Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Kingnothing posted:

I have to assume that he's logia type and his body is made of string.

Doesn't this sound more like paramecia type? Like, Luffy's made of rubber, so you can't squish him, Doffy's made of string so he can just sew himself back together? Also, what's Buggy anyway? He can split like mad, but he doesn't look like a logia type..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

EmmyOk posted:

Hasn't Blackbeard only displayed the Gura Gura in one arm? Marco comments Teach's body is different so I'm guessing maybe he lost an arm and had someone else's grafted on. So he can take powers from one person and push them into someone else, and in his case someone else's arm. Now that we know fruit's regenerate I wonder if the Gura Gura will considering it momentarily had no user.

In order for that to work we would have to assume the powers are stored in the arms in the first place which would be jumping to conclusions, not to mention quite silly? Maybe it was already hinted at or explained in the manga but I'm not following it.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Are we getting into the conjoined fetus-twin section of One Piece

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

lordfrikk posted:

In order for that to work we would have to assume the powers are stored in the arms in the first place which would be jumping to conclusions, not to mention quite silly? Maybe it was already hinted at or explained in the manga but I'm not following it.

Literally all they've said is "Yeah his body's real weird so that's probably why" and that's it so far.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Drakkel posted:

Literally all they've said is "Yeah his body's real weird so that's probably why" and that's it so far.

And he was most likely referring to the Darkness fruit, and how its abnormal by Logia standards, making his body abnormal.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

KoB posted:

And he was most likely referring to the Darkness fruit, and how its abnormal by Logia standards, making his body abnormal.

While it's true that they generally consider a devil fruit to be an extension of yourself, I really felt like the line expressed something about his base self, not his fruit. After all, people continue to be surprised by his power's abilities, I would find it strange for them to know his fruit could absorb powers, but not know it could suppress them. Also, he went out of his way to put up a tarp during the absorption process, eluding to something yet unexplained happening.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
He could be a Chimera http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chimera_%28genetics%29

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
The multiple fruits thing is the power of the dark fruit because why would he spend years looking for the worst fruit in existence.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Has anyone mentioned that The Prestige was Blackbeard's favorite movie yet? Because I think it's very important to keep in mind when trying to decide on your preferred baseless theory.

It's totally chimerism though. Don't listen to anyone who says otherwise, not even Oda.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
What has Oda said about Black beard?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Suspicious Lump posted:

Nothing of note other than what's on the page. But I believe in prevent defense, and I won't let Oda besmirch my brilliant theory.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
Not sure who you're having a dig at exactly but does it really matter if people have their own theories? Youre just being a dick for the sole sake of being a dick.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Suspicious Lump posted:

In that SBS where he draw all the warlords as kids it showed Blackbeard probably had a sad childhood but that's it.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

Are we getting into the conjoined fetus-twin section of One Piece

By the looks of it at least this thread is nearly there don't worry.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

lordfrikk posted:

That's not really what I'm getting at, just that his arm is a different body. Lucci said way back at Enies Lobby they understand how DF powers work and that no one can have more than one. If Blackbeard's able to have two abilities solely because of the Yami Yami no Mi then why would he stop at two and not take the Mera Mera instead of giving it to Jesus? I think it was also indicated the Blackbeard Pirates were stealing powers for the crew rather than for Blackbeard himself.

Keep in mind this is not idle fact, but cold hard speculation!

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Suspicious Lump posted:

Not sure who you're having a dig at exactly but does it really matter if people have their own theories? Youre just being a dick for the sole sake of being a dick.

If you read the manga thread you'd know I'm mostly being a dick to myself as chimerism is my one true theory. Though I guess I'm also being a dick to you by publicly being a dick to myself. But all the theories have just this side of jack poo poo to go on and the argument about them can get quite silly.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

EmmyOk posted:

That's not really what I'm getting at, just that his arm is a different body. Lucci said way back at Enies Lobby they understand how DF powers work and that no one can have more than one. If Blackbeard's able to have two abilities solely because of the Yami Yami no Mi then why would he stop at two and not take the Mera Mera instead of giving it to Jesus? I think it was also indicated the Blackbeard Pirates were stealing powers for the crew rather than for Blackbeard himself.

Keep in mind this is not idle fact, but cold hard speculation!

I was under the impression that they were collecting powers for Blackbeard. Which leads me to believe he's going to be the final boss of sorts, with many different powers. Even assuming the fruit does give him this power, and it wasn't his original body's ability, it still doesn't make it "the most evil" fruit as Blackbeard called it.

Drakkel posted:

In that SBS where he draw all the warlords as kids it showed Blackbeard probably had a sad childhood but that's it.

All One Piece childhoods are obligatorily sad. Also your parent(s) must die. Including the adoptive ones.

In fact, only family members and pirate kings die. I'd put money on Monet somehow miraculously surviving like every other person in One Piece, no matter how implausible. (Seriously, Caesar, you couldn't kill a single person with your superweapon? Neither of them?!)

Shadow0 fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Jan 15, 2015

Rage McDougal
Jul 28, 2013

Shadow0 posted:

I was under the impression that they were collecting powers for Blackbeard. Which leads me to believe he's going to be the final boss of sorts, with many different powers. Even assuming the fruit does give him this power, and it wasn't his original body's ability, it still doesn't make it "the most evil" fruit as Blackbeard called it.

I wonder if "the most evil fruit" thing is related to Blackbeard and his crew's strong belief in fate. Like, all its previous users have been really evil dudes, so the fruit is "evil" in that it "chooses" evil people to get its powers or something.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Gold Roger's voice actor passed away :(

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Most evil sounds like a fairly subjective statement tbh. Also what is the precise translation of what he said?

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Well, now I finally understand the manga thread title.

EmmyOk posted:

Most evil sounds like a fairly subjective statement tbh. Also what is the precise translation of what he said?

悪魔の実の歴史上もっとも凶悪とされるのがこの力。
In the history of devil fruits, that which is considered the most atrocious/fiendish/brutal/villainous is this power.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

Shadow0 posted:

悪魔の実の歴史上もっとも凶悪とされるのがこの力。
In the history of devil fruits, that which is considered the most atrocious/fiendish/brutal/villainous is this power.

It is very much this thing.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Fairly slow episode this week, though Bartolomeo continues to be the best. Also that key thing was kind of funny but definitely should have been an issue before now. Looks like next week we're finally going to get Luffy vs Doffy and it looks very cool.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
So, I may in the minority here, but if I were made into a clownish slave for a decade while my wife and children forgot about me and slept with other people, by a clearly remorseless man whose superpower is manipulating people, which he was currently using at that very moment to force random people to indiscriminately kill hundreds of people, I'd have to say I'd be at least a little skeptical and reserved about killing the person I had just declared my own god and several other incredibly powerful and famous combatants including one that just defeated everyone in the Colosseum and became fire itself for a few dollars. But that's just me.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Yeah but Pirates are stupid. If they were at all smart they'd all team up with the Straw Hats etc. and steal Doffy's money afterwards.

Still was amusing to have Usopp be 5 stars because he pissed off Donflamingo the most that day :)

Padawan
Nov 27, 2014

Felt like the last episode spent five minutes showing the stars for the bounties. Hopefully there'll be some actual fighting next week from today's cliffhanger.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
I purchased Film Z by Funimation and just got done watching it. Such a good movie. One question.

Zed has his arm cut off by a pirate, but when he was fighting Luffy at the end, clearly he had both arms during his "Black Arm" moment. What was up with that? Is that a translation error or was it just anime?

E- Thanks guys. Ill have to rewatch the movie again to maybe catch that. Still a good movie and I think Funimation did a bang up job on it. :)

Katamari Democracy fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Feb 16, 2015

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Katamari Democracy posted:

I purchased Film Z by Funimation and just got done watching it. Such a good movie. One question.

Zed has his arm cut off by a pirate, but when he was fighting Luffy at the end, clearly he had both arms during his "Black Arm" moment. What was up with that? Is that a translation error or was it just anime?

He has a smaller, normal artificial hand under his giant one.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Katamari Democracy posted:

Beneath the Battle Smasher is a black, advanced prosthetic that is almost indistinguishable from the real arm that he had lost.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Kild posted:

Beneath the Battle Smasher is a black, advanced prosthetic that is almost indistinguishable from the real arm that he had lost.

I feel like giving your character an advanced prosthetic that is indistinguishable from their original hand kind of ruins the impact of having lost a hand.

One Piece's massively escalating technology kind of bothers me. Especially if you start over an everyone is always :0 when discovering devil fruits are real, but then it's like don't you have TV?

Shadow0 fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Feb 28, 2015

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Shadow0 posted:

I feel like giving your character an advanced prosthetic that is indistinguishable from their original hand kind of ruins the impact of having lost a hand.

One Piece's massively escalating technology kind of bothers me. Especially if you start over an everyone is always :0 when discovering devil fruits are real, but then it's like "Don't you have TV?"

Not really. Where has there been TV outside of a few places like Sabaody?

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I think a better example is the baroque works guy who used a revolver type gun and everyone flipped over it.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

At least One Piece attempts to explain some of the technology as being hooked up to den-den mushi or something and at least attempts to make it look like it fits, compare it to Naruto where it looks like ancient Japan until people pull out totally modern laptops and cell phones and junk.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Drakkel posted:

At least One Piece attempts to explain some of the technology as being hooked up to den-den mushi or something and at least attempts to make it look like it fits, compare it to Naruto where it looks like ancient Japan until people pull out totally modern laptops and cell phones and junk.
That basically falls under 'lazy writing'. Turns out explaining how people find out things in storytelling in old time settings is tedious and time-consuming. Easier to just give everyone cells and laptops. The same thing goes for travelling from point A to point B. DBZ 'solved' both problems with teleportation and Goku doing mental communication. One Piece is handling it very well - the movement of people and information are central parts of the story. People don't just know things suddenly, and people don't just show up out of nowhere (except for when it's cool enough).

Bisse fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Mar 1, 2015

Next-Jin Engine
Dec 7, 2013
I always assumed that the rise of Dr. Vegapunk combined with the availability of insane factors/devil fruit powers present in the Grand Line/New World meant that technology was way more advanced in those places than in the starting Blue oceans. Also, its worth noting that air travel still hasn't been developed for non-devil-fruit users yet, and it doesn't seem like the Navy is keen on shipping new technology back to boring old East Blue. To me, One Piece's technology was strangest back at its very beginning, when they had electric generators for lights and such, but didn't apply that technology toward motorboats.

Also, It's kind of funny to see dial usage fall completely off the wayside, save for the occasional tone dial.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Next-Jin Engine posted:

Also, It's kind of funny to see dial usage fall completely off the wayside, save for the occasional tone dial.

Well that's explained as well, since Dials come from Sky Islands they're supposed to be rare.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
(Can't quote two things on the phone app, but) You're right: we don't see into houses very often, but the populace seems to be kept very well informed by the news even if they don't have TVs. Like when the straw hat bounties went out and all their families etc saw what they were up to.

Next-Jin Engine posted:

I *really* liked Dial Usopp. I thought it was definitely his golden time. He finally felt like the character he was supposed to be and used dials in creative, but sensible ways where it felt fun to watch him fight. Now he just uses plants that do whatever he needs at the time. It's crazy that he didn't combine them with dials and seemingly tossed them all away.

The den den mushi were cool, but they are definitely just cell phones now. Suddenly all the straw hats got their own inexplicably mini den den mushis. I think it would have been fine if it had at least been explained.

Speaking of dials and Skypeia, anyone else notice one of the Supernovas is a Sky person and no one really seemed to make anything of this? That always kind of felt strange to me. It always feels like Oda makes places strange and mysterious and dangerous until Luffy visits and then it's whatever. Like the trillions of cannon fodder Navy men and regular civilians that are visiting or living in the New World just fine.

In fact, so far, the New World really hasn't lived up the hype it got before they entered it. Like Dressrosa seems like a paradise except the pirate currently there. And Punk Hazard was only fairly recently destroyed.

(Also the Coup De Burst technology is overused and seems like bad writing to me)

Wow, this got long, sorry.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Shadow0 posted:

(Can't quote two things on the phone app, but) You're right: we don't see into houses very often, but the populace seems to be kept very well informed by the news even if they don't have TVs. Like when the straw hat bounties went out and all their families etc saw what they were up to.

There's some sort of national newspaper delivered by birds every day that Nami and Robin read all the time while Luffy and most of the rest of the crew ignore with all their might. Apparently on a fairly regular basis bounty updates are delivered through the same system.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Shadow0 posted:

If you're on awful (iOS), hit quote, hit cancel, then quote the next post you wanna quote. They'll both be there.

Alternatively, quote, copy, then paste. But that's if you're not lazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Next-Jin Engine
Dec 7, 2013

Shadow0 posted:

I *really* liked Dial Usopp. I thought it was definitely his golden time. He finally felt like the character he was supposed to be and used dials in creative, but sensible ways where it felt fun to watch him fight. Now he just uses plants that do whatever he needs at the time. It's crazy that he didn't combine them with dials and seemingly tossed them all away.

Yeah, my point earlier had less to do with dials being rare (people are potentially finding out about Skypiea day after day) and more that given the current One Piece flavor of Haki and Cyborgs, it'd be kind of out there to bring in someone just covered head to toe in axe dials, just to match the power output of New World regulars.