Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

neonchameleon posted:

I really shouldn't bother replying to Plutonis. But. You're wrong on almost every point.

First, anyone talking about "the absolute simplicity of Apocalypse World" doesn't have the first clue what they are talking about. If you want a system with absolute simplicity, pick something like FUDGE. Or even the simple binary resolution mechanics of D&D or WoD. Don't pick something with massively versatile outcomes, that exploits the nature of the bell curve, and that uses a class system to better effect than any other RPG I am aware of (in second place: BECMI - as far as I know Apocalypse World is the first decent innovation in class based RPGs since oD&D in 1974). The design is elegant and has yes-but resolution mechanics.

Second, if you are relying on the system to provide the inspiration for long run campaigns you might as well be playing RISK. The only reason heavier systems do better here is because you spend more time not paying attention to what is going on and instead wrangling with your character sheet. Ultimately most long campaigns in my experience are like 50s Monster Of The Week shows, doing the same thing over and over and no one saying cut despite the cheesy Sfx and the fact we've seen this same plot at least two dozen times before. With combat being filler sections (and AW is ruthless at getting rid of filler).

But Apocalypse World (and even more so Monsterhearts) provides inherent character arcs in a way few other games do (and none I am aware of prior to My Life With Master). In Vampire: the Masquerade you effectively don't have a character class. In oD&D if you are a fighter you are a fighter until you die or you retire and start leading a keep. Later versions of D&D take away the endgame and try to have you dungeon crawling forever. In Apocalypse World you have midseason advances with which you can literally change how your character approaches the world (this is even more pointed with Monsterhearts' Growing Up Moves). You have genuine character growth built into the rules of Apocalypse World. Which makes it much more of a character driven character arc-run game than a sitcom with a reset button. More like films than a syndicated TV show.

And why do people compare it to improv? It isn't. The rules are actually very trad most of the time. What it has is excellent pacing. With improv RP there is a rhythm when you hand over to other players. Apocalypse World is designed such that every single roll the system calls for takes place at one of these natural handover points. This causes as little disruption in the flow of improv-RP as possible. And because of the non-binary resolution mechanics, it adds things other than a simple pass/fail outcome. Meaning that the mechanics not only minmally disrupt improv RP, they add richness, detail, and inspiration. But only where you would stop and hand over to another player. Getting that degree of pacing and variety in the resolution mechanics is not simple design either. But once again it is elegant.

You might claim to have given up childish ways, but so does a teenager in the middle of painting their bedroom black.

Plutonis is right, not that any of you would accept it, and all this going gaga over ternary resolution and proclaiming it as making D&D obsolete is sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

It is a poorly designed game, but a combination of identity politics, sunk cost fallacy, and the uniquely TRPG fallacy of games whose mechanics can never be reviewed critically because "the DM can throw out any rule that's bad" which causes the quality of the game to enter into this "well our table is having fun" quantum state is what pushes it into there's-no-place-for-it territory.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

It is a poorly designed game, but a combination of identity politics, sunk cost fallacy, and the uniquely TRPG fallacy of games whose mechanics can never be reviewed critically because "the DM can throw out any rule that's bad" which causes the quality of the game to enter into this "well our table is having fun" quantum state is what pushes it into there's-no-place-for-it territory.

This still boils down to being upset that something you don't like is popular.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Effectronica posted:

Plutonis is right, not that any of you would accept it, and all this going gaga over ternary resolution and proclaiming it as making D&D obsolete is sad.

I know that posting in D&D has bad effects on short term memory but you do remember he had points before that, chief?

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

PresidentBeard posted:

May god have mercy on our souls.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

neonchameleon posted:

And why do people compare it to improv? It isn't. The rules are actually very trad most of the time. What it has is excellent pacing. With improv RP there is a rhythm when you hand over to other players. Apocalypse World is designed such that every single roll the system calls for takes place at one of these natural handover points. This causes as little disruption in the flow of improv-RP as possible. And because of the non-binary resolution mechanics, it adds things other than a simple pass/fail outcome. Meaning that the mechanics not only minmally disrupt improv RP, they add richness, detail, and inspiration. But only where you would stop and hand over to another player. Getting that degree of pacing and variety in the resolution mechanics is not simple design either. But once again it is elegant.
The reason why Im comparing it to improv is because depending on the format there can be little to no difference between what you just described and an improv show.
EDIT:
Im not saying they are exactly the same because there is a huge spectrum of improvisation and with all that entails but having a randomizer in improv like dice is a commonly used tool.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Mar 3, 2015

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Impermanent posted:

I know that posting in D&D has bad effects on short term memory but you do remember he had points before that, chief?

Who? Plutonis, the interchangeable voice of Trad Games Consensus, the man that only exists in your tiny GBS brain?

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
The poster you quoted, duderino. No one cares about Plutonis.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

neonchameleon posted:

I really shouldn't bother replying to Plutonis. But. You're wrong on almost every point.

:words:
You didn't really catch any of the actual points Plutonis was making and instead wrote an apoplectic fanboy screed that would be right at home on the Paizo forums. You basically wrote "you're wrong because AW has mechanics for this that are totally different and/or better than any other system that I obviously only have second-hand knowledge and understanding of!" in four paragraphs. Well done, you're exactly what you're supposedly railing against.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

PresidentBeard posted:

The other universal language of gaming.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Zurui posted:

On a related note, my biggest problem with AW is that there doesn't seem to be any common pop-culture reference for the "fiction" that Baker has so tightly designed his game around. The three most commonly cited influences (Mad Max, Fallout, and Tank Girl) are so different that finding common ground can be difficult for players starting out. It's gritty like Fallout, but without the cheeky nostalgia. It's epic like Mad Max, but doesn't really support the "lone wanderer" aspect. It's gonzo like Tank Girl, but not cartoony.

It's Joss Whedon's Mad Max: The TV Series, where it's actually set in and around one town so they can reuse sets and keep the budget low.

PresidentBeard posted:

There's absolutely nothing wrong with being upset at the popularity of something that is both in itself bad and whose community is toxic for the hobby as a whole.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Mar 3, 2015

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

PresidentBeard posted:

This is where I justify it on grounds that the other side does it too

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Effectronica posted:

Who? Plutonis, the interchangeable voice of Trad Games Consensus, the man that only exists in your tiny GBS brain?
Now you're just being disingenuous.

On topic, my weekly group just started Iron Kingdoms, and the players decided that they wanted to participate in a resistance movement. (Helpfully there already exists a place in the setting for this.) Considering the dour history of resistance movements this was just a bit surprising, but after reading up on things like the French Resistance during WW2 I should have some direction in which to take things.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Stop replying to the Imp Zone shitposters, you idiots.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Literally this thread right now http://youtu.be/dEGJ651Bwsc?t=2m0s

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

NGDBSS posted:

Now you're just being disingenuous.

On topic, my weekly group just started Iron Kingdoms, and the players decided that they wanted to participate in a resistance movement. (Helpfully there already exists a place in the setting for this.) Considering the dour history of resistance movements this was just a bit surprising, but after reading up on things like the French Resistance during WW2 I should have some direction in which to take things.

The Llael resistance is a weird story space, since yeah it's a little bit "What if the French Resistance and the French Revolution happened at the same time." So you've got grim stories of fighting off foreign occupiers and dashing vigilantes who play the part of collaborators by day but rescue nobles and smuggle them to the resistance by night." So you've got to really make sure everyone's on board with what tone's being aimed for.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.
I miss the hivemind.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Impermanent posted:

If you think of your apocalypse wold games as a logical extension of the metal gear universe everything becomes clear.

:sigh:

Glorified Scrivener
May 4, 2007

His tongue it could not speak, but only flatter.
You know, I love that even here - and this is the best place I've found online to discuss trad games - there is such a genuine willingness to seek consensus, identify common ground and avoid blanket categorical statements that paint all who disagree with you in the same stark polarizing terms.

Moreover the demonstrated keen appreciation of sarcasm, ability to accept gentle and affectionate mockery in stride and the steadfast refusal to declare one's chosen system to be objectively and inherently better than all others, is a refreshing change from the rest of the web. For while those places may be the fetid watering holes of the damned,TG is a oasis of tolerance and understanding, where I've never seen anyone argue that their chosen style of game play is objectively and mechanically superior to others. Certainly here, of all places, I've never seen anyone use the proclaimed superiority of their system to imply that those who prefer another RPG are emotionally stunted, immature, unsanitary, mentally deficient, unfashionable, incapable of appreciating beauty, politically retrograde, possessed of disgustingly middlebrow tastes in art, racially prejudiced or evil.

TLDR; Keep up the good work friends!

Also,

Captain Foo posted:

I used to play D&D and then I didn't, drifted towards more rules-lite systems and then found AW, which has the best mix of rules, setting, and feel that works for what I want to get out of gaming, other people might not and that's fine. I always encourage people to check out aw though because why wouldn't you want more people doing things that you think are good+cool??

This is lovely and cool and should be done more often. And (specifically not in reference to you) It just sucks that half the time it takes on the aspect of a fan of modern sports cars going to a classic car show and crapping all over the vintage rides. They get it, you like fuel injection, it doesn't need to be brought up in every single loving discussion of carburetors.

On topic, I'm trying Far Away Land, Fiasco, Kemet and Ventura in March and will actually be playing in someone else's DCC and 5E games. I'm very happy about this.

P.S. Since I've resolved not to derail/crap in the Next thread anymore myself, a quick shout out to Laphroaig for the second sweetest backhanded compliment I've ever gotten on the forums. Thanks! Free Electrum forever!

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
I hate it when the family fights :( . We're goons! We paid money to be here! We have standards! Let's act like it!

Speaking of war-fighting, I've been wondering how to represent enemies in physical conflict in games, and I'm wondering if part of the problem of absurdly long fights is that most such combat heavy games like to stat out the opposition as individuals. Like, that old classic about "40 Kobolds in playtesting of D&D 5e" is an obvious example. 40 individual enemies is obviously way too many for a person to handle without computer assistance. But if you statted it out as "Kobold Platoon Command", "Kobold Section A, B, C," and "Kobold Magic and Effects Squad", that seems a lot easier to visualize and manage. D&D started out as a wargame, why not use those roots to make things simpler? They already do it with horde enemies; standardize it to apply to any enemy, or at least smaller ones.

Davin Valkri fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Mar 3, 2015

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

My biggest problem with PbtA games is none of the major ones draw me in that much. I'm not interested in Monster Hearts' premise. Dungeon World is "ok" and I'd probably try playing it, but overall is too much like D&D in various ways, IMO.Apocalypse World is the one I'd be most interested in playing, but I'm completely apathetic towards the post-apoc aesthetic.

Then there is the various smaller PbtA games/hacks, but a lot of the build off of Dungeon World's style of PbtA. WWWrpg is the first one that's really grabbed me.

Then again, I have basically no actual play experience with PbtA games aside from one in-ring match of a failed WWWrpg PbP game, so maybd I don't really know what I want.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Mar 3, 2015

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Lemon Curdistan posted:

If this thread were more like the Imp Zone one it would have people tall about their hella cool Exalted characters instead of making bad posts defending *World.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Gau posted:

I miss the hivemind.

The hivemind hated you after all the kickstarter drama, so maybe it's for the best?

Glorified Scrivener posted:

You know, I love that even here - and this is the best place I've found online to discuss trad games - there is such a genuine willingness to seek consensus, identify common ground and avoid blanket categorical statements that paint all who disagree with you in the same stark polarizing terms.

Moreover the demonstrated keen appreciation of sarcasm, ability to accept gentle and affectionate mockery in stride and the steadfast refusal to declare one's chosen system to be objectively and inherently better than all others, is a refreshing change from the rest of the web. For while those places may be the fetid watering holes of the damned,TG is a oasis of tolerance and understanding, where I've never seen anyone argue that their chosen style of game play is objectively and mechanically superior to others. Certainly here, of all places, I've never seen anyone use the proclaimed superiority of their system to imply that those who prefer another RPG are emotionally stunted, immature, unsanitary, mentally deficient, unfashionable, incapable of appreciating beauty, politically retrograde, possessed of disgustingly middlebrow tastes in art, racially prejudiced or evil.

Same.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
That Pathfinder post was terrible, but

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Galaga Galaxian posted:

My biggest problem with PbtA games is none of the major ones draw me in that much. I'm not interested in Monster Hearts' premise. Dungeon World is "ok" and I'd probably try playing it, but overall is too much like D&D in various ways, IMO.Apocalypse World is the one I'd be most interested in playing, but I'm completely apathetic towards the post-apoc aesthetic.

Then there is the various smaller PbtA games/hacks, but a lot of the build off of Dungeon World's style of PbtA. WWWrpg is the first one that's really grabbed me.

Then again, I have basically no actual play experience with PbtA games aside from one in-ring match of a failed PbP game, so maybd I don't really know what I want.

It's pretty easy to convert straight AW to fantasy without turning it into DW - I think LemonCurdistan posted a thing in the AW thread that effectively did it in a single post

e:

Lemon Curdistan posted:

THE BARBARIAN (Gunlugger)
THE CAVALIER (Driver)
THE HEALER (Angel)
THE PRIEST (Hocus)
THE WIZARD (Brainer)
THE BARON (Hardholder)
THE BANDIT (Chopper)
THE ARTIFICER (Savvyhead)
THE ROGUE (Operator)
THE MERCHANT (Skinner)
THE MERCENARY (Battlebabe)

What happened to that mini-hack that had stats for kung-fu and melee stuff so you could run Kenshiro? You could use that as a starting point.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Captain Foo posted:

It's pretty easy to convert straight AW to fantasy without turning it into DW - I think LemonCurdistan posted a thing in the AW thread that effectively did it in a single post

With the caveat that the game will literally just be AW but with horses instead of cars and swords instead of guns, you can do this:

Lemon Curdistan posted:

THE BARBARIAN (Gunlugger)
THE CAVALIER (Driver)
THE HEALER (Angel)
THE PRIEST (Hocus)
THE WARLOCK (Brainer)
THE BARON (Hardholder)
THE BANDIT (Chopper)
THE ARTIFICER (Savvyhead)
THE ROGUE (Operator)
THE MERCHANT (Skinner)
THE MERCENARY (Battlebabe)

Use Fists of Asphalt as a starting point for melee weapons/styles if you want.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

If this thread were more like the Imp Zone one it would have people tall about their hella cool Exalted characters instead of making bad posts defending *World.
If it were more like the imp zone one, everyone would have abandoned it for two months before a tepid revival.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

The first person to do a proper Trek World that actually replicates the themes of the show and isn't just Dungeon World With Phasers will have all of my disposable income.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I still think you should call the fantasy Gunlugger the Swordlugger.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Evil Mastermind posted:

You could do this

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Evil Mastermind posted:

That sounds like an alternate name for someone who uses a FFVII styled giant sword.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
My biggest problem with AW is that it really killed my tolerance for crunch in elfgames. Like, I sometimes get tired of lighter storygames and want to play something different, but when I sit down to stat up some NPCs I immediately go eh...

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

DigitalRaven posted:

Welcome to tradgames, where our universal language is uncritical acceptance of conservative expansionist imperialism with a side of celebrating the Great Man theory of history.

This is why GiP is more fun.

Serf
May 5, 2011

So while talking with a friend about 13th Age, we got on the subject of D&D-alikes and they mentioned one I've never heard of: Fantasycraft. They described it as "D&D but with more cool stuff and fighter-types get nice things", which is always a neat idea in my mind. I was wondering you folks thought it would be worth picking up even if only to pick apart for its ideas.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

hella cool Exalted characters

There's no such thing, though.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Serf posted:

So while talking with a friend about 13th Age, we got on the subject of D&D-alikes and they mentioned one I've never heard of: Fantasycraft. They described it as "D&D but with more cool stuff and fighter-types get nice things", which is always a neat idea in my mind. I was wondering you folks thought it would be worth picking up even if only to pick apart for its ideas.
How much do you like crunch?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Serf posted:

the main thing I remember about fantasycraft is that it made D&D look rules-lite

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Okay so think 3.5. Now imagine if you put together a team of competent engineers and technical writers, and told them to rewrite it to be fair and cool.

What I'm saying is, it's thick and dense and has a lot of mechanics.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

Lichtenstein posted:

My biggest problem with AW is that it really killed my tolerance for crunch in elfgames. Like, I sometimes get tired of lighter storygames and want to play something different, but when I sit down to stat up some NPCs I immediately go eh...

Forever this.

It helps that ptba games are basically a godsend for lazy GMs like myself who like to do things on the fly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Siivola posted:

Okay so think 3.5. Now imagine if you put together a team of competent engineers and technical writers, and told them to rewrite it to be fair and cool.

What I'm saying is, it's thick and dense and has a lot of mechanics.

With the addendum that, if you like that much crunch, it is a good game.

• Locked thread