Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Spiderdrake posted:

Eh, Remand rates ahead when you draft storm since the tempo is the important part of the counter, and the lost card can be pretty huge.

And cantrip chaining is ... vaguely a thing...

Remanding your own spell in a counter war is kind of fun, especially if its being countered by something with value like Cryptic or a Flusterstorm you could never beat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

rabidsquid posted:

Remanding your own spell in a counter war is kind of fun, especially if its being countered by something with value like Cryptic or a Flusterstorm you could never beat.

At the Open this past weekend we saw a stack of: Goyf > Opposing Remand targeting Goyf > Remand targeting Goyf > Opposing Remand targeting first Opposing Remand.

That was a little bizarre to watch and also kinda impressive.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Owen Turtenwald ‏@OwenTweetenwald 3m3 minutes ago
Please stop making so many dragons.

Yup

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Owen's tweets alternate between super whiny and trying to hit on Taylor Swift.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
There's gotta be a fun Dragon tribal deck out there.

In Mardu colors you could get Kolaghan, Stormbreath/Sarkhan and JEMdragon together and drop some big bombs.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here
Anybody that doesn't want Dragons in Magic: The Gathering: Dragons of Tarkir: We Put a Shitload of Dragons in This Set is going to be sorely disappointed.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Kabanaw posted:

Anybody that doesn't want Dragons in Magic: The Gathering: Dragons of Tarkir: We Put a Shitload of Dragons in This Set is going to be sorely disappointed.

I hate dragons so I'm hoping there's just enough cool other poo poo to make it fun.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
How does a person who hates dragons exist? :mad:

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Did the Shaman really need the "spend this mana only on creatures" clause? I mean a card that most of the time is a Joraga Treespeaker with +1/+1 doesn't feel all that mythic and the shaman is arguably worse. It does fix your mana, I guess.

Ojetor fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Mar 3, 2015

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I hate dragons so I'm hoping there's just enough cool other poo poo to make it fun.

Do you hate dragons because you hate medium-to-large flying creatures with tribal elements or because they're big overhyped lizards? Because if it's the latter, good news, you can just pretend they're all sphinxes or giant rats with rotors strapped to them and the game will be mechanically equivalent.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Ojetor posted:

Did the Shaman really need the "spend this mana only on creatures" clause? I mean a card that most of the time is a Joraga Treespeaker with +1/+1 doesn't feel all that mythic and the shaman is arguably worse.

Oddly enough, I think it was to prevent you from having Mana droks+ this guy, and using other this guyses to activate this guy. This is not a good Joraga treespeaker, it is the best Biorhythm they feel like they can print.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Kabanaw posted:

giant rats with rotors strapped to them
Can this be the next set's theme?

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

To be frank the breathless "dragons draGONS DRAGONS!!!! :byodood:" tone of most of the preview articles has gotten kinda ridiculous.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Chamale posted:

Why? If you counter a bomb, it's in the graveyard. If you Memory Lapse a bomb, they cast it again soon. The only formats Memory Lapse get played in now are Cube and Commander, which are both bomby.

The MTGO Cube is not equal to "Cube". A well-built cube is not bomby unless that was the designer's intention.

Memory Lapse is sick and putting it on top is not a drawback unless you're comparing to Counterspell, which isn't a fair comparison (it's like comparing burn spells to Lightning Bolt.)

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Rinkles posted:

Wall chat got me to realize the Onslaught Wall of Mulch was a hideous photoshop edit of a painting (I thought it was a bad photoshop original).

The original was restored in the M15 reprint.

Actually I'd be willing to bet that the M15 version looks better because of Photoshop.

For them to have gotten the Onslaught version from the "original painting" they would have literally had to go in and add things that weren't there like the spikes in the mulch and the shadow on the overhanging leaf. I don't know Wizard's art policy but I'm guessing they just tweak maybe color and contrast a little if anything, and don't full on add poo poo that wasn't there.

What more likely happened is that an artist got better in the 12 year period between Onslaught and M15 and when they requested the art again (not sure how they store files) the artist digitally repainted it with more skill and modern Photoshop that looks more like real painting.

Sorry, Photoshop is one of my trigger words.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Kabanaw posted:

I do have to say that when there are common dragons that are unplayable in draft it pretty much makes the "dragon"creature type less special.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Mr. Peepers posted:

To be frank the breathless "dragons draGONS DRAGONS!!!! :byodood:" tone of most of the preview articles has gotten kinda ridiculous.

If it makes you feel better, one of them seems playable in Standard (and the rest are the kind of gross limited bombs a lot of people hate because they turn draft into pack wars.) I will say a little concerned about the limited environment due to that and we haven't seen 2 of the monocolored rare dragons yet nor any of the 2 uncommon cycles (the uncommon dragons in FRF were also pretty bomby uncommons) and this set drafts with FRF which is already all rare bombs.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Lord Of Texas posted:

The MTGO Cube is not equal to "Cube". A well-built cube is not bomby unless that was the designer's intention.

Memory Lapse is sick and putting it on top is not a drawback unless you're comparing to Counterspell, which isn't a fair comparison (it's like comparing burn spells to Lightning Bolt.)

It's OK for a counterspell to be worse than Counterspell and still be playable, just like a burn spell can be worse than Lightning Bolt and still playable. Giving your opponent a 100% chance of drawing a spell next turn is usually worse than casting Counterspell and hoping your opponent has a worse card on top of their deck. When we're ignoring mana costs, Memory Lapse is worse than a hard counter, but it's a good card because it costs 1U to cast. There are other 1U counterspells that may or may not be better than Memory Lapse, like Mana Leak and Remove Soul, that depend on context.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

bhsman posted:

Has UB/Sultai had any opponent-mill cards besides Nemesis Wave? The only other one I can think of are all Jeskai/Ojutai-related.

EDIT: As in cards meant to mill the opponent, not as a way to fuel Delve.

People asked Maro about if UB isn't going to get saddled with mill trash forever and he said like mill is still in UB but they're more cognizant now that people would appreciate some other things.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Yawgmoth posted:

Can this be the next set's theme?

Ratnica, and eventually Return to Ratnica.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Angry Grimace posted:

If it makes you feel better, one of them seems playable in Standard )and the rest are the kind of gross limited bombs a lot of people hate because they turn draft into pack wars.)

None of those are bombs in the way that some of the FRF dragons were.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Actually I'd be willing to bet that the M15 version looks better because of Photoshop.

For them to have gotten the Onslaught version from the "original painting" they would have literally had to go in and add things that weren't there like the spikes in the mulch and the shadow on the overhanging leaf. I don't know Wizard's art policy but I'm guessing they just tweak maybe color and contrast a little if anything, and don't full on add poo poo that wasn't there.

What more likely happened is that an artist got better in the 12 year period between Onslaught and M15 and when they requested the art again (not sure how they store files) the artist digitally repainted it with more skill and modern Photoshop that looks more like real painting.

Sorry, Photoshop is one of my trigger words.

"I was told to make a wall of forest detritus and man-made odds and ends. Later somebody went around my AD and got some poor dude in Production to mutilate it in Photoshop. Thus the illustration you see here and the card don't quite match.

This, too, sometimes happens, dear ones. Just take the money and move on. ;)"

http://www.deviantart.com/art/Wall-of-Mulch-70658352

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Spiderdrake posted:

Eh, Remand rates ahead when you draft storm since the tempo is the important part of the counter, and the lost card can be pretty huge.

And cantrip chaining is ... vaguely a thing...

Remanding your own storm spell with a stifle/trickbind on the storm trigger also owns!

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
So what percentage of the rares in this set are going to be dragons? 50? 70?
I wanna see the uncommon dragons already.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Kabanaw posted:

Do you hate dragons because you hate medium-to-large flying creatures with tribal elements or because they're big overhyped lizards? Because if it's the latter, good news, you can just pretend they're all sphinxes or giant rats with rotors strapped to them and the game will be mechanically equivalent.

A bit of both actually. Most of the iconic subtypes don't really have any flavor pop for me. That includes Demons though a few of them lately have been up my alley: (Bloodgift, Master of the Feast, Archfiend of Depravity.) But also I think the game is better when big flying finishers don't show up in every color. Especially green.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Potential new creature type to replace Dragons in the new set.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

mcmagic posted:

None of those are bombs in the way that some of the FRF dragons were.

2RR zap dragon, a Duneblast dragon, a mono-white 4-power flyer. I'm pretty sure these are bomby as gently caress and don't even lock you into a color combo.

Then, a cycle of 5 dual-colored bomb dragons - being as good as Dromoka Prime doesn't change that they're still huge bombs.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

I want UW control because Fated Retribution seems like it does a lot against decks that use Elspeth and Sorin to be resilient to Wraths.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

IIRC there's 26 dragons slated to be in this set. 1 common dragon (moved to uncommon during development), uncommon and rare cycles for both monocolored and multicolored, plus the dragonlords.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Snacksmaniac posted:

Potential new creature type to replace Dragons in the new set.

I've been waiting for them to print some more good cards for my A Bat Carrying a Block of Wax tribal deck.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
I have to admit, as someone who really hates dragon/angel creep, the previews have somehow been getting me on board.

I think it's because multicolor dragons with interesting designs (visually speaking, but also mechanically in some cases) are more interesting than when it's just an obligatory :effort: red flying fatty because nearly every set/block/setting needs to have one and besides Creative found a word in the thesaurus that they hadn't appended to "dragon" or "hellkite" yet.

Ideally after doing Literally The Dragon Plane they'd have blown their load and wouldn't need to shoehorn a dragon in anywhere for the next two or three years, but we're probably not that lucky.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Angry Grimace posted:

2RR zap dragon, a Duneblast dragon, a mono-white 4-power flyer. I'm pretty sure these are bomby as gently caress and don't even lock you into a color combo.

Then, a cycle of 5 dual-colored bomb dragons - being as good as Dromoka Prime doesn't change that they're still huge bombs.

I didn't say they wern't good in limited... They are. But i think the rare power level so far is down from FRF.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

rabidsquid posted:

I've been waiting for them to print some more good cards for my A Bat Carrying a Block of Wax tribal deck.

You and me both and I'd love to see more justifications for some color bleed in Bats with Wax.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

mcmagic posted:

I didn't say they wern't good in limited... They are. But i think the rare power level so far is down from FRF.

Fun fact: FRF is still in the draft pool at the same exact ratio it was in the current draft format. It would mean the format just becomes even bombier and less color specific.

In other news, I'm going to be super disappointed if Origins doesn't have Baneslayer Angel in it.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Snacksmaniac posted:

You and me both and I'd love to see more justifications for some color bleed in Bats with Wax.

I don't care how much you argue that nature mages should be able to summon bees. Beeswax is nowhere near Green's section of the color pie, even as a bleed.
:goonsay:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Angry Grimace posted:

Fun fact: FRF is still in the draft pool at the same exact ratio it was in the current draft format. It would mean the format just becomes even bombier and less color specific.

In other news, I'm going to be super disappointed if Origins doesn't have Baneslayer Angel in it.

Yeah but it's going to be less focused around the FRF rares just because it's the 3rd pack. There are going to be some number of times when you open a Citidel Siege or a Dramoka and you're not be able to play it.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Rinkles posted:

"I was told to make a wall of forest detritus and man-made odds and ends. Later somebody went around my AD and got some poor dude in Production to mutilate it in Photoshop. Thus the illustration you see here and the card don't quite match.

This, too, sometimes happens, dear ones. Just take the money and move on. ;)"

http://www.deviantart.com/art/Wall-of-Mulch-70658352

That's serious bullshit that Wizards straight altered it. I would have demanded they remove my credit. I hope their policy is better now.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

mcmagic posted:

Yeah but it's going to be less focused around the FRF rares just because it's the 3rd pack. There are going to be some number of times when you open a Citidel Siege or a Dramoka and not be able to play it.

The most fun part of limited is a really irresponsible splash for a one of you probably shouldn't have drafted.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
They should just keep having different planeswalkers go back in time to change things so we end up with a series of alternate Tarkirs every time the timeline changes. Dragons of Tarkir. Snakes of Tarkir. Bearlords of Tarkir. Dogs of Tarkir. Elk-men of Tarkir.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

rabidsquid posted:

The most fun part of limited is a really irresponsible splash for a one of you probably shouldn't have drafted.

I once double splashed for Olivia Voldaren into a UW deck. It was the right move. She won all sorts of games better mana or another spirit wouldn't have. Also I guess it let me flashback Forbidden Alchemy.

• Locked thread