Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

mcmagic posted:

Yeah but it's going to be less focused around the FRF rares just because it's the 3rd pack. There are going to be some number of times when you open a Citidel Siege or a Dramoka and you're not be able to play it.

I'm not going to be surprised if the draft strategy is to move into a clan in the second pack, and then just draft whatever bomb is in your FRF pack and then poach every single piece of fixing possible from the Refuges in every FRF pack to go three color to support your rear end in a top hat Citadel Siege or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

mcmagic posted:

Yeah but it's going to be less focused around the FRF rares just because it's the 3rd pack. There are going to be some number of times when you open a Citidel Siege or a Dramoka and you're not be able to play it.

Yo I'm pretty sure I can't play Citidel Siege or Dramoka in any format.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

rabidsquid posted:

The most fun part of limited is a really irresponsible splash for a one of you probably shouldn't have drafted.

I doubt its all that irresponsible with guaranteed fixing in every FRF pack and the first two packs not being tri-color stuff.

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master

Mr. Peepers posted:

To be frank the breathless "dragons draGONS DRAGONS!!!! :byodood:" tone of most of the preview articles has gotten kinda ridiculous.

It makes sense thematically; Sarkhan is basically a grown up dinosaur-obsessed six year old who managed to turn an entire planet into Jurassic Park.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I once double splashed for Olivia Voldaren into a UW deck. It was the right move. She won all sorts of games better mana or another spirit wouldn't have. Also I guess it let me flashback Forbidden Alchemy.

I once splashed an INDEX and a Jace Memory Adept in R/B off of literal two islands, but this was 4 pack sealed where Memory Adept may be the most powerful limited card in any format, and where I was more likely to be rewarded for my extreme greed. I was.

Angry Grimace posted:

I doubt its all that irresponsible with guaranteed fixing in every FRF pack and the first two packs not being tri-color stuff.

If you have proper fixing that's not really a splash, that's just your deck.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I once drafted a five-colour Shimmering Grotto deck in Innistrad, because someone told me not to. I had Grimgrin and Mikaeus, it was glorious.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

rabidsquid posted:

I once splashed an INDEX and a Jace Memory Adept in R/B off of literal two islands, but this was 4 pack sealed where Memory Adept may be the most powerful limited card in any format, and where I was more likely to be rewarded for my extreme greed. I was.

FRF bombs are a little gross and so far, so are DTK ones, which is what I was worried about.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

rabidsquid posted:

Jace Memory Adept is nuts in Limited yeah. Similarly Sword of Body and Mind.

Anything that says Mill 10 and can be easily repeated is stupid good. We had a guy passed Jace pack 3 in a Chaos Draft (everyone picks any 3 packs) at our store and we all just :catstare: at the guy who passed it to him.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Chamale posted:

Why? If you counter a bomb, it's in the graveyard. If you Memory Lapse a bomb, they cast it again soon.

I had my Phyrexian Arena lapse'd last night and let me tell you it ruined my tempo forever as the thing I cast to draw cards ended up being drawn twice, and my turn 3 vanished into the abyss. I wept and wailed but it was no use; it was turn 4 and I was in exactly the same shape, except my opponent now had the mana to dissolve my next play or electrolyze my elf.

Memory Lapse is a turbo-fucker of tempo plays. it's, like, 4th place in terms of 2cmc counterspells, and that's only because the competition is a disgusting slideshow of reasons they never do that anymore.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Cernunnos posted:

Jace Memory Adept is nuts in Limited yeah. Similarly Sword of Body and Mind.

Anything that says Mill 10 and can be easily repeated is stupid good. We had a guy passed Jace pack 3 in a Chaos Draft (everyone picks any 3 packs) at our store and we all just :catstare: at the guy who passed it to him.

I actually forgot about Sword which comes down much sooner, but has to get a hit in. Tough call. Anything with a repeatable mill 10 in a 30 card deck format is ridiculous though. Imagine a 5 mana PW with 0: Target player gains 4 poison counters. Because it's basically that in 4 pack.

I think it edges out Drana and Olivia Voldaren as the most unbeatable limited bombs I have ever played with. At least in 4 pack.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I dunno, wouldn't two activations of Memory Adept basically always be fatal against a 30 card deck? Seems more like 0: Target player gains 5 poison counters or the Tezz/Vault combo in Vintage.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I dunno, wouldn't two activations of Memory Adept basically always be fatal against a 30 card deck? Seems more like 0: Target player gains 5 poison counters or the Tezz/Vault combo in Vintage.

Yeah, even in forty card land, by the time Jace hits the table your opponent has at most 28 or so cards in their deck, so it's a 3 turn clock. In Thirty card it's a one card two-turn clock, which is insane.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

That's just because JaceMA is the bombiest bomb that ever bombed. And they printed it three straight years.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Ugin's gonna be so pissed off when he wakes ups and finds out that the Mending happened at some point and now he's way less powerful than he was before.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Angry Grimace posted:

Ugin's gonna be so pissed off when he wakes ups and finds out that the Mending happened at some point and now he's way less powerful than he was before.

Worst hangover ever.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Angry Grimace posted:

Ugin solves political problems by flooding the plane with dragons, so he can get hosed. :colbert:

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Angry Grimace posted:

Man, Sarkhan could've gone to Dominaria in the past and checked out Shivan Dragons and poo poo. If there's one thing Dominaria likes it's time tomfoolery.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Mercury Crusader posted:

Man, Sarkhan could've gone to Dominaria in the past and checked out Shivan Dragons and poo poo. If there's one thing Dominaria likes it's time tomfoolery.

Timefoolery, if you will

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
In Return to Tarkir, Renouned Weaponsmith becomes a planeswalker. He time-travels back to the days of the kingdom of Alaborn in the plane of Dominaria during Fate Reloaded. Then he spreads the use of firearms throughout Tarkir for the setting of Guns of Tarkir.

There will be enemy fetch lands. Maybe a Metal Gear.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Rinkles posted:

"I was told to make a wall of forest detritus and man-made odds and ends. Later somebody went around my AD and got some poor dude in Production to mutilate it in Photoshop. Thus the illustration you see here and the card don't quite match.

This, too, sometimes happens, dear ones. Just take the money and move on. ;)"

http://www.deviantart.com/art/Wall-of-Mulch-70658352

Even with the large version I still can't parse that art at all

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Mercury Crusader posted:

In Return to Tarkir, Renouned Weaponsmith becomes a planeswalker. He time-travels back to the days of the kingdom of Alaborn in the plane of Dominaria during Fate Reloaded. Then he spreads the use of firearms throughout Tarkir for the setting of Guns of Tarkir.

There will be enemy fetch lands. Maybe a Metal Gear.

In the second set of that block, Sarkhan and Ugin's children must team up to save the world from the NRA. That'll be the backdrop for Sons of Tarkir.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
When do we get to see Vial of Dragonfire? My money's still on "just as unplayable as Heartpiercer Bow".

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Entropic posted:

When do we get to see Vial of Dragonfire? My money's still on "just as unplayable as Heartpiercer Bow".

I hope it's the updated, pushed-to-hell aeolipile we all desire and deserve.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I hope it's the updated, pushed-to-hell aeolipile we all desire and deserve.

It's just Jitte with Dragon Counters instead of charge counters.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Attorney at Funk posted:

It's just Jitte with Dragon Counters instead of charge counters.

A man can dream.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
Functional aethervial reprint at rare here we come!

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Chamale posted:

It's OK for a counterspell to be worse than Counterspell and still be playable, just like a burn spell can be worse than Lightning Bolt and still playable. Giving your opponent a 100% chance of drawing a spell next turn is usually worse than casting Counterspell and hoping your opponent has a worse card on top of their deck. When we're ignoring mana costs, Memory Lapse is worse than a hard counter, but it's a good card because it costs 1U to cast. There are other 1U counterspells that may or may not be better than Memory Lapse, like Mana Leak and Remove Soul, that depend on context.

In cube there are a lot of situations where "top of the deck" is actually a better target destination for the opponent's spell than the graveyard. Especially if your cube is like mine and has a significant amount of graveyard interaction. It definitely all depends on context, which is my point, countering to the top of the library is not a drawback in the same way as losing life or exiling cards from your hand would be. It's just part of what the spell does.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

There are a few situations, but a hard counter is generally stronger because your opponent will not be able to use that card again. That means you can selectively shoot down their outs.

That's not to say that Memory Lapse can't be a great tempo play, but it's clearly not as good as a 1U Counterspell would be.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

Angry Grimace posted:

How does a person who hates dragons exist? :mad:
I'm just glad there are more people than just me who don't think dragons are cool.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Veyrall posted:

I'm just glad there are more people than just me who don't think dragons are cool.

You're not alone. And hell, you're not wrong either.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
You know, I was convinced I'd never see a fetchland in a FRF pack. Then, bought a couple of packs at Target today, got a Wooded Foothills in the last pack. Worth more than the other rares, so yay!

Also, all this talk about not liking dragons makes me feel like more of a minority for wanting to build my dream commander deck around Scion of the Ur-Dragon. :kiddo:

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

InterrupterJones posted:

Also, all this talk about not liking dragons makes me feel like more of a minority for wanting to build my dream commander deck around Scion of the Ur-Dragon. :kiddo:

That sounds rad as hell.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Given the number of sets and settings WotC has to make for Magic, especially now that they put out two unique blocks each year, it was pretty much inevitable that we'd get Dragon World eventually. If you don't like dragons, that's cool, but this set isn't for you. Both Avacyn Restored and Dragons of Tarkir are standalone big sets, so it's not like we're seeing old-school 3 set blocks with these heavy tribal themes like we might have in olden times.

I am disappointed that they couldn't figure out a balanced dragon that could be a common.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

whydirt posted:

Given the number of sets and settings WotC has to make for Magic, especially now that they put out two unique blocks each year, it was pretty much inevitable that we'd get Dragon World eventually. If you don't like dragons, that's cool, but this set isn't for you. Both Avacyn Restored and Dragons of Tarkir are standalone big sets, so it's not like we're seeing old-school 3 set blocks with these heavy tribal themes like we might have in olden times.

I am disappointed that they couldn't figure out a balanced dragon that could be a common.

Look if they print a 1R Dragon that's Legacy playable they can do whatever the gently caress they want

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

InterrupterJones posted:

Nah, don't feel bad, all these rad dragons (plus OG Kolaghan) makes me want to make something in Grixis colors that basically results in "dragons smash". :v:

(of course I also want to make a commander deck around Alesha And Her ETB Trigger Homies so I know that feel)

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

TheKingofSprings posted:

Look if they print a 1R Dragon that's Legacy playable they can do whatever the gently caress they want

Kickass Valuedragon
1R
Creature- Dragon
Flying
When ~ enters the battlefield, sacrifice a nonbasic land.
3/2

:getin:

obviously way too strong for standard. maybe if I changed it to "sacrifice two lands?"

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Kickass Valuedragon
1R
Creature- Dragon
Flying
3/2

obviously way too strong for standard. maybe if I changed it to "sacrifice two lands?"

That sounds awful

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

TheKingofSprings posted:

That sounds awful

As worded, it's just 2 mana for a 3/2 flying as long as you have only basic lands, which seems ok to me.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Kickass Valuedragon
1R
Creature- Dragon
Flying
3/2

Destroy target land you control, Sea Drake style. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Kickass Valuedragon
1R
Creature- Dragon
Flying
3/2

Sac two lands would suck I think. Sac a nonbasic would make it niche, but Legacy-playable in Burn possibly.

Comedy option: 3/4 Flying Haste sac two nonbasics. Definitely playable in Burn (which doesn't run nonbasics usually)

• Locked thread