space very much, so I got involved in X11 and Wayland development fairly early on. I take pride in my work that I did, technologically, on developing lower-level components and fixing the rest of the stack to make GNOME a smoother experience all around. GNOME moved the needle in a lot of ways for modern Linux graphics, and I'm happy to see that continue.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

scrap all linux window environments and start over.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Suspicious Dish posted:

this story is a little triggering; I ended up at Netscape roughly the same way

stay safe yoschilde

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
i'm literally an art school dropout turned cj. i should probably look into working for microsoft

Last Chance posted:

scrap all linux window environments and start over.
already been done

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

I knew Suspicious Dish was kind of young so when he talked about Mandrake I was a bit confused because Mandrake was a thing when he was 6!

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Subjunctive posted:

stay safe yoschilde

You're not that neckbeard kid from the Netscape documentary are you lol

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Subjunctive posted:

are you jwz

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Phoenixan posted:

already been done

do it again until you get it right.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

pram posted:

You're not that neckbeard kid from the Netscape documentary are you lol

no. I'm in there, but I can't grow a beard.

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

sisyphus wasn't pushing a rock up a hill, it was a linux cd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Notorious BSD's Law: Every application, no matter how objectively godawfully poo poo, is an integral part of some fucker's workflow and he'll scream and shout if you chance just one thing about it

see also: that thing where Bill Gates wanted pressing F5 in Outlook to forward an email (or whatever) instead of refreshing your inbox